Cartoons that are just live-action shows, but animated

All the cartoons that I know of (Including the adult animations) all handicap themselves. In the most common instances, they're on the same, or lower, level of that that the most average of live-action productions offer. In ever other instance, the shows just go "Uranus space wizards born from a lion in an underwater gold volcano" crazy. There isn't any middle ground.

Now, given that someone is bound to counter that, I want to know what cartoons do play it "straight". Cartoons where they're not trying to be cute. Cartoons where it doesn't seem like characters are intelligent one minute and downright braindead the next. Cartoons where the plot doesn't have the most asinine of reasons for progressing. Cartoons where the production company actually acts like their audiences are intelligent people who don't need a forced in joke every other minute.

The "closest" shows I know of that do this are Avatar: TLA, the DCAU, and Star Trek: TAS.

I guess Spectacular Spiderman could fall into this as well.

Samurai Jack would probably also be a contender (Notice the lack of humor during the non-joke episodes?).

lol

I was going to say that

Maybe (((Weisman's))) other shows but less so

Spawn although everybody says Spawn sucks and last time I saw it I was 12

I've heard that the show is like a more mature Batman: TAS, but didn't care to watch it after they got the tits out in the first episode.

You do not need sex to sell a series. That's what PlayBoy, strip clubs, hentai, and the internet are for.

Kill yourself you puritan piece of trash.

That's a pretty fair reason to quit early, honestly.

Any action cartoon in the 80s

Should the original Voltron and Robotech be included in that, or would it be better to watch the original Japanese shows, or is there enough substance in both versions of both series that you're not really wasting any time?

The animation guides basically enforced the live-action feel whenever possible.

you beat me by 30 seconds

I often think of KotH as one of the least cartoonish cartoons out there, just because the number of times it did things that would be impossible in real life were so few. Yeah, it stretched the bounds of probability sometimes, but it never went into the realm of the impossible. Yes there are a few exceptions; sue me

This. When will you realize that cartoons are for little kids who don't care about quality?

The one weird thing I can think of KOTH is that time they had to fight a McMansion that was going to fall on them.

Dubs of truth.

What about the Looney Tunes Show? I'd say it's on a middleground between slapstick cartoon humor and sitcon.

Are you a 90s parent? Sure, it's shit that people want to shove sex in anything, but that¡s not barely a bad reason to drop a show, specially when it doesn't happen often.
In any case, the thing is worth it.

This Holla Forums shitposting is getting out of hand.

It's not the sex factor, it's more using that as a way to bring people in that's the issue. I'm not sure how often the show did that but a show that relies on sexual references just to get an audience is a soulless show I have no interest in.

How so? If the show relied on that, sure, but that wasn't the case.
>>>/christian/
>>>/nofap/
>>>/suicide/

I'm just going off what the one user said. Sex appeal should never be the first thing that drags your audience in. Story and characters is always more important. Wanna add sex appeal? Fine. Just don't make it in your face with no rhyme or reason to it.

Spawn does suck. I watched an episode the other day. It's just as dull and boring as you'd expect from a 90's Image comic.

there was also that time that Peggy fell out of the airplane and didn't die

Should've shot her first

The architecture was very unlike a live-action show though. Rooms felt realer because they weren't designed with filming in mind.

Isn't that the show where Daffy has been crashing at Bugs' house for years, and Speedy Gonzales owns a restaurant?

Yes.

Aeon Flux, Jonny Quest, Fire and Ice, Heavy Traffic, American Pop, Hey Good Lookin', Titan AE, the old Max Fleischer Superman cartoons, Light Years, Time Masters, Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure Of All, Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin, Fantastic Planet, A Scanner Darkly, Waking Life, The Maxx, Gold Digger: The Raft Of Time, Starcom: The U.S. Space Force.

That's just off the top my head, there's probably more if I bothered to do some research.

Of course there's much more anime that doesn't insult your intelligence, but I'm assuming that wasn't indicated in the topic.

Please, list some Japanese media. After I finish Silver Spoon and rewatch Murder Princess (It's been years since I've seen it), I'll be looking for some series to watch.

Well, there's Ghost In The Shell, Black Magic M-66, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Spirited Away, Sword Of The Stranger, My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Serial Experiments Lain, The Castle of Cagliostro, and Cowboy Bebop.

If Jack was live action, it would be an averaged-budget Jean Claude Van Damme movie.

Anime defaults to cinematic filmmaking, and shows and movies that are essentially equivalent to live action are a dime a dozen, too many to list and no point in listing them. A manga getting both an anime and live action adaptation is also something that happens all the time (March Comes in Like a Lion being a recent example).

I dunno I find almost all anime unwatchable

Have you tried FMA:B? Or a movie like Redline? What exactly makes it unwatchable to you?

To follow up on my question, I decided to take the plunge and started watching Robotech. And, dear Lord, how far we have fallen is very evident in the first 6 or 7 episodes. They could have picked better voice actors, but everything else about the show is phenomenal. And, I didn't even grow up with the show. Now, I'm really expecting to be surprised when I go to watch one of the fully Western made shows from around the same time (Or earlier).

Not liking standard Weebshit is one thing, but people who think all anime sucks are just retards who don't realize how much variation there is in the medium.

If you've got time for it, you should watch a few episodes of the original Macross as well so you can compare them and decide which one you'd rather keep watching.

weird-ass way to spell /a/ dude

/a/ a shit too but Holla Forums shitposters are what's plaguing the board right now.

So are your guys constraints on animation: not possible in real life?

I can't imagine KotH without the contrast or caricature-like designs

A pizza restaurant no less

Anime is Japanese, and therefore can't be wannabe Japanese.

People calling anime "weeaboo" is nearly as cringe as someone calling an African person "Afro-American".

I'll never get the interest in pushing realism in todays cartoons today. I know hipsters have no imagination but damn.

Oh god that tank scene!

Damn thats badass. Maybe I should give htis show a second shot. When I last saw this show it came off more like Seinfeld than traditional Looney Tunes. Who sung this song?

If I remember correctly it was between that and Regular Show; Grounded in reality but has its moments of absurdity while not going down to random gags.

Regular show always reminded me of Super Jail due to the crazy shit that would always happen at the end of each episode. I kind of feel bad for misjudging this cartoon. I thought Amazing World of Gumball was some mediocre Simpsons knock off turns out its pretty good.