Add-ons / WebExtensions

Is Firefox deleting the old extensions and why are they switching?

Other urls found in this thread:

blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/
pi-hole.net/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1226547
github.com/mozilla-services/syncserver
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
fuchsia.googlesource.com/docs/ /master/book.md
adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/beta
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.mozilla.org
logs.glob.uno/?c=mozilla#firefox
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bookmarks-folder-images/
addons.palemoon.org/extensions/
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?platform=windows&sort=users&appver=56.0
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?platform=windows&sort=users&appver=57.0
techdows.com/category/firefox
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/?sort=rating
forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3033684
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/addons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes they are. They are switching to become (((chrome)))-lite. Also they are switching to maintain binary compatibility with chrome/chromium's ever changing web extensions plugins. This also blocks effective ad blockers from working correctly.

Firefox are moving to a new extension that is incompatible with the old one. They are doing this to improve the performance and security of Firefox. The old extension system allowed too much freedom to the people who wrote the extensions and this is a security nightmare.

I thought Chrome had ublock. Are you telling me that Chrome's ublock doesn't work correctly?

When you confront WebEx fags with the fact XUL has never had any history of "compromising browser security" their shilling narrative falls apart.

Chrome has shitty add-ons, WebEx is what it uses. It neuters the functionality and versatility of what can be done for sandboxed (((security))).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Of course sandboxing does nothing to prevent your data from leaking and Firefoxs own security has led to more problems than independent developers. Nevermind you could simply sandbox your browser if you felt like it.

Different user. Ublock Origin at lease is currently a hybrid thing where the new type of extension is embedded in the old. While that makes transitioning easier it means it shows up as LEGACY in FF.

Nothing Mozilla has done in 3 years has improved FF. Their latest decision to throw their power users under the bus is the last straw and I wont be using it anymore.

You could always use my browser user. :)

This. Why does Firefox suddenly need to baby their users?

Go back.

They just decided to become like their pimp-daddy Google.

Embracing fascist-racist-Nazi-like lowest common denominator SJW equality and conformity fanatics on the quest to destroy all what makes a software different from the rest.

After all, we all are humans, there should not be any difference in any direction. All must be stupid, simple - so the most dust dumbest moron is able to feel comfortable in his safe space without being humiliated by some chec-kbox or general function he /she is unable to understand.

All while embracing Soros and decide that only left propaganda is the real truth.

Mozilla are racist fascist pussies. No respect, no love. Only pure unlimited hate and disgust towards that autistic losers!

Will adblockers really not work anymore with the new system or is that just FUD?

They will not work. Image scrappers won't work, anything that downloads files won't work.

Why?
Why would anyone think breaking adblockers is a good idea?

Well because muh shekels user. (((We))) need to make a profit from you goyim somehow. Can't stop that indoctrination program of your youth just because jewgle sinks a few trillion dollars into nothingness can (((we)))?

it is FUD

proof? im running ublock origins on firefox nightly right now faggot

you are running it but it's not working

actually it is working just fine. stop spreading fud you faggot

Did you make sure it works? Does it block the same amount as before?
Either way soon it will stop working completely when firefox drops support for old add-ons.

are you retarded?
here let me greentext you the conversation so far:

i am running ublock origins as a webextension right fucking now on firefox nightly, which only allows webextensions. it is working. you made the claim that adblockers wont work as webextensions. where is your proof?

Seriously? There's a lot of people that have downloaded to block ads. I am using the ublock and adnausaem on firefox.

SO IT BEGINS
THE GREAT JEWENING OF OUR TIME

bullshit

THIS

It's not only for that, it's also because XUL didin't support containers.
But they could have made it work instead of reusing shitty chrome webextensions.
This is completely false
Download ff35 and ff55 you'll see the difference.

adblock edge have disapeared from their "store"...

Holy shit. It's happening.
I don't trust matrix nor ublock origin.

Hopefully we see a new Linux distro that disables root and blocks access to terminal because the old system is a security nightmare and gives too much power to the user :^)

FF's problem is that they keep removing features or making features worse. People are leaving because everyone has a tolerance to how much bullshit they can deal with. But it's a slow trickle of users who can't deal with features being removed or nerfed.

Now, they are basically deleting their massive add-on library, which has been a huge selling point of FF, to start from nothing with a new system. All the people who used FF because of the add-ons now can get better add-ons from Chrome. So they will move, maybe to Chrome, but at the very least, away from FF.

Mozilla has become completely inept. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the inside was working to destroy FF.

They are switching because the old ones were a security and performance nightmare. Remember the "Firefox memory leaks!" memes? The "Firefox security broken!" memes? Almost all of those were actually broken extensions.
Idiots spouting the "muh power users" shit are retarded. The loss of flexibility and freedom does suck, but not as much as the broken security model of the old extension system.

blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/
it took literally three seconds to type "firefox extension blacklist" into ddg

Guess it's time to call it quits. JWZ was right, millennials in tech are parasites that destroy everything they touch.

Should I hoard all my add-ons before pozilla deletes them?

Do you know what is Microsoft ActiveX? This was Microsoft's technology that allowed arbitrary programmers the access to all resources that Internet Explorer was able to access. ActiveX was a proven security nightmare because history has proven that many programmers will write poor quality applications if you assume that the general programmer is a high quality programmer with adequate time to do their work. The fact of the matter is that ActiveX programmers were given too much control in controlling Internet Explorer and it has maintained a security reputation because of poor assumptions.

Firefox XUL extensions work in exactly the same philosophy. XUL extensions have access to all the resources that Firefox is able to access. This is not a safe philosophy for a general extension system for something as important as the web browser. Not only is this so, XUL extensions cannot be modified to be multithreaded.

Firefox does not delete any addons. What will happen is that Firefox will refuse to run the old addons. You will still have them but it won't do anything.

ht tp://www.downthemall.net/re-downthemall-and-webextensions-or-why-why-i-am-done-with-mozilla/

he mad

You're either fucking retarded or you have no idea what you're saying.

Nice non argument moron. XUL is trash and I'm glad it's gone.

hi dumbass, can you make some research before posting the next time?
Nightly is already unable to run legacy addons, the big switch is done,
Therefore if it runs on Nightly, it's future proof.
As for checking of ad blocking coverage, I can tell from my experience that it blocks everything it's asked.

I actually like XUL, I think it's a fantastic way to develop cross platform GUI applications. What I don't like is the fact that Firefox's extension system is the full XUL system. That is a security mistake.

Conkeror was built on XUL.
You still can use conkeror wit palemoon, but still, it sucks that conkeror is gonna die.

pi-hole.net/

I haven't run a guest session yet without NoScript, but with ad blocking addons disabled this seems to work well enough.

Plus I changed my network's DNS provider from TWC's control. :^)

Explain why you dont trust open source code.

lel

current addons:

Adblock Plus
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.)
New Tab Override
4Chan Media Downloader
Google search link fix
Link Cleaner
Canvas Defender
Download All Images

+several UI fixes via userChrome.css

Adblock Plus is the only one not yet ported to WE:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1226547

and it's finished...

I can't find it anywhere on the web, so I don't think it's specific to mozilla.
Also, didn't the author tell people to use ublock anyways since it was more efficient?

use ublock origin you fucking retard. abp turned evil years ago

kys

lol

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but let's try anyway: I've made the switch to Palemoon but there's still a ton of shit that is either unsupported or has probably better alternatives. My (currently installed on firefox) add ons are:

httpseverywhere
noscript
self destructing cookies
trackmenot
ublock origin
anonymoX
downthemall!
greasemonkey

Are they the best at what they do or are there better alternatives for Palemoon? Furthermore, I couldn't find a greasemonkey extension, what gives?

WUZ

K A N G Z

Downthemall site is down and the domain has expired, anyone know what happened?

Firefox is killing off independent devs

They want us to use their own add ons.

Maybe. Development has halted from what I know and the last post that the dev made was about his frustration with Mozilla and how XML will be deprecated.

No idea what happened but I'm running firefox 55.02 and suddenly ublock origin doesn't work anymore. It was fine yesterday and I get back and now its not. Getting fucking youtube ads.

The official version of greasemonkey works just fine for me.

Firefox killed old apps until they support their new (((framework))), afaik all adblockers are defunct but I just installed adnauseam on the latest firefox build and it's doing its job. Wish someone would help me with the cookie manager though.

Reinstall uBlock origin, it seems that it have fixed the Youtube ads appearing for me.

(it was even showing the ad on the bottom of this very own thread; I reinstalled it, reloaded the page, and the ad is gone)

Speaking which, how do I add Holla Forums to the adblock whitelist? I'd like to support this shitpost hellhole.

FireFox is dead for years and every month a new reason to not use it appears.
Why are you using it, faggot? Really now, you deserve all the shit that happens to you.
People who don't read, people who don't listen, fucking conformists.

Didnt work for me at first but reddit said to download the developer version and its working now. I think I finally will make the switch to furrymoon.

Addons>Ublock Preferences>Dashboard>Whitelist

so Firefox has been kike'd?

Fuck off kike, sage negated

Is it possible to run an old version of FF, an unpozzed version so to speak, and not update it until we find a good one?

Here you go.
httpseverywhere == Encrypted Web
noscript == uMatrix
self destructing cookies == Crush Those Cookies
ublock origin == ublock origin
downthemall! == downthemall!

Alright, this is the last straw.

Self-destructing cookies doesn't fucking work.

SELF DESTRUCTING COOKIES DOESN'T FUCKING WORK

uBlock origin sort-of works, but it doesn't block ads completely. Since v55 streaming services started blocking me from viewing shit because "I have adblocker". This didn't happen before.

Guess it's time to finally test vivaldi, brave and other stuff.

SDC was last updated 5 months ago, and the developer isn't interested in rewriting it to the new API. Cookie AutoDelete works pretty much the same, albeit with a different UI.
Check your uBlock filters. There must be something deactivated now (or maybe those specific websites caught up with the filters.) Adblockers are not affected at all by the new API. The only thing they can't do now is block stuff in about:* pages.

List of browsers to use instead of Brave and Vivaldi:
Qupzilla
Dooble
Icecat
Netsurf
Literally anything

Chinese botnet

Placebo 3rd party data miners

Two words. Firefox Sync.
Firefox Sync lets me sync my browsing history, tabs, bookmarks and passwords on the cloud. So I can have them on all my devices.

Can't you just jot down URLs on a txt file or something?

Palememe has sync, fuck nearly every browser has a way to do this

or y'know, copy/save your app data every week.

Are you an ad

oh god

X-marks you retard

I has been abandoned, and it doesnt have compatibility with Palemoon 27 and beyond. Also, is there an alternative to mpv-youtube-dl-binding, because in the Palemoon web it shows its compatibility its still pending. Im also a new user to Palemoon, so please help.

And it's proprietary. Well done, moron

Man, that's a goddam faggot who uploads his passwords into the cloud, ffs. Do you really think he's from here? The guy probably don't even know FOSS from shinola.

github.com/mozilla-services/syncserver
????????????????
kill yourselves

>>>/g/

kek

3/10 made me respond and sligtly angry. Do you know where you are, faggot? Alone thinking about keeping a browsing history is a crime, let alone needing to sync it, jesus fuck.

lol. Holla Forums is really just straight up garbage. no wonder the board owner turned his back on us

Is this fucking ==BAIT== ?
Where do you think we are ?

How do you think they finance themselves ?

I love this garbage, it's garbage day every day in Holla Forums if you don't like the Holla Forums garbage find some garbage that suites your taste.

Proof or GTFO

Use umatrix and block scripts, that's how they know what you have in your browser via JS.

It's botnet you retard.

It depends, you need to upgrade to the webextension compatible version of µblock origin/umatrix.

Conkeror is pretty great I need to try it with Palemoon. I once made a simple change to it that prevented the default behavior that mozilla browsers have where if you save an image they redownload it even though you already have it in cache.

Anyone? I really hate to give views and clicks to Youtube.

retard. use firefox nightly and enable stylo

Kek. Nice forced telemetry, retard.

If I wanted it, I would have kept using Waterfox as like I did some time ago. And Unfortunally Qupzilla doesnt have addon support. So thats why I started using Palemoon. So unless you can convince me of using another browser, at least help me with my question.

firefox nighly is blazing fast thanks to rust. dont be a faggot

>(((youtube))) audio desync on mobile and causing webpages to break on desktop after heavy use

still not moving to (((google chrome))) but this is fucking ridiculous. it's not even feature creep breaking shit like I would expect, not when the browser has less functionality than before. each successive release is worse than the last.

i wonder who is behind this post???

ANDROID

fuchsia

I've been seeing this word thrown around a lot lately. Is it a new Holla Forums meme making the rounds?

Fucksia is a new kernel, i.e. not linux.

I've never heard of it. I take it you don't like it? What do you not like about it?

Magenta is Fuchia's kernel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

more info on fuchsia/magenta: fuchsia.googlesource.com/docs/ /master/book.md
sounds pretty good. finally a well designed os.

and here we are:

adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/beta

It's permissive licensed bullshit. Prepared for phones with no kernel source provided at all.

for those affected by some weird bug, or in search of a quick answer about webextensions and the future of Firefox: you can use the official chat

client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.mozilla.org

-choose a nickname and click "Go"
-click on the Mozilla tab
-on the right, click on the green "join" next to #firefox

beware, the chat is moderated and also logged
you can read the logs of today and previous days here:

logs.glob.uno/?c=mozilla#firefox

Still doesn't stop html5 auto play alreast in chrome

this isnt an ad???????

The jews

Firefox has been disabling my google reverse image search add-on almost daily, it's really annoying

added this after updating to Firefox 56 to kill the grey bookmarks folder icon:

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bookmarks-folder-images/

What happens to the old add-ons?

They work, for now, in legacy mode.

they'll die in November
hopefully Mozilla will die too

Do the extensions get moved to other forks?

they already are:

addons at the Mozilla website are specifying for which version they are compatible:

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?platform=windows&sort=users&appver=56.0

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?platform=windows&sort=users&appver=57.0

addons for older version of Firefox will probably stay there for half the 2018 at least, due to the ESR 52; don't know about 2019

techdows.com/category/firefox

a favor and just step down from any leadership position you might have.
Or better yet, apply for a leadership position in the Google Chrome
team; Firefox can use some help from you eventually ending up
inadvertently sabotaging Chrome sooner than later.

I keked too much.

I actually switched to Pale Moon after finding out they also had treestyle tabs and ublock Origin

Okay, so seeing as how FireFox is now basically (((Chrome)))-Fox and is taken over by SJWs, where exactly do we go from here? Palememe keeps the XUL stuff, but if NoScript, uBlock, etc get ported to WebExtension, then won't those stop making security or other updates for the XUL versions? Palemoon also doesn't have multiprocess either.

Maybe Brave is the way to go, but it's really early in development. I saw some really cool future plans for it, like a more NoScript-like JS blocker, full addon support, and TOR tabs, but right now it's really basic and kinda meh.

Brave is a chromium knock off

Mozilla hates you and wants you to suffer. So they just implemented very nice multiprocess which makes the browser faster than anything (say on those large Holla Forums threads) but you can only enjoy it for a few months because they are about to kill all over your necessary addons. Just because

Just about everything is a chromium knock off now.
If Palememe doesn't have a solution to addon updates for important shit, then we're just gonna have to opt for the chromium that looks like it's gonna be less shitty than the other ones.

Cyberfox was the best alt but the dev is quitting.

type goog in about:config

they are dictating what is safe to browse, and now how to browse too, and which addon is allowed; all browsers developers must obey or they'll get marginalized in a niche that barely works for the few aficionados; and yes, Holla Forums is always right

I noticed when I tried to watch twitch yesterday, I would get advertisement before the video started on firefox with adblock plus and noscript.

"firefox nighly is blazing fast thanks to rust. dont be a faggot"

Thanks for the suggestion rabbi!

oooh noooooooo. not my iiiiiipppppppppppp.
you know that firefox also sends your ip to all websites you visit right?

twitch ads are shitty. with the html5 player it seems that they are very difficult to block. i have had more success with ublock on pm. but the only surefire way i know of is to switch back to the flash player, which is obviously undesirable.

I think the point is that the websites we visit should be the ONLY ones the IP gets sent to.

and that it shouldnt be collected alongside the telemetry

s/facist-racist-Nazi-like/communist-antiracist-Soviet-like
Pajeet/kike spotted and reported.

Reported for being contagiously dumb.

Reported for pajeet grammar.

All these Google shills. No wonder it smells like curry in every Holla Forums thread.

Are there lean browsers with something as accessible as greasemonkey?

KANGZ!

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/?sort=rating

gee

glad I'm not the only one complaining:

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3033684

exactly
they're using grey for "consistency" with other choices they did for the UI; but you have to be consistent with the OS first! Is that difficult to understand?
My whole life is grey, I'm not going to stare at grey folders all day long too (sidebar is always open of course)

Firefox suckz

Firecucks bbbtfo!!

Sync is pretty awesome in my case: desktop and a laptop I use on the road.

Firefox is for cucks

'Twas Soros'd so take that as a yass

Palemoon
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/addons.html

sec

visual