GOOGLE Admits 'Fake Traffic'

Google Issuing Refunds to Advertisers Over Fake Traffic, Plans New Safeguard

Some advertisers question level of refunds, want more details about fraudulent traffic

archive.fo/QiZAA

Google is issuing refunds for ads that ran on websites with fake traffic, people familiar with the situation said, as the web giant develops a tool to give marketers more transparency about the ads they buy through its platform.

In the past few weeks, the Alphabet Inc. unit has informed hundreds of marketers and ad agency partners about the issue with invalid traffic, known in the industry as “ad fraud.” The ads were bought using the company’s DoubleClick Bid Manager over the course of a few months this year, primarily in the second quarter.

Google’s refunds amount to only a fraction of the cost of the ads served to invalid traffic, which has left some advertising executives unsatisfied, the people familiar with the situation said. Google has offered to reimburse its “platform fee,” which ad buyers said typically ranges from about 7% to 10% of their total purchase.

The company says this is appropriate because it doesn’t control the rest of the money spent. Typically, advertisers use DoubleClick Bid Manager to target audiences across vast numbers of websites in seconds by connecting to dozens of online ad exchanges, marketplaces that connect buyers and publishers through real-time auctions.

The ad spending flows through to the exchanges. The problems arise when ads run on publisher sites with fraudulent traffic, including those where clicks are generated by software programs known as “bots” instead of humans. This is an issue of growing concern to marketers. It is difficult to recoup the money paid to those sites when the issue is discovered too late.

Advertisers often receive small credits from Google and their other ad-tech vendors when they detect discrepancies, but in this case, for some buyers, the instance of fraud discovered was larger than usual.

It’s the latest evidence of how the complexity of the digital advertising ecosystem—an industry where marketers and ad sellers are separated by layers of middlemen and automation—can cause tensions between Madison Avenue and big players like Google. Just a few months ago, some marketers suspended their campaigns from Google’s YouTube after revelations their ads appeared next to hateful or otherwise unsavory videos. YouTube has taken steps to assuage marketers’ concerns, and many brands have now returned to the platform. Ad agencies, too, have battled with Google to let them access more of its extensive data to help them improve how ads are targeted and measure whether they are effective.

Scott Spencer, director of product management for Google, acknowledged that refunds have been paid, but he declined to provide a dollar figure for the amount being returned. Some ad buyers said the refund amounts range from “less money than you would spend on a sandwich” to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Some agencies and advertisers were affected more than others, depending on their level of spending during the period and the types of ads they bought.

“Today, we can’t disclose the information about third parties,” Mr. Spencer said. “So when we aren’t able to catch invalid traffic before it impacts our advertisers and we’re unable to refund their media spend, it hurts us, even if we’re not responsible.”

Google is working on a fix it hopes will provide some clarity over which technology providers in the ad-buying chain are responsible for issuing refunds. It is also working on technology to ensure advertisers automatically receive a full credit back from Google and its partners if incidents occur.

The company said it is entering discussions with the 100-plus exchanges, ad networks and publishers that DoubleClick Bid Manager plugs into, asking them to display to ad buyers whether they are willing to refund the entire media spend if ad-fraud instances occur. Buyers could then opt to filter out the sources of inventory that don’t have such a policy.

Mr. Spencer said Google expects “high rates of adoption” among exchanges, and that the ones it had spoken to so far had been “very supportive” of the effort.

Another point of contention among those receiving refunds is that they haven’t been given details about where their ads ended up or specific details about the exploits the fraudsters used, so that advertisers and agencies can apply their own safeguards in the future.

“We need to be very careful about commenting on or discussing specifics about bots or our detection,” Mr. Spencer said. “Often fraudsters will change their approaches and strategies based on our public comments.”

Other urls found in this thread:

adnauseam.io/
github.com/dhowe/AdNauseam/releases/tag/v3.3.404
archive.fo/2017.08.25-185850/https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-issuing-refunds-to-advertisers-over-fake-traffic-plans-new-safeguard-1503675395
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've been using the AdNauseum plug-in to fake some of this traffic which is what 8ch was advocating, so looks like our effort is having an effect.

adnauseam.io/

>>>Holla Forums10496184

I envisioned something like this a long time ago, a virtual...VM for ads themselves. Oh god with the current tech there is no feasible counter solution to something like not. Not unless google wants to encrypt their ads. I wonder if google shall try to do just that now lol. It needs some pretty big changed to even try to compete with it.

Yep, I was thinking of making a Linux VM with a script that just opens up all the major websites and clicks on all the ads. Runs 24/7. And distribute this VM on Github or something and distribute it far and wide.

Also, Amazon has free tier EC2 instance you can use, so just create a bunch of dummy accounts and run this thing virtually 24/7 in the cloud.

and its pretty much impossible to stop it, clientsided stuff on the internet, even from mobile phones is way too strong, its much stronger than anything that google can throw at it. The websites of these modern ages are segmented, all over the place, borrow content and scripts from all kinds of places just to function lol.

I am surprised nobody did this earlier. Well perhaps at those times we didnt have such a hatred of jewgle too. Right now may be the perfect time to make such a thing. And can there really be a counter measure against such a thing? They would have to tidy up ALL of their websites that they serve to, which is impossible in man hours. Then they would have to somehow encrypt it...add checks for integrity inside of the browsers lol? Do you really think that people would accept installing a programming like DRM to view a website lol?

mate, give me a virtualbox instance/script that I can plug and I'll give every of my acquintances that.
G**gle delenda est, brothers.

You'd also have to write a proxy unless your intent is to mislead ad-companies/ad-publishers about your IP.
It would certainly be easy for Google to filter out any IP associated with Amazon AWS after all, and also a specific IP who seems to be clicking over 75% of all ads.

The point is, you pollute the data, you have to filter it out, inevitably this will result in dealing with false negatives, because ideally every ad click is truly compensated, but now some ad clicks will have to be filtered out to deal with our shenanigans. Of course being a behemoth they'll deal with us, but if you've ever taken a machine learning course, you'd understand the problem of dealing with false positives when you try to filter the data out.

This looks like google's nightmare. Brilliant

Do you fat lifeless losers realize some of us live off ads?

Maybe if any of you anime loving manchildren got a real job instead of bitching about Google you could move out of your parents house and be productive.

Pathetic.

Ever thought about working in a more ethical field, like selling crack to kids, nigger?

Feels good being a productive member of society but making sure that myself and people near me don't ever see or click ads and making people like you butthurt.

not a problem at all, they will simply not get paid for ads clicked through Tor or known "non-home-user" IP addresses.
but if that means they'll also remove ads for these addresses, that's a win.
or a worse situation — ad-driven websites will simply do a low-level ban on all IPs which can't be used to get paid for ads. but then it's an immediate indicator of trash sites, which is good in the end.

That projection.

kys

may actually be a woman, maybe even a jew woman.

RECOMMENDATION: USE ADNASEUM ON SEPARATE BROWSER

We suggest you use AdNauseum on Vivaldi and just use that for general web/news browsing, have Vivaldi reject cookies, only save information for a day

1. Install Vivaldi (it's based on the same Chrome engine, this particular example is for Windows)
2. Download adnaseum-3.3.403.chromium.zip (first link) github.com/dhowe/AdNauseam/releases/tag/v3.3.404
3. Unzip the file into a persistent location, because it will need to stay there
4. Vivaldi -> Tools -> Extensions (or Ctrl+Shift+E if you're on Windows)
5. Enable "Developer Mode"
6. Click "Load unpacked extension..." and load the unzipped directory
7. Wait for AdNauseum to load, enable all three options
(optional) 8. Configure AdNauseum so it clicks ads sometimes (how frequent is something we still need to discuss), never have it click ads always or your IP may be flagged.
(optional) 9. Configure Vivaldi (Alt+P) --> Privacy; disable all cookies and have it only remember your browsing history for a single day (this is the most secure option they have for now); also change your search engine to anything besides Google (I suggest StartPage)

Note: AdNausem does not work in private mode, but since you're using a separate browser that flushes everything upon exit, there is no need to use the private mode.

Note2: You will need to update the plugin manually because Google blacklisted this plugin from their Plugin Store

tl;dr use Vivaldi is your general web browsing purposes, especially when you surf websites that are ad-heavy, etc., anything that doesnt need to be persistent, we suggest you don't use AdNauseum within your personal browser

Fuckoff with your Chinese botnet

Any other browser that AdNauseum can load in is fine for now. Also, I thought Opera was the Chinese botnet?

Crap, thinking of it, I should've made an example use IceWeasel or something...

IceWeasel is dead. Debian sucked it up and is using Firefox now. IceCat is currently the best open browser.

No you fucking retard, just add another browser profile

Look Holla Forums, I know you're trying to help and I appreciate that, but you need to know what you're doing before you start handing out recommendations. You're delusional if you think AdNauseam had anything to do with this story.

It's indeed likely not the source of this. But then it just showed it poses a serious threat if used massively. It also does this in a way more insidious way than the ones that actually created this issue, because AdNauseam users aren't just bots, that's real people that cause the same trouble bots do.

AdNauseam is indeed the destroyer of worlds.

user please don't post shortened links
archive.fo/2017.08.25-185850/https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-issuing-refunds-to-advertisers-over-fake-traffic-plans-new-safeguard-1503675395

No, this was advocated by some JS script kiddie and then Holla Forums

AdNauseum is a very very bad idea.
Question ?
How do you kill a troll ?
By not feeding it.
Google is the same.
Even if it doesn't have 100% good data it gets data.
It's better to not feed it at all.
By using AdNauseum (aka ublock origin/AdNauseum) you are still sending request thus losing your privacy.
Install umatrix and use the whitelist methodology (a blacklist is less efficient)
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

But there's data that you can't stop from leaking, like for example the IP or user agent.
Tor (or any proxy) is your friend in this case.
Also to never leak any info about your browser besides IP/user agent never enable scripts (JS) it's the cancer of the internet.

You want us to use a AdNauseum on a botnet browser ?
Are you mentally insane ?
Chromium by itself is already botnet but Vivaldi is even more botnet.
Sometimes I wonder if you are paid correctly to do this shitpost.

This
The good thing with icecat is that since it's a project that has been taken very early botnet functions are nonexistent.

Likely this.
Nowhere it is said that it was because of AdNauseum.

For the privacy of the users yes.

Fine, I deleted my post, I'll look into other browsers for AdNauseum.

Ignore the google shills in this thread.

AdNauseum is a good idea make sure you recommend it to others and tell people on social media you are using it.

Your IP is the most important thing you "leak".

Care to make an ARM-based image for rpi if you get around to it? I have 3 lying around doing nothing.

Is that from fucking cuckchan?

If google encrypts their ads we still win.
They're going to waste a bunch of bandwidth and processing time on encryption, and time is money.

I want social media to die.

This might work for a little while. But eventually, Google will start checking whois and probably block any IP's coming from a VPS (or not including them in the counts).
Best way to outjew the jew is from Residential IP's. For each residential IP they have to blacklist, that's one person (often family) that they get shekels from.

So making a standalone Ad Nauseum? Not a bad idea. Though the fun part may be figuring out how to make the standalone very adaptive, or very lightweight, as mentioned above. My ideas always have the clincher of relying on networking: Making a botnet to combat the botnet, or reinventing TOR.
A fun aside, a dev of the HaLVM uses it to run thousands of TOR node instances on his desktop for some personal privacy when he's away from home, good stuff.
The adaptive approach is self explanatory, harkening back to the days of evolving/writing new fighters in core wars (Adversarial networks?
). The lightweight approach tends towards creating some sort of botnet in some form or other: It's so cheap that it's shovelware or malware that no one notices nor cares about! ( ). One click installation!

I think it's more to a point that Google's analytics is pretty laissez faire (I don't believe they can debug PB/s systems or data, they have to "believe" in it), and Google's responses are very self-defeating.
Google can't perpetually afford to play core wars with a few dozen programmers who create the means to flood with junk data, let alone pay reparations to the ad exchanges who get very angry about it. Even without that Google is shitting the bed by demonetising, and deplatforming their users (producers who they can spread ads through, and consumers who they can sell on the ad market).

How so? Wouldn't pleonasms waste space, and pollute the cooperative filtering? Or, in the case of YouTube, make them cull their chattel?

And do I care if a parasite starves when I don't let it feed on me? Do you want to go the way of a tapeworm?

EC2 IPs are already blocked by everything. Do ssh -D and set your browser to use it as SOCKS and be amazed how much of the web blocks you.

Normalfags would, they would get it with the latest version of chromebot and not even realize it

Consider all the games that come out with denuvo and the fags at steam still buy that shit

Found the ad scam faggot

Go back to blackhat forums cocksucker

Are you retarded?

You could adjust the VM so it has the same clickthrough rate of the average user

Good luck filtering that

Also remember that Google would have to block cellular service providers, due to the large amount of people using cellular hotspot connectivity for browsing.

The goal is not to have every ad be clicked, but only some, and at random intervals, so a pattern cannot be detected. Google would have no way of determining which clicks were not legitimate, earning the ire of advertisers.

This didn't make me not want to do it

I hope it just pol using some kiddies script and shilling, the way some of the tech boards on other chans are shilling this and the language they are using, I think its google building a list of enemies

Do it. I can "infect" more than 30 pcs in the school i teach if you can make it run silently.

Not really. If you were blocking their ads, you probably were not going to buy anyway, so you were actually lessening the load on their ad servers.

And that's where you're wrong kiddo.

Jewgoolag, you really bring shame upon your family.

You guys known why this doesn't work? Because every ad company worth two shits will detect this and stop payments immediately.
Ad Nauseam is worthless because of this. You're not doing anyone any favors. You're not "killing" anything. You're just giving your IP, UA, referee, etc. To ad companies.

Do any of you guys realize how easy it is to filter out fraudulent traffic once you know what to look for?

If I were a large advertising company, I'd compare click rates with attributed purchase rates. Fraudulent activity would probably have a much higher click-to-buy ratio than the usual person (since if you're trying to defraud me, you're probably not going to be purchasing things from the ads you click on). I'd set up a batch job each night to check for IDs with high click-to-buy ratios and remove them from the logs before charging my clients. Of course, someone could generate new IDs by resetting their cookies, so I'd probably cross reference with an IP blocklist.

Not necessary. Ad companies (especially Google and Facebook) create profiles of every user that "uses" their services based on User Agent, referrer, fonts installed, addons installed, plugins installed, super cookies, canvas fingerprint, screen resolution, approximate location based on IP, gamepad/battery/accelerometer information, etc.

They can, but they don't. Cookies are simpler to crossreference, and most people don't give a shit about them. No point fixing what's not broken.

May as well post it in this thread but I was wondering, would people argue that running a browser that doesn't support ads is malicious? Like if I run a text based one and can't physically see ads am I "attacking" advertisers? If we use the Internet are we morally obligated to make sure we support whatever is required to view ads? I always wonder what the argument is here. I feel like it's similar to saying someone is a bad person because they got a glimpse of some pirated media and didn't avert their gaze. Just seems like a bunch of hardcore shilling and thought policing at this point.

RandomAgentSpoofer changes all of that + cookie self destruct. Also I want my IP blacklist, as I mainly use big public WiFi around libshits anyway.

I'm running everything with Ad Nauseum

get a real job pls

So how are you faggots doing on pissing in Google's lifeblood?

Biggest placebo there is. The real user agent can be guessed by reviewing the real HTML5 compatibility of the browser. Plus, RAS has the bad habit of not spoofing fonts correctly, so you end up being either GNU/BSD with only the default Windows XP fonts.
Disabling referer, canvas and the API should make you more anonymous since there's no information being sent, but they can easily just track you too since the amount of users with those things disabled isn't over 1 % of their users.

Why disable referrer when you can set it to forge?

Advertisers don't give a fuck about some autist from a Korean shadowpuppet forum blocking their ads. Their target audience is normalfags. The only people who care are the websites hosting those ads, but even then then, it's not like spergs contribute much to their actual userbase.

Over feed it.

This coupled with adoption of Brave will surely destroy Google.

i like you

Apple's Intelligent Tracking Prevention released with IOS 11 today. It uses ML to detect 3rd party cookies that it thinks belong to advertisers and either prevents them from saving, or deletes them after 24 hours.

This tbqh desu.

google didn't fly so good