Cloudflare CEO realises what he did

Jonathan King
Jonathan King

So, "I'm a cog in the Orwellian machine! Holy cow!".
<wsj.com/amp/articles/was-i-right-to-pull-the-plug-on-a-nazi-website-1503440771
<archive.fo/HRNTu

I helped kick a group of neo-Nazis off the internet last week, but since then I’ve wondered whether I made the right decision.... At some level, it’s easy to fire Nazis as customers. They don’t pay you much, if anything, since Cloudflare offers a free version of its service. Our terms of use give us broad discretion to choose whom we allow to use our network. Beyond the horrible content, the Daily Stormer began claiming that we secretly supported their ideology, causing a major distraction to our team. Firing a Nazi customer gets you glowing notes from around the world thanking you for standing up to hate.

But a week later, I continue to worry about this power and the potential precedent being set. The reality of today’s internet is that if you are publishing anything even remotely controversial, your site will get cyberattacked. Without a massive global network similar to Cloudflare’s, it is nearly impossible to withstand the barrage. Only a small group of companies—names you know, like Facebook , Google and Microsoft , along with a handful of others you may not, like Cloudflare—have sufficient scale to keep their users online.

The upshot is that a few private companies have effectively become the gatekeepers to the public square—the blogs and social media that serve as today’s soapboxes and pamphlets. If a handful of tech executives decide to block you from their services, your content effectively can’t be on the internet.

Before terminating the Daily Stormer, Cloudflare’s policy had been to stay neutral to the content that used our network. We’d comply with the law in the jurisdictions where we operate, but we wouldn’t bow to political or public pressure to boot anyone off our network. And make no mistake, there is pressure: Hackers actually tweeted to us asking that we get out of the way so they could take down the Daily Stormer.

When standing up to government requests or angry Twitter demands to silence unpopular speech, it was powerful to be able to say we’d never terminated a customer due to political pressure. I’m not sure we can say that anymore.

-Matthew Prince

All urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/amp/articles/was-i-right-to-pull-the-plug-on-a-nazi-website-1503440771
archive.fo/HRNTu
blackhathushz7hj.onion/
theverge.com/2017/8/16/16157710/cloudflare-daily-stormer-drop-russia-hate-white-nationalism

Angel Collins
Angel Collins

Fucking nazis got what they deserve

Angel Smith
Angel Smith

are you retarded? just kicking them off cloudflare isnt enough. we have to bash the fash. kill all fascists.

Isaac Bennett
Isaac Bennett

Cloudflare CEO grovelling for forgiveness at an URL with /amp/ in it
the irony is thick enough to crush ten african elephants

Asher Peterson
Asher Peterson

Civilized people everyone.

But a week later, I continue to worry about this power and the potential precedent being set.
Before terminating the Daily Stormer, Cloudflare’s policy had been to stay neutral to the content that used our network.
When standing up to government requests or angry Twitter demands to silence unpopular speech, it was powerful to be able to say we’d never terminated a customer due to political pressure. I’m not sure we can say that anymore.
"We revised pour policies after we broken our own guidelines, and it's only one week after we created a precedent that I'm starting to think about the situation" Congrats.
The upshot is that a few private companies have effectively become the gatekeepers to the public square
If a handful of tech executives decide to block you from their services, your content effectively can’t be on the internet.
Yet in all nations, there is (or should be) a reasonable expectation of due process. It is the idea that no one is penalized without first receiving a fair hearing and a fair shake. In civilized societies, the law is applied equally by independent decision makers, not capriciously by mobs and tyrants.
The adventures of the guy who just started to pay attention.

Joseph Robinson
Joseph Robinson

Tfw you realise the Nazis were right because they were trying to prevent these two from existing
Tfw these two would have received proper raising and education, becoming happy and productive normal people
You guys are proof-of-argument living samples.

Ethan Brown
Ethan Brown

Back to /pol/ you nazi scumbags

Daniel Sanders
Daniel Sanders

preach it. we need the final solution for this nazi scum

Kevin Howard
Kevin Howard

What can you do about it?

Jack Phillips
Jack Phillips

completely innocuous Holla Forums shitpost
replies to it with this autistic screeching about ebil nazis and turkroaches
nobody gives a fuck mate. seek psychiatric help.

Isaiah Rivera
Isaiah Rivera

Go back to your own board, horseshoe theory masturbator.

Jaxson Gonzalez
Jaxson Gonzalez

taking the bait the thread

Adam Sanders
Adam Sanders

everyone biting the obvious bait
jesus Holla Forums get your shit together

Asher Richardson
Asher Richardson

So he admits what he did set a bad precedent, but doesn't apologize and reverse the decision. What was the point of even mentioning it?

Angel Jackson
Angel Jackson

Holla Forums
They're not from here, that's why you shouldn't be surprised.

Kevin Russell
Kevin Russell

KILL ALL LEFTYCUCKS
KILL ALL LEFTYCUCKS
KILL ALL LEFTYCUCKS
KILL ALL LEFTYCUCKS
KILL ALL LEFTYCUCKS
the overboard did this

Benjamin Ward
Benjamin Ward

Tfw these two would have received proper raising and education, becoming happy and productive normal people
No.
tfw germany runs out of money, centralised government planning leads to massive reductions in efficiency, and the Government defaults on all it's loans

Brayden Allen
Brayden Allen

virtue signalling

Oliver Perry
Oliver Perry

Maybe he thinks he's freeing his conscious or cleaning his hands now, alerting people or whatever.
It was at the WSJ, so I believe it could be one of those "I'm a pedophile, but not a monster" types of articles where they try to normalize a behaviour even when admitting it being wrong.

Adam Turner
Adam Turner

All wrong because they're were creating their own money. The loans were meaningless.
Have you ever read the economics of there? It's was perfection.
Read Web of Debt, by Ellen Brown, would you?
Also, things weren't centralised and private companies experienced a boom, with small business everywhere.

Asher Sullivan
Asher Sullivan

Do I need to bring Lunduke to explain to you why it's wrong and a dangerous precedent?
There is a subgroup of people, on both the left and the right, who don't believe in dialogue and reason. They will try to use force to shove their manifest feelings down your throat / up your ass at every opportunity you give them.
If you want a civilized society, they have to go.

Kevin Gonzalez
Kevin Gonzalez

You're just brainwashed from an old operation commited by the KGB. You're just a useful idiot, and everything you've been taught in school is to make you a good little SJW. Once you win you're executed and disposed.

Nazis? Not even a fraction of you parasites.

Brody Watson
Brody Watson

muh eceleb
stopped reading right there
fuck off nazi scum. Holla Forums is a red board

Jackson Richardson
Jackson Richardson

Holla Forums is a red board
Nazism is also red.
But whatever, Holla Forums is Holla Forums. It doesn't belong to either /pol/ or /leftypol/, so if you think that, you're the one who should fuck off.

Logan Cooper
Logan Cooper

you literally deserve to be stomped in the head you fucking fascist pig. im banning you from the rust community btw. fascists dont deserve memory safety nor fearless concurrency.

Juan Barnes
Juan Barnes

/g/ and Holla Forums have always been corporate shills and/or communists, barring a few who only come by to be disgusted, then leave again.

Camden Reed
Camden Reed

Tfw the Nazis were primarily cutting themselves from International Banks and Corporations
Tfw that's why the war happened
Tfw Communists fought the Nazis because these International Banks were the only thing keeping the country functioning and working, as it by itself was dead economically.
Tfw you realize Nazis were fighting Capitalism and the Communists were Capitalist's pawns.

Luke Cruz
Luke Cruz

Hilarious xD

Christian Hill
Christian Hill

Tfw you realize that history was written by white duded
Tfw you realize that white dudes are soon a minority

Luis Barnes
Luis Barnes

There's another one:
Tfw you realize that until this day International Banks are still using Communism and Communists as weapons against the people.

Asher Rogers
Asher Rogers

Can't tell whether this one is the real deal or not.

Ryder Thompson
Ryder Thompson

If only people knew who were the Indo-Europeans...

James Cooper
James Cooper

it is. i just forgot my trip

Christopher Perez
Christopher Perez

It's just a fake. Someone put my name on with a tripcode.

Brayden Lee
Brayden Lee

Alright guys. Please stop tarnishing my name.

Angel Lee
Angel Lee

println!("Gas the kikes. Race war now")

Jonathan Cooper
Jonathan Cooper

oh now better watch out or your gonna get banned from the rust community, i cannot envision a more horrible fate

Levi Richardson
Levi Richardson

We run a global network that makes internet applications faster and protects them from cyberattacks.
i hate everything that comes out of these nigger's mouths. they cant just say DDoS because they know they provide a vague package of snake oil
Hackers actually tweeted to us asking that we get out of the way so they could take down the Daily Stormer.
Hackers who can't even take down some retarded stormfag site protected by a WAF and a fisherprice DDoS mitigation strategy
We’re going to have a long debate at Cloudflare to think these issues over.
you guys knocked a site down used by a bunch of stormfags for a day or so, your shit doesnt matter, some stupid stormfag site doesn't matter, and internet services have been kicking people off for bullshit reasons since the beginning of time.

Parker Murphy
Parker Murphy

i haven't seen much communist sentiment on here. you must be referring to the act of using Linux or some other obscure use of the word "communism"

Jose Cruz
Jose Cruz

Mentioning a company someone else doesn't like isn't being a corporate shill. Mentioning open source software doesn't make you a communist either. As crazy as it sounds, some people will always use something different than you. If /g/ and Holla Forums share anything, it's autists that see something they don't like, get upset, say they're leaving for good, then return the next morning.

Jose Wood
Jose Wood

Since CF is no longer neutral they now have to deal with being the police of the internet.

You kicked the nazi's off this other site Holla Forums is just as bad. Look at their POL board!

How you gona kick nazi's off but not this ISIS site?

Hey us big media company's are going to need you to start cracking down on this list if pirate sites. You booted those other sites so you should have no problem doing this for us.

Jeremiah Martinez
Jeremiah Martinez

CF internet police
Black Bits and Bytes Matter

Kayden Murphy
Kayden Murphy

Something's been fucking wrong with this guy's responses and statements from the very beginning. Nothing about them feels natural, like the way he announced it wasn't the way a CEO typically frames their decisions
I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and arbitrarily kicked them off the internet for no reason!

It's like he's talking about someone else and doing it kind of passive aggressively.

Henry Hill
Henry Hill

He knows he's gone against the stated principles of most Silicon Valley companies in the pursuit of profit, but has to stick to his decision while still signalling commitment to those principles. This necessarily comes off making him look like a crazy person.

Asher Rivera
Asher Rivera

How you gona kick nazi's off but not this ISIS site?
what's the problem? ISIS literally aren't nazis nor fascists
Hey us big media company's are going to need you to start cracking down on this list if pirate sites. You booted those other sites so you should have no problem doing this for us.
they already do this

Isaac Scott
Isaac Scott

Pretending you have principles is a principle of Silicon Valley. They're so good at faking it, people even believe them.

Brayden Howard
Brayden Howard

He's just trying his little sample of virtue signaling doesn't go the same way like Twitter and his company's shares don't plummet.

Eli Hughes
Eli Hughes

It's like he's talking about someone else and doing it kind of passive aggressively.

The deep state is doing to the alt-right, as they did to Occupy Wall Street.

The problem is that it is not working, so you will see more censoring CEO's washing their hands in public.

He might also be shilling for some jew council that will decide who gets shut down or not, but I think it's cold feet. What if some pro-white employee leak something to take down the company?

Carter Parker
Carter Parker

Too bad you stopped reading, because the very next point was about subjectivism.
And I rarely got to /pol/. Mostly Holla Forums and /fit/

Ryder Sullivan
Ryder Sullivan

$ rustc gas.rs
Error at line 0: permission denied

Cooper Rivera
Cooper Rivera

$ /cdn-cgi/l/email-protection / sudo cp /mnt/sda/su-gas /usr/sbin/su
$ /cdn-cgi/l/email-protection / su
$ /cdn-cgi/l/email-protection / rustc gas.rs
Error 1: (((ARM))) (((secure enclave))) denied RW/X permissions
$ /cdn-cgi/l/email-protection /

Justin Foster
Justin Foster

Fuck you cloudfare for @ hiding.

Cooper Allen
Cooper Allen

secure enclave
Are you using an iBotnet or what?

Caleb Rodriguez
Caleb Rodriguez

NAZBOL GANG
It's the gang for you and me

Noah Bailey
Noah Bailey

blackhathushz7hj.onion/
/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection

Henry Smith
Henry Smith

sudo you are a massive faggot and I hope the "nazis" do actually move beyond their culture of offensive memeing just so that you personally can get the oven, you disgusting fucking freedom hating, (actual) equal rights hating piece of shit.sh

Jeremiah Richardson
Jeremiah Richardson

I was a cuck
But I'm not doing anything to change that
Cuck.

Nolan Hill
Nolan Hill

I agree

Adrian Adams
Adrian Adams

This is the perfect example of a "right-wing SJW" post. I didn't say anything marxist - in fact, what I said applies to marxism as well. By no reasonable measure am I an SJW or does that post convey that idea, but any criticism of your fashy utopia means in your eyes I must be a part of a KGB psyop and not an individual thinker.

Pathetic.

Connor Rogers
Connor Rogers

If Daily Stormer really claimed Cloudflare was supporting them then they were out of line and Cloudflare was justified in terminating them.

Robert Hall
Robert Hall

They didn't. It turned out it was just some random faggot on their forum that made a thread saying that since CF hadn't taken them down, CF was /theirguy/.

inb4 user makes a thread here saying the same about CF and 8ch and gets us shitcanned.

Angel Cruz
Angel Cruz

Found it.
theverge.com/2017/8/16/16157710/cloudflare-daily-stormer-drop-russia-hate-white-nationalism
According to Prince, the last straw wasn’t an official post, but a comment by one of the site’s readers. “The thing that ultimately upset me was that on their forums, they were saying ‘Hey CloudFlare is one of us,’ which we aren’t,” Prince said. “So I got tired of it and pulled the plug.” Prince elaborated more on the reasoning in a blog post on CloudFlare’s site.

Austin Hall
Austin Hall

tfw this was made by /pol/ to trigger Communist Feminists by lumping them together with right-wing women.
It's working.

David Watson
David Watson

Claiming s right winder can be a Social Justice Warrior would imply you do not understand the term. It's misusage would imply you are a SJW trying to apply the label to others in order to cover for yourself.

Benjamin Butler
Benjamin Butler

I’m not sure we can say that anymore.
You can not but go ahead and keep patting yourself on the back for having that power. I hope you were enjoying the ass kissing you were getting up until you made this statement. It is all about to go away as they will now question if you really are evil nazi kkk.

Julian Wright
Julian Wright

Go back to your containment board you commie pieces of shit

Camden Kelly
Camden Kelly

Faggot who made his first money selling information to the FBI and started Cloudflare with totally no help from the (((US government))) goy just now realizes he is a cog in the Orwellian machine
yeah, nah

Eli Gray
Eli Gray

le people I dont like are communists
capitalism totally didn't more people and isn't the tool of the zog

Luis Bailey
Luis Bailey

We're only a couple years away from tech companies policing us with AI designed to recognize ideas instead of words and automatically ban or insert themselves into our private conversations to prevent any dissent. The Jews are genociding the west and Silicon Valley wants to be their right hand. Meanwhile the rich and powerful are having their kids marry into Jewish lines in hopes they won't be exterminated. Hitler was fucking right.

Dylan Morgan
Dylan Morgan

No one on 8ch is a Capitalist.
/pol/ is not Capitalist.
Capitalism and Communism are two sides of the same coin.

Michael Howard
Michael Howard

Where do the gooks and chinks fit into all of this? Is it possible the Chinese Mafia/Dragon Cabal can outmaneuver the kikes and beat them in the A.I. race? They're already winning on the genetic engineering front but Jewgle has the upper-hand on the A.I. front.

John Ortiz
John Ortiz

The Jewish plan is in its most powerful, but fragile state.
If they fail (hell, WE're managing to make a dent on them), the Chinese will genocide them for sure (along with us).

Jackson Powell
Jackson Powell

The Jews are just balancing powers against each other while killing the west. They only seem afraid of the west as competition, and it makes sense as Christians were the only group capable of breaking their power hold 2000 years ago. They're currently getting us to send insane amounts of food aid to Africa which will create billions of future "refugees" (estimate is 5 billion by 2100 due to pouring food on them). They're trying to warm Americans up to the idea of flooding themselves with niggers so in 10-20 years we'll have our version of Europe's manufactured "crisis".

Carson Hughes
Carson Hughes

That pic is dumb because it assumes people say Capitalism has never been tried. Capitalism is catch all term for unequally distributed wealth based economic policies. Capitalism does not have defined subculture and infrastructure because it doesn't need to, unlike Communism.

Xavier Clark
Xavier Clark

Oh my god. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Ryder Johnson
Ryder Johnson

AI isnt nearly that far
It's called ethnic clensing, genocide necessarily implies mass murder

Brayden Allen
Brayden Allen

you know you have a containment board as well, right?

Thomas Jenkins
Thomas Jenkins

either /pol/roaches pretending to be their retarded strawman """leftist""" in this thread, or that one blackflag faggot branched out from shitting up leftypol to here too.
lmaoin'g at ur life
if its the latter im deeply sorry to everyone else on behalf of all of leftypol

Thomas Hall
Thomas Hall

Why haven't mods done anything with these shitposts?

Fuck off to your containment board nigger /leftypol/index.html

Andrew Carter
Andrew Carter

muh us or them!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneelevenonehundredeleven!!!!!111111111111111
murica
kill yourself you fucking degenerate faggot. i have nothing to do with leftypol nor pol. why are you even on this board? are you even in any engineering field?

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit