I am in terrible need of advice

So I'm a VERY fucking computer illiterate jackass who's also VERY fucking stupid, but I have a lot of patience. However, Windows has dried that patience up faster than a whore to a pajeet off the streets.

I'm really fucking tired of unnecessary shit throttling the performance of my PC, the ease of infection, and the fact that my shit is available to see at a fucking single button press. I figured Linux would be a good step to go, but looking at the different distros available and how you're supposed to operate them leaves me scratching my head and feeling as stupid as I am.

I like gaming and I'm planning on building a new PC from scratch in the future. I've heard of a process called "passthrough", destroying my worries of not being able to play games that are dependent on Windows without going through WIRE (from which I read is fucking retarded to try and do.).

My main questions are:

1. What would be a good distro to go with for my peanut brain to comprehend?
2. Would that distro be functional and excellent for what I want to do?
3. What kind of hardware would be necessary?
4. Do I actually need 2 GPUs to even accomplish a passthrough?

I am really fucking determined to rid myself of Windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

kubuntu.org/)
getfedora.org/en/workstation/)
spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/**.
redox-os.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

arch linux. it is simple and minimalistic.
no

you must be 11 or something?

1. Arch and read the wiki. Don't throw away your windows activation code, you'll need that for virltual machine.
2. Yes, because other distros have outdated packages that are usually updated very frequently in mailline, do you'll end up building software from source and dependency hell.
3. Intel processor with VT-x, and a dedicated video card (it doesn't work properly on Ryzens yet).
4. Most Intel cpus have integrated gpu for viewing cartoons and web browsers on host operating system.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but most Linux distributions are pretty much the same.

I recommend you install something for noobs, like Kubuntu (kubuntu.org/) or Fedora (getfedora.org/en/workstation/) **for a much more windows-y (and bettwer UI use the "
Plasma "spin" from spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/**. They both come packaged with software for all kinds of tasks, have a simple and easily configurable interface, and will also run on most computers very well. Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, which you may have heard of.

Unfortunately they ships with systemd but that's a whole different can of worms.

It's WINE, and it's actually very good.

Ignore these posters. The only thing good about Arch is the wiki.

redox-os.org/

this is literally not true

image:

this thread:

kys

posix is trash tbh

This is disgusting.

Just install debian and try to understand how everything works. Take a little course online on how to use basically linux, and the most basic tools. Try to use the command line as much as possible (well, don't disgust yourself from it).

Then you'll switch to better distribution, when you have this knowledge, to for exemple devuan, void linux, gentoo etc... It depends on if you like to touch at everything, if you want the systemd cancer out (I mean, I'll not advice you to go for devuan directly, but you first have to know what it is, and why it's harmul).

Moreover, I used to play in the past, and games like Starcraft 2 or Eve online works well with wine. I hope that in the future, you'll drop video games. I mean, you have to be a man at some point.

Agreed. I went from debian to manjaro to gentoo to funtoo to nixos. Now I'm focusing on actually making use of this platform for development. I do like my games as well.

WINE is hit or miss. It is not very reliable. VirtualBox is easy to setup, but I don't think it supports GPU passthrough. Xen is free, and it supports GPU passthrough, but it doesn't look like a walk in the park to set up. I've never used VMWare so I can't comment on it.

install gentoo

This.
Forget about video pass through and become a GNU/male or keep windows and your vidya and grow older as a nu-male. Your choice.
Also use Devuan faggot

Not OP, but the only reason I use Windows is for Excel. I should really just throw it in a VM these days.

devuan sounds like the name of a half black half puerto rican ladyboy, no way am i using that

Devuan is an old italian word which translates to "all the Gentoo CDs I downloaded were bugged because I couldn't get the GUI installer to run"

Sorry. Went to sleep after posting.

Like I said, really fucking stupid. Not to mention, gaming and PC stuff has always taken a backseat for me and it took years of my PCs being shit to realize I need something better.

Also, my PCs came with Windows, so there was no activation code

I was thinking about Fedora for a while, but I remember reading something wonky with security and stability. I might've been reading about a different distro at the time and my memory merged in my tired state.

I looked around and kept seeing people say that OpenSUSE was one of the most secure and stable distros out there, it's just not as frequently updated. I've seen a couple videos of people gaming on it, too, I just don't know if it's noob friendly.

I was looking at SparkyLinux Gameover Edition, as well. I read it was based on Linux. It's got stuff I like and want, but it's got a lot of stuff I don't think I want.

Before I came here to look around for advice, I was looking at mGAME. After I heard Manjaro was really unstable, interest started dropping.

I also heard that with Ryzen CPUs, passthrough was a pain in the ass but not impossible.

I'm sure you'll hear different, but I wouldn't use Linux on AMD hardware period

If you're as computer illiterate as you say, then just dual boot. You can try making virtualization work when you feel more comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend jumping into it like this. Also disregard archfags and just install some bigger distro with a nice GUI installer and lots of users (probably some ubuntu variant, mint, or fedora). Unless you want it to do it the hard way. Then you can try tinkering with arch, but I would recommend to do it in a VM first.

Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.

Dual boot it with Windows. It's going to be the easiest for you.