There are people who don't like riddick movies

what's wrong with this universe

They have bad special effects, dumb plots, and subpar actors. What's to like?

you haven't watched chronicles

They came too late. Riddick is from the 80-90s school of action/adventure. Modern Josswheedonesque-marvelcapeshit is all about hipster characters larping as alpha.

Chronicles got trashed by msm reviewers and that killed off any potential. The third one was indy level of budget.

Pitch Black was a great little movie.
Chronicles of Riddick was a bizarre mess that seemed to take place in a totally different universe.
Riddick practically pretended the second movie didn't happen and was basically an unnecessary repeat of Pitch Black.

It never should have been a franchise or a series. They should have just left it at Pitch Black.

I actually really enjoy watching VD's lel autistic space fantasies.
At least you can see there was some love put into the films, unlike the formulaic and predictable capeshit parade we've been living with for the better part of a decade.

it had some connections to the last movie
also had connections to chronicles, but it really did feel like a copy of pitch black

It's riddickulous

They're a bunch of very comfty SF movies that got lots of imagination and care put in.
It's got that 90' feel of randomness.

But the sequels shouldn't have happened. Second one fell flat despite a promising story and the third one was just a copy of the first one with some Jurrasic park added.

What I would love is that they made an Avatar x Riddick mashup. Killing the blue buggers with his bare hands in the dark.

Chronicles is objectively the worst.

and most importantly, they have vin diesel

riddick was worse, chronicles might even be the best one

I like the Riddick movies, OP.

I liked the Riddick movies, but that 2013 movie was awful.

Chronicles of Riddick was good, but some of the sets were pretty badly done. There were a few times where it was painfully obvious Vin Diesel was just running through poorly made sets with obvious set pieces thrown around haphazardly.

All 3 are like watching the vibrant imagination of a 16 year old boy play out on screen. If that's a good thing or a bad thing is subjective.

Pitch Black and Chronicles are both good imo, but chronicles was too large in scope. Having riddick fight human foes made sense, but the ending was dumb

Pitch Black came out in 2000. It was standard be-afraid-of-the-dark scifi/horror. Chronicles was panned because it pivoted the franchise into space opera territory and normies couldn't handle it. That's why Riddick went back to basics and essentially cloned the first movie. And it wasn't indie-level budget - they spent nearly $40M making it.

Aren't most big studio movies made for hundreds of millions of dollars?

Pitch Black was a solid if unremarkable sci-fi horror movie.
Chronicles was forgettable, and seemed to be a vanity project for Diesel (Riddick's so fucking badass, you guys. He killed that guy with a tea cup. Woah)
I didn't see the third one.

More like Riddick and Morty!
SCRUBBALUBADUBDUB

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A NECROMONGER, MORTY
SCRUBABDUBADUBDUB

get out spic. I'm calling ICE now

It's not as much as the bloated budgets that capeshit gets (probably due to way less spent on advertising alone), but saying it gad an indie tier budget is a retarded exaggeration.

Did someone say…Reidick?