Can we settle this once and for all?

What's the best desktop distro?
Provide sensible arguments why your favorite distro should be the #1 desktop distro and we will have a fair vote to finally put this issue behind us.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC
ponyos.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gentoo because yes

Arch bcus fuck Gentoo, there's no reason to compile everything you download, and it's better than Debian. Arch Wiki is a great resource, aur is also nice, and it uses less than 100mb ram on my machine.

GNAA/Linux. It's the only OS that doesn't discriminate against niggers.

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

like Arch but with Stallman's seal of approval.

IS L4N actually usable now and not just a sfw-style joke?

The only arguement I have against arch is that since some of the packages are not compiled by you they could be backdoored in transit or at arch's server farms. Gentoo on the otherhand requires them to backdoor the script used to build the package or to backdoor the source code. Which you can check yourself to verify.

Still for real security everything is fucked.
For performance on intel proccessors clearlinux is best. For performance on AMD use lubuntu or something like that because it shouldn't have the intentionally slower compililation stuff added in.

Well every linux distro(save maybe ubuntu) can be used as a text based console to get work done. So yes in that capacity. Also what are you doing outside your containment board?

windows 10 ltsb 2016

Ubuntu can't? Why not?

Typewriter. Get out and socialize.
GNU/Linux running Windows in a VM because fucking everything will work on Windows

Windows.

Qubes OS

Debian. It works and is stable and has years of the highest quality security support other than RHEL. It's the closest to Windows in terms of providing a stable, supported platform and is why it gets deployed in industry so much.
If you're even considering Gentoo in a desktop lineup it's clear you're a fedora that doesn't understand what the world needs from a desktop OS.
That said, every Linux is a completely shit desktop OS so we're judging the special olympics. I've been using Linux since 1995 and I use Windows as my desktop OS. Many other Linux devs use Macs. Get over it and run one of them in KVM.

This.

Gentoo for desktops and servers, unless you're a corelet.
Arch for low powered laptops.

OP, here is your answer. It's settled.
Until something comes along a replaces the clusterfuck known as Linux, this is where we are.
Deal with it.

Fuck off you piece of shit, u dont even know the reasons for compilation, its not 90s anymore and compiling software isn't big deal.

Summary:
Anything that suits your purpose is ok.. BUT the real linux distros that remained pure and true are(With hard to use/install number from 1-10):

Slackware < 6
Gentoo < 9
PCLinuxOS < 2
Devuan < 4

Basically anything without systemdick is pure unix-like linux system.

What's the bunny for?

its plan9 from bell labs user

Salix.

One application per task - no clutter.
No systemd.
Good, light desktop environments - MATE and Xfce to choose from.
Easy install with sli.
Additional tools to help you configure your system - Gslapt, Sourcery, etc.
Everything works out of the box.
Very little hard drive space taken.

Gentoo.

I run Gentoo Hardened on a Core i3-2310M (2.1 FUCKING Ghz) computer. It's not really bad once you compile everything. Palemoon took like 90 minutes to compile though, compared to 13 on my desktop.

So you end up with a completely non-functional desktop? Ubuntu is a gateway drug, apparently.

lol what

Tsk.

That happens with plebs only.

Ultimately depends what purpose the user has for the distro.

Does the user desire a distro that prioritizes security?
Does the user desire a distro that requires little maintenance?
Does the user desire a distro that allows for mass expansion and editing of the code?
Does the user desire a distro that is friendly towards new users?

faggots. all of you.

mint/mate
i'm a lazy fuck and everything works ootb. suck it, nerds.

install gentoo

gentoo

gentoo because it has the best logo and best kind of penguin

Gentoo. because it doesnt has systemd

Gentoo. If you're not compiling from source, you're compromised.

Gentoo. It is the fastest because it optimizes all code for your specific CPU

gentoo, it doesnt force you to have some retarded desktop environment, encourages compiling code instead of downloading binaries, and is the fastest distro

gentoo. only n00bs use fedora/ubuntu

looks like we have the answer

Ubuntu, possibly with a different desktop environment, is best for most people. It werks.
I use Debian. It's not a great desktop distro, but it's decent for just about everything, including many of the dumb things I want to do.

What the fuck are you saying? Debian is a great desktop distro, except for the fact that it uses SystemDick.

have you been living under a rock for the last 10 years?

yes, which is why portage lets you use a binhost. you have to be retarded to not figure out to set one up, it's pretty fucking simple
to not compile:
emerge --usepkg my-package
to compile
emerge my-ackage
pretty fucking simple, all you need is a URL to the binhost and you put it in your make.conf
I use the CloverOS one
PORTAGE_BINHOST="cloveros.ga"
Gentoo has Overlays, while it's not as fruitful it would be so if Gentoo were a more popular system. Help us by switching to Gentoo!
easily achievable on Gentoo.

woops, I got that wrong it's actually --getbinpkg not --usepkg (or -g)

Parabola officially supports OpenRC (it's not the default though, and one of the devs using it never got around releasing OpenRC installation media as he said):
wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC

I guess you also rejected GNU, Linux, UTF-8, C89 and stuck to your System VII version of Unix running on a PDP-11.

fucking lol faggot

PonyOS
ponyos.org/
pink
none

Ultimately the best desktop distribution will change per user and use case. What do you value? What can you live without? How do you feel about some proprietary software? If it's alright, how much? These are questions that cannot and should not be answered by a bunch of neckbeards on an Indonesian basket weaving forum.

I can however tell you what I enjoy the most. I think AntiX does a great job. It's very light on resources, systemd free, and it is possible to base the repositories on Debian stable, testing, or unstable depending on your preference and choice during installation. It has excellent persistance features. In general, it makes tasks easier without treating the user like an idiot. The new beta even features some handy terminal applications, including a radio player and a way to stream JewTube audio.