Which CPU manufacturer has better compatibility with Lignux?

Aside from that, which one has better features/design?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Intel up to the haswell generation then all of them are crapshoots. With AMD you are stuck with the (((PSP))) unlike intel where the newish generations can have the (((ME))) engine disabled. Anything after haswell and you have blobs neccessary for both brands to even load the cpu's features which is to say a crapshoot. Ryzen is a perfect example of this. The hardware engineeers did a excellent job at make the proccessor. The (((software engineers))) sucked absolute balls at designing the microcode. So much so, that the cpu segfaults at high load under normal operation. That is completely unnacceptable for both servers and common usage like gaming and web browsing even.

Intel worked best for me always, dont know for you guys, even older intel cpus worked better than newer amds, compilation times were huge difference.

Intel and Nvidia at the moment. And I say Nvidia because AMD on the GPU side really fucked up compatibility with their older cards after they stopped supporting their older proprietary GPU drivers. If you have an older AMD card you have NO CHOICE but to use the older FOSS radeon driver since fglrx (the proprietary driver) bricks newer kernels while AMDGPU only works on newer cards

Nvidia's proprietary drivers are not working on kernels from 4.4.x and above... They dont want to submit one fucking patch to fix this shit. Anyway, nouveau is working great, i have tested both FLOSS and prop and there is no difference.

We can't know for sure since their are hidden instructions
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf
Only POWER is auditable.

This
If only both AMD and Nvidia would stop blobbing or not releasing their code.

Intel. Because GPU driver devs are not jews and don't have 56 different versions of proprietary and libre blobs, everything is mainline and they even added support for h264 playback on GMA 4500 in 2014, this means these guys care.
Intel still makes viable mobile processors despite their horrendous price, late core M series have the same performance as desktop Sandy Bridges and you can play mid 2000's games in 4k on them.
There is still no news about libreboot on AMD, so until then they are not to be trusted.

Intel integrated graphics drivers are free software and in the linux kernel already, faggot.

If you aren't aware. The original reason intel even had a graphics stack on linux is because hobyists were the ones writing drivers prior to the new age intel hd cards. All GMA 4500x and previous were all written by hobyists. With intel contributions after the intel HD line started to pick up steam around 2008. Intel's contribution of splitting the xorg stack into two, SNA and UXA, and writing the kernel portion for intel HD+ drivers are their only notable contributions.

Their xorg drivers are still buggy peices of shit, their kernel portion is shit for the newer cards, their opengl stack in mesa is great, and the DRM driver is acceptable but mediocre. Try harder jewtel shill.

What are the options? Nvidia has decent proprietary GPU drivers, but AMD proprietary and open source drivers are mediocre to poor.

If it's for gayming, AMD has Vulcan.
No reason to buy anything Intel and nVidia related on desktops.
In laptops is hard to shill for AMD, as their processors and cards are a fucking joke.

It's too late to ask that. AMD has already won.

No offense, but I don't really play video games. I've looked for OpenCL benchmarks that include Vega, but I have found any yet. I'd be more impressed with that.

AMD cards have required firmware blobs since r600. ATIAMD cards are useless. Intel is best for open source software, followed by Nvidia (firmware burned into EEPROM chips on the card, nothing proprietary running in userland under Nouveau).

You're a nigger

Intel is a very pozzed company. Go AMD, boycott the virus.

They're both garbage made by streetshitters, now. You need the microcode updates installed for either one or you'll get fucked. Sucks for embedded since Intel's are large.

Are you sure?
My only gaming that I do on my Lignux PC is emulation and I only need a GPU for upscaling those games to highres.
Shouldn't the latest, best ATI cards be suitable for that?

Do ATIAMD cards have good lignux compatibility?

Models from the last few years work perfectly unless you're an autist kvetching about firmware blobs. The only thing they lack (under open drivers) is OpenCL.

amd is still pure shit. both of them put spyware in the cpu now. You should probably get an amd, but only because the last amd chips without that are newer than the last intel ones without it.
fam16h and onward has PSP, earlier I think is mostly all good.
if you have six grand to blow just order a TALOS workstation.

TIAMAD cardodingdongs have gooderbest lignux compatabaditility

Achshually, Intel CPUs do not contain spyware. **It's in the chipset.*

The mobo+CPU combo costs only $2300. If you buy all remaining components yourself (standard PC stuff), you should easily fit under $3k for a complete system.

if Intel release their code, they'll be slaughtered by folks from Rambus for patent infringement

Blender render times comparing Vega 64, Vega 56, 1080ti, and 1080.

Works On My Machineā„¢