Is Libreboot dead ?

No update in almost one year.

What about Librecore ? It was supposed to replace it right ?

Other urls found in this thread:

librecore.info/
libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme
github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki
notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot
stallman.org/notes/2015-sep-dec.html#22_November_2015_(Male-female_sex-change)
rio-olympics123.blogspot.com/.............
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm not sure, but to me seems like it isn't an actual replacement fro libreboot, since it does nothing for bypassing IME

You can't bypass IME. That's outside of the scope of the librecore bootloader.

That's what Libreboot is supposed to achieve, though.

Trannytron broke down after trying to call the FSF off all places, transphobic.

It then proceded to tar the name of Talos Workstation with her support during this shitfest of a time, making people think it was involved in the project.

FSF is probably forking the project and using European autists to do it correctly.

are you retarded

Yes. Diversity training is hard to shake.

You're (((ours))) now, goy

Basically dead at this point Francis the last time I saw Francis was on the Trisquel Forum shilling for his product.

Depends on the version and the hardware flaws that can be exploited.
But for modern CPUs is seems that it isn't feasible to remove it to a hundred percent.

Basically this
Come on m8 you're better than this.
This is one of the shit that enrages me, the FSF slander is nothing compared to sinking the boat of another project that you don't even work in.
Na actually libreboot came back in the FSF and some more or less compromise was done.
For me that's a mistake but hell maybe Francis has stopped is madness and decided to reverse the bullshit he did to himself, I hope that he's better in that way.

Librecore has decided to work on platform that were it was possible to do something.
Aka they decided to support anything besides X86
librecore.info/

this is a sfw board please spoiler your shock images

Libreboot is supposed to boot the OS. It isn't part of the scope to bypass hardware locks inside the CPU.

It is dead OP. Just be a man and use coreboot.
Avoid this tranny/SJW bullshit...

Illiterate dumb faggot, please go back >>>/g/ or >>>Holla Forums
Libreboot is supposed to behave as a BIOS.
Therefore, manage the hardware and allow you to use the CPU w/o Intel microcode.

Libreboot doesn't manage the hardware. BIOS means Basic IO System. The purpose of having such a basic system is to have enough electronics to boot the rest of the system! Intel microcode does not require any BIOS to work.

Yes it does during the start-up.

libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme

My librebooted X200 works perfectly fine, Mr. NSA

coreboot is licensed under GPLv2 you autist

I'm fucking hating Holla Forums right now.
I also hope this is a momentary condition and all the illiterates will leave as the summer ends.
From github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki

Same, but I wish the battery lasted more.

you clearly haven't read your Stallman

Yeah I've switched to Coreboot with SeaBIOS and ME Cleaner for my x86 laptops. For desktop use I've pre-ordered the Talos 2 workstation that uses POWER9 without any microcontroller backdoors. I'm currently waiting for more news on the Librem 5 smartphone before I put any money into it, though I am definitely considering the $600 package so I can get one early next year.

Bypass is the wrong word to use. The goal is to cripple or totally disable the ME so that you can have secure low level hardware that doesn't access your memory (including the BIOS EEPROM) and OS networking stacks without your permission. As things stand you can cripple the ME on most Core i series processors from Intel by using a program called ME Cleaner on GitHub which strips down the ME firmware to remove AMT and all of the other potentially malicious stuff that access the things mentioned above. The most critical fix is the removal of its networking capabilities so that it can't phone home, and it removes like 90% of the attack surface for skids at Starbucks. The ME will still run but it only does power management and basic hardware initialization. This is about as good as it gets if you don't want to use 10 year old hardware.

Microcode is not the same as the BIOS or Intel ME controller firmware or AMT interfaces. You still have non-free CPU microcode even with Libreboot. You're just as uninformed as the other guy.

The BIOS is only there to start critical low level hardware like the CPU cores and then search for a kernel or bootloader and start it. Libreboot is more than a BIOS replacement because it takes out all of the ME firmware and permanently disables it. IIRC it uses hardware fuses so it's a one time deal.

Coreboot uses proprietary blobs so that your hardware works. It's not ideal but it's better than being radical freetard who can't make their display sleep or has to use a 15 year old netbook. The best you can do is isolate it so that things that you don't want connecting to the internet can't do so. The Intel ME is the biggest hurdle we face today and we'll just have to deal with it until we can get RISC-V consumer CPUs that are faster than 300MHz with boards to match.

Based Stallman

Librecore and Libreboot have different scopes. Libreboot isn't just Coreboot without the proprietary stuff, it also includes documentation and scripts to make installation as easy and smooth as possible. Leah calls it a distribution of Coreboot, because Libreboot is to Coreboot sort of what Trisquel is to Linux.
That also means that Libreboot might rebase on Librecore at some point, because Librecore's scope is more similar to Coreboot's than to Libreboot's. They're not competing for the exact same niche.
If you know what you're doing Librecore could be a viable replacement for Libreboot, similar to how you don't actually need a distro to put a working GNU/Linux system together.
Libreboot hasn't had a release for almost a year, but its git repository seems active:
notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot

Every processor already runs it's own preloaded microcode itself, probably flashed through test pads on the factory for each stepping, and it is not a problem (as all proprietary hardware thing) neither for FSF or Libreboot project as they state, microcode updates however, reside in "firmware/software domain", that means they are either stored in EEPROM flash/as kernel module/GRUB payload on disk and loaded by BIOS/UEFI/coreboot/GRUB or kernel itself during every startup sequence, depending on system implementation. Microcode doesn't run and allocate system memory for itself like Management Engine does.
The problem rather is "Do I trust this binary blob Intel released after event X, would it make my system more vulnerable or more secure, I can't really tell because it is proprietary binary package, but people say it really fixes pi computation hangups or broken virtualization, it probably won't fuck with my kernelspace/userspace activities too, so I should give it a bite of a bullet, instead of buying a new CPU with said microcode hardcoded in"
This is similar to plugging USB devices to your system. The device interactions are handled by libre driver, it's firmware doesn't share system memory, but the firmware is 100% proprietary, is stored on internal flash memory of said device and can be updated through reflashing over SPI or debug mode over USB. Think of proprietary microcode in your BIOS chip as a firmware update for external device (CPU), your CPU however is handled by free software and firmware (ME removed, kernel modules are free) but done on every startup because CPU itself has no free non-volatile memory due to security concerns.

any verified source to prove the origin of these words?

It's false

stallman.org/notes/2015-sep-dec.html#22_November_2015_(Male-female_sex-change)

Is that really a function of Libreboot software is it a supplementary function of the process of installing Libreboot?

I still stand by my argument that it isn't Libreboot's purpose to bypass (cripple, disable) the hardware ME. The best it can do is to bypass the ME in old Intel computers as it uploads free firmware to the ME that renders it disabled.

Once again, microcode is completely unnecessary in booting any system. Microcode is a part of the CPU itself and operates completely without any need to touch any part of the BIOS. If you want to update the CPU microcode, the only time this can happen is at the immediate beginning of the boot sequence. If you do not update the microcode, then the microcode does not affect the boot process.

I'll need further elaboration on what this means. I find it unbelievable that a brand new Intel CPU that is never connected to the Internet will not boot at all or it will be extremely unstable simply because of the fact that it will never receive any updates in the microcode.

Yeah I've never seen issues like memory corruption on newer intel cpus that haven't seen the Internet. I know there are some bugs in the newer chips that may cause the cpu to hang and those are fixed with microcode updates. Maybe that?

Yes, it is. Libreboot is coreboot without ME, without AMT and any other proprietary binary (they reverse engineered the VGABIOS for example) + GRUB as bootloader payload. But disabling ME comes at a cost, for example no quad-core CPU support of buggy virtualization. Obviously, Libreboot works on old computers without asymmetric signatures in BIOS.
Microcode update file itself does not affect the boot in any way, the update process however, does. Does copying photoshop.exe file from your hdd to thumb drive affect the freedom of running software on your PC? No, it doesn't. This is what basically happens when microcode updates are applied to CPU on every boot. The microcode is loaded to volatile memory inside CPU and runs only there, not in RAM unlike ME or AMT.
Usually the microcode updates are added by OEMs in their boot firmware (UEFI/BIOS) during board development process. There is a very long road between CPU engineering sample release and motherboard sales start, about 2 years or so. So there is a probability of buying motherboard with fixed CPU bugs after these patches been applied on production.

that's some weapons-grade autism that you actually even considered it was real
fucking hell, Holla Forums.

I wish I could find someone IRL to libreboot my thinkpad.

rio-olympics123.blogspot.com/.............

Where are you from, user?
There are people on eBay that to this type of service.

I live in boston so I feel like it'd be really easy to find someone to do this for me.

You're in the vicinity of MIT. I'm sure that there's many people in there who would do it for you. I suppose you could join your local Lignux user group and ask them for help.

why should they release useless updates just to bump the version number if everything works already? retarded normies are the reason for web browser version numbers.

how would i even find a local linux user group? I know boston has a bunch cause MIT and shit but I'm just so ignorant to how I would go about doing that

I've definitely noticed instabilities with my X200 systems without the microcode blobs. Not often, but often enough that I care.

Do it yourself unless you need to do soldering. The instructions are easy. I did get dad to help with my X200T because of that, but the wires were left attached, and easy to access from the palmrest so it's nice and easy now.

if you are just looking to get rid of intel ME then go to github.com/corna/me_cleaner
with this you can pretty much destroyintel ME from your firmware

Did you read at least the README?
Anyway, this would be fairly more interesting,

i read the instructions a while ago and it doesn't require soldering, as far as I remember but it does require a specific kind of click and some wires and a raspberry pi

It's worth it when you can repurpose the ARM system for something else. Then you also have a way to unbrick your laptop if you screw up. The instructions are easy to follow too.

Raspberry (Beaglebone Black originally) acts only as a freetard computer with flashing capabilities, simply buy a 5$ chink USB-SPI flasher and plug it into any other computer.

I _really_ don't want to have to take 90% of the system apart if I brick it, just taking the keyboard and palmrest out like an X200 is much nicer. Besides, fuckos would probably just stick a keyboard tap, hidden camera, or apply rubber hose to me if they wanted to get into it, and that's not my threat model. All I care about is random thieves being able to access what's on there and sell it, mass exploitation if something gets found in Intel ME, and freedumbs.

One thing I probably should do is lock the flash chip to read-only from my computer. I haven't had to touch GRUB for ages, and Libreboot doesn't seem to be updating either.

Does it really matter? Coreboot and Libreboot are great in theory only like Copphead, what I cannot use because it only support like 10 motherboards and 3 CPUs might as well not exist.

They're great for people with supported hardware, and it's honestly worth going out of your way to get older Thinkpads for serviceability and design even if they're a bit old. In general, writing replacement boot code is hard because all system startup and initialization is different, and then you get into deliberate DRM like Intel Boot Guard. Coreboot also supports much more than Libreboot because it doesn't care about heavily blobbed systems.

This.
I have a Libreboot T400 from minifree. It's fast with an SSD and I can play OpenMW on it. That's good enough for me.