OS for work

I need a stable operating system for work.
Don't care about rice, it just has to work and not crash.
What is the best OS strictly for getting work done in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

windows 7

What kind of work? You need to be more specific OP.

Programming.

What kind of programming? You need to be more specific OP.

Java

Debian stable
If your work requires you to use MS Office / Photoshit /other Windows only software : Windows 7

Mac OSX

Well, since Java runs everywhereâ„¢ you have a lot of choices. I would most likely go for Debian or CentOS, install and forget. Avoid Ubuntu and anything Ubuntu based. Windows 10 is out of question since there have been many cases when people were screwed over by restarts and updates that broke drivers. W7 could be OK but it will soon be deprecated. If you install CentOS now you wont have to reinstall OS till 2024 if you just use it to program Java and browse documentation.

I thought CentOS and Debian were mainly focused on server side? Do they work well for desktops?
And why will W7 be deprecated?

This. Work related is best to don't go full autist.
Leave the distros to your PC.

You're a retard, aren't you?

Not necessarily, there are Workstation installation options and many workplaces and research organizations use CentOS as their base for workstations.
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
Mainstream support already ended, extended support until 2020. Expect that most software won't be built for 7 anymore.

You obviously never tried.

I have and i really wish i didn't.

Having to teach my stupid sister how to use something I never used before was horrible. I had to learn how to use a Mac and then proceed the next months to listen to her complaining and doubts all the time.

Sure, a you-can't-do-this dream world.

Why avoiding any ubuntu based ?

Over half of my office uses Debian GNU/Linux. The rest use Fedora. The marketing and communications people here use Inkscape for most of their graphics work for flyers, brochures, and banners. GIMP is used for photo editing and retouching. We all use LibreOffice.

Sounds like a nice fucking placing. Looking for new people?

install gentoo

I need to build something. What is the best tool to build it with?

Install Gentoo, but with a fully linux-libre.

Can't you smell OP stinking of curry?

TempleOS

Debian. Devuan if don't want systemd.

I need a stable car for work.
Don't care about the color, it just has to work and not crash.
What is the best car strictly for getting from point A to point B in 2017?

Driver.

Fedora 25 with XFCE.

I bought a MacBook Pro and ended up installing Fedora on it. I'll never buy one again either since the build quality is trash.

Never lose your receipts, kids.

Dodge Challenger.

and without systemd (or Poettering software in general)

I use Ubuntu Mate for my academic work:
- papers in LaTeX
- articles in LibreOffice
- data analysis in LibreOffice
- emails in ThunderBird

No crashes, using a pc from 2008, no ssd.

I'm not that user and have been using Ubuntu as my main distro for a while.
I like it. However it has many unpleasant surprises like zeitgeist-daemon and zeitgeist-datahub which you should remove immediately.

If you remove them and other things, turn off search suggestions, etc. then it's an OK distro, but only if you like the GUI and layout.
In any other case, better go with Linux Mint or other distros.
Drivers and the computer overall work flawlessly here.

Xubuntu

Ubuntu ships with stock GNOME now.

Mint is 1000% worse then Ubuntu
Packages are out of date, it comes bundled with useless proprietary software, and it gives me issues in places Ubuntu works fine.

This

Any specific examples?