Archie Sonic Comics Likely Canceled

archive.fo/C362J

The end of an autistic era.

Other urls found in this thread:

sonicstadium.org/2017/01/solicits-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-294-sonic-universe-97-and-more-revealed/
segaretro.org/Richard_Jacques
segaretro.org/Spencer_Nilsen
gamefaqs.com/genesis/454495-sonic-the-hedgehog/credit
gamefaqs.com/sega32x/584362-knuckles-chaotix/credit
gamefaqs.com/genesis/563343-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/credit
youtube.com/watch?v=TlzNAh0Yob4
info.sonicretro.org/Mr._Needlemouse
segaretro.org/Naoto_Ohshima
info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)#Development_Process
sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Nikki
segaretro.org/Interview:_Mark_Cerny_(2006-12-05)_by_Sega-16
youtube.com/watch?v=zAJE_twq4wE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

theres already a sonic thread damn it. also i wish it would happen but i think the comic might actually last yet another year. SEGA, please pull the trigger on the archie autism already.

Lets be honest, it's for the best.

I heard on here that the sonic comic depends on the new edgy Archie show succeeding to survive. Does anyone know if the ratings for the first episode came out yet?

I don't even understand what a Sonic comic could even be about, or who would read it.
Aren't even popular comics struggling? Like, aren't Marvel and DC comics very low on sales?
Not even the Sonic games are that good, to be honest. The first ones are okay.

It will bomb spectacularly, no matter what the ratings try to say.

Good. Fleetway is superior.

It's trying to be the new Vampire Diaries, and that always got over 3 million viewers per episode, whereas this one just barely surpassed 1 million. Pretty weak for a premier. Teen Wolf got the same ratings too, but that was an MTV show and had a shitty budget, whereas this is a CW show and Archie really blew their load on it's budget. Emerald City that also premiered around the same time is a edgy version of a light hearted movie, and it's doing much better but also failling. And if Emerald City is failing, I think Riverdale will be a total failure too.
TL;DR Riverdale is shit and Archie shouldn't have put so much money on it.

I'm sure Penders is laughing his ass off right now.

sonicstadium.org/2017/01/solicits-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-294-sonic-universe-97-and-more-revealed/

The writers of that article sorta went back on it and sorta didn't. New solicits or not, Archie is in trouble. And SEGA might just finally decide to quit their business with them.

What kinda shit

They don't go fast because they have to. They do it because no one else will.

This is now a Sonic Autism Cringe thread.

What, did you think a show that would be 100% based off of the original comics would sell? No one wants wholesome family friendly entertainment these days.

I do. And the truth is, the Archie book is just more leftist let-me-shove-gay-people-in-your-face publication. (Also niggers)

I know it might sound paranoid of me, but at this point i'm just waiting for the show to be do something about Riverdale being an idyllic 50's white town. What's the big twist? Everyone's raycist n shiet?

I think it's supposed to have the culture of a typical 50's town but it's set in modern times so it has to be subversive.

Finally. Also I hope SoJ gets another publisher, somehow get Gurihiru to work on Sonic again, completely reboot it and make sure no Americans touch it.

What do you mean? Americans are perfectly capable of replicating the japanese style, see?

It's clear that Sega wants to take away the license from Archie. It's only a matter of time before they do.

death

Companies will always never tell you if something is dying and only tell you the farthest away truth. Basic damage control.

The sonic fandom is pretty autistic but tbh most of the autism comes from Archiefags and the comic itself. If this does happen. at least the sonic fags will rid themselves of a pretty big tumor.

Archiefags will still be here, making their own shitty continuations of the comic on Tumblr and Deviantart.

Going into the comments in this article, one of the people posting was that there are one of two theories going on.

>1. Archie and Sega are trying to figure out the licensing for the Sonic Boom spin-off series

>2. Sega plans on handing the Sonic comic over to IDW

When Americans try to emulate the Japanese art, you get either early DeviantArt quality art that you'd expect to see from a middle school; or you get someone who does draw really, really well, but then moves to Japan (Like Sindoll).

As far as I know, the ones who have the Japanese art style down without either outcome are the French and the Italians.

Can't wait to see SJWs writing in strawmans in Sonic.

Dubs confirm it.

Yeah but at least them they won't have any reasons to say they belong to the sonic autismo community and will fuck off to their own circles.

meant for

Only nostalgiafags prefer the American Sanic.

This is why he's been shit since the 90's

It is a pretty simple thing to understand.

But all the classic sonic games were designed and programmed by Japs. Americans were just the PR/Markeeting guys.

Ah, early 2000s, where every comic jumped on the manga phase. Just seems like many who say they emulate manga are just lazy artist who don't know basic anatomy or haven't read much manga to know the wide breath of styles there are.

I'll give them a bone and say that I've seen similar manga styles of this quality but only from amateurs who do it for a manga publishers site or on nico nico douga. It emulates manga at the very bottom of the list that you can copy a style, from those who just started and at an unprofessional level.

Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes are good games tbh. Shadow the Hedgehog is… Eh. And 06 just has terrible gameplay there's no defending that.

The Sonic Boom series (called Sonic Toon in Japland) of games is the first Sonic series produced, designed and programmed by Americans. What does that tell you?

I thought it was made by the French?

The TV show is produced and animated by Frenchfags, and it's written and directed by Americans. But i'm talking about the games here, they are 100% American made Sanic.

Yeah but they were a shitty no name studio and had a rushed as hell development. Give sonic to a competent American studio and they'd make good games

Also keep in mind that Sonic Boom was originally supposed to be something else, but Sega and Sonic Team forced them to turn it into a sonic game.

Yeah but they got two extra attempts, and while Fire and Ice was better that thr other two it was still quite pathetic and unenjoyable. Fire and Ice also got delayed for quality control and it still was quite poor anyway, so what's the excuse there?

Portable game that the sanzaru company was just shitting out to make a quick buck. Like how wayforward makes a bunch of shitty licensed games so they can make good games like shantae.

There was also that time BioWare made that Sonic RPG game that was pretty shitty gameplay-wise. But I blame that on the DS's gimmicky system tbh.

that was a canadian production, not an american one.

At least we'll always have Aval0nX.

The studio that made fire and ice and it's sequel mostly makes shovelware and ports of ps2 games, and somehow through sheer luck made a sly cooper game that didn't turn out shit. It's no wonder their sonic games ended up crap.

Is that the guy that made babysitting cream? you know the actual pedophile?

You mean the game that was suppose to be something almost completely different on an entirely different console, if not for the PC, but SEGA kept meddling with them because the Japs were under contract to make another wii u game, but they wanted to make a fucking endless runner smartphone game instead? Like, i don't know if it would've been all that great regardless, but i know for damn sure that the game wouldn't have been as big of a mess if they didn't have to port everything to the absolutely pathetic wii u hardware

Simple, they're filthy weebs that just want to suck jap cock.

Wait what did he do?

It's not like Sonic Boom has ANYTHING that would strain the Wii U hardware. Nothing about it forced them to make an unfinished, bug-riddled mess that would have been a forgettably average game if they had been remotely competent.

They did that too fam

Well to be frank I just mean westerners in general. Though I do think Eurocucks handle jap shit better that burgers and leafcucks do.

Well yeah but honestly i'll rather they sacrifice and port that terrible Boom game instead of wasting more resources sucking Nintendo's cock making another exlusive like Lost World (A good game held-back by the Wii U's terrible hardware). Speaking of that, I blame Nintendo of America and Sega of America for starting the dumb console wars that lead to SEGA having to suck up to Nintendo. The Japs were not conflictive and smug like that, but you know how burgers are, it fucked everything up tbh. Also, the endless runner games were alright by mobile standards.

They were making their game in cryengine, then sega told them to make it for wiiu and for it be a sonic game, and cryengine doesn't run too good on wiiu. They were already so far along, they didn't feel like they could port everything they made to another engine in time iirc.

dude he has fucking arrest warrants and I think he's on house arrest.

The Japs at SEGA also couldn't see a Genesis to save their life, even the fucking Turbo Grafx ran circles around them.

*sell

Revisionist history. Sonic was designed by Americans who had a team of japs making the game under them.

Really? Well, I can't say as I'm surprised.

Anyone got sauce on that?

Source?

Sega as a whole produced the sonic games on the Genesis. It is fallacious to pretend that SoJ gets sole credit for "producing" Sonic. Sega of America came up with the majority of the ideas, despite SoJ disinformation, that created Sonic and even a larger part in Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Knuckles. It being programmed by underpaid japs doesn't make it a japanese idea or product.

The reason why Sonic Boom sucks is because the philosophy that created Sonic originally is gone. It died in 90s Sega of America.
You don't know jack shit about Sega if you think "Sega is japanese" considering it started as an American company, and had strong American influence in most of its popular games (and by popular I mean outside of Japan.) Sega of Japan was a complete failure in their home market when it came to consoles. They only ever succeeded in arcade cabinets, which followed the model set forth by the original American company.

Sega Megadrive/Genesis in particular owed its success to SoA, and would have gone down in flames if left up to SoJ. These are facts, I suggest you get educated on them. You Sonic X kiddies just don't know dick about this topic.

Programmers/Coders>>>Ideas Guys
Also, drawing an eviroment is not the same as doing the code and creating the assets to put it in a game.

And, the Saturn and the Dreamcast were…what then?

In Japan, the Dreamcast was still getting games well into '08.

I remember that now. Fair enough.

Sega was contractually obligated to make a couple of Wii U exclusive Sonic games for Nintendo, though apparently they counted one of the Sonic and Mario Olympics games towards that. Making Sonic Boom a last-minute port was bad management, but that's not exactly surprising from Sega. It's not like they weren't warned. I suppose they might have panicked when the Wii U sold poorly and tried to cut their losses.

Well at least SEGA only has to suck up to Nintendo, Hudson got fucked into a merge with Konami of all people. And we all know Konami will crash with no survivors (and no Panchikos).

That's underselling it. It had a full development cycle, however half of that was downgrade-porting it because Sega lied to BRB about the WiiU's specs.

It was, but you know, Japs are the codemonkeys n shit while Americans sit back and do the (((economics))). Give me the name of "American" SEGA programmers/composers/designers if you know it all then.

Shortfuse kicked ass, shame he was way too OP and had to be teleported to an alternate dimension. They could have just had Robotnik invent some sort of laser that can damage that metal, and kept him in that way.

Whoa, a foreigner company with fuckall markeeting skills would have done poorly without an American company to back it up on foreigner ground? Like Nintendo of America and Sony do? No fucking shit dude. At least the Japs pull that off, ask Microsoft how they're doing selling their console hardware on Jap soil.

Also, the Japs created Sonic with the intention of it pandering to American audiences, everything about Sonic was what Americans considered cool. It was never about succes in their own territory because the concept of Sonic doesn't appeal to Japanese people. So SEGA though the US was a better market to exploit that Japan, even so they still tried, and failed, to sell their product to Japan.

Spencer Nilsen and Richard Jacques are two notable composers who were involved with various Sega titles.

Nigger, the Japs could not sell a console to save their fucking LIFE, never mind in other countries, even in Japan most of their consoles have been on fucking Life Support, with only the Saturn really having any kind of success.

Mark Cerny.

Programmers are more often than not just hammering out an idea into the code. No idea, no code. It is like saying "the bricklayer is better than the architect".

Flops. Miserable flops. Saturn had a decent library of RPGs (and that's about it), and the Dreamcast was garbage despite fanboys in denial.

segaretro.org/Richard_Jacques
segaretro.org/Spencer_Nilsen
Yes I can see them. But what about programmers, designers and writers?

You try telling me those guys aren't fucking jews. Come on.

gamefaqs.com/genesis/454495-sonic-the-hedgehog/credit

Also, compared to what Microsoft sells per month in Japan, SEGA did better with their home and foreign market.

They ought to hand it over to Shonen Jump, it's not like their comics don't sell in the west. And it will likely be fun and not preachy.

Sega are very protective of their licence, and Archie is as full of SJWs as IDW is

>gamefaqs.com/genesis/454495-sonic-the-hedgehog/credit
Yeah, that video's not suppose to be there, i had something typed up about SoJ being so bad all the programmers jumped ship to SoA, and i just forgot to delete it.

Making a videogame is not the same as making a house faggot.

They did poorly in Japan, you retard. They would have flopped everywhere if not for SoA and SoE.
Half right. The Japs wanted a character that would sell in the west, and so they had Americans consult the Japanese creators every step of the fucking way until the great product known as Sonic the Hedgehog hit Genesis and Megadrive systems across the world, and was a huge success.
Here is where you confuse the SYSTEM selling like shit in Japan because SoJ sucks vs Sonic selling badly in Japan on a system that has already flopped and continued to flop and was the reason why SoJ rushed out the saturn which also fucking flopped.

LEARN SOME ACTUAL HISTORY YOU RETARDED MEMELINIAL

I am a programmer, you probably have this hollywood notion about the great lone programmer putting out his artistic creation. That does happen, but usually such passion products take multiple years to do. Sonic the Hedgehog took like one year to do, and had a team of people all following a PLAN. They aren't any more responsible for the game being a success, because they are completely replacable just like a brick layer. The ideas don't come to everyone. Most people can learn how to code. It really isn't that hard, I should know since I am proficient with C, C++, and VB myself.

Found the oldfag

I'm not talking about the system, i'm talking about Sonic. The series was never about succeding in their own land because furry shit doesn't appeal to Japanese people. That's why they included humans in the anime. Japan just doesn't like Sonic. Besides, what do you know about corporate direction? The 90's weren't going to last forever and the Sonic games were starting to sell poorly with titles such as Spindash, Sonic R, Drift, etc. Sonic Adventure saved the Sonic series from falling into obscurity like Crash did, because guess what, Crash never left the 90's. Hell the reason SEGA started including all these anime elements in Sonic wasn't to make it more popular in Japan, but rather because Manga and Anime had a guge rise in popularity in the US during the early 2000's and the end of the 90's. Even the comics tried to be more like shitty anime highschool drama.

I dunno, putting SatAM and the others DiC stuff side by side with the Sonic OVA I would think the Japs had a much better grasp of Sonic and it's world/lore that Americans did.

Who said that it was? Learn to fucking read. You are completely lost in this conversation.
Who the fuck cares? I'm addressing when Sonic was good, not when it turned to shit.
All SoJ turds after SoA had been neutered.
Who said anything about "anime elements" being some kind of problem? It's the lore they came up with that is stupid and the games they made based around that lore. They should have just retired Sonic instead of trying to milk a series they only had half involvement in and never got the idea behind to begin with. That's the fucking point I was making. Sonic was good, then it turned to shit, and there is a direct coorelation between control over the IP's direction. Full japanese control turned to shit. This isn't about "hurr japanese suck", the majority of the games I like are Japanese. It is them ruining Sonic because they hated him. Sega of Japan hates Sonic, or at least hated him. He is a reminder that their only console success came from Sega of America and it embarrasses them.

>I'm not talking about the system, i'm talking about Sonic. The series was never about succeding in their own land because furry shit doesn't appeal to Japanese people.

You do realize that you're moving the goal posts, right?

I don't see that user saying the Genesis or the Saturn did good in Japan, or saying anything else other that Japan creating Sonic. Maybe you should get some glasses gramps.

There was barely any lore when SatAM came out, and the japanese lore is just that, lore they added onto the thread bare lore of the original games.

And it's much better, so.

You do realize you're not answer the question right?

No, not by a long shot.

Maybe you should point to the part where I implied that user said that. Go on, take your time.

Original question:

>Give me the name of "American" SEGA programmers/composers/designers if you know it all then.

Alright nostalgiafag. You have, Sonic 1, CD, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Chaotix. That's it? That's all the good Sonic games to you?
gamefaqs.com/sega32x/584362-knuckles-chaotix/credit
gamefaqs.com/genesis/563343-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/credit

Look at all those fucking american names. That sure is an american made game.

How so?

And you gave me two composers, when I asked for designers and programmers also.

When was that user talking about the Saturn or the Genesis?

Tell me a single furry shit series without humans that sells great in Japan.

As someone else put it, Sonic in the OVA is similar to numerous other shonen characters that existed at the time.

And the producers and designers? Do they not exist?

They better reflect the feel of the original series. As for the OVA I can't comment on it. I have not seen it yet, but if it is anything like Sonic X then I would say it is garbage. If it is just the Japanese lore in its infancy before they made it "on earth, with human sidekicks, and a dr. eggman that is laughable and never a threat" then the quality might be better. SatAM isn't perfect. I have never watched Underground, it looks quite bad to me. Adventures is bad with some good classic cartoon philosophy behind it. In any case all of these are ADAPTIONS. They have no bearing on the lore. That changed when SoJ forced their favored lore into the games, which ruined them.

I was talking about the system doing badly you retard, and then that user (or you, more likely) went on about Sonic. I was talking about SoA being the main reason Sega Megadrive/Genesis did well. Learn to fucking read. I then chastised that user you for confusing what I was talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=TlzNAh0Yob4
Arguably the best Classic Sonic game, notice all the jap names?

What happened to this thread?

Samurai Pizza Cats, Sherlock Hound, Kimba the White Lion

It's not anything like Sonic X. Sonic X reflects Modern Sonic, Sonic OVA is classic Sonic. Underground is pure shit, a mutated baby born of the fusion of Adventures and SatAM. It's terrible but in a way that it's so bad it's kinda funny.

Producers are paid to make sure everyone stays on task and that all that is required for the project to succeed is there. They get a lot of credit for doing very little, so it is ironic that "being the idea guys" is bad, but being an over-credited manager is so vital they deserve so much fucking credit.
In either case the entire team was subservient to American ideals, that told them week by week what to do with this or what to change to make the game more appealing to westerners. How can you ignore that like this team of japs did it all by themselves when they admittedly did not?

Just one? Heh, Zootopia.

Are you serious? That's succes to you? Even Sonic is more succesful that those in Japan.

Because it's Disney and was hyped to hell and back everywhere. Dreamwork's movies perform like shit on Japan, especially the furry ones.

The monkey girl is cute.

So the Japanese hate animals?

Because you keep saying "The Team" or "The Americans" but you don't give out any names. Why should take your work for it?

Kind of, yeah. Japs are autisti and don't love animals the way us westerners do. They love Collect-It-All stuff like Pokemon, Yokai and Digimon though. But that's not the same stuff.

A bunch of soreass nationalists and Japanophiles started arguing.

Japs are pretty fucking degenerate but they are not furfaggot tier degenerate… yet. Zootopia actually introduced a bunch of jap artists to the concept of furries and fursonas. Who knows, maybe Zootopia will help to push the furry agenda to Japs.

kek

I don't like Japan though, I think Holla Forums shills Japanese nationalism way too fucking much and I think Japan is a pretty fucking degenerate country tbh. I also don't like the shilling of manga/anime does in this board. But, I give credit where it's due and Sanic was created by Japs. That's all i'm saying, i'm not sucking Japan or SEGA's cock.

I mean they invented shit like catgirls and whatnot. Basically helping bring more people closer to liking furries.

Catgirls/Monstergirls are a step above full-on furfaggotry though. But still pretty fucking degenerate. Didn't a new monstergirl anime just come out too?

Catgirls and monstergirls aren't furries.

T: Furfag in denial

So why exactly did they need Sega of America to head the project and consult them on every major decision?

I'm right. Because they are mostly human they can't be furries.

They're the gateway fetish.

Yeah they're extremely popular right now.

Because Sanic was intended for American audiences. How's a jap gonna sell to a burger? When anime got it's surge in popularity in America and the world they pretty much dropped the "90's Extremely Radical" style. And instead they went full weeb. And that's how Sega of America got holocausted (and SEGA merged with another company and didn't feel like they needed them anymore considering the 90's were almost 20 years ago)

Uh-huh

You mean the Sammy buyout? Sega was broke and in debt at the time.

I mean just listen to Sonic's JP Voice Actor. They got a dude that spoke clear english because Sonic is such an American rooted character.

So the American input changed enough about it to make it sell to American audiences, but at the same time it is somehow totally 100% a Japanese product with all the credit going to Japan who wouldn't have been able to make that product without American input in the first place.

You gotta do what you gotta do to survive man. At least the Sammy Jap kikes haven't done anything to hold them back so far.

Well actually there's two traits people without furfetish tend to dislike. Snouts and the fur itself.

If there's a human face and the body is at least mostly hairless, it's not "furry" to them.

Yes. Welcome to business. That's what markeeters and researchers do. Americans builded all the hype for the Sonic games, but if the japs had fucked up none of the hype would have mattered because the games would have been shit. Shit games don't sell.

I think you are confused. Sonic's very design was settled upon thanks to their input. As was the name, and type of animal, the idea behind the gameplay, etc. etc. You seem very confused about what involvement they had. It wasn't just "hype" whatever that is supposed to entail.

Does every sonic thread now have to have an autistic debate over who "really" created Sonic?

YES

Well Sonic is an autism magnet so yes.

info.sonicretro.org/Mr._Needlemouse
segaretro.org/Naoto_Ohshima
You are attributting a lot of credit to people that you are just not giving a name to. And even if they provided the ideas, it was up to the japs to make it good and fun. You can have all the great ideas you want but it doesn't make a game good or succesful.

Unfortunately, no one wants to go onto the dozens of sites detailing Sonic's exact creation, like here:

info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)#Development_Process

What is hype? Commercials, markeeting campaigns, branding deals, you know shit like that. For example, Sonic being the game that came with the Genesis console. The cartoons and the comics and all the product deals they made. That's what "building hype" is.

That still asys Japs made it, while Sega of America though it was a dumb idea at first, and then made a plan to market it towards western audiences.

And when they ended up making was

The guy on the left. It was a markeeting thing, because Sonic looked nothing like that in the actual games.

Blame Nintendo.
Iirc, they had to butcher the game to get it running on the Wii u because the console could barely handle it.

They and the other stuff mentioned

CryEngine was working just fine on the Wii U when Crytek was porting over Crysis 3 (Until the project was shut down when EA didn't want to fund it).

What the fuck? Well, that does sound familiar to that one Sonic Manga. Kokoro something? But at least there it's not that weird. It doesn't involve Nebraska for one. He's just a normie that turns into Sonic and saves the day from time to time.

Wasn't this the plot of fleetway, only sonic was never born in nebraska and eggman gave him his powers?

pretty sure there were issues. I'll look into it when I wake up. Cause iirc there was a trailer for cryengine which showEd sonic boom with higher graphic fidelity than the final product.

Yes, the backstory to Sonic in the Fleetway comics came from the Sonic Bible the Western divisions of Sega developed.

It was the plot of the Manga too
sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Nikki

You do realize Sega of Japan controlled the story right? Consultants don't get credited very often, they are the unsung heroes. The simple fact is that you are attributing 100% of the fucking credit when the official story is even "we didn't know how to make a game popular in the west, so we had Sega of America consult for the project". You are stealing credit. It doesn't matter if you imagine it is only 1% of the credit, you are still stealing it. For what purpose?
Naoto put on paper what he was told. He didn't come up with the idea to make the game Sonic the Hedgehog.

oh jesus fucking christ.
I have that first book.
Instead of watching anime my dad tried convincing me to make it.
He just couldn't understand how off it was, then when I started reading manga I utterly despised it.

It's made to pray on people who have no knowledge whatsoever, the dads who has a kid that watches DBZ who also doesn't know what a manga is.

They aren't cancelled yet, but something major definitely is going on. Apparently some of the freelancers know it, but aren't saying what it is.

The upcoming issues themselves have been pushed back months and are still being pushed back.

Seemed like you were implying that they just created cheap promotion without a lot of substance to it. They promoted the game, and magnificently as well. That is a large part of what Sega of America did. However no amount of "hype" will sell a game the consumer doesn't want. Hence why Sega of America's ideas shaping the product is why Sonic was one of their most successful games.

You're implying SEGA controls Wikipedia, Gamefaqs and SEGARETRO (a fansite)? I mean come on dude.
The page is right here anyway

"For months, numerous character designs were drawn up by an untold number of people, ranging from American wolves to overall-wearing chickens. One of the men who actively submitted characters to the contest was Naoto Ohshima, a designer who had previously worked on the Phantasy Star series. Early on, Ohshima sketched up a plethora of potential headliners, including a rabbit, a mustached-man in pajamas, and a scribble of a hedgehog."

"After some initial discussion, Ohshima approached Yuji Naka to collaborate with him on the project. An up-and-coming programmer, he had previously worked with the designer on the first two Phantasy Star titles. Having freshly come off of a robot-based game that had been cancelled early on, Naka was eager to get back to work, and soon the two men began discussing just what the game could evolve into. One of the aspects that intrigued Naka most was the inherit speed in the game's design. Even as a young child, Yuji Naka had been transfixed by fast cars including the Ferrari line, and after getting into the games industry wanted to capture that feeling, something that a platformer had not yet accomplished."

"The character, originally called Mr. Hedgehog, was from the get-go meant to not only be a reflection of Sega, but an embodiment of the best the United States had to offer. At the time, it was believed that if a franchise was to become popular in the west, it would automatically succeed in Japan as well. Taking inspiration from classic animation with its simple curves and large, expressive eyes, "Mr. Needlemouse" was styled after the likes of Felix the Cat and Mickey Mouse, slowly morphing into "The Most Famous Hedgehog in the World." While the blue hue of the character was directly drawn from the color of the company's logo, the splash of red and white found in the shoes was inspired from one of the most famous American creations of all - Santa Claus. The physical design, buckle and all, was drawn from the look of Michael Jackson, one of the biggest pop stars of the 1980's, and his footwear visible on the Bad album cover. Finally, the "get-it-done" attitude the creators wanted reflected in the hedgehog was drawn from a rising star in U.S. politics, Bill Clinton, who was at the time Governor of Arkansas. With all these elements merging together, and receiving a name change, Sonic the Hedgehog was born."

Also Sega of America ended up turning that into American Sonic, this guy. And said guy appeared in the cartoons and the comics, but not the games themselves. And frankly, while it was a cool idea back then, no one (except you and nostalgiafags) like the American Sonic. Archie comics are shit, Underground is shit, SatAM is barely Sonic (It wasn't even pitched as a Sonic series, they just grabbed the concept and slapped Sanic on it) and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a decent cartoon tbh, but not really that good outside of YTPs.

Can we all just agree that Sonic was always shit no matter what country a game/comic/show came from? Let's not kid ourselves.

Yes it's shit
But it's Jap shit lmao

But the games are fun. It's just that everything else about Sonic is dumb. These characters were not mean to open their mouths so much.

There's a lot of autism in this thread but I'm glad a part of the sonic autism will die when this comic is gone.

Actually a bit upset about the Archie Sonic comics coming to an end, I grew up reading this series till I got to highschool and whenever I went to comic book stores it felt good seeing it was still running after all these years

The 2d games, adventure 1(sonic and tails stages only) and sonic colors and generations were all pretty good.

I liked Sonic Heroes and the Advance series tbh. Good plataformers for the GBA.

It was a pretty autistic series lad. But it was our autistic childhood series.

Heroes probably could've been the best sonic game ever made if they had slightly tighter controls, and the level design didn't go to shit midway through the game.

Most people don't go that far though since the levels feel like marathons and the game gets hard as shit by level 2.

wait? people were giving up by ocean palace zone?

Most people gave up by Rail Canyon.

Yeah, that and the casino levels is where everything goes downhill

Isn't that second where sonic gets turned into a robot, and then sally turns knuckles into a robot to fight him?

Sega controls what was disclosed to those outlets yes. Business information is not passed along like mere gossip, retard.

Looks like you got what you wanted.

if all your sources are gossip then you're not in a good spot.

as if the american lore was any better

alright just read the interview by Cerny or whatever.
segaretro.org/Interview:_Mark_Cerny_(2006-12-05)_by_Sega-16

Basically he says

Japs and Americans don't like to work together obviously. Now what was the better game, Spinball or Sonic 3 & Knuckles (I consider Spinball a good game, but nowhere near the level of Sonic 3)

Why do you keep making autistic screeches over the "Japanese Sonic lore"? Sonic doesn't have "lore". Go write a fanfic, your franchise is dead anyways.

There aren't any because this anons just being a bitch. the worst kind of bitch too the kind people consider taking seriously.

honestly man i think the guys a fucking pedo too but im not making up bullshit just because i hate him. i mean goddamn i get this is the internet and all but fuck have some standards.

not holding my breath Archie Sonic survived penders and the resulting fall out of his idiocy unless something concrete is shown its just pointless conjecture.

All kinds of shit is said on the chans and the exhentai comment section. According to some anons here ZONE is in state arrest too.

The comic or the games? Because there is like two games coming out this year. And although the old comic died there is the reboot.

shit i didnt mean it that seriously man, why do you throw a sperg out? What are you Avalonx?

Neither because all Sonic games are awful.

i know man i know its just damn it gets old

its obvious you didn't but i really genuinely hate that motherfucker for real tangible reasons being a pedophile being at the top of the list. i want him to be hated for real reasons not for fake ones that might spawn defenders or bait out his fans.

understood. just out of curiousy what did Avalonx do other that being a huge furryfag pedo? i don't really know that much about the guy myself other that that.

not much else to know other then he has some shit show of a comic based on a Canadian cartoon.hes an arrogant prick with an ego that needs a punch to the balls.

personally on top of all his furfaggotry and pedo antics its his attitude i hate the most. i wish the fuck swift unforgiving failure followed by a life of pure idle mediocrity

Indeed it is! Its the start of the mecha madness run, Sonic pitched the idea of getting turned into a bot with a chip on his head so he remain himself and he have all the sweet tech. Everyone disagrees with the plan naturally so Sonic lets it go.

Unfortunately he gets knocked out by Fang the Sniper and handed over to Robotnik. Sonic is turned into Mecha Sonic and flys off to the Rebels location. After an awesome as fuck fight with Bunnie, Princess Sally reveals they had a machine that can turn creatures into Robots. Knuckles steps up to get transformed with the chip and it works.

Ensue another fucking awesome battle and both suits are destroyed and both Knuckles with Sonic survive. Sonic is accused of treason and locked into prison to await trial.

Great read.

if his self-insert drawings are anything to go by the dude is a fat thirty something slob that doesn't do shit other that argue why he isn't shit online. i say he's got a pretty pathetic life already tbh.

why does the art look so weird though? it's not that is bad. is just that everything clashes. it's a mess of style. sonic, knuckles and tail's body look totally different to the other guys and the robots don't make sense. heavy as fuck legs and arms with noodle limbs? what? i mean it still looks kinda cool. but it needs some heavey editing to not look so messy.

I like how the artist just said "fuck it" with the jets on that panel and just drew circles.

They don't call that era of sonic comics the dark ages for nothing.

is that the penders era?

I'm starting to see why "fuck Penders" keeps showing up in graffiti in the background of my Sonic porn.

Yep. Pandera's can come up with some cool designs but he fills the panels with way too much detail in the background that you lose focus of the characters in the foreground.

To learn how to do this right is reading berserk despite its incredibly detail in the background the characters are always place where they don't clash against the backgrounds and clearly stick out.

i don't wanna sound like a huge fucking weeb but i don't think western comic artists have gotten to the level of detail stuff like berserk has.

Adam Warren was coming close in Dirty Pair 3.
Lol, he really is the biggest Masamune Shirow fanboy on the planet, isn't he?

But drawing like this nearly gave him a nervous breakdown. He really can't draw like this any more.

Jean Giraud easily matched them. In fact he was the main inspiration for a lot of japanese manga artists and even inspired Blade Runner dude was crazy good.

I wouldn't even consider that weeb considering most Japanese artists aren't even on kentaros level

same user you replied to.
They got the engine working, sure but no other game used it on the wii u.
Also the game wasn't meant to be a wii u exclusive. it was likely being developed for next gen consoles, which is why this: youtube.com/watch?v=zAJE_twq4wE

looks so much better than the final product. Sega probably made them port to the wii u for the Sonic and nintendo exclusivity deal.

granted, even if the game came out on the ps4 with better graphics and performance, it would still be a horribly boring game.

Blue Velvet?

FUCK YOU SSMB WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

MFHAAAAAAW THE FRENCH
have always been know for their manga influenced art , there's been a French style of comics by the artist Jean Henri Gaston Giraud from Paris inspired by that same american excelence like the manga artists , it's fermented in the art style of glorious nippon and it's vintage dated

And nothing of value was lost

Despite sonic lore being retarded, the comics are good

rip you crazy bastard. When it was good then it was shockingly incredible. A hundred times better than it had any right to be and when it was bad, it was unimaginably horrible.

Damn I only know of dirty pair because of the sexy leads, but that is a fuck ton of detail cramped in on those pages.

This

Nice

Well he was a product of his time.

What will Ian Flynn do now? I'm sure he's crushed since he really loves Sonic.

I grew up with these comics so its kinda sad to see it go but it's for the best. Sonic needs to be put down.

Agreed.

What parts did he do?

Oh well, at least we'll still have Sonichu, Lazerbot and Palcomics.

He started working on the comic since #177 and is the lead writer to this day.

Maybe he can get a job at SEGA as another one of their PR guys.

Sonichu is dead, Tails Gets Trolled is on indefinate hiatus and if you've read one Sonic comic from palcomix you've read them all.

Read Transmetropolitan. It's a matter of individual skill and effort, not culture. Just most of the piles of lazy Japanese shit never makes it into English.

I don't think we'll get a new sonichu ever.

Why did it have to get cancelled now, just a year or two after it became actually readable and enjoyable to people who don't have severe brain damage? Why couldn't it get cancelled when Penders was writing it?

It would be ironic if Lara-Su Chronicles actually comes out now, and outlives its progenitor.

>>>/auschwitz/

No.

I think, that, by virtue of being anime it just cant be furry, furry is an entire different beast (no pun intended) Anime mosnter girls are just that Anime girls + monster parts, HOWEVER, there is some Anime about Antrophomorphic Animals that can be considered as furries, like those cats that walk on their hind legs, you know the ones.

monster*

It was always shit, but you're right it should of ended sooner.

Right. What they call furry over there is referred to as "kemono". Same shit, different pile.

Why not?

Why?

Should've been canned after the first lawsuit really.

You can't really say the same about Mario

Downhill manga by a lazy Jap.

Well you're not wrong. Shit it came out of a year long hiatus just to get into yet another half a year long hiatus.

The manga'd quality took a slide downhill. Complete with getting Guts a JRPG party.

So like JoJo, DB, and basically any other shounen classic, then?

You're a zoophiliac. That's why.

Part 6 and 8 are crap, to be fair.

I thought Part 8 was shaping up

Barely just now getting into possible villain territory but it's gone on for years and is just now barely getting it's footing. It's just…. nothing is fucking happening. There's no plot. Stuff just happens. It's boring.

It's the worst fucking part of JoJo and I would like if JoJo fans recognized how shit it is instead of fag-enabling Araki into still milking the corpse of the JoJo series. We had our ending in part 6. And part 7 was the best Araki could produce, nothing will top it. Jojolion is just shit and it's obvious no one wanted to do it.

Yes, exactly. Should've ended it at 7 as just a fun little spin off. But no he had to keep going. Part 6 was a mess but it could have some enjoyment in it. Part 8 is just way worse in every way. The absolute lowest point in the series. I would say I hope it all ends after this but it'd be a sad ending with the fact it ended with such a piss poor part.

The mans creatively drained

yes

Lost a fair few readers with the reboot, apparently, which is understandable. That and it seems Archie is having years of mismanagement and incompetence finally catch up to them while Sega is actually trying to get their shit together.

I think best case scenario if Archie folds is another publisher, maybe IDW, picks up the license and brings Flynn with them to pick up where they left off. God knows they've taken in every other long neglected and orphaned franchise they could get their hands on. Who knows what legal issues that might involve, though. (also would be ironic if Archie dies before the TV show even gets on the air)

And thus something Sonic related is ruined yet again, due to SEGA interfering.

Again.

That was Archie's fault actually. They fucked up with their mismanagement of the Pender's case and just being shitty publishers in general.

It wasn't Archie that decided to bring the in-game canon closer to the comics.

Writting the reboot around the story from Unleashed? Cmon. I can at least appreciate how the event is useful to add coherence to the story as a consequence of the hard reboot, but following the game canon is a terrible idea.

Right, because the Archie Canon was so good? The reboot was the best thing to happen to this comic. And I don't want that fatfuck Penders getting any credit anyway so it's a win-win for me.

Not him, but I'd take the old canon back in a heartbeat.

That's what I hope happens as well. Maybe then we'll get a proper hardcover graphic novel format for the Sonic comics at that point.

Agreed as well. Though I was lucky enough to get into the comics when the first issue I bought was the 252 one.

I didn't mind the reboot at first because I know it needed to be done but the Sonic Unleashed saga dragged on for too long and now Ian is making too many original characters that look like recolors of the main cast.

If the comic goes to IDW, it's starting anew.

It wasn't sega who told them to use Unleashed either. Sega's fairly off-hands with this- don't contradict the official characters too much, do commercials sometimes. Any other shit, such as how shit the Unleashed saga was, you can pin on Ian and the editors.

This too, no one told Ian and the guys to drag that shit for as long as they did. Technically they can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they don't break the rules. The Unleashed Arc was only that long because Ian though he was doing a great job (he wasn't tbh). And as for the old canon, the last arc was really shitty too. It seemed like it was gonna lead up to something big but it was going very slow and stupid about it.

Don't forget the last crossover which lasted what felt like forever and killed a lot of interest in the comic. Even after the fans told him to knock that shit off Ian still wants to do more crossovers.

That's mostly thanks to the editors. One of them though it would be a great idea to make more of that even if it fucked up the pacing because he wanted to sell fast, continuity and pacing be damned. There was also another editor that though making some of the characters retain their memories would be a good idea to sell more comics of the old canon since they could pass it off as if it still happened. But it didn't, the memories shit was dropped as soon as it was made because it was just a shitty cash-in on the old canon. Fuck the Archie editors they are retarded as fuck and Flynn is a dumbass for going along with all their stupid decisions.

I mean, he's the writer. He has to go along with those decisions, man.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike a ton of Ian's choices for the comic especially post-reboot. But a lot of the early clunkyness is more down to Paul Kaminski than anything.

I know, Iknow. Flynn's a good guy. But sometimes I wish he had more of a spine to stand up to his superiors. He's been the lead writer for what, almost a decade now? The editors should at least ask him for advice before they force these things on the comic. So either they don't even ask him, or they do and ignore him anyway.

I want to breed Momiji from behind and use her tail as a cumrag.

then you'll fit right in on the Trump general in cuck/pol/

Hey Holla Forums

I thought we had something special, Holla Forums, I thought WE were your boogieman!

t. Holla Forums

why do you keep saying hey Holla Forums in every fucking thread is this a meme or what

hey Holla Forums

You're old news.

Holla Forums is a better forum than Holla Forumsck sucker general honestly.

I think it's just this one guy who freaks out if he thinks he recognises other users he knows, or thinks other anons are"from" other social sites or image boards. Like if you say "lol" he thinks you're some guy from before my time called Truthseeker, and if you space your paragraphs you're from Reddit and you have to go back, and if you post an image with a Tumblr file name, you're from Tumblr and you have to go back.
He seriously seems to check every thread and every post.

If they do that, they lose any readers they have left. The ongoing story and investment in comic characters is the whole reason the comic kept readers even through the dark age. Pretty sure Sega knows that much, otherwise they'd have already demanded that during the Pendering.

I agree with this sentiment. The DiC characters a popular among comic fans and throwing them in the trash wouldn't be a good idea. Besides, Sega own the rights to the DiC characters anyways. So wherever the Game characters go for licensed comic publishing, the DiC characters follow along with them.

lol thinking only one person here thinks this way

The thing is that Sega will definately get rid of the DiC characters as they've been trying to do that for a long ass time. I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to delete them from the comic just because Sega of Japan didn't make them.

Where did this idea that SoJ hates the DiC characters come from? Can I get a source on that?

So SoJ doesn't like the Freedom Fighters because they didn't create them themselves? That seems like an awfully petty reason to axe them.

Buddy, Sega lost money and dropped out of the console race because of SoJ getting petty. Granted, that was 15-25 years ago, and they should have learned something by now, but you never really know.

It's not that they hate the DiC characters, otherwise the Archie reboot wouldn't have had them/added even more like Breezie. It's that having them be main characters, depicted as important as the actual mainline game ones, is likely to not happen again if the comic leaves Archie.

I don't have the screencap, maybe another user here does but I remember Ian saying on twitter that he and the rest of the crew had to fight tooth and nail with Sega to keep the freedom fighters in the reboot.

I didn't know that the Dreamcast's commercial failure had anything to do with SoJ being petty. What's the whole story behind it? I ask because I love stories about hubris biting someone in the ass.

Agreed, if Sega wanted nothing to do with the DiC characters, more wouldn't be added. Though I agree that having the Freedom Fighters appear in a mainstream Sonic game is unlikely at this moment in time if at all.

I would definitely like to see a screencap of that. But if that's true, maybe Flynn and his crew made their case so strongly that Sega would decide to let them bring over the DiC characters to a new comic publishing company.

It's a case of hubris taking years to catch up- SoJ and SoA kept squabbling and fucking up in the transition from the Mega Drive to the Saturn, and that doomed pretty much any future prospects.

And I don't think what they argued with Sega was necessarily to have to keep the FF, but to keep them as main characters. It's [current year] and yet they still want the same setup as SatAM, a show from 1992- that had to take a lot of arguing with Sega for them to agree with.

The whole story begins with the Genesis. The console was monster in the West while it failed in Japan, and it resulted in SoA looking like the favorite child of the company. SoJ didn't take very kindly to this, and tried to cut any and all involvement had SoA when it come to Saturn. As a result of that, the only place the console succeeded in was Japan since it bombed everywhere else. When the development of the Dreamcast began, SoJ was more humbled and both divisions of the company actually came together to make a damn fine console. However, their little Saturn adventure ended up losing the company lots of money and destroyed their reputation. And, when the PS2 was launched, that was the death blow to the company's console ventures.

It's worth mentioning that, as far as I recall, the Dreamcast was actually fairly successful and sold well, they just had such a debt collection from the Saturn that it was useless.

The Dreamcast did do quite well in the Japan, but the U.S. was another story. It was doing moderately well over here, but everything about the PS2 just destroyed it. Even in the weeks that Sony faced a shortage of the console, there were reports of people going out to buy a PS1 instead of buying a Dreamcast. All the way into the final years of the console, Sega was trying to claw back that tiny bit of hope to be a hit again (There was even a test unit of a DVD-ROM drive to replace the standard Dreamcat's GD-ROM drive), but it was too late. Sony was beyond hope of catching, and with the prospect of the next Nintendo console, and Microsoft making their own system (Learning what they could when they made the Dreamcast Windows CE compatible), they figured they better quite while they can and hope to not lose the rest of the company.

I don't blame SEGA for that. Sony was a monster back then and decimated everyone else. I mean hell Nintendo just barely made it through that era. The Wii fucking saved Nintendo from dropping out. That's why Nintendo hasn't dropped the dumb gimmick yet, it was their savior and they know they can't compete in the normal console market anymore.

On top of that consoles in general need to change direction to survive.

I think a key advantage consoles had was how you could just buy X-system and then X-system games and know it'd work, while PC games you had to know how system specs work and constantly upgrade to use the majority of stuff on store shelves.

When internet distribution took off, you weren't limited to the newest games because of shelf space, indiedevs took off, offering less demanding games.

In short that gap in the user-friendly department shrank a lot. Sony and Microsoft are still trying to sell heavily gimped PCs, while I think Nintendo has a chance of strongly outlasting them if the experiments actually pay off.

Obviously not if they fail, but just continuing dictionary to make bigger badder consoles strikes me as approaching a dead end.

The user that does that is a complete embarrassment honestly. Like you have someone do some mild trolling here, and then he spends like three months accusing other anons of being that person like a complete sperg.

This.

Lol

Tumblr.jpg

Technically, shouldn't Sonic explode into a shower of rings at that point?

and his right arm is blue.

DELETE THIS

Any new word from Archie on this?

I dunno, are rings anything like they are in SatAm?

Not yet we're gonna have to wait for like March or April to find out. I'm saying chances are very high that it gets fucked by then though since Riverdale is shitting the bed on the ratings. But then again the CW bleeds money all over the place and doesn't seem to care how low the ratings for their shows are so it might as well get another season. Which is also a negative for the comic because if Riverdale gets more seasons then Archie will give far more focus to their actual properties that stuff like Sonic. So whatever happens, it's pretty fucked tbh.

Nothing new. Archie still hasn't made any official statement regarding the comics. We can see dates for upcoming issues being pushed back through previewsworld, but it's unknown if any are concrete dates. They supposedly have not told any stores when the issues are coming out. Freelancers haven't said anything, but at least a few have claimed to be aware of what is actually going on.

Riverdale likely doesn't mean much of anything outside of general well-being of Archie as a company. This situation seems to be an issue with the Archie/SEGA relationship and that SEGA has told them to halt production.

Why? Did something happen in the last few issues that violates the conditions Sega gave Archie or did they just get sick of Archie and want to get rid of the comic all together?

You have no idea what you're talking about

Please don't start something. Let this moron live in his own little world.

I played on PC too it was alright

Yes. Sega never really liked it and they feel it just fucked up the American fandom even more.

In a way, I can believe this, but to an extent. Even with all the fanart and fanfics that get spread around throughout the fandom, the comic is still a vague mystery to a lot of people who are only interested in the games. SEGA is just being spiteful towards something that they didn't create that a niche part of the fandom happens to enjoy.

It's actually a pretty well sold comic. And characters like Scourge and the Freedom Fighters appear all over the please in fanworks. So like, even if most people don't actually read it it still influenced the fandom. And often in more negative ways that positive.

I think Sega is actually pretty okay with them ever since the reboot but like, it's still kind of complicated because Archie keeps getting in trouble. I think some other guy that is not Penders is suing them again.

I'd be more inclined to believe the latter. Especially with SEGA being dragged into a lawsuit with another ex comic writer.

There was supposedly rumors right before the subscriptions being gone came to light that Japan was supposedly strong-arming the franchise and that Archie Sonic is a casualty.

That said, everything is speculation and I don't know if there will ever be a clear answer to what is happening right now.

Does that mean they might might make a manga with the license? I'd definitely read that.

Well manga based on Videogames doesn't do that well. And usually it's more like they appear for like a few months on some magazine. Sonic has appeared like that in several magazines over the years. But not like anything serialized you know, like with story arcs and stuff. Besides it would be pretty weird making a manga knowing that most of their customer base doesn't know japanese anyway and rarely is manga made for audiences outside of Japan. Hell I don't think there ever has been a manga more marketed towards non-japanese audiences even if it sells better outside of Japan. Though if they don't get someone else to take the license they might give it a try. And the way I understand it Archie is the one that pays Sega to make the comics anyway, so it's not like Sega is desperate to get someone else to take it. Who knows, maybe they'll make more stuff like those Sonic Channel strips, but I doubt it.

That's too bad. I think a Sonic manga could work as an ongoing shonen but only the Americans, Brits, and Latin Americans would read it.

I think sonic as a franchise needs a hard reboot, not bullshit by committee like boom was but an actual clean slate and back to basics

They basically need someone to do for sonic what alan moore did for miracle man

It can work. Manta is not just for young adults or grown up. There's a lot of children manga that's pretty successful worldwide so Sonic manga is not an impossibility. Hell, I prefer the mangafication of this series rather than letting Archie grubby paws on it