So, I heard there there was a "BattleTech" cartoon

How good was it? Is it a good introduction into the series? Tell me about it.

Wasn't that show a cut up of three different shows, one of them being macross?

That's Robotech.

Oh right, this one's based on the videogame.

As a fan of Battletech in general, the series is as hilarious as a saturday morning cartoon is wont to be and while it doesnt explore much the differences between Clan and Inner Sphere culture, it damn well starts with one misunderstanding only a BT nerd would understand :V

Does it hold up.

From what I remember, all the actual fights were in horrible cgi like OP's pic. Not much better than wireframe. They could have used machinima from the games of the time and it would have worked better.

It was better than the Heavy Gear cartoon only in the way that being raped by a dog is better than being raped by a horse.

OP, I…

Heavy Gear?

Come on, spit it out

I watched it recently with no prior knowledge of it and thought it was everything a 90s cartoon should be. The cheesy 90s banter between the characters on its own is practically worth the price of admission on its own and the writing other than that isn't bad ether. The clans come in and pretty much win every fight against the IS and the main cast lose a good number of their own mechs along the way. The cheesy and awful CGI is really more of a "so bad its good" type of thing in my honest opinion as the clanners say "activate enhanced imaging!" and their tattoos glow and suddenly bad 90s CG. This is even funnier when the IS guys get that technology and kinda break the fourth wall when they "see" the "enhanced imaging" CG for the first time

Overall I thought it was breddy good. Why was there no second season?

The toys probably didn't sell.

Don't the toys predate the cartoon?
By a LOT?

Didn't the Robotech models also included stuff from Macross that Harmony Gold threw a tizzy even though Macross was like 11 years ago (and really, Harmony Gold did jack squat with Robotech afterwards, not even a Robotech Plus or Robotech 7. Granted, Macross went downhill after 7 but still..)

Isn't that why Mechwarrior 5 got cancelled? Because someone left in a legacy design from back when Mechwarrior was Battletech, and Battletech was the tabletop game of Robotech, and a Macross mecha had somehow snuck through from the primordial past and brought the whole project crashing down?

Wait, that's what happened? Damn..and to think that Battletech came about because of series like Macross and Dougram.

Robotech is just 3 different mecha animes Harmony Gold altered the stories in the dubbing on to make them interconnected, because there was a certain number of episodes they needed to hit to receive television syndication. Macross being the most famous one.

Mechwarrior is the name used for the tabletop RPG and video games, but it's Battletech in the same way that Space Marine is Warhammer 40k.

Battletech also licensed some of the Macross designs, so in a fit of of retardation/IP law fuckery Harmony Gold sued them, because obviously they own the visuals to something they didn't actually create. And the suffix -tech.

Battletech decided it wasn't worth this bullshit, so they dropped everything that wasn't created in house, causing Mechwarrior 5 to get the axe because it contained some of the Macross designs.

Macross/Robotech/Battletech/Mechwarrior is a copyright and lawsuit saga the equal of Shazam/Superman/Marvelman/Marr-vell/Miracleman/Masked Marvel/Man Of Miracles.

In other words..Harmony Gold is just being a dick (and really, they didn't do much to Macross but they did somehow made Southern Cross watchable)

Sad to here about the franchise going through all the legal bullshit. Oh well, look at it this way, MechWarrior Online exists and there's a new upcoming single-player MechWarrior game in production.

There was a BattleTech cartoon?

Mechwarrior: Living Legends is back as well, thanks to the fans.
And it isn't as PAY2WIN as MW Online.

It's still PVP but since they have tanks, hovercraft, turrets, battle armour and aerospace fighters it feels a bit more like an actual war.

I remember my big brother having some kind of Battletech game, in the 80s, that had a picture on the cover of a mech with a skull head. I don't know if it was an RPG or a strategy/battle sim game.
Does anybody know what version/edition of the game this was?

That's be an Atlas, they're the big ones with the skull head.
Lol, all the way from playing the tabletop game in the 90's to the old PC games to the new Online and Living Legends, every time an Atlas shows up, there's a chorus of OH SHIT!

Man, those steiner scout lances are terrifying

This was some kind of tabletop game. The only iteration I ever played was the VR arcade game where you pilot a mech against a bunch of others.

Past the first episodes? Eh not really. you can see for yourself.

To carry on about why Harmony Gold caused the cancellation of MechWarrior 5, it probably also had to do with the company wanting to release those Robotech games around the same time. MechWarrior 4's final expansion pack was released the same year as Robotech: Battlecry and Robotech: The Macross Saga.

I think the faggots that made MWO did that, they also tried to kill MWLL a mod, but it got revived.
There is a turn based mech game in fucking kickstarter, so there is a big change its going to suck.

Same fucking people who did the mw5 trailer are the guys behind MWO. Mw5 never got made for a bunch of reasons, the biggest one being no one wanted to pick it up and help pay for it. Hence a free 2 play crowdfunded mechwarrior online. Going beyond that giant robot games in that fashion just wasn't seen as a worthwhile investment by publishers. Why would it be? The Battletech ip has been ran into the ground thanks to the DarkAges.

The cartoon is a 90's cartoon meant to be part of a larger marketing campaign that never ended up off the ground thanks to Harmony Gold's bullshit. Harmony gold is a ran in of itself but needless to say it took over a fucking decade to actually have the 'unseen' mechs placed back in the game/tabletop models.

The Battletech cartoon is a neat little piece of what could have been. It's worth a watch for that alone. Vid related

Sorry for the mess of words Harmony gold puts me in a blind rage.