Champions #5 Storytime

Hello Anons, as we all know, the Champions are the hottest new superhero team in the Marvel universe. In this most recent issue we get to see our diverse team of role-models battle the most insidious of evils: Bigotry!

Also guest starring Moon Man and some chick who thinks she's Deadpool!

Anyway, our story starts with a Mosque on fire and a rural sheriff who wants to watch it burn. No prizes for guessing what sort of character he'll play in this upcoming narrative.

Luckily for the local Muslim population though, the Champions step in to save the day and tell Sheriff Studdard that he's racist. Not that he gives a shit as he's busy accusing the token mutant of being the arsonist.

The Champions counter that hate crime has skyrocketed since he revived his position and reveal that whoever set fire to the Mosque was using a bomb that the local cops apparently had lying around.

Then Gwenpool decides to make everything better by blowing things up. How quirky!

Who wrote this dreck?

Despite having just witnessed our pink crime-fighter play domestic terrorist just outside a building that was fire-bombed the Champions decide to rescue her because fuck cops and Ms Marvel tries to convince her that "S.S" Studdard is just a racist cop and not some sort of comically evil super-villain or a poorly written strawman.

However… It seems Vision Girl thinks Gwenpool is on to something…

So we cut to a montage of hate crimes and it turns out that "Execute the X-Men" Studdard is well liked for his race warring if what people are chanting is correct.

Also it turns out that what was in the air was Hate, not some mind control chemical. This really is all just because one cop is racist and apparently no-one has been able to call him out.

Gwenpool sticks with her "Supervillian" theory because apparently the idea that "If it ain't white it ain't right" Studdard is a one dimensional strawman is far too morally grey for someone who lived in the real world.

Also it turns out that everyone in the local community loves Studdard and thus the one non-racist cop in Daly County is completely unable to do much more than shrug his shoulders as "Whack a Wakandan" Studdard carries out his genocidal crusade.

That is of course until Studdard tells good cop to get those ethnic minorities off his roof so he can go back to reading Mein Kampf which causes our token good cop to tell the crowd of Race War supporters that Studdard is a racist.

Shit like this is why all sandniggers need to hang? Anyone ever hear the old Italian folktale called The Moor's Bones? Shame we don't have storytellers who respect their culture anymore.

Isn't Cyclops a faggot now or something? Shouldn't he be wise to the problem of allowing sandniggers into his country?

The Champions decide they need to stop the imminent lynching of the entire non-racist population of Daly and Ms. Marvel reminds them of their rallying cry "Don't Punch Down!" Not sure what that has to do with stopping an angry mob but whatever. Gwenpool goes to kill whatever supervillian is behind all this and the issue ends.

Alternate young Cyclops is officially worse than his older counterpart simply for being a part of this shit instead of staying in space with his dad.

Shit wasn't worth the paper it was printed on or the bandwidth it traveled on. Thanks for the storytime, though, Op.

They aren't gonna ruin Gwenpool, are they?
I think they probably will.

I don't it's possible to ruin what was never good, so no.

has a point. Gwenpool's books if kinda fun and okay but it's nothing amazing. Gwenpool as a character is stupid and completely pointless.

They forgot what analogies are. If they wanted to do it right they could have used Inhumans as muzzies, or have set it on an alien planet, instead they made their team of Mary Sues beat up the people they personally don't like in the real world.

SoniChu tier story, tbh.

This is something that happens somewhat frequently in cape comics. Somewhere along the line somebody thinks that superheroes are a great place to talk about the complex issues facing our world. This, of course, is ridiculous, since capes are probably the most immature way to address these problems, since, as you've pointed out, their solution is usually just to beat up people until they conform.

For all of Waid's ridicule of Gwenpool's simplistic viewpoints, having a villain like HATE-MONGER is a far better way to express the evils of racism than reducing a rural town's population into mustache twirling bad guys.

Only works in certain situations.

Wow I think this literally shortened the lifespan of the universe. Like this comic alone made our sun age by 1000 years.

Who wrote this shit?

Wait, wasn't this written before the mosque burning incident? What, will the next issue support the Berkely riots?

It is all planned ahead. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

This artists drawing of gwenpool looks atrocious, as does everything else.

Everyone knows the people at marvel are cis white beta males trying to get brownie points. They wouldn't have a clue what's good for the people they try to represent.

You're thinking of Iceman. Made gay despite having dated several women over the years.

Mark Waid

It was Mark Waid

why do those tweets in #4 read like marketing screed?

Because it's marketing screed. make sure to add Champions to your pull list today!

Thanks for the read OP

This week's issue was bland and boring. It also didn't have Gurihiru doing the art, so there's not even that much to enjoy.

There is no reason for the art to look so bad.

T-thanks OP.

When you're a superhero, unless you're a shitty mutant at peak hysteria, how fucking narcissistic do you have to be to consider yourself underprivileged enough for it to be punching up to attack a group of completely ordinary people?

This fucking comic gave me cancer.

Someone named 'Myisha Haynes' is credited as the artist (meaning they probably handled both pencils and inking).

I think the name alone really says all you need to know.

But the Inhumans are responsible for the mutants dying off due to the terrigen mist they released that kills mutants. Actually, that could work since muslims hate gays and jews so its one minority killing another.

So her art is like a shitty imitation of Gurihuri's?

THAT FACE IN THE LAST PANEL NEEDS TO BE A REACTION IMAGE.

You're a mean one, Mrs. Poole.

I usually have a soft spot for super heroes learning that they can't punch all their problems away type of stores, but this is just garbage. The main plot makes no sense in the world were shown. We got a strawman sheriff that apparently has the backing of all this small town, that just so happens to also be diverse enough to a mosque, a temple, and a LGBTBBQ center, but none of these groups can speak out against him. You know how passive jews and gays are, they wouldn't speak up. There's no actual resolution. And no fallout of Gwenpool bombing the cops and the Champions helping her escape. The last thing we see our heroes doing is charging into a crowd of peaceful protesters.

To make things worse, the protest doesn't even make sense, read the signs in the third pic here . This is a mob of people apparently protesting that the hate-crime sheriff isn't doing enough to attack minorities in his area. Either that or they think the police are gay immigrants.

And since there was no scandal from the mosque fire it seems like it is completely normal for this small town police station to have a crowd of people outside of it complaining that the cops are down on their dead black kid quota. Keeping all this in mind I'm really wondering how exactly getting one guy fired is going to change a town which seems to believe a day without committing a hate crime is a day wasted.

I hate it already

They're are going to start attacking one another.

Wait since when was there a gas that could kill them off?

That was terrible, thanks though.

Since Black Bolt went full retard for no reason and did something that released the Terrigan Mist on Earth in a event i cannot remember the name (AXIS maybe?). Not only are mutant being literally gassed to death but Inhuman die or suffer enormously if they are exposed to it a second time, i think it's also bad for human since most people exposed to it become horribly mutated and don't gain superpowers.

Oh and Marvel portray them as the good guys in IvX

well that was shit.
why is everyone out of character.
why is Ramos' art worse than usual
And they literally are criminals.

oh god, that arts awful

fuck that shit

Why is Ronnie only wearing half of her glasses in the bottom of the third page?

Could be worse

I think the event was either Infinity or Inhumanity. All I remember was Thanos trying to get his bastard son back from the Inhumans.

Also, this issue really shows the dangers of letting others use Gwen Poole. If you're going to have her, the result should be that there was a super-villain involved. You don't use a character meant to highlight the absurdity of comics to show how serious and grounded in reality your comic is. And what is wrong with the artist? Is he just phoning it in? Gwen's lips and smile make her look like a middle-aged woman.

Mark Waid should be writing for PBS cartoons or my first reader type books with this beyond dumbed-down storytelling. This is like when Maximum Ride decided to pause in the middle of the book to deliver a Captain Planet-esque diatribe about climate change and the importance of people (especially young people) fighting it. It's like Mark Waid had some attack of conscience one day, and decided he had to "make a difference". But of course he's overcompensating and will burn out because for all his talk about not being able to punch your social ills away, he's doing the rhetorical equivalent of assaulting someone until they cave.

Man that detail has aged horribly. Now a civilian in the real world can get a flying drone with a thermal camera and do that with no difficulty beyond flying the drone.

Pretty much and it was 100% brought on by twitter. He's just trying to show how he's one of the good ones. Waid's always been a bit of an asshole, but his virtue signalling takes it to a whole different level. I hope he's killed by nigs.

The issue isn't so bad. So I'm okay with it

Shows that County people suck

Wrong website, 4chan is more your style.

Mark please go

Contracts are a bitch