/dgg/ - DeGoogle General

Friendly reminder that if you're a person who respects their individual privacy and freedom, there is no reason to be using the products created by the botnet that is the Google company.

There is a plethora of options available for you to replace your Google apps that are lighter, faster and better in general, including respect for freedom and privacy.

SearX, DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Yandex (Soviet Botnet)
Pale Moon, Waterfox, Brave, Vivaldi
Self Host, cock.li, Proton Mail, Hotmail (Still Botnet) Yandex (Soviet Botnet)
Syncthing, ownCloud, Nextcloud
app store?
F-Droid, Yalp for Play Store front end
NewPipe for mobile, not signing in on desktop
XMPP, Signal.
Nextcloud, ownCloud, RadiCAL,
NextCloud, keep it in your emails.
RSS client, Librenews

List of Software you can Self-Host
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

NextCloud Providers
nextcloud.com/providers/

OwnCloud Providers,
owncloud.org/providers/

WebMail Comparison
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/3IZSX
trisquel.info/en/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/
waterfoxproject.org/
vid.me/00d9u
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility2/
opensource.org/faq#free-software
blog.qutebrowser.org/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/inox
8ch.net/tech/ddg.html
hooktube.com/
freetranslation.com/
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
pdf-archive.com/2018/01/09/368688363-james-damore-vs-google-class-action-lawsuit/368688363-james-damore-vs-google-class-action-lawsuit.pdf
leavegooglebehind.com/
leavegooglebehind.com/how-tos/how-to-eradicate-google-from-firefox/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
chiru.no/a/search/
chiru.no/a/search/?search=$(shuf
chiru.no/a/mail/
chiru.no/a/mail/?source
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kys

The whole point of GNU Icecat is to subvert the telemetry/nonfree/privacy-violating things in Firefox while remaining as similar to the source as possible. The fact that you dismiss all Firefox forks as though they are just inherently comprimised without any grasp for what the point of the project is just shows your ignorance.

Also, the article you cite is totally misleading. Mozilla's "war" on fake news is easily one of the least concerning things Firefox has ever done. If you're making an infograph on secure browsers, you could have easily cited articles talking about Mozilla's telemetry and much more discernable, technical bullshit, not to mention pretty much everything gHacks as ever covered on Firefox. So, even on the needlessy paranoid front, your list still manages to suck more than it ever should.

Also, Uzbl is a webkit browser, not a text browser. So it just shows us that you clearly have never used all of the browsers you're shit talking here.

And you didn't even mention Dooble, a project that is incredibly vocal about making their browser both free and privacy-protecting.

So here you are, needlessly mentioning all these proprietary, blatantly malicious browsers that no one would have known about anyway, but you aren't even willing to acknowledge free projects that are actually making a concerted effort to do something good for the World. That would easily fit your criteria of what a good, safe browser could be.

What is wrong with you?

To be fair, Brave is actually open-sores.

That's nice to know, when did this happen?

I don't think it was ever proprietary, although I can understand how you were probably swayed by the rumors and misinformation--all of which probably stemmed from their business model, which, admittedly, reeks of the musk of venture capitalists and startup culture; but the software in itself is licensed under MPL, just like Firefox. But it's built on Blink.

I'm not trying to justify Brave, here. Just stating facts.

So you would rather use a proprietary browser than a free browser just because you don't agree with their agenda? And how does that make it more secure?

You're on Holla Forums , don't expect too much rational thinking .

this is bait

Bad infograph. You shouldn't recommend proprietary software, unless there is no FLOSS alternative at all, such as Youtube. I haven't used Youtube at all for 6 about years.

Very good post. The Google analytics hidden in the addons page is way worse than virtue signalling.

Why shouldn't we trust GNU/Icecat?

Most of this is good advice, except for:

Syncthing is a bit of a battery hog on android. Not unusably so, but something to be aware of. Also, Owncloud and Nextcloud's android clients do not allow the user to sync arbitrary folders, aside from photos in DCIM. You can manually upload/download files and folders outside of DCIM, but there's no way to do it automatically.

And speaking of Nextcloud... screw Nextcloud. They fucked over a lot of people on residential connections with their cute little stunt a few months back, all that "sending warning letters to ISP abuse deparments about home users running old versions" bullshit. archive.fo/3IZSX

Chromium isn't libre, that's why it isn't in the trisquel repository.
trisquel.info/en/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob

find .mozilla -type f -perm /100 -ls

That's some disgustingly inaccurate graph you have in here, kid.

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/

Checked and agree on the fact that OP is a dumb illiterate faggot.
It's quite clear to me that this post has been made by a mongrel Holla Forumsack following the degoogle meme and not from anyone near being a tech savvy.

>The fact that you dismiss all Firefox forks
I don't understand where you got the idea that he was dissmising all firefox forks.

Every other Firefox fork has a huge, red asterisk next to it. Pale Moon, while you're technically true, isn't really a Firefox fork in the same way that a browser like Waterfox is, since it was forked from a waaay older version, and it's deviated so far from its source it's really become its own, independent project and thus not affected by the actions of Mozilla in the way other forks are.

I am not saying it cannot be trusted, OP's picture is saying that.

A fork is a fork regardless of whether it happened recently or many years ago. A fork is always an independent project because changes generally do not return upstream.

You're right. I think calling those other browsers forks was misleading, because those projects can and do in fact still have the capacity to exchange code between each other and are pretty much cross-compatible as a result. The main difference, really, for most of these browsers is mostly ideological, but they still rely heavily on upstream.

So they aren't really forks. They aren't even independent projects in the way that Pale Moon is. So there's a difference between those Firefox-based browsers and Pale Moon.

Here are a list of forks from Firefox:
Waterfox
Iceweasel
Icecat
Torbrowser
Swiftfox
Palemoon

It doesn't matter if these projects contribute nothing to Firefox, they are independent of Mozilla and of Firefox. What makes them forks is that they are all derived from Firefox.

Heh

Goddamnit, I'm trying to agree with you. You know what I mean.

is SeaMonkey a viable option? it's the only other browser than Firefox I've used that I actually like and doesn't feel broken/shitty, despite looking old.

If you like it, then use it. It works, so why not? You might want to consider using SeaMonkey for all of its potential, though, and not just as a browser.

What I mean is that SeaMonkey is also a viable eMail client, RSS reader, IRC client, etc. . Basically, it's a lot of things. If you aren't going to use those, then maybe it's not worth using for the space and resources it consumes.

YouTube is FLOSS since it requires no proprietary software to watch. They run proprietary software, but that's their loss.
torsocks -i youtube-dl -o - | mpv -

You're wrong.
I don't remember the details, but there was something regarding proprietary JS to watch/download from YouTube.

but what has the redshield done to ff?

It just parsed it, not executed it, it's for the "protected videos".

Hey all, I am currently using Comodo Dragon as my main browser however It is ranked pretty low on tier list infographics such as the one in the OP, could anyone please explain to my -why- Comodo Dragon is bad? I have been using it for awhile now so I could be free from Google's Telemetry which is what Comodo advertises it as doing, so it seems to me like Comodo Dragon is chrome but without google connections and spying in it.

I wonder why. Spying is spying, no matter who's doing it. Comodo Dragon is even worse with it than Google and that's something to behold. Not to mention that they are lying and use Google Analytics anyways, spiced up with their own and their (((partners))) spyware. One of the worst browsers. Also obviously, it's proprietary, which should be a good enough reason by itself to stop using it.

Most free browsers are shit, Vivaldi works great although some bugs in Linux
Funny since a decent amount of anons liked Opera before 12.8(?)cant remember, yet something similar comes out, but because they won't give out the full source its automatically shit. don't get me wrong, I prefer open source programs over proprietary and encourage people to do it, but saying no good proprietary programs exist is lying to themselves.

Nah. DRM, Pocket, and telemetry stuff is removed. Basically a straight FF clone, without the bits of botnet. Found right on the front page waterfoxproject.org/

nobody is saying all proprietary programs are bad, just that you can never actually know if they are BECAUSE they're proprietary.

actually a lot of people do say that

Who mad this graphic?

Wrong

Whatcha slidin, chaim?

literally who?

links/w3m are the real way to go.

They are very hard to use, I don't use them myself, but that's the only way.
I mean, even alternatives like surf or uzbl use webkit, and webkit is a big clusterfuck, the same shit than firefox. In fact, a lot of little web browser are actually built upon webkit/firefox.

I must be the only one here, but I'm using right now conkeror, with the palemoon backend.

Using Waterfox from sometime...Im curious about Dooble and Qupzilla. How are these browsers?

How do I install Ft deep dark, or similar in Icecat. It is the only thing remaining for my setup. Can I rice Icecat any other way?

Trying Qupzilla for the first time. Very nice, but have some problems, like barely no plugins, and cant make somethings work, like DTube (Videos dont work) and the JavaScript settings are only yes/no to use it. Also, unlike many Firefox forks, it doesnt have a about:config menu (unless it have it hidden). Any help/recommendation with qupzilla would be nice. So please help.

uzbl is a webkit wrapper, the fuck is that shit meme

This thread is informative, just because your AdWord salary is about to dry up doesn't give you a right to be salty. Stay mad.

I use youtube with adblock. And chromium. I'm not giving up either. Google isn't getting anything out of me either way.

I ended up editing the .xpi to make it compatible with icecat.

Remember to get your normie friends on google.

vid.me/00d9u

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility2/

I've switched to using RSS + youtube-dl to keep track of my subscriptions and their videos without having to use anything from Google aside from their videos themselves.

Anyone have any better recommendations for an online RSS reader that I can log into and keep in sync with all my stuff? I'm using Feedly right now but if I want more than 100 sources I need to pay.

What do I do, Holla Forums? I have no less than FOUR fucking browsers on my laptop, but I see no way to consolidate
Used for IPFS compatibility, especially with that IPFS addon that's really nice.
General web browsing.
A lot of websites required for my university fuck up with all of my autism extensions sometimes, so I use it for that.
For when no other browsers will work but I am required to view a page for school (non YouTube videos such as recorded lectures will sometimes require this)

It pisses me off. I just want to have ONE browser. Why is that so hard?

I can't seem to find legit info on Dooble. The sourceforge website and subsequent links throw all sorts of red flags and I can't seem to find a readme or release notes the link for the most recent release notes 404s. Would you mind sharing a link with more information on the browser?

Pale moon blocked the necessary adnauseum extension, it clicks on ads before you block them, fucking up Googles revenue and their botnet.
Pale moon blocked it, avoid it.

Eich got fired from mozzila for donating to an anti gay marriage organization.
He literally got fucked by the Jewish establishment.

Just posted this in the tech questions thread as well:

Can someone tell me how to add Yandex as a search engine in Firefox? I can't seem to find an add on that works.

Wow I wish I had found your post before I made my own shitty list. Its based on a pretty basic surface research and influenced by political view, but people kept asking on other boards after this topic came up and nobody answered them, so I wanted to give them a basic direction.
I am still debating if I shouldn't just put the Multi Engine Weirdness Tier in the Other Proprietary Botnet Tier, but I don't have enough information about them.

Dooble, uzbl, surf use webkit.
Conkeror can be used with palemoon.
QupZilla is based on qtwebengine, based no webkit.
luakit based on webkit.
Netsurf actually have its own layout engine.
Midori is based on webkit.
Otter based on webkit.
K-melon based on gecko.
konkeror based on gecko.
kekonq based on qtwebengine (webkit).

Is webkite even trustable...

No, actually, it is based on KHTML, which was then forked to become Webkit iirc.

You're right, my bad.

autism

Holy fuck I hate these fucking faggot screaming "autism!" at people trying to find a fucking solution. What are you even doing on 8ch, that's pretty "autistic" if you definition of autistic means mainstream and propaganda accepted.

autism

Nah I just had fun looking at everything the browser market had to offer and put it in a basic list, if I wanted autism I would have written a short description and history of every single browser.
And I learned some stuff, for example Opera is now owned by the same Chinese who make the 360 Security Browser.

Qtwebengine is based on blink, not webkit. And qutebrowser supports both Qtwebengine and Qtwebkit.

QtWebEngine is based on Chromium, not just Blink (it also uses e.g. Chromium's network stack, V8, etc.). Also, Otter Browser can also use QtWebEngine instead of QtWebKit, though many features aren't supported and the dev kind of abandoned QtWebEngine.

Why is qutebrowser in "Deeply Goncerned Tier", but other comparable projects like Otter/Qupzilla/Dooble/... (based on QtWebKit/QtWebEngine too, mostly one single developer too) are not?

Wait for fiber

Vivaldi is based off Blink, not Chromium. Chromium is its own subset of cancer.

I use Vivaldi, although I am on Win7 with most of my shit replaced by FLOSS alternatives. (don't blame me for not running Leenux, blame my hardware)

In all these engines, what is trustable?
qtwebkit, qtwebengine (replacement of qtwebkit), webkit (apple), gecko (mozilla), webkitgtk, blink (google), goanna (palemoon's fork) etc...

Is it the soft around these engine that are in cause or are these engines the problem?
I mean, open source doesn't mean libre.

I feel that I should be for little custom rendering engine... With some kind of backup browser with the mainstream engine for when you truly need the javascript.

Actually, almost all of the time, it does. There are very few software licenses that are one but not the other. The difference is almost entirely one of philosophy.

If the soft send information to google, it still open source...
So no, it doesn't mean shit.

It would still be free software too. Free software just means it follows the four freedoms. Which means that you can find the phoning home in the source code, for example. Literally, free software and open source are almost exactly the same thing:
opensource.org/faq#free-software
I prefer the term free software because, as the FSF says, "open" is a weaker statement than "free."

Then let's not talk about free software, but software that don't sell my ass.
But the question remain the same; are these engines trustable? Is webkit trustable when you know that it's apple whose dev it?

From what I found its made by a swiss guy as a side project and he ran a kikestarter to finance it.
Considering the history of kikestarter projects concern is justified.

You have a point I will change that in future lists, but still the people behind it already drove their previous browser against the wall.

Short answer to a complex question: no
Hence why it is important to find projects by trustable people that act as lookout for anything fishy and work as a canary in the coalmine for you.
Also the further away a fork evolves from the original the more resistant it becomes against introductions of new malicious shit by these companies.

He's very dedicated to it. He did two crowdfunding campaigns (in two years) so he'd be able to work full-time on it in the summer, because he needs to eat and pay rent.
The development all happens out in the open, so the results of the campaigns are easily verifiable (especially the first one because that's completely over). Read about it in the development blog, for example:
blog.qutebrowser.org/
I don't think any of the standard issues with crowdfunding campaigns apply here. He delivered and it's all very visible.

The developer posts here sometimes, and he cares about privacy and security. qutebrowser is completely free of anti-features, and there's no indication that will change. I can vouch for qutebrowser. It probably belongs in your Minimalist Tier.

I put tails on a USB drive just like you neckbeards said, but every time I try to connect to my wifi with it, it disconnects itself, and every other computer on my network until I turn off wifi in Tails. The same computer works fine if I connect in Windows 7.

What do?

neither are trustable. they literally all have critical vulns disclosed every week

neither are trustable. they literally all have critical vulns disclosed every week

Install Gentoo.

Well, then, what's your suggestion? Something constructive would be nice.

Seconding on more Dooble info. I haven't really seen much about it. Is there a link you can share on it?

Those crowdfundings were for some big features, with >3 years of maintaince and development outside of crowdfundings - while e.g. uzbl just was dead for months (but is finally somewhat active in its 'next' branch again)

Is it even possible to install Icecat on windows?
As of late I'm hopping between browsers trying to find a suitable one to stay into but with all these threads I'm starting to get vertigo, everyone recommends everything while saying everything else sucks.
Not that I complain, it's better to have this than "You need to try our Brand™ Of™ Browser™ That™ Everyone™ Loves™!™" in an Orwellian sort of way.

I don't know why mod don't automatically ban every windows user from here. It needs to be some kind of user-agent autoban or something.
Why in the hell do you want to install icecat if in the first place, you're on fucking windows?
Don't you understand how it doesn't make the slighest sense? Stop shitting on threads.
I think I should just ignore such fucktard. I'm falling for the bait.

Back to this thread, the question remain the same:
In all these engines, what is trustable?
qtwebkit, qtwebengine (replacement of qtwebkit), webkit (apple), gecko (mozilla), webkitgtk, blink (google), goanna (palemoon's fork) etc...

If none of them is, what is the solution?

It doesn't matter what browser you use, it matters how it interacts with the internet.

Don't be a memetard.

Plenty of people on GNU/Linux use a Windows user agent in order to better blend in to the crowd, myself included.

Tell people to use Firefox Focus on Android if you want to fuck over Jewgle.

FFF blocks ads automatically.

what's so bad about w3m?

Well at least you put brave in the right catagory. People have seemed to be overly supportive of it lately.

Absolutly nothing, don't listen when some says "autism" or "out of society" and stuff.
It's people who can't handle these tools that make these comments.
It's hard to use text browser today, especially when you're a millenium, and only know about internet 2.0.
But if you're serious, I think that links, w3m etc.. are the way to go.

I know this has kind of turned into a browser thread (as tends to pop up around here) but I would like to ask after email. Does anyone know anything about Kolab? Apparently they run entirely free software and are hosted in Switzerland. Things aren't entirely encrypted by default like Protonmail, but this does mean you can use your own email client. I'm not sure what to make of them and am wondering if anybody has had any experience with their service.

How do I do this? Also, wasn't cock.li compromised?

cock.li hosting has been moved to Romania iirc, which is where VC himself is. It was seized when he was hosting in Germany, because, you know, Germoney. As far as I know, things are good now, though you should always be encrypting your email anyway. As far as self hosting, I believe mail in a box is probably the easiest solution to set up, if you know what you're doing.

Because you learn step by step.

Yeah how do you self-host your email?

See
Mail in a Box has a tutorial video I believe.

Anyone? Also, sometimes the pages I load give a load error, althought it goes normal when restarting/going back. And a minor thing but that grinds my gears is that Qupzilla doesnt keep the website zoom I give to a site, it always go back to the default level of zoom. I dont want to always read things too small! Could someone help me, please?

You can host your own email server?

Can mode ban people changing subject? It's a thread about Web browser, about about emails. There is another one about emails.

We were talking about engines to trust. And what about text browser security.

Is anyone here using text browsers like links, w3m? Are they that secure to use? The ultimate solution?
Is webkit, developed by Apple trustable, and so all the little browser built on it?

George Soros partnering with Firefox is fake, you fell for the google propaganda. Pale Moon should have a star next to it for blocking AdNauseam, not firefox.

It doesn't make sense, since we're certainly not go for proprietary browser. We're all going to chose "niche" browser that is only going to make free browser development more healthy and active.

About Palemoon, I thought they blocked it because they have ad revenue, but no, they literaly make a moral choice for all of us. This is definitively the most ridicule thing I've ever seen. That's not a faggot furrie who's gonna do any moral choice for me.

Because of false positives, because it's just impossible, and most of all because enforcing the Loonix circlejerk even more isn't going to improve the board.

No, this thread is just as much about email as it is about browsers. Please look at the OP.

You're right, my bad. I was too focus on the talking.
I don't want to enforce any linux circlejerk. But windows user have to go. They are just making us lose our time. I'm not talking about exploitation of exploit obv.

READ THE FUCKING THREAD IT'S RIGHT ABOVE YOU FUCKING HELL

aur.archlinux.org/packages/inox

8ch.net/tech/ddg.html
DuckDuckGo just claim they don't track you while using it, and it's US based, government can do anything they want with it...

Goddammit Stallman, stop adding so many addons.

Install Heads, instead.

FF Klar >> FF Focus.

hooktube.com/

what the fuck?

Fuck off.

hooknosetube amirite

Hooktube is an excellent service. Just discovered it the other day and started using it. Works well. I just wish there was an option to run it without javascript or have a webm with at least 720p resolution.

no

palememe is literally shit tho. it's only good compared to these other bullshit browsers

Anything is better compared to modern web browsers.

Just checked the Hooktube FAQ:

The goal is to use hooktube to search for videos.
I already have youtube-dl or even streamlink to look at youtube videos.
And I can't browse anything without javascript. So it's useless for me. Now, maybe the javascript is not harming, but I'm not good enough in javascript to go study the source code.

Your two greentexts directly contradict each other, what the fuck are you going on about?

What about SMTube? Does that work for your needs?

I use mpsyt.

Iridium should be moved to Botnet, and Waterfox should be God tier. Fucking christ this isn't hard, people.

I can't get over the M.C. Escher USB drive Tails uses as a logo it fucks me up everytime.

Took me a while to see it, and now I can't unsee.
It's clearly not the way the logo was intended, though.

w3m
>stupid webnovel MTL fag has annoying 'watermarks' in the story? open rendered webpage in HTML and edit them out

No so good as people say. There are a lot of FREE messengers like Tox, Bitmessage.
ORLY? It nice browser but it still Chromopera.
Yep. Yandex=FSB. And Duckduckgo is a partner of Yandex.

Here's a question: Can I get past the sad panda in any browsers other than chrome and firefox?

No, because the design for logging in is almost entirely serverside, with your computer basically being used as a relay.
The way it basically works is:
The only thing your browser actually does is hold a cookie which contains info for your forum account, that the porn site then grabs and sends back to the mothership for verification.
Honestly, I just prefer to stick with booru sites for getting my wank on.

he meant Yes. you just need to log in to the g.e forum. just delete all g.e/exh cookies, start with a fresh slate, log in, then go to exh

Some weeks back I decided to re-visit gahnoo icecat. Wondered why the fuck is it slow to load. Open the addons page, and saw that shit. Ok not a huge deal I can at least disable it and if they have ublock origin that's 80% of my total addon right there anyway.
I swear to fuck sometimes stallmanites are their own worst enemies.

I meant no, but I thought he was asking if he could bypass it completely with another browser. That's what I get for only sleeping a few hours a night.
The meat of my post was just that all browsers will do the exact same thing when confronted with that site.

Is there a program out there that scrapes Youtube URLs? I don't want to use web pages, like Hooktube. I just want the URLs so I can play the vid using mpv --ytdl.

Yeah, it's called youtube-dl

youtube-dl downloads videos/allows mpv to play them, when given a URL. What he's asking for is something that allows him to easily search for videos and get URLs without having to use a browser.

mps-youtube
let's you youtube from the command line. I've been using it for about a year.
pip3 install youtube-dlpip3 install mps-youtube

Boom. You're done.

What's some ok alternative to their translate?

Now THIS is something i'd like to know

It works fine with Tor, but you need JS. Yandex translate works fine for Russian, and acceptably for Chinese.

Alright neckbeards, I know you never leave your home past your lawn and cornershop that sells pringles, but can someone give me an advise on mapping software for Linux and Android and where to download maps from?

openstreetmap. but if you want navigation, you are fucked.

OSM is a map provider, they don't make standalone software. I think, you still can download raw google, yandex and bing maps somewhat freely, but you need software to display them. I do remember a bunch of navigation softwares for CarPCs from 10 years ago. How's the situation today?

for mobile: maps.me and osmand

You can use OSM with marble.
That's the best solution I would say.
I'm look forward downloading the whole map, and try to make it pure offline.
I'm looking forward doing the same with wikipedia. No need for any search to appear online anymore.

qupzilla

This is probably the best browser if you're looking for one that has no connection to Firefox or Chromium. You can even make extensions for it, although as of right now you have to recompile the browser to add them.

but it uses qtwebengine, so basicly blink from chromium

Except that QtWebEngine has the Google parts stripped out, and is verified to not open any unexpected connections (especially not to Google).

That's what I mean. No Jewgle botnet. Unfortunately right now, it also lacks a lot of features and extension stuff compared to other browsers (I think the only thing you really get is an adblocker), and is currently in the middle of a change into KDE Falkon. On the plus side, it supports just about every autistic OS you could imagine. If you look on the website, they even make versions for stuff like OS/2 and Haiku.

know a good firewall and antivirus to replace comodo?

Alternatives to the Pixel 2 XL that isn't Apple or Samsung? I like the OLED 1440p Screen though.

I actually enjoy Opera

Nice

can it do nip?

Bump

Been using Brave for a couple weeks now. It's much more polished than it used to be on the desktop. I'll probably start using it as my main because it's so much easier to block scripts and ads without the use of addons.

yep

?

I use it as my main currently. It's getting much better, but still needs some refinement. Mostly making further improvements on the script blocker, and finally getting Vimium support.

Totally fucked up my post.

Been using iridium for the last 30 or so hours with ublock, httpsEverywhere and umatrix. Feels comfier than Opera's weirdness and Firefox's memory leak.
How fucked am I and how do I check if Iridium actually phones home?

Yes I am THAT tech illiterate.

Use ungoogled-chromium, get the extensions from github.

Will try.
But what's the big difference if they are both "chrome-based" and i still don't have proof - or the tools to check - that any of the two actually phone home?

1. Read the project page.
2. Try Wireshark

Danke!

Why though?

As a semi-reformed shitposter, I thank the gentle-man OP who has started me down a path of decoupling from Google.
May long comfy days be ahead.

Kill yourself, SJW kike.

why is Holla Forums run by kikes?

bump browser thread

Whats the best option for Firefox forks as far as addon compatibility is concerned? I'm using Cyberfox right now.

no, use hooktube

To be fair, you *can* whitelist JavaScript selectively if you set this custom Adblock rule:

[code]*$script,domain=~whitelisted.com|~anotherwhitelisteddomain.net|~yetanother.xyz

reddit general

freetranslation.com/

what's with the duckduckgo whitelists on qupzilla's default adblocker? i certainly didn't add them

I've been a lurker here off and on Holla Forums since gamergate, I don't remember if the original mod team has left but early on I remember the BO telling me in a thread where I asked this same question no, he wouldn't ban them for the reasons you guys have said but also because the BO is a windows user. This is of course assuming the BO hasn't changed and that my memory is right so keep that in mind.

Life is suffering

The pic in the OP is terrible. IceCat and PaleMoon both have MANY privacy issues. Actually do the tests. Run a local proxy and see all the requests they make without your knowledge.

Which is better, un-googled chrome or Iridium?

lite.qwant.com
firefox, might switch to netsurf but as it stands I need to be able to login to a webapp to submit assignment at university, I'm going to switch regardless just need to look around.
.edu from university, cock.li
rsync on my own server
n/a
hooktube.com
irc on my own server
n/a
n/a
RSS through a shell script I wrote

shut up faggot

Any phoneposters here use the SnowHaze browser before? Looks pretty nice, it's security/privacy based.

What's wrong with Signal?

Reeeeeeee

install statusbar4evar

I use Naked Browser

Its alright, have some issues on certain sites though that is a no go for me

Check your package manager. It's even in the Gentoo's repository.

Why is icecat in god-tier when every other firefox fork is down in placebo tier?

Takes out the nonfree blobs, adds anti-fingerprinting with librejs
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

what a work of autism

Go back to your mancave OP

Clearly preference. Pale Moon for example, is claimed to be possible unsecure, yet they had implemented Spectre/Meltdown countermeasures since October 2016, while the average Holla Forums user didn't even know about them in the first place.

The only correct way to browse YT is mps-youtube.

The fact that he even considered hosting in GERMANY of all places sets off alarm bells.

Peace and freedom from botnets to you user.

Ungoogled Chromium sounds like bait. No way there's no telemetry fuckery going on there.

Ungoogled Chromium replaced all IPs and domains with gibberish, do you think Google built in a super sneaky fallback á la encrypted telemetry IPs?

Not him, but while there probably is no telemetry on its own, it does help all the spyware in the javascripts to collect data, just like chrome.

I think Chromium is compromised in ways the average technically proficient software engineer could only imagine. Chromium is indirectly the fruit of google which is completely and totally compromised by several Advanced Persistent Threats with state actor resources at their disposal. It took decades to find an innocuous vulnerability in microprocessor hardware everyone had access to and functionally understood. When you're talking about pieces of software as large, complex and connected as a modern web browser trust is important; just because the source is available doesn't by itself make the software trustworthy.
It may be obfuscated telemetry, it may be other very subtle weaknesses or identifiers present.

What the fuck is a Bre-meme?

Long time ago I installed their antivirus because it was the only antivirus installgentoo recommended, and despite turning off all the additional shit, it still changed my fucking search engine to Yahoo, and would redirect missing web pages to their fucking custom search engine. I would not use the browser of a company that pulls this kind of shit, and I can't believe this fucking shit is still recommended on installgentoo.

their shit was decent around 2010-11, iirc that shit started around 2012

Damore lawsuit
pdf-archive.com/2018/01/09/368688363-james-damore-vs-google-class-action-lawsuit/368688363-james-damore-vs-google-class-action-lawsuit.pdf

That's nice. Thanks.

A/V was never good, especially not after the year 2000.

pale meme is made by a furry who won't let you install extensions because of his own insecurities

cool story bro

fuck off furfag

why the fuck would you ever use tails over wifi?
thats like putting 9 different locks on your door and leaving the windows open...

Not that user but I looked into it myself. Personal red flags:

For me personally I don't want to use anything centralized, the only thing I would accept is components that rely on centralized servers for things like discovery or bootstrapping.

For me the choices I'm still looking at are XMPP and Matrix since you can host everything yourself and use whatever client you like. As long as that's the case you can rely on it existing as long as you or someone else is willing to host and if you don't trust 1 server you can always use another or your own.

I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone does anything interesting with IPFS for chat. The Orbit project is interesting but it and IPFS itself are still immature.

XMPP seems to be the way to go for at least the next few years. I see people pushing Matrix but I don't know enough about it to compare it with XMPP, the only thing I know so far is that I don't like any of the server or client software that exists right now, which doesn't help motivate me to learn more about it, if it turns out to only be marginally better than XMPP I'll still have to wait for people to write better implementations (I'm not doing it myself).

XMPP has a lot of choices for both servers, clients, and extensions. The age leads to maturity in all of those as well; optimized and fault tolerant on the servers, well integrated, platform native feeling clients.

If anyone wants to pitch matrix or something else to me, and compare it with XMPP, I'd like that.

I like this.

What do you think about tox?

Disregarded on the basis that it's a /g/ project where most contributors have my little pony avatars.

A serious answer is that it's immature and unfinished, their goals are about secure chat and they have numerous reports of leaking user data. It's simply too young and too unpopular at the moment, it requires more people banging on it to raise my confidence in the protocol and implementations of it, as well as more contributors.

In concept it's not bad, but it's really easy to have a good concept, it's another thing to implement that concept, and implement it correctly.
Tox seems like a possible good contender.

You autists really think using "GOD TIER" obsolete software is going make your computer any private?

How can people in this chan can be so pathetic!?
So you think you're elite because you use libre software and need to post your obsolete software icons in your favorite chan because no one else gives a fuck??

Want full blown security? How about don't connect to the internet, pussy!

Your libreboot thinkpads with libre software are memes
Anyone can rape your ass as shown on the recent hardware exploitable CPU for 20+ FUCKING YEARS
NSA WATCHES YOU MASTURBATE ON YOUR COMPUTER USING JAVASCRIPT
Of course meltdown/spectre are not the only vulnerabilities, NSA will be very happy to continue watching your while you struggle with slow outdated unmaintaned software and the illusion that you're secure!

Browsers such as Pale Moon, WaterFox, Vivaldi, IceCat canh be worse than using Chromium!
Yes! You heard that right!
You pieces of shit still living on your mom's basement really think the most maintained open-source browser in the whole fucking world by people that are much smarter and wiser than all you combined is worse than for instance IceCat which is maintained by one guy who doesn't give a fuck and has plenty of security holes that take ages to get patched after Firefox?
You have idea how pathetic you are, do you?

But yeh, go ahead and use the shitty IceCat browser to browser text based websites, all your manga, chans and waiting 10 hours to load Youtube

Also make sure to continue to use GNU/Linux and not compile from source or audit every piece of code that you use. I've got friends that inject linux exploits into packages, they will be happy to steal your passwords.

Security starts with the hardware. If you didn't build your own computer or don't know how every piece of technology in your system works, than you're already vulnerable. And no one will give a shit how much GOD TIER icons you use.

Close your browsers and go read some books instead of brag how secure your whole asshole

Wow, bait is getting complex these days.

Found the Jew

no u

He has a point the only way to be secure is work for cash offline.

This smells like fresh pasta

Pajeet pls, learn how to use a western toilet and C before shittalking the elder wizards of Holla Forums.
You mean your friends work at Google?

Add Qwant and remove Yandex. Just remove Vivaldi (proprietary BS). Remove Yandex and Hotmail from email providers. Use Hooktube on desktop. No need for official website.

Is it crazy to think Google/Alphabet is nothing but a Jewish ploy to enslave the world by becoming g-d?

No, it just means you are a braindead roachpol.

I'm not sure that it's Jewish. It sure is terrible though.

why

ftfy

that's quite interesting, is there any material on how they do it for other phones?

not a whole lot, and hardly any on bootloader unlocking, and what there is is either outdated, way beyond my skill level, or usually both

you should have bought a device with unlocking in mind, but perhaps just contact the manufacturer

Nice try, (((Eich)))

Save money for Librem 5. You have 1 year until it's released.

yeah this is what i'll do next phone i buy
this one was a last minute purchase due to my old one breaking

lol who gives a shit u fucken nerds

Interesting... the nonbelievers still delude themselves. This will be an interesting report for back at out base of operations.

All hail Lord Google!

If you're changing emails do not use Openmailbox, it is the nigger of email services.
Finally lost my temper today and jumped to Protonmail, good fucking riddance.

they dropped imap support too

Looking for an application/s. If one exists that fulfils all these requirements, awesome, but I suspect there'd be at least 2:
>syncing between computer (linux and winblows at work) and phone (android)

Does such a thing exist? I suppose I could settle for a single application on my phone, but I like having things on my computer as phones irritate me.

Thanks for posting this, I use qutebrowser and it being placed in the concerning category had me concerned as well.

The issue with qutebrowser is that it doesn't have the extensibility options that the more robust browsers have. You don't have to deal with disabling inbuilt telemetry, but you can't add more privacy features yourself easily.

What's wrong with Brave?

Datamining

whats wrong with midori?

Is a shit browser. Slow and buggy.

Last time I tried Midori it worked very well

Literally every fucking time.

didn't know about mps-youtube. Is there something similar for general youtube without a focus on music?

set search_music 0
set show_video 1

I quite like Midori

Am I the only one who can't play 60fps videos?
I feel that using direct youtube url with mpv/youtube-dl gives me far better quality...

THIS IS NOW A RUST THREAD!

Yes, not being able to choose the quality to stream to mpv with is the biggest gripe I have with mpsyt.

Thank you!

pic related look at this latest use of botnet guys
oy vey why must you persecute us with your torrents?

leavegooglebehind.com/
leavegooglebehind.com/how-tos/how-to-eradicate-google-from-firefox/

You deserve it for going to yify-torrents.
user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled", false);user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled", false);user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled", false);

I find it amazing how in all these threads, you take so much pride in yourselves for how much you've "de-googled" Firefox, yet it's never occurred to any of you to share things like gHacks' user.js, opting instead to share tiny snippits of user.js. What beautiful testament to what these threads mean, that you're willing to jerk eachother off about security while doing literally the least humanly possible to create the illusion of achieving your goal while in reality doing nothing at all out of sheer ignorance.

install qupzilla

absolutely this, qupzilla is the only browser i have installed between firefox, brave, chromium and it, that doesn't show connections to google, amazon, akamai or anything else when you open wireshark.
it just needs umatrix and it's perfect.

firefox is almost unusable with the full ghacks user.js, but you're right.

Honestely didn't even know about that until you posted that. In any case it has a load of settings that I would never care about since I'm going to use the current ESR until I can't do that anymore and then I'm going to switch to something probably webengine based. And like the user ^ said its barely usable if you don't disable some of the settings in that file.

I try and keep all my programs Qt based to reduce the amount of dependencies

Sound logic.
That literally changes nothing. Literally nothing. I don't know if you're stupid or just lazy.

spotted the jew

in all seriousness tho, i won't trust anyone who has ties with soros

is textra ok?

for desktop, even better than not signing in is using hooktube.com, its a lightweight frontend, very useful for older computers too (i use an ancient thinkpad t60 because i'm one of those absolute autists) since it doesn't have all the JS bloat of youtube.

How retarded are you?

these are okay

download spork_eh

Signal isn't because it needs SIM. yalp store also isn't. It's a fronted for the very botnet you're trying to escape, same as startpage.

literally who? if you're using something named "X store", you should probably just kill yourself

People always say this about Signal, but it‘s simply the easiest and fastest way to verifiy contacts. Signal‘s usecase isn‘t keeping up with anonymous online meme friends, but as a safe alternative to SMS and WhatsApp, that doesn‘t send in cleartext, steal your contacts and keep or leak metadata, while still being as easy to securely use.
At this point I‘m sure some of these posts are coordinated FUD and consensus cracking.

It‘s a FLOSS Android replacement for Google‘s Playstore that allows you access to their apks without Play Services or signing in.

Wire does the same except it allows email registration. And seeing how it has a desktop client it's a perfect alternative to WhatsApp/Viber.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients

Wire stores metadata, profile information and contact lists on it’s servers. The only thing they keep secret is the actual message, which WhatsApp, Skype and many others do as well, but the money in datamining, tracking and surveillance lies in metadata and contacts.

Nice shill bro :^)

So does your SIM provider.

the site itself is shit, but the embeds on 8ch only need a media permission in umatrix to work

And 8ch javascript.

Your network provider only sees the unencrypted verification SMS and TLS encrypted connections to Amazon AWS, which are issues by themselves, but they cannot identify who you are contacting.
You can also keep the SIM in another phone or use a burner one, it’s simply a verification mechanism for anyone who wants to send you a message.

Don’t you trust this site? :^)

Trust me, they see your software and hardware info and can bypass root. SIM is a very bad and outdated verification method.

Bumping for this

I think nextcloud does this, but you have to run your own server or pay for someone else's.
For just android there are many calendars on f-droid that can export .ics files.

I want to give a try to qutebrowser, and I wanted to know, is there any "privacy guideline"? I don't know, is it that good by default, or is there changes that we can do?

By the way, someone is coding a "new" conkeror, based on Qtwebengine, called webmacs. It works pretty well, in python too.
2018, year of qtwebengine?

Just use a hosts file/your own DNS server with a blocklist; but I don't think you can disable javascript which is unfortunate.

hosts file/DNS setup has nothing to do with a browser. I already have all of that setup.
I was talking about Qtwebengine. I don't know it.
I think you can disable javascript. Cookies need to be disabled too. That's like the basics.
Using javascript/cookies only from a dedicated enjailed browser.

Jailbroken iOS is in every imaginable way superior to degoogled Android, fight me.

That project is totally pointless since Emacs itself is a window manager and supports key passthrough. Why use a browser the reconstructs (poorly) the ux of Emacs in typical Unix fashion when I can literally just assimilate a better web browser into Emacs like a white man?

Never heard of what white mens use in sec, called compartmentalization? Must be a systemd user.

You seem to not even use emacs, to say such a thing.

I use startpage as I like good results but not the botnet

I made a Google proxy chiru.no/a/search/

There's 4 people using it, including myself, and i'm running while :; do curl "chiru.no/a/search/?search=$(shuf -n1 dictionary.txt)"; sleep 60; done on it so that should be pretty good obfuscation, sauce code is on there so smoke grass go fast and eat ass folks

2018 was the year i managed to get away from gmail and google search, checkmate botnet

chiru.no/a/mail/

I find searx more comfy. It's nice being able to have a view websites through their proxy.

pretty good. How difficult would it be to get google images up & running?

This is pretty neat. It might help to randomize the sleep duration.

Cool
not using it but cool.

Holy shit nice.

You're welcome, my child.

They dont use and of the blobs in chromium or at least they are not available by default.

Waterfox removes all the non free blobs ,drm and telemetery

The webmail is not working right now.

Try now. Login via webmail or imap chiru.no:993 (ssl)

Registering accounts will work right away now

chiru.no/a/mail/?source

touch('restart-postfix.txt'); // while :; do if [ -f /var/www/htdocs/chiru.no/a/mail/restart-postfix.txt ]; then rm /var/www/htdocs/chiru.no/a/mail/restart-postfix.txt && postmap /etc/postfix/vmailbox && rc-service postfix restart; fi; sleep 10; done

Installed MicroG, works pretty well. Phone went from booting in a minute to booting in 10 actual seconds.

Only thing left google gor me is google docs. Its nice being able to open and edit docs in the cloud.

What browsers worth using at this point? I used pale moon for years but it's no longer functioning on a few websites. Just out of date messages.

Waterfox is really good. I think it's available as a snap package

Firefox

The real solution, is to use text browser/rss for news. That's the direction.
Now there is still browser that could be use. You can use icecat, and replace the gnu noscript by the regular noscript. You could, if you're a programmer/power user, use qutebrowser, that allows you to do a lot of things, but it asks for a lot of configuration.

I don't see anything else. Run everything from a jail using firejail with the private flag.
Web browsers are the worste piece of shit ever. That's why I said that the direction is text browsing.

You can make Firefox more or less like icecat with a bit of tweaking your about:config.

The real issue is that once ESR 52 is gone we'll be stuck with pozzed Sorosfox. I plan on NOT updating beyond 52, and relying on hardening the browser. I hope somebody forks it.

Is this the new "my dad works at Nintendo"?

Attached: mexkh6qmDN1qicteeo1_500000.jpg (500x378, 131.7K)

Reminder that sdf.org is superior to other email providers and has been around for 30 years.

Cock.li is a honeypot.

Hahaha glowdarks are mad.

Debian has reproduceable builds. I hope such things will be used more. Also, I never heard of anyone having such problems. Your friends might not be real, and you should go and see a theraphist.

Attached: 71e411028de548dcc5544a805a59e2885625a4a4b13ba0389601c7e6af1d1f19.jpg (182x276, 5.29K)

(1)
You

after ESR Icecat updates to (((Quantum))) we'll only have qupzilla (Falkon), txt based browser, qutebrowser, surf and mostly obscure browsers :(
Iridium wasn't that bad but they stopped updating and stopped removing hardcore obsolete-bloat features

>(((memes)))
e p i n