Mission Hill

So I remember watching this for the first time a couple of weekends ago juts to see what the big deal was and I think I'm the only person that just doesn't get it.

The humor is very webcomicy, hell Andy pretty much feels like a character from a shitty gaming webcomic, he's a massive asshole who's up his own ass and his annoying little brother isn't any better.

And what is up with that weird hippie chick? What's her deal?

The only character I liked was the best friend, he seems like a pretty cool dude and I liked the fact he took advantage of his office job like that.

I don't understand the appeal of this show.

Other urls found in this thread:

missionhill.tripod.com/mh_lost.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That was the avant garde humor of the time, in a way. IIRC the creators of the show were the writers of The Simpsons just right before it entered zombie simpsons territory. They had the unfortunate task of trying to prolong the originality of the show but still made some of the mistakes that cast it off into its zombie existence. Mission Hill in a way it eludes but also passes through borderline hipster territory. It's pretty tame compared to the shit these days.

Posey a qt.

This is the first time I've ever heard of it, but, based off of your description, it sounds like it's a Family Guy show for nerds.

It used to air on Adult Swim in its really early years.

It's more like, modern single adult life where stuff in a big city happens. It's in the same vein as a lot of late 90s movies that were just about slice-of-life apartment dwellers and the ordinary things that happened in their young adult lives, but in cartoon format. Family Guy even in its first seasons was more zany and random than anywhere Mission Hill went. Mission Hill is more comfy honestly. If hipsters and nerds ever stayed in the constraints of Mission Hill, they'd be seen as ordinary people.

Webm related, the most random Mission HIll ever got.

I never got that joke, it comes out of nowhere and it's funny because it's random?

The sequence is of the little brother having a bunch of troubling or intimidating things happen to him along his morning to school, that one guy comes along and brightens his day by civilly shoo-ing away the grumpy aggressive bum, only for vid related to ensue.

But that guy is introduced in an episode before this, where he goes to a payphone and says Penis over and over again.

So I guess it's a funny call back? I dunno this show's humor is just too hipster for my taste.

No dude, that's all in the same episode unless timelines have altered again when I didn't notice and the payphone happens after this.

Its been a while does it hold up?

The joke is that the kid isn't used to living in the city and everyone is an asshole. Then one guy shows up whose actually friendly but it turns out the guy is a pervert.

Probably outdated

Like most cartoon sitcoms of its time, people probably mostly put it on a pedestal because they feel it's better than its treatment suggests. It's probably why the Family Guy and Futurama revivals couldn't live up to expectations.

From what I saw it's main gig is making fun of hipsters, and if you haven't had to deal directly with the little shitstains IRL then most of the humor will probably go over your head.

It seems everyone here doesn't get the point of Mission Hill. It's not about this kid moving to big city and his older brother being an asshole, it's about them, and all of the main and secondary characters growing and interacting, like the show that the writers came from, the Simpsons. It wasn't around long enough to really get going, but what was put out there was an enticing glimpse into what the show could do. Episodes like the one where Andy and Kevin drive to their parents house is where the real heart of the show lies. As for the comedy, it's either your thing or not, but it leans on a lot of genuinely nerdy and counter-culture in-jokey stuff which is NOT a lot of people's cup of tea. Another thing to note is the art style, which is very gonzo and unique and still holds up even today. In short, I like the show, but no everyone does for a reason.

By the way, the show doesn't just make fun of hipsters, it makes fun of posers, which both in real life and the show, are mostly hipsters. Things to consider.

Probably

How many times I have to tell you to do something more productive.

The show is a time capsule of sorts. And I don't mean it's dated by a burden of pop culture references, it is dated by its narrative style. I would rather this be the norm than most nihilistic and vulgar adult cartoons that pretend to not want to be taken seriously but do.

Very much agree. The show was also self-aware in a way that it knew what it had to deliver and never went overboard in any such way. Had a lot of heart to go with it.

PINGAS PINGAS PINGAS

I remember watching this on adult swim when I was younger. It was pretty good. I feel its underrated.

Honestly it was hard for me trying to meet this show halfway, Kevin and Andy are both really annoying and unlikable and I honestly don't know how anyone would put up with Andy's shit.

That being said, I do like the fact that Andy is talented, but lazy. They could have portrayed him as a complete loser but they didn't, he has talent but he's just a lazy person who doesn't wanna put in any of the hard work yet thinks everyone else is holding him back.

Maybe the show could have gotten better later on? I dunno. But overall, found it to be pretty meh.

I always felt like him being a shit was tied to him being what he is. A mid 20s guy with loads of untapped potential who moved to the city to get away from mom and dad with a little shit brother who acts like a self absorbed leech. But when it gets down to it he really does care about his sibling, just doesn't exactly show it all the time. Honestly those two alone made the show terribly relatable for me. It feels like it was supposed to last at least a season more and be all about growing up and kind of experiencing adulthood with them, what it means to be mature, stupid as that sounds. Kinda like Morel Orel but not fucking terrible with some sort of freak gay occult bullshit under the surface of it all.

The show is kind of tragic because it was planned to be an american made slice of life show where they age the characters in a realistic manner but we only got the first season.

Shame it didn't go on. Would've loved to see what happens to them later. Seeing this show makes me feel old. It's not amazing but it's just decent enough that I remember it pretty well.

I still want this on a t shirt

Naw OP I'm the same. I watched it when it was new, didn't like it. Tried watching it again last year still didn't like it.

Consider that every situation and the humor derived from it is entirely plausible in a real life scenario. Including the 9/11 episode

that's it, we gotta reset the universe, this timeline is ass, balls and taint
dubs we get a universal reset

Bruh, it's not just me? I thought that joke was crazy obvious

You're not alone.

I found scripts for the lost episodes.

missionhill.tripod.com/mh_lost.htm

It is in the context of the episode, but the webm is little more than the guy starting to talk and then

So I can understand how someone whose never seen the show or doesnt remember it might be confused.

Thanks

It's Kafka-esque.