8/co/ Reading List?

Seeing as how the scumbags over at Holla Forums are making a list of movies, I thought we should make a list of comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

demian5.com/king/wiak.htm
girlgeniusonline.com/index.php
harkavagrant.com/
8ch.net/co/res/790819.html
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/Serenity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valérian_and_Laureline#English_translations
complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/the-25-comic-books-you-need-to-read-before-you-die/
forbiddenplanet.com/log/50-best-best-graphic-novels/
buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/graphic-novels-101-a-beginners-guide
mashable.com/2015/08/02/comics-for-new-fans
screenrant.com/best-dc-comic-book-stories-ever/?view=all
screenrant.com/best-marvel-comics-stories-storylines-ever-all-time/?view=all
hollywoodreporter.com/lists/superhero-comic-books-100-best-934371/item/authority-by-warren-ellis-bryan-935390
goodreads.com/list/tag/comics
comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/johnkmccubbin91/lists/my-top-stories-and-story-arcs-of-all-time/44413/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon#Strip_bibliography
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is their most recent one

I'd like to propose Shazam!: Power of Hope as one for the list. I suppose Kingdom Come as well. Especially with how the latter is incredibly relevant to the industry today.

Yeah, I'll give my two cents.

Cerebus
Maus
Bone
Watchmen
Anything by Moebius, Robert Crumb, Jose Munoz or Vaughn Bode
Jack Kirby's New Gods
The Dark Knight Returns
Miller's Daredevil
Will Eisner's A Contract With God
The Killing Joke
Understanding Comics
Gaiman's Sandman
Panther's Rage
All Star Superman
Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?
Transmetropolitan
Preacher
Arkham Asylum
Mad Love
Steranko's Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Den
Byrne/Claremont Uncanny X-Men
Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans
George Perez' Wonder Woman
Carl Barks/Dan Roza Scrooge McDuck
Tintin
Asterix The Gaul
Minimum Wage
Walt Simonson's Thor
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Pogo Possum
Love and Rockets

And if we're including manga, which I do, even if it's not a popular position or endorsed by the board:

Akira
MW
Domu: A Child's Dream
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Lone Wolf and Cub
Berzerk
Azumanga Daioh
Yotsuba!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Appleseed
Golgo 13
Fist Of The North Star

Haven't even seen half of the films on that list.

Also, I'm not really sure what would go under as something to recommend, or is even recommendation worthy. I'll have to admit, I haven't read many comics, but, even then, I don't really know what I can recommend of what I've read.

Perhaps the only ones I could throw out there is the original Flash Gordan comic strip that began in the mid-30's, and the Turok: Son of Stone series that began in the mid-50's that began under Dell Comics and ended under Gold Key Comics. And, the reason why would be for…the imagination behind it and to provide a perspective on the way comics have evolved. In addition, I could recommend Bionicle due to how deep the story can get, but that's it.

Two last things by the way:
>1. Could we also recommend some Eastern comics? I know people don't want this to turn into an /a/ discussion, so limit it to about…4 or 5 manga, at most.
>2. Are we also going to do one for cartoons (With a repeat of the previous question, but this time asking about anime)?

Oh, and if we include webcomics…
Jesus, talk about nightmare mode, lol.

demian5.com/king/wiak.htm
girlgeniusonline.com/index.php
harkavagrant.com/

What about comic strips? Hell, Garfield, Peanuts, Dilbert…

There's so many things out there that it's very hard to even recommend specific series as one of the top 25. And, even then, with every media, some creators say that it's best to go through the shitty material because there's even some positive aspects to shitty comics then even great comics fall flat on.

Rough draft

No, if only because there are so many comics it'd be difficult to devise a criteria that doesn't just boil down to "read the popular stuff and some cult classics". Which is somewhat redundant because you could find the same recommendations elsewhere. It'd be better to rec stuff people wouldn't find on your usual lists.

Personally, I think big ass recommendation lists are deterrents to developing individual taste. Sometimes you have to read the "bad stuff" to appreciate the good stuff. Who knows? You might surprise yourself every now and then.

Already a board for it, not worth the hassle. Plus it'd just take up space

A Smithsonian Book of Comic-book Comics
The New Smithsonian Book of Comic Book Stories: From Crumb to Clowes
Comics and Sequential Art (Eisner)
Understanding Comics (McCloud)
Gods' Man (Ward)
The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Marvels
Miracleman
The Dark Knight Returns
Love & Rockets Vol. 1
Watchmen
Grendel: Devil by the Deed
Days of Future Past
From Hell
Raw Magazine
Sandman
Kingdom Come
Planetary

Speaking of The Mummy… didn't they make a comic of it?

I already said Pogo Possum.

You can Calvin and Hobbes if you want, I shall continue to Pogo Possum.
Calvin and Hobbes was a bit derivative of Pogo. Actually so was Bone, and Cheech Wizard.

But none of them were as viciously political as Pogo.

Change the font

I am seriously disappointed. Chew is probably one of the better comics from the past decade.

Holla Forums is only interested in violating little girls

I thought Imhotep was invisible.

I would recommend Shazam! Power of Hope everything cape comics should be.

and of fucking course Hellboy

Byrne or Stan lee FF

Good taste user and good point with kingdom come

That's some dark stuff lad.

oops
meant for

Shazam really is good.

Don't forget about the Farside comics.

Didn't know about Byrne's Fantastic 4. Would you recommend it for someone who was never into it but would like to see what they're like?

Cartoons?

Jonny Quest
Holla Forums could probably come up with a short list of the best Simpsons and South Park series/episodes. You can't ignore them, but there is a huge amount of crud.
Aeon Flux
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead
The new Mickey Mouse shorts
The Big Les Show
Anything by Ralph Bakshi, except Cool World.
Fantastic Planet
Titan A.E.
Rock n' Rule
Light Years
Time Masters
Fantasia
Allegro Non Troppo
Yellow Submarine
Chirpy

For anime, I'll just pimp Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, and all of Miyazaki's stuff.

you missed Riki-Oh.

It is probably the most Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four run you will ever read.

TBH one of my favourite cape stories.

Shit, forgot Cowboy Bebop.

Eh, I enjoyed it, but I like the live action movie better, and I don't think the manga is required reading. Not like Fist Of The North Star, which it's derivative of anyway.

Will second Hellboy

Seconded.

For the sake of some titles less likely to get mentioned:
Code Lyoko
Ruby Gloom
King of the Hill
Johnny Bravo
HtTYD cartoons They are not that bad, honestly.

Forgot to include Archer and Dreamkeepers.

are you me

few of my own:
V for Vendetta
Marvels
Miracle/Marvelman
Vision (King)
X-Men Legacy (Spurrier)
F4/FF, Black Monday Murders, Manhattan Projects, Avengers/New Avengers, East of West by Hickman
Black Knight (Tieri)
Saga (first 3 books, gets shit after)
BPRD
Captain America (Brubaker)
New X-Men
Kelly, Possehn, Duggan, Tieri and Nicieza Deadpool
Nextwave
New Warriors (Yost)
Scarlet Spider (Yost)
Inhumans (Jenkins)

Just pirate if they're SJW

I'd like to also add Princess Jellyfish amd Gangsta if were adding Mangos.

also would be cool to have them divided into genre

I'd like to suggest anything by Junji Ito, but I think that'd be too hard a nudge into /a/'s domain. Besides, I wouldn't say it's a _required_ reading. More like a highly advisable read.

Add Largo Winch & The Phantom to that list

How about no.

was the faggot op even making a pic or was he saying "we" meaning you because I am lazing, I might just make the pic myself tbh

Usagi Yojimbo, The Goon, Witch Doctor, Orc Stain, and Locke and Key are all very good books.

And probably the most underrated one too.

Someone is making something

Comics have kind of the opposite of manga's "there's a lot of shit out there" deal.

I'd argue that most comics are passable, and the really notorious ones will stand out (hellcat, identity crisis, trouble). You're pretty much safe reading anything, but it's best to start with iconic or well-respected ones, with some examples. For instance, The Dark Knight Returns should never be your FIRST comic.

Fuck off with trying to start drama Holla Forums.

Especially if you're not familiar with how comics work, multiverses in comics, and the stuff it's commentating about.

I second the goon

Yeah they started it but that does not mean they are working on it anymore

bump

Are any faggots actually making these or do I need to step up and actually do shit?

There was one guy, but if he doesn't show up by Thursday, ill be willing to do it.

I feel like doing this and reviving the thread, the question is what do we want to do with this list of suggestions, who is it aimed at any pleb who know nothing or a Holla Forums user who has some idea about comics, but either way I think it would be best to separate the comic suggestions by genre and sorta of sift through the good ones, so starting off with cape shit what should we add?

I am going to go ahead and put forward

FF Stan lees and Byrnes run
Shazam! Power of Hope
Kingdom come
The Question
Johns/waids Flash
Young Justice
New Teen Titans
DnA Cosmic Marvel
JSA
Lobo v2
Cage!

just to name a few

I'd add Resident Alien to the list.

Most logical splits would be Marvel, DC, other American comics, and European comic books. DC and Marvel could be split into golden, silver, brown, and modern ages. Rest could be further sorted by generas.

However, having a sticky or cycling "what good comics have you read lately/want to discuss" thread would be better than making a list, and it would facilitate more discussion.

The problem is these images are ironic shitposting. They don't actually like the prequels, everything listed is there because of some shitty forced meme.

It's a good first draft. Just change the colors, font, and remove the capeshit and we're ready to go.

Spoken like a true plebbitor.

This. Holla Forums is for higher-level shitposting. The main reason I go there is to post anime, then tell myself to go back to /a/.

Don't worry little bro, we still love you, one day you'll make a whole new meme yourselves - we're rooting for you!

Just because you're not smart enough to appreciate the high art of prequel kino doesn't make it a meme.

One day you'll be able to make a meme, like this one, this one is called TruthSeeker. It's a Holla Forums original, I bet you'll make one some day!

I hate Holla Forums so much.

We love you lil bro!

Fam…

into the trash it goes

>>>/reddit/
>>>/RLM/

I'm lovin' it

Hi Mike

HEY MODS GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO YOUR FUCKING JOB FOR ONCE

HUEHUEHUEHUE

first 60 or so issues of deadpool were awesome
spawn was alright, even if the story tends to get convoluted halfway through
are there any good medieval comics? i liked spawn the dark ages

Yeah Demon Knights, Conan, Those elseworlds/what ifs,

Reddipol rulecuck detected

Pleb.

truly Holla Forums is Holla Forums's little brother.

Okay its been a week, im gonna start a rough draft on Sunday when im home with my desktop, first thing though, emailing Beyonder but the Holla Forums spam.

Holla Forums needs to be shoahed, actually the worst board on this goddamn website

I still love this scene.

>>>/rules/

It's magnificent

I was here to check if Resident Alien is in the list and yet people arguing over Star Wars prequels.

Okay im back, im actually going to start doing it tomorrow. If someone could start a fresh thread for it that would be great.

Why don't you start the fresh thread itself mang, stop asking us to do your job.

Im busy but sure, Sunday for sure.

So are we gonna do this or what? Just made pic related and really wanna see this completed.

Would be nice if the list was less capeshit and more hidden gems.

Why not continue here?

Borgia by Jodorowsky and Milo Manara.

The comics should be:

>Watchmen
>Kingdom Come
>Essential: The Savage She-Hulk
>Shadow Man ('92)
>Shazam!: Power of Hope
>[Insert DC comic series that ended with, or prior to, Crisis on Infinite Earths]
That should do it for capeshit

>XIII
>Flash Gordon ('34)
>Dilbert
>Tintin
>Turok: Son of Stone
>Sequential Art or Sabrina Online (One of those two)

There's a rough list for you.

Forgot to ask, how many comics should we include? 12? 15? 20?

Also I suggest we keep it one comic per category. For example, there can't be both The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum on the list, only one Batman comic.

If this thread doesn't prove that Holla Forums is Holla Forums's little brother I don't know what does

Stop shitposting and contribute user

I forgot to be specify, the Turok series will be the one that began in '54.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Nah, it proves that we have way too many shitposters from Holla Forums that need to stick to their board.

Which comic cover should I go for? There are plenty.

Prior to Holla Forums believing they memed Eddy Brock back into publication, was the character actually any good?

Isn't it a series? Go for the first one published.

Yeah, he's been great since his inception basically. There were some really bad comics with him in the late 90s/ early 2000s, but aside from that he's one of the most consistently interesting and entertaining characters in the Marvel universe.

The current Brock thread we have going is doing all his major appearances in chronological order.

8ch.net/co/res/790819.html

Then, which of the capeshit comics do you think should be replaced by a Venom comic, or do you want to add it to an "Honorable Mentions" list?

Why do you have a max number of comics on the list anyways? Holla Forums just kept making the image bigger until they got everything people wanted in there.

Hell, I made the one for Holla Forums. Give me a couple seconds and I'll make one for Holla Forums too.

******nope*******

I was already working on , thinking of making it 16 comics for starters.

So far I have
but I think the last 2 are pretty obvious capeshit that we should avoid… Would love to hear some thoughts about this.

Two reasons.

1.Because there are so many series out there. If we really took the time, we could spend a month find the greatest comics that do exist, and we would still find ones that we haven't even started digging into yet.

2. One of the reasons why I stay away from a lot of recommendation lists (E.G. The 1000 [Insert media] That You Should Experience Before You Die) is that they become too pretentious in their choices. From what the way I understand it, recommendation lists should, at minimum, be used to get people into comics and show them what can be offered.

I'd say make the list max 30 comics, at most 40 (If you must).

Have you seen the thread

Nice user.But its 8/co/ you don't want confusion with cuck/co/.

No, I'm afraid not.

Noted.
I'll be re-making the template shortly and will include 20 titles, I reckon that's a good number?

Holla Forums this is getting sad

Why

New template with some sample entries

I wanted to add things like hellboy and swamp thing but didn't know which series/book to use. If any user could tell me which that would be great.

Nice, should we add the new Flintstones comics or are they too much on the verge of crossing the line?

Though we should add the DC KFC comic

Don't see why not, they'd be a unique addition.

I'm not going to lie, seeing that made be throw up in my mouth a little.

That said, I strongly suggest Tales of The Bizarro World and The Amazing Transformations of Jimmy Olsen be added. They're good introduction to the greatness of Silver Age Superman.

I believe if you're going to make a list of suggested titles, it should be one of comics Holla Forums actually had fun reading. Stuff like KFC comics, Serenity, or Stardust.

Recs like the Watchmen is just fucking bland. It doesn't say anything about our unique tastes or identity.

But people did enjoy the Flintstones comics its just that its walking a thin line between being to damn preachy and being really fun.

I say leave it in, its still good for the content not everything needs to be a comedy. Speaking of comedy we need Chew in there.

Now does anyone know any good sci-fi books, there was a thread a week ago with people pitching, I think that'll help here too.

How about adding Grimm's Ghost Stories then? A group of people here seem to enjoy it:

Mostly French comics are the ones coming to mind (Unless you want to count /a/ material).

Don't even bring them up but French is fine.

Sorry user I'm really trying my best here.
Added.

Isn't this manga? Belongs in >>>/a/

I agree quite frankly. Though I'd say that more about the "predictable" capeshit like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and X-Men… Those are ones that the list could actually do without.>seeing that made be throw up in my mouth a little

Added.

This looks pretty interesting, won't be replacing Watchmen though… What do the other anons think.

The Incal, Nikopol, and Valérian and Laureline are notable ones I know of, but I haven't read any of them.

Forgot to add that we'll be going for only one comic per hero for capeshit… I'll either include Bizzaro, Jimmy Olsen or All-Star for superman.

I vote Bizzaro

It's completely 100% American and a Holla Forums tradition to storytime during Easter since the dawn of original Holla Forums ya newfag.

No its completely western, its basiclly drawn by a guy following one of those how to draw manga books. But its written by a comic book writer.

Yeah, I know TV Tropes but it honestly the only good article for the book. tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/Serenity

Okay?.. Guess I'll be adding it then.

I say add them, someone should ask the translation thread if they have any good books.

That article helps, thanks user.

Isn't it a bad idea to include fan translations due to them likely being inaccurate or inconsistent?

No,I mean if they know any good books not the ones they're translating.

Agreed. Just asked in

All of these have been officially translated so I guess I can add them… Although the last one apparently wasn't translated in full (the wikipedia article is not clear about this).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valérian_and_Laureline#English_translations

How about CyberSix?

Didn't know that had a comic.. How good is it?

I heard its good but most of it was never translated.

thanks doc

Shouldn't we go instead for KFC: Colonel of Two Worlds since it's the first issue? Or is Colonel Corps better?

Yeah

Perhaps we should just put "KFC" as a placeholder for both comics (or the series as a whole if you can call it that).

fuck off

Alan Moore Swamp Thing

again, it shouldn't be about personal taste but what's objectively good
also

My vote is also for Bizzarro, though Jimmy is a close second. Everyone and their mother praises All-Star Superman, along with the other "must read" comics like Watchmen.

I must agree with others and say that we should include books most of Holla Forums enjoys with preference placed on obscurity. Lets not waste a spot on The Killing Joke, which enjoys mainstream success, when we can suggest something like The Movement, which is hilariously terrible.

Think of it this way: If you were going to suggest comics to another board, what comics do you want them to read? Do you want them to read the Watchmen? Or do you want them laugh at how much of a hack Gail Simone is?

I can go to ten thousand TOP TEN list sites and get what's "objectively good". Watchmen, Swamp Thing, All Star Superman, The Killing Joke, Maus, all those fuckers are going to be on the list. Holla Forums making a list of what's "objectively good" would just be retreading the same fucking shit.

Instead, we should make a list of what we consider good. Shit we've dug up, found, and enjoyed. Stuff that would never show up on mainstream reading lists. We would be lending our expertise as a board about comics to suggest what people should read.

Already in this thread we have a lot of good suggestions that are purely full/co/, shit you wouldn't see anywhere else. By focusing on what's "objectively good", you're limiting the scope of the beautiful and amazing comics we've read to a standard casual starter-pack.

May I suggest Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway?

You mah nigga.

Will you autists please stop using the term "objectively good" like it has any meaning? You're triggering my autism.
There is no such thing as "objectively good", "good" is by definition a subjective value, and only autard objectivists ever say otherwise.
There's what is popular, and what is popular here.

I disagree completely. This list should be the stuff everyone interested in the subject should read, even if some of it is well-known.

I'll repeat what I said here:

>2. One of the reasons why I stay away from a lot of recommendation lists (E.G. The 1000 [Insert media] That You Should Experience Before You Die) is that they become too pretentious in their choices. From what the way I understand it, recommendation lists should, at minimum, be used to get people into comics and show them what can be offered.

That's why I tried to balance my list (>>777347) between recommended reading and required reading.

You know, you've got the titans that shaped the genre, and you've got the more obscure gems, and you've got the runs that are just standouts because they were so well crafted, but you need to understand the status quo to get why the gamechangers hit as hard as they did, or you don't see what all the fuss was about.
Stuff like New Teen Titans didn't break the mold, but they set the pace.

kys

So far we have
Most likely gonna be removed
>Watchmen
>The Killing Joke
>All-Star Superman
>Venom: Lethal Protector
>Days of Future Past
Yet to be added

Not trying to meme here. My point is that a list full of capeshit comics is very predictable and nothing special at all, especially when the comics are the very ones you'll find on every "how do I into comics?" article/list out there.

Ditto.
I don't think that's a good idea… The point of the list is showcasing good comics that would get people into reading.

Good choice, added.

We could do without the required since they're already featured everywhere else.

ykys

I've read both Colonel of Two Worlds and Colonel Corps and I'd say the latter is definitely better. A new reader could jump right into it and hardly miss anything, too… So I'm gonna be adding that.

Thoughts on Snotgirl? Just read it in another thread and thought it was good enough to include here.

Maybe we can add more southern American comics, someone already mentioned cybersix, anyone know more?

I was genuinely surprised by it. Her life is a downward spiral of madness brought on by her own shallowness and I find myself wanting to know what happens next.

The artist sometimes forgets how to draw legs

According to it wasn't translated in full. I don't think we can add an incomplete comic.

Added

Really? I thought it was Tumblr: The comic, did the writer do it intentionally or did he fuck up and it just worked.

The artist might be a tumblrina but the story has no SJW/snowflake shit at all (so far).

Huh, I mean the artist obviously but whatever.

it's written by Brian Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim), and while I can see how that might send up red flags this is post-him-finding-his-balls
read the first issue to its conclusion and decide if you want to read more

I'll check it out.

remember that there is such a thing as double-digit dubs

Yo >>>Holla Forums is this way. Stay on topic.

Second one was a dubs picture of World War I''' soldiers, you retard.
The first was accidental; I was and still am drunk.

lel, *World War I

XIII ,Thorgal , Murena because it's damn well written and Lone Sloane for the artwork alone ; these are my picks

Thorgal may not be translated to the full extent of the series but all the main series was and it does give out a cohesive storyline throughout those so it counts as far as i'm concerned

I have the Telltale version

You mean the anniversary edition? AFAIK it's just a digital remaster of the original.

still missing bone.

This

As per the requests for removing the obvious capeshit I decided to go ahead and remove them. A bunch of choices were made from all suggestions ITT and now all 20 spaces on the list are filled… Tell me if you want to add/remove anything before I wrap this up.

All entries up till now in chronological order (I hope I didn't get any dates wrong):

I say we should add a disclaimer, telling anyone wondering where the capes went, why they aren't listed.

This is a mediocre list at best, and the last segment is especially retarded.

How so?

Jesus Christ you fucks

Leaves out almost all the classics for the sake of being arbitrarily "obscure," ignores most of the 80s and 90s, includes titles like Chew, which has really amateurish art, and that final five is includes a meme comic that's straight-up advertising, a new series that's only had half a dozen issues published, and a series that could be a CW show.

Oh shit I forgot about that one.

Oh boy here we go. user this shit is mostly what Holla Forums enjoys, honestly it doesn't kill the regular newfag to google "the best comics of all time" or some shit and get a list. I say the list is fine so far.

fuck off

it all makes sense now. cuck.

idiot.

When it comes to Hellboy, each volume can be read as a standalone, so it doesn't really matter all that much. Plague of Frogs is probably the most obvious starting choice.

But it was released in the 90s.

And that's why there should be more than one list.

/a/'s "Must watch" list is one ginat solid list of all the shows considered "great" by different parts of the fandom. From moe slice of life bullshit to horror thrillers, they throw in everything. They don't expect people to like everything on their list, but it gives you a great taste of what the medium can offer. That's what we should do with the Holla Forums reading list.

That would actually be even better. Template in is not enough in either case.

For reference, this is what the /a/ list looks like.

cuck/co/ had one in the past, but damn most people will just over look it because theres so much.

Maybe we should make a "tier" chart, too.

Eh, dont want to make it too long

Good idea, might add that at the bottom.

It wasn't meant to be a "best of" list, but instead more of a "niche comics that Holla Forums enjoys" list.
If you want "best" then check the links further down.
Suggest some comics then.

What shall I replace on the list with those? I suggest Bone & Locke

The "compiled" trilogy was released in 2016. If I'm gonna use the original dates then might as well call it simply "Nikopol".

We can make a separate list for the popular capeshit… No, wait:
complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/the-25-comic-books-you-need-to-read-before-you-die/
forbiddenplanet.com/log/50-best-best-graphic-novels/
buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/graphic-novels-101-a-beginners-guide
mashable.com/2015/08/02/comics-for-new-fans
screenrant.com/best-dc-comic-book-stories-ever/?view=all
screenrant.com/best-marvel-comics-stories-storylines-ever-all-time/?view=all
hollywoodreporter.com/lists/superhero-comic-books-100-best-934371/item/authority-by-warren-ellis-bryan-935390
goodreads.com/list/tag/comics
comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/johnkmccubbin91/lists/my-top-stories-and-story-arcs-of-all-time/44413/

Bone is even mentioned a couple of times in those links, all the more reason to replace it with something more obscure.

/a/'s list is too big, no reason why we should follow their footsteps.

I'm hesitant to bring up Largo Winch then because that comics has been in multiple media.

Make it between Grimm's Ghost Stories or Serenity (This Serenity\/)

Largo is p popular too, I'll just stick with Serenity.

How about Power Pack? 1-55+holiday special and the multiple 2010s mini-series are all pretty good.

>goodreads.com/list/tag/comics

From the pic you provided:

>The Dark Knight Returns - 5 times
>Watchmen - 5 times
>Maus - 3 times
>V for Vendetta - 3 times
>The Killing Joke - Twice
>Persepolis - Twice
>Sandman - Twice

Shit, is Amulet still going?

Bump

Old the pool really is that small

Crap, I meant Seed of Destruction. Plague of Frogs was the first BPRD book, which should appear on the list too.

Got any images?

Here they are. And I messed up with BPRD too - first story is actually Hollow Earth. I just keep associating frogs exclusively with with the beginning of Mignolaverse.

fuck off

that physically hurts

THEY ARE…THE BOWEL MOVEMENT

Make your own list if you like capeshit so much.

How about we just fit all hellboy related content into one section

No, it's one comic only per hero. There shouldn't be one character having more entries on the list than another.

I'm going to add Astro City + either Hellboy or BPRD. Make your picks then tell me what I should replace here:

Hurry Holla Forumsmrades and let's finish this.

Hellboy's pretty mainstream though

fuck off.
I read all sorts from all sorts of countries and genres.
It's not liking one over the other it's the fact the capeshit meme is retarded

Make me.
Protip: Capeshit

Its wide known, not as popular as other things.

Punisher MAX must be on the list. Not debatable.

Oh and kingdom come just for the God tier art!

Hellboy/Shazam/Flash Gordon counts as capeshit, kill yourself you meme-spouting faggot.

according to whom?

Idiots being idiots just ignore the obvious bait, which arcs should we add though?

But user that's the point of this whole thread.

For what comic? For Flash Gordon I didn't include any specific arcs… Just used the year range of publication up till the 40s as another user here wanted.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon#Strip_bibliography

Bumping this

We already decided that books that are well known don't belong on this list.

If you want something more obscure, put Witch Doctor on the list. It's an urban fantasy series, where demons are basically supernatural parasites and diseases. Similarly, exorcists are a mix of actual medical doctors and occultists. Book follows one of them and his two assistants.

I'ts ok but I would never recomend them

fuck off

Seconding "Astro City"
also
Super Man Red Sun
Old Man Prophet
Orc Stain

just noticed but
you're stupidly retarded

Eh, they're not that popular to be honest. Not as popular as the ones that were removed, anyway…

We're already gonna include Bizarro.

I'll be reworking the list and posting again shortly…

Add Marshal Law to the list so the capeshit loving spic that keeps spamming "fuck off" will shut up.

Red Star definitely has to go on. Not too sure on Orc Stain.

Current list:

Removed:

> Watchmen
> The Killing Joke
> Tales of the Bizarro World
> Lethal Protector
> Days of Future Past
> Bone
> Locke & Key

I say put Tales of the Bizarro World back in

That is a terrible, chringy book. It's 90's anti-hero distilled to it's purist form. It tastes like rusty metal and swill. It's the kind of comic that makes you completely miserable reading it and makes you question why you bother with comics in the first place.

Now that's just fucked up.

Can't you guys agree on one thing?

Sounds like Holla Forums's kinda comic :^)

We can agree that Bizarro is good and deserves a recommendation, especially over anything by Mark Miller.

Very well, re-added.

Anything else I should edit?

Can you make a preview so far.

Are all the slots filled.

Red Son is incredibly accessable

It's also shit compared against Tales of The Bizarro World, which is even more accessible than Red Son because they were written in the fucking fifties and sixties when comics were still geared toward a general audience.

Really, why choose Mark Millar's Soviet Elseworld's comic when you can have fucking BIZARRO?

well story time it if its so great

I jsut remembered
RASL and BONE

I have yet to read bone but I've seen some on Holla Forums who recomend it and I love RASL which is made by the same guy

fuck off.
the reason I tell people to fuck off is because I want people to ignore genre and add good books regardless.
Unfortunately Marshal Law is pretty mediocre

What's it even about?

Oh look who showed up

Sure.
Mind you that this is just a preview, I'll post the full res when it's agreed upon.

Yes.
Something in particular you wanted to add?

I removed Bone since it was quite popular compared to some other obscure comics that were to be added.
Dunno about RASL.

Nikopol's date is 1999 not 2016, my bad.

Big list guy here.
Disqualifying books for being popular is the most cock-in-mouth hipster beard faggot thing I could imagine the rest of you doing. I am so disappointed in you right now I could just drop my pants and start throwing my own shit like a Capuchin monkey.

Alright, to try and salvage something from this perfect storm of faggotry, since this is a recommended reading list, how about we make a "required reading" list, for the really good stuff that is popular? Because a lot of utter shite is popular, and beginners should still cover the classics without having to wade through what the publishers say is good. Because they'd probably get a mouthful of Mark Millar's balls and never pick up a comic again.

I'd like to see a worst of all time list, too, just for when you're in a mood for self-flagellation.

Not so much because they are popular, but because they're found in almost every other list found on Earth. Just google it and you'll see what we mean.

So should we just say "anything on every other top ten list, without Mark Millar's balls in your mouth"?

That seems pretty fair.

I still want a worst list.

When I think of a recommended reading list for Full/co/, I think:

1. Is it readily available? Can some casual acquire this shit without digging deep like a Holla Forumsfag.

2. Is it original to Full/co/? Is it something that reflects our experience? We could recommend Watchmen, but every single "must read" comic list out there lists the Watchmen. Why include it when we can include something that we've discovered that isn't as well known?

With the popular stuff, I assume they're already going to read it if they're interested in comics, since everyone suggests it. I don't think it helps anybody to suggest it again when we've got other, more interesting shit nobody's ever heard of.

Personally, if I were doing a rec list, it would be a "level" list. At the top, you'd start off with casual reading, stuff like Watchmen etc., and progress toward the bottom, where you'd find stuff like KFC Comics for the ones who've read enough comics to appreciate it. Like an RPG, where you start off as a filthy, disgusting casual and the end goal is to become a socially inept neckbeard.

You need to define worst, because there's comics that are "So Bad It's Good" and comics that are "So Bad It's Terrible".

It's a difference between reading a comic that makes you laugh at it and reading a comic that crushes your very soul.

A tier chart would be good. Everyone else has tier charts.

was storytimed a way back on halfchan
starts with him being an inter-dimensional art thief, I think you guys should read it.
if you want I can hunt down the comic and dump PDFs or just do a story time

I thought this was supposed to be a recommended list not a list "you probably haven't heard of"

also bikini cowboy

So this is what you want; a list for normalfags who want to get into comics?

It's not what this is supposed to be. We made this list with the unique comics that full/co/ specifically enjoys… So of course it's going to be full of obscure shit, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want
then just sift through the links in and form a collective opinion like any other normalfag would.

Why do casuals even matter? They can go read "casual" comics for all I care.

Would be way too big. Also extremely subjective because every person would see a certain comic in a different tier… We can't do that here.

What's the point? I don't mind making it but I don't really see the use.
Unless you're going for something like "list of comics you should avoid" but I don't see that working so well.

A storytime would be nice, but please do it in a different thread so this one doesn't derail… Would be a good chance for the other anons here to read it and say what they think.

I'd go against that notion, ending left a bad taste.

Hot Topic called, you're needed up front.

So I take it you guys don't have anything else you want to edit? Shall I post the finished list now? Last call.

not even jthm guy but this shit was underground long before the fucking zim retards got wind of it and it became mainstream

jonny is legit as fuck you ignorant fuck

this.

this too

Get some Lucifer on there.
It's not as well known as it's Hellblazer, Sandman or Swamp Thing siblings and it's damn good

alright, I'll start digging tonight

I see your point user but the /ss/ game insane

could we maybe do like /a/ does some times and give short blurbs about each comic?

nah it was just mallgoth lolsorandumb bullshit just like all of Vasquez's work.

foamy used to be underground too

Not a bad idea actually… I don't mind as long as the blurbs are written by Holla Forums itself.

alright storytiming

Punisher Max

That was interesting… But it's incomplete.
Let's see what the other anons here think.

Nice

You'll do fine.

I got all 15 but it's my work weekend so I'm kinda slow going on it
internet is kinda shitting itself too

Not to worry

Eh

alright finished storytiming

Never heard of it.

sounds like someone needs to storytime it

Let's devise a "worst comics" list.

Sure if you have it

Sorry but I don't think there will be more additions… All the spots on the list are filled and there really isn't anything worth replacing with any of these comics you anons mentioned.

Pic related is the list in full res. I'll keeping lurking in case something major needs to be changed.

Compressed

it looks pretty rad but that note at the bottom is kind of pointless imo.

Too many anons kept spouting the capeshit meme until one suggested I add a footnote about it… It's not that apparent though so don't worry about it.

I think its done

You've never even read his fucking work, normalfag. Jhonen is perpetually critical of goths and refuses to associate himself with them.

It would be pretty hard to place in unless a another column is made.

Vasquez hates his fans. He'll still take their money as long as they keep paying him to insult them.

Didn't he recently come to reconcile some of them?

I was actually suggestign the guy who posted it do it

this is terrible regardless of the chosen content

Sorry it's not an encyclopedia, Mr Librarian.

that's some weak bait man

its a shit list for a lot of reasons

you've got comics that don't span a year, so one would assume they are just that good.
comics that span decades but no info on them so nobody's gonna bother trying to pick it up.
no god damned context for any of them
hell, I haven't even heard of lone sloane, snotgirl, alien resident and witch doctor
and I only know Nikopol because of the liveaction/CG movie and the incal because of a webm an user made a ways back, and I bet some people are even less familiar with this list than I am so that lack of context is super shit

This list is garbage. What is this a troll thread?

it feels like that Holla Forums sings where the guy threw the song together with shit editing before everyone agreed it was good and everyone hated him and the song

Good evening, Holla Forumsmrades. I got some old stuff relevant to this thread. Cheerio.

A lot of people seem to like plus your kinda late on the bitching

Like what? I just had some old stuff in my folders and thought I'd share 'em. Other people can bitch if they want, I'm just contributing and leaving. Later.

these are some pretty nice lists, gonna keep em
where did these pop up? were some of them in the hydra thread?

You could have gave us a hand making it but you shitposted instead… Too little, too late.

Fuck if I remember, I saved most of them around 2010.

One user suggested we add blurbs but nobody contributed anything to that… Get me Holla Forums-written blurbs for all 20 comics and we'll talk.
What's wrong with that? You expected a list of nothing but shitty one-shots? You're seeing this as some super accessible entry level comic list when it's everything but.

Fuck right off

Snotgirl

that was me, I'm starting to think this is a board problem
I have already begun a long project on that tho as otherwise it wont get done

nothing wrong with decades long comics user
but without something to entice only people with time to kill are gonna go for it
I bet the incal is super fucking cool and I want to read it, but thats because an user posted this as a webm over a year ago in early exodus and fresh new wemb days

also, its a recommended list
it doesnt need to be entry level but we gotta do better than "Holla Forums thinks this is good"
some people here like shit like Steven Universe unironicly

Oh? Well kudos then. Bring it and I'll see what I can do.

Not exactly. This is more of a list of comics enjoyed by random individual Holla Forumsmrades, but not necessarily all of Holla Forums… Each user ITT suggested comics according to his taste and I picked randomly from all suggestions.

This is so that almost every user gets one of his favorite comics on the list, and the worthwhile niche stuff is brought to light.

this thread will die before I finish
I'm pretty much gonna have to read and storytime everything in this thread and I ain't got the month to drop on reading all that straight through, plus it would kill me

that's shit and you're shit
SHIT

No need, just upload everything to a MEGA folder and link here + on the sharethread.
I might even be able to do it myself if I have the time.

As I said, not your usual "best of" list… You know this board would never agree on one thing and a true "Holla Forums recommends" list would have been pretty much impossible. I say this is a good compromise.

I still gotta hunt that shit down, but it sounds like a good project for Holla Forums as a board
everyone having different tastes we don't have to tonally agree
we could make a nice big list like the webcomics list here
just segregate them by genre and the various perspectives will add up nicely, instead of trying to make an end all be all "Holla Forums" list
in fact we could devote a whole page to just capeshit, hell we could do one for marvel and one for DC

New thread when?

The list is finished fuck off

sauce plz

The Invader Zim fandom.

Oh neat.

Just google it, there's video all over youtube.

Now if only there were a webm of that.

Yeah

What good is that? A list picked by one guy, based on recommendations from other guys, all guided by the idea that we don't need to recommend things that are well-known…to people who already know about comics?

At this point its just mindless bitching.

Great Job everyone.

it's not mindless
we could have gotten something useful out of this to show off to other boards and now the whole thread just feels like wasted effort

Nah, your just autistic.

One last Worah before hitting 300

nah you're just a faggot

What the fuck are you even talking about

if it's Holla Forumss recommended comics, were probably recommending it to people who don't know comics
not to people that already know of the comics
so skipping shit Holla Forums knows would be a bad move

New thread