Best resources to learn C++

What is the best place to learn C++? I go to a tech school and the computer science degree is fucking awful. Im starting a game mod class next semester and the teacher uses the Quake engine to teach the class. He assumes everyone is a retard from the start but it would be nice to get an edge up on basic syntax and writing simple programs.

Other urls found in this thread:

isocpp.org/get-started
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cplusplus.com/reference/
en.cppreference.com/w/
coliru.stacked-crooked.com/
ideone.com/
isocpp.org/faq
stroustrup.com/C 11FAQ.html
icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_C++_Idioms
c-faq.com/
mycquiz.com/
mycppquiz.com/
cppquiz.org/
stackoverflow.com/
cplusplus.com/forum/
yosefk.com/c fqa/
anarchistturtle.com/quinn/C++-Critique-3ed.pdf
crypto.stanford.edu/~blynn/c/cpp.html
isocpp.org/blog/2014/12/five-popular-myths-about-c-bjarne-stroustrup
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /I_did_it_for_you_all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

isocpp.org/get-started

Learn C first

Thanks, will take a look after work

Are you being sarcastic or being serious? Im pretty much diving head first into coding.

C++ is C with extra stuff. Learning C first is pretty obvious.

I would get a firm grasp on the basics of C first. Then I suggest getting yourself a good book.

I would get a firm grasp on the basics of Assembler first. Then I suggest getting yourself a good book on C.

This.
You can't really do anything properly in C/C++ without basic knowledge of low level programming.

Here, bookmark the following sites:

Tutorial and References:
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cplusplus.com/reference/
en.cppreference.com/w/

Online compilers:
coliru.stacked-crooked.com/
ideone.com/

FAQs and How-To:
isocpp.org/faq
stroustrup.com/C 11FAQ.html
icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_C++_Idioms
c-faq.com/

Quizzes:
mycquiz.com/
mycppquiz.com/
cppquiz.org/

Asking for help:
stackoverflow.com/
cplusplus.com/forum/

Criticism of C++:
yosefk.com/c fqa/
anarchistturtle.com/quinn/C++-Critique-3ed.pdf
crypto.stanford.edu/~blynn/c/cpp.html

Recommended books:
Bjarne Stroustrup - The C++ Programming Language
Scott Meyers - Effective (Modern) C++
Herb Sutter - Exceptional C++ (Style)

Since you have to ask OP, hands down it's Bjarne's freshman text PPP2.
http: // stroustrup.com/Programming/

Probably the single best textbook for serious beginners wanting to learn programming regardless of language

no

You can't post here you're are ded.

isocpp.org/blog/2014/12/five-popular-myths-about-c-bjarne-stroustrup

TBH I wish he'd rewrite this to reflect C++17. But until we have concepts and modules probably not much point. Due to his age sadly the rewrite may never happen. Regardless this is still the single best freshman textbook on programming. Nothing else is even close.

Your Holla Forums is showing.

Concepts are already in the standard for C++20. Modules aren't in yet, but they're being pushed hard.

Bjarne disagreeing with me makes me confident I'm right.

Daily reminder that computer science is not a degree in computer programming. You should not assume that your computer science degree is the place to learn C++.

Why the leftist see Holla Forums everywhere?

retard

Go back to reddit child

Get the fuck out, nigger.

Get out.

Holla Forums is above petty politics, let's get back to C++ Heil Hitler

Does anyone have book recommendations for the latest standard?

I just go through the changes and poke at them, a book seems excessive. If you don't already know C++, you can use any material to learn it as the only modern feature I'd say you absolutely need to understand are move semantics.

Not a book, but if you already know the older standards you can always check the links marked C++11 or higher on these pages:
en.cppreference.com/w/
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language

consider suicide

Learn D or Go or Rust first. Even darned Rust is better than C++. Poverty is better than C++. We don't need more Qtfags

bloody yanks, shut up and start bullying C coders

No, this is a pure meme language and died long before hatechan even came to be. I have no idea why people are talking about it now.
imo it's another Ruby and will be forever niche webdev shit. Wouldn't waste time on it until you have a job offer that needs it.
It's a trainwreck. Wait and see if they manage to salvage it.
Ha, no. C++ is no worse than C as it's mostly a superset, it's up to the programmer (and the guy writing the coding standards) to avoid fucking it up.

I'm a C and C++ coder, I'll bully who I want. I bet you'd like that wouldn't you, qt.

>cplusplus.com/reference/
Dont use this, it has some wrong information.
Use en.cppreference.com/w/ only

Everyone (>99%) is a retard. Welcome to reality, you want to become great at something, no one is going to be able to give you what you want. To learn it from scratch... fuck I don't know, you're on your own. But the book "Effective Modern C++" by Scott Meyers is quite good for someone wanting to learn specifically about C++11 and C++14. I first learned C++11, that's what most people should do. You won't use the C++14 features, and the next one back in time is C++03, which lacks many very useful things.

No.

You don't know shit. Don't listen to this fuck.

School is just a stepping stone for many, and where they are introduced to the existence of computer science and programming. It is neither a requirement, nor sufficient to become a great programmer and great problem solver

Retards will never know the wisdom contained in "old" (timeless) books because they consider themselves "too-good for that".

I was writing C++ code before you were born, user. Listen to your elders.

I do occasionally use auto return types, generic lambdas and binary literals.

CLASSIC READ
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /I_did_it_for_you_all

no

no
it's made with C++
stop