Trisquel Thread

What do you think of this distro? It's basically Ubuntu that has been stripped of proprietary software so that Stallman and the FSF officially endorse it.

Should I care about "libre" stuff enough to download this? Or should I just go with Ubuntu or Debian? I've never even heard of this before going to the GNU website so I probably won't waste my time dicking around with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maintaining all this libre stuff is important, but not for the reason freetos think it is. Eventually the powers that be are going to come after general purpose computing and open communication, and so it will be critical to have all this stuff in reserve and at the ready.

Until then, though, using it is just autistic.

It has an active community and a helpful forum. It wouldn't hurt to try it out, given that you have the right hardware for it.

suporting ubuntu is supporting amazon. i've used ubuntu, debian and trisquel and i can say that debian is best because it supports nonfree hardware but only if you install it yourself.

Should I use Devuan then? It's basically Debian stripped of systemd.

i don't know, if you have a problem with systemd you are free to make your own decisions.

Poettering sucks so I don't like systemd.

It's as petty as that.

poettering dindu nuffin

Trisquel is maintained by some random guy who works for FSF, during his spare time. Your support consists of a bunch of snobs on Trisquel's forum. 7.0 is showing its age. 8.0 has been in "Alpha" for months. I say use Deuvan, has a deblobbed kernel, or deblob Gentoo. Or see if you can do systemd-free Parabola. Trisquel is just stale.

Just use Debian. Everything eventually comes back to Debian and RHEL for real work.

You can avoid systemd in Debian as-is, Debian keeps it optional. I'm using stretch on our embedded system and use sysvinit because the bloat of systemd is unreal and I've got a 256MiB size limit.

I tried to use systemd, though. Storytime from the trenches?
I figure if I'm taking the full load of poz I need to remove redundancy to keep the size down. So, I start with using systemd-networkd rather than traditional network management. So I look for how to take an interface down since we run a bunch of cellular cards that can eat each other's channels and need toggled. There isn't a way! There's literally a networkctl that cannot 'ctl' anything. What the fuck. So I have to install the traditional stuff but there's no way to remove systemd-networkd even though I'm not using it. Great..
Next was power management. We run our case buttons via ACPI like everyone else and systemd seems to take over that role but it doesn't work. Looking into why, for who knows what reason it requires dbus even though it's not listed as a dependency, which is like 10MiB of total shit that needs installed only for this as dbus is worthless (yes, I've tried using it to replace some of our IPC, I have experience with how badly designed it is). So now I've got acpid instead and no way to remove the redundant functionality from systemd as the ACPI handling turns out to be one of many seemingly random jobs systemd-logind has been given.
Next was systemd-timesyncd. This is just total garbage - a SNTP client on Linux! The shit we made fun of Windows for, why the fuck would anyone use this rather than ntpd? SNTP isn't all that much more than prettier name for rdate and isn't anything like NTP. We require accurate timing and drift correction so ntpd it is, and now we're stuck with an unused systemd-timesyncd.
I was hoping to use systemd-nspawn for a debugging jail (the customer can ssh to a restricted shell that has tcpdump and other utilites) but the -x option actually requires btrfs although that's not mentioned.. btrfs is a joke so that's out and I have to build my own with overlay (we have a real filesystem for various reasons instead of squashfs). More useless systemd baggage.
This is where I just gave up on it. It's in need of people that can go through and debloat it. There's some good stuff there but it's tangled up in a huge mass of worthless junk.

I really want to try it but I can't due to my X200 not having a libre wifi card and I don't know where to get one. also I still need to libreboot it but that's a very confusing and tedious process so I might just buy one that's been librebooted.

well, by "try it" I mean a fully libre system.
I don't care if it's parabola, trisquel, debian (I always have to add non-free to the repo so my wifi works)

It's not that hard to flash Libreboot.
Anyway, you could meanwhile use a nano usb wifi adapter that works with free drivers.

I use an "Atheros AR9285" card with my x200 that I flashed to Libreboot. You can buy a pack of 2 of those for 10$ on ebay, aliexpress..
Unfortunately, it won't work with Lenovo bios, unless you flash a custom stock bios with whitelist removed for example. So you better flash libreboot / coreboot.

The ONLY computer I had that just werked with ANY of the FSF endorsed distros out of the box was an old Acer Chromebook with SeaBIOS and it wasn't even Triquel that worked, it was Parabola. Is Trisquel still years behind Ubuntu/Debians codebase? The one thing I did like about Parabola was that it was always up to date

TL;DR systemd is cancer

Think smart user.
I use trisquel, it's more likely to help normies GTFO of the botnet.
It helped me understanding hardware and basically I haven't touched hardware that isn't compatible.
Besides amd gpu the most probable non compatible hardware is intel/qualcom wifi.
Which can get easily replaced by any usb wifi or miniPCI adapter (if there's no whitelist)
See:
Aka forcing yourself to use free hardware and not surrendering yourself to the proprietary/drm monopoly helps more free hardware appear.

Seriously ?

yes

agreed.
But know that systemd imposed itself on debian and it strangely imposed itself on other packages.

Correction
Poettering is known to have made horrible piece of code so systemd is likely to be flawed.

Aka Ruben Rodriguez one of the many people who opposed the madness of Francis Rowe.

Proof or GTFO

True but it works

Works but needs some polishing (actually using it)

If it was that easy to remove the non-free parts a lot of distro would be on the FSF list.
There's not only the kernel, there's also the cancer that ubuntu added via for example printers/scanners.
You also have to remove every piece of non free software and find a replacement for example virtualbox uses a non-free compiler now so it was replaced with KVM/Quemu.
And many more.

Please user you can use literally any distro for your work has long you have enough knowledge.

And that's why it took devuan two years to remove it completely :^)

The distros are up to date if that's what you're asking.
But they need to be polished that's all.

Is it a fidget spinner?

So yes, Canonical takes Debian, adds a bunch of non free software to it and releases it as Ubuntu; and then this guys come to remove the nonfree software and release it as a different distro.
This distro is redundant. They could achieve the same thing by using Debian Stable/Next Stable with official repositories only and removing the "install X nonfree driver" screen during installation.
Trisquel's development is stalled because They don't have enough developers to do all the work it takes to remove nonfree packages from Ubuntu. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, I'll just go with Devuan.

.... no i cant user, i agree with 100% FSF shit but i cant stand POESHIT

the guy that founded the project is such an insufferable cunt though.

(che-che-checked)
Them dubs of truth.
Problem is user that Trisquel still uses systemd.
Hopefully someone will unPoe the Distribution.

I won't use a distro unless it is FLOSPS (Free, Libre and Open Source Poettering-free Software).
Go away you freedom hating communist who advocates for FLOSS.

he really is a fucking faggot and SJW, stay well away

What's wrong with him?

That's a hobo

So is Terry Davis now.

No, because Terry Davis is a white man.

Im using just this recently as my first linux OS (from a virtual machine). Cant say much, because its my first distro, but for the looks for it, Its a good distro overrall. Good to know I choose well.