Sonic Comics & Cartoons General

Since the other thread is pretty much dead, I figured now would be a good time to post this new one. Feel free to discuss/argue about Sonic Comics and Cartoons.

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/archie-sonic-comics
8ch.net/co/res/779954.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I hope they run with that.

Art imitates reality :^)

So, have they confirmed the comic's cancellation?
And if so, do you think Flynn will do an unofficial continuation anyway like he was doing for the storyline that got dropped because of the reboot?

Are the comics anything more than autistic fan fiction

no

Wait, Sorass is real? Panic, panic!

Relax, it's just Naugus in disguise.

Speaking of Naugus, what the fuck is that guy? He looks like a miniature cyclops from sinbad only he has two eyes.

Where's a graham cracker when you need one?

"I'm SORASS… and I'm about to give you a SORE ASS!"

The cancellation rumors have been disconfirmed. They recently released previews for the latest issues.

I hate the fact that people hated the Shadow the Hedgehog game. It's the perfect end for Shadow's edginess. It's basically Shadow discovering himself.
Sadly, there's really no canon ending to the game, but I believe it's a combination of all and dropping some more. Obviously he cannot kill Eggman because, well, he was alive after that.

I must admit, I haven't read an archie comic yet, but judging for a few pics, it seems that they went with the Shadow after finding himself. But if that were true, then him being emotional or having insecurities it's pointless.

For what it's worth, people hate ow the edgehog because of shit like "muh 4kids", 'Guns in sonic is retarded" and the fact that the game is buggy as fuck.

Have they ever directly acknowledged Cream and Bunnie are both rabbits? Both rabbits with their own cultural design sensibilities?

The canon ending is the unlockable ending, which supposedly takes place after one of the non-character death endings (Let's just say the "All good" ending). Also, the story is a mess, but that tends to happen when a company rushes to lower a game's content for a new rating.

As far as the comics, Shadow and Knuckles are always looking for a reason to fight each other in the new universe. And, things were not helped when Shadow tried to take the emerald to a G.U.N. base after finding out that Eclipse (Shadow's…cousin, to put it one way) crash landed on Angel Island.

He's a troll.

I loved it when Grimdark The Edgehog cocked an MP5 like it had a pump action. KA-CHUNK!

>>>/k/

I think Shadow could just have been "Slightly slower sonic with Guns". It would have been pretty good, and it was solved in '06, removing the guns and replacing it with those things he shot and making the aiming better. Shame '06 had a terrible story but a marginally better gameplay.

They were trying to exploit a gimmick, the points the multiple stories hit are pretty interesting, though.
I hate that kind of relationship on characters, but I can actually see that happening with Shadow and Knuckles. But I think it would be more fitting for them to just ignore each other.

What Epic Mickey was trying to be?

How did I not make this connection.

Not that kind of Gimmick, more like the multiple routes with multiple endings gimmick. It was probably because lack of time and bugged, but it was a terrible decision nonetheless.

It was lack of time. Originally, Shadow was going to be a Teen rated game, and the developers had made the game with that in mind. Near the final development stages, ESRB dropped the "E10" rating, and, for some reason, the developers were then rushed to tone down everything to meet the new rating, while still finishing off the game.

underrated post

I find it hilarious. I think a lot of the deal is basically a transposing of Knuckles and Sonic's former rivalry. (They used to come to blows all the time before Shadow was introduced) Shadow is a lot like Sonic without the social skills and friendliness, and even more ego.

Basically they're two lonely dorks with poor social skills, a sense of territoriality and used to being mocked by everyone else. Either they're going to ignore each other or get in a fight.

They aren't confirmed or unconfirmed at all. Archie still has made no statements regarding the subscription issue and release dates are clearly not fully set for the upcoming issues right now.

So it's basically dead in the water, unless someone from Sega states otherwise.

It's in a weird coma state until Archie says something officially on the matter.

Believe it or not, Shadow wasn't the first one to use guns in this franchise. Though Fang could probably get away with it due to having the cowboy theme going for him.

Sonic and Knuckles still have a rivalry though. It's just labeled as a "friendly" rivalry nowadays since it's not as intense as wanting to kill each other. >I think a lot of the deal is basically a transposing of Knuckles and Sonic's former rivalry.

As far as Rivals go, Sonic has Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Jet and Metal Sonic.

You forgot Blaze, his alternate universe counterpart.

They get along pretty well though, with the misunderstanding out of the way.

Weirdly enough, being a princess and having a thing about having to be responsible for her kingdom and a clearly isolated upbringing, she kinda combines traits of Sonic, Sally and Knuckles. …have we had Blaze meet Sally? I bet they'd get along scarily well.

I was considering adding her on the list of Sonic's rivals, but she wasn't listed as such on the Sonic Wiki. Besides, Blaze (along with Marine) can be considered part of Silver's cast herd. Like how the Chaotix associate with Knuckles and how Shadow spends most of his time hanging out with Rouge and Omega.

No, not yet. Actually, Blaze hasn't met anyone outside of the game characters (Both before and after the universe reset), unless you count the swatbots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Eggman outright say it during the final boss?

Oh look another general.

That doesn't mean anything. All of the story from the beginning of the first level to the "True Ending" story is determined by the player.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have to backtrack on what I said earlier about the story being a huge mess. One of the unique things about the story mode is that one path does not give you the entire story. To do that, you have to play through all of the different possible outcomes to get a complete picture of it.

And, now that I say that, I'll also have to give Shadow credit for being one of the better games that uses a morality system. Instead of following every other title that has the smallest of changes made based on your decision (With all of the endings essentially being anti-climactic to all of what you just did), the game goes in the opposite end of the spectrum and makes drastic changes based on your decisions. It takes the whole "What if?" question to an extreme manner.

>gets it right back because the actual plot of the episode is about Knuckle's lack of a family
Is there a cartoon in the history of cartoons that is as genius as Sonic Boom?

I'm kinda wondering, does Flynn have an ending in mind for any of this? Because a lot of plot points keep coming and going in every arch that it's starting to get really annoying.

Arguably, Flynn gets a pass because he's trying to rebuild an entire universe after the results of Penders' actions.

After all, he still hasn't addressed what happened to Zonic, Fiona Fox, and numerous other characters.

I don't think he can, because Penders is a nitpicky fuck who throws a bitch fit over anything involving his characters.

Its pretty cliche

Seriously, fuck Penders for destroying the old universe over his characters that were essentially either Knuckles recolors or his own fan characters.

It also pisses me off about how incompetent Archie was about protecting Sega's legal property when they should've totally wiped the floor with that manchild known as Penders.

If they had just kept copies of the contract he signed, that would've shut him up for good. Now he's trying to make money off a comic book series full of characters who are totally not just Sonic fan characters.

What makes this guy's mind tick? Can someone please psychoanalyze Penders' mind so we can figure out why he's such a loser?

What happened is that they were erased from history. When the Super Genesis Wave hit, all of reality was rewritten in a rushed manner, due to Eggman interrupting Super Sonic's concentration. They never existed to the point where they technically weren't erased, even though they technically were.

>SOREASS

Oh, they had copies. The problem was exactly that though, they were copies, as in xeroxs of his contract. Archie's lawyers advised them not to present it as evidence because they didn't want to set what they saw as a dangerous precedent.

Add to that Sega breathing down their necks for them to settle and you get the situation.

How the hell would putting forth xerox copies of his contract set a dangerous precedent? Where they afraid that people would cheat the system by forging fake contracts in order to get what they want? Because when you take Penders' bullshit claims of owning derivative characters and concepts that where clearly inspired by a well known brand into account, it should've been an open and shut case.

Exactly

They don't have the originals, they can't prove they didn't forge it

No, you dumbass, that's the joke, and not just that, it was a fakeout

I gotta be honest I saw Pender's bitchfit as a good thing, since so much of the comics was a fucking mess. Game characters had really stupid backgrounds that really fucked up their characters and there was tons of unnesesary OC characters and plot elements, and no, it wasn't going anywhere so it's not like you missed anything. It's a licenced comic, it doesn't have an end. It will keep going as long as SEGA renews the license, and when they stop doing it they're not actually gonna make an end to it, because when they do it they'll rather just cancel it and leave it hanging giving whoever's in charge at the time no time to come up with an ending.

Thats one way of taking it.

I classify the pre-reboot comics as eras. And most of those eras sucked, so I don't consider it a great loss. And yet the comic had started so innocent and simple, then it turned into Pender's echidna wankfest star trek fanfiction, then when he left for a while it tured into overly serious furry drama, court politics and the overral fuckery that was western comics at the time, and then for a big while it went from furry drama to furry highschool drama of the worst kind and terrible art. And Flynn's first five or so year felt like bad Sonic fanfiction, down to edgy recolors and all. The final arc was pretty rushed and poorly planned out too, you could say it's the fault of the reboot giving no time for Flynn to pull it out but even then, what we had so far was pretty bad. It's not that I hate all the comic though, it's just that out of those 250 or so issues only 20% is good or worth reading, and even much less is truly great. But that's the problem when you have such a long running series that passed through different writers and eras all of who had different plans and visions of the world and characters. Basically, the reboot feels like a much needed cleanup, even though it's pretty boring most of the time.

Fleetway Sonic > Archie Sonic

Yeah tbh. Although, the Fleetway art creeped the fuck out of me sometimes for some reason, it at least had a better planned story and didn't become an autismo fest by issue 20 like Archie did.

Yeah, I agree on the reboot being a good thing. They should keep the original comic character numbers to the bare minimum. If they want to add more characters, just stick with characters from the video games, AoStH, SatAM, Underground, OVA, X and/or Boom before they bring out the donut steels.

They already got Breezie from AoStH, the comic originally was a continuation of SatAM, Sara from the OVA cameoed in issue 101 (Due to alternate reality tampering, unknown if she may come back), X and Boom already existed as their own comics that did crossover with the main series (And, Sega specifically told them to never bring up X ever again). So, the only things they haven't touched yet is Underground or any of the manga.

As far as game characters, they can haven't used "some/all" of the characters from any of the games beginning with SA1.

Just wait till Archie gets canned

Anyone who doesn't like Sonic Comics, go read Sonic Comics until you stop having zero taste in good comics. My opinion is not better than yours, but these comics are literally Jesus Christ the Hedgehog incarnate so you should be praising them or you may be considered a heathen.

I made the entry for this on KnowYourSHIT available here: knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/archie-sonic-comics

God damn Hastings closed so now I can't buy these pieces of beauty.

Okay, lets say that hypothetically, Sega transfers the rights to either IDW or some other comic company. Would they continue where the post-Penders reboot left off or they just start from scratch? Would they bring along the DiC created characters with them?

God the spergs in those comments are a great example of why KYM is a cancerous hellhole and Archiefags are the worst kind of Sonic fags.

No and no. Too complicated. The FF might make it trought. The rest? No chance. I think if SEGA really took that decision they would have no reason to bring any of the DiC or Comic OCs with them. Their story is pretty done as it is and although they supposedly own teh license to all these characters they have no interest in promoting them since they have no intent of putting them in games.

I guess if they moved to a new publisher, they would start from scratch and focus on main game characters. So even guys like Mighty, Ray and Fang might only get short cameos.

I want to now play an adventure styled game where Sally, Antoine, Bunnie, and Rotor are playable characters alongside Sonic and Tails of course. If Sega put effort into it the game could be good.

I could only see Bunnie doing that tbh, what with her having the robotic parts. Rotor has his gadgets but I don't think he has enough of a variety to make it that fun. Antoine has swordplay and Sally is just acrobatic I guess, plus a gauntlet sword.

What do you mean by the rest? Honestly, I can see characters from the AoStH/SatAM/Underground trio surviving a potential switch to a new publisher while whatever remaining Comic OCs get axed.

But then again, some people are speculating that the Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline might become something like IDW Sonic or Bongo Sonic according to one user in this thread: 8ch.net/co/res/779954.html

Add in Nicole and you've got yourself a deal on my end.

I could see Antoine, Bunnie and Rotor forming a Sonic Heroes "speed-flight-power"style team in that respective order. Sally and Nicole would be a Speed Type and Flight Type respectively. Don't know who their Power Type member would be.

Then there's the deal with Muttski, Lupe and Dulcy being the only characters from SatAM that are within Sonic's age group. (The other one would be Vanilla's age group, which would contain the likes of Uncle Chuck, King Acorn and Rosie Woodchuck.)

sorta wish the narrative was a bit more polished, and more convoluted.

I can see the core Freedom Fighters passing. They are the iconic image of Archie comics, but no one really cares about anyone else and neither does SEGA, so they wouldn't make it through. So only Sally, Rotor, Antoine, Bunnie and Nicole.

They had cameos in Sonic Spinball, but that's pretty much it. AoStH at least had a whole puzzle game reskin themed around it.

I still think they would take in more than just the core freedom fighters. The way I see it, any character that was created by Sega or DiC is safe. So I guess we'll agree to disagree.

I consider them more the iconic image of SatAM since that's their medium of origin. Like how the dumb robot trio are iconic to AoStH, Sonic's siblings are iconic to Underground, Princess Sara and (maybe) Old Man Owl are iconic to the Sonic OVA, Cosmo is iconic to Sonic X and Sticks is iconic to Sonic Boom.

Something iconic from Archie Sonic would have to be something like one of those more well received or popular pre-reboot OCs or something I don't know.

The company that has The Simpsons and SpongeBob licenses?

I was listing alternatives to IDW off the top of my head since I know that anons here hate the SJW policies of IDW. Even though Archie itself is full of SJWs and Sega has a tight grip on its properties in order to maintain their image.

Scourge? He's the most popular Archie OC. But it's literally just because of his design, because he was written terribly and his poorly planned arc didn't help. Bit Scourge is dead after all, since Penders kind of created him when he made Anti-Sonic. I don't see any of the comic only characters making it seeing as how most of them were already scrapped anyway.

Is there any official word?

What about White Knuckles?

Scourge was pretty fun in being basically 'Sonic, but even more of an asshole', as well an an increasingly insecure dickhole trying to seperate himself from his good-two-shoes counterparts, hence becoming a parody of Deviantart OCs.

Sega doesn't want any characters not made by then involved in the game, because they're lazy with licensing, and only have the game rights for them in the USA, I think. (hence why Sonic Spinball could have Archie/SatAM cameos; also why Sega throws a fit at any reference to the OVA)

That's Pender's too. All Echidnas except Knuckles and Tikal are Pender's. He loves dem Echidnas.

But he wasn't a parody of edgy deviantart OCs, he was played straight. Which was the problem, and the rest of the Antis sucked. It's a decent concept and the designs (well some of them) were alright but the execution sucked. Really, almost all fans of Scourge only like him because of his design and the idea of an edgy badass Sonic.

Now about SEGA. Technically they own the rights to all comic characters as part of contracts Archie supposedly provided to the writers. But Penders said he never signed such thing, and when Archie tried to present evidence they brought a shitty copy of the contract that didn't hold up on court. Apparently they lost the original contract on a fucking fire or something. That was Archie that fucked up big time, not SEGA. SEGA really just doesn't give a shit about the comic. If they did they wouldn't have allowed Archie to get away with so much shit. The Penders lawsuit was like a wake up call, like a "Holy shit don't let these idiots get us into this mess again" so SEGA and Archie still have some tension. But really, it's Archie's fault and that's why I feel it would be a good thing if SEGA actually switched publishers and actually put more effort into watching over the comic and it's writers.

Finitevus is Bollers's character. Bollers has also made statements saying Archie would have to pay him for his characters to be used again, though.

I've heard that Bollers had no interest in suing though? Regardless, someone else is suing Archie's Sonic right now. Fullop I heard. So yet another lawsuit, and over minor shit like "The Sword of Acorns" a minor plot device that is barely a character. See this is why the comic's days are numbered. Because stupid stuff like this keeps happening. SEGA might just dump the whole thing at this point.

I thought "Sonic, but even more of an asshole" was Grimdark The Edgehog, I mean Shadow's shtick.

Shadow is nothing at all like that. He's not really like Sonic too. And Sonic's not really an asshole in the era Shadow was created. Shadow is actually pretty gentle and passive after he got his memories back.

Yes, I believe that's the joke.

It's funny
lol

Them trolls really is annoying

Comic Shadow is actually played pretty well, he's a pretty relaxed person who's come to terms with his nature, but still stubborn and grumpy when pushed. He actually kinda has more in common with Knuckles personality-wise. (hence the clash over stubbornness)

Dude needs some hobbies.