Onion Pi Router

How well does this work to protect privacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-SBCAP3350-rev-10#ov
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
web.archive.org/web/20170801202136/http://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html
torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhatProtectionsDoesTorProvide
torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#warning
youtube.com/watch?v=N2ChhZcH2ok#t=23m51s
gnunet.org/sites/default/files/NET-2015-02-1.pdf
gnunet.org/sites/default/files/herrmann2011mt.pdf
gnunet.org/bibliography
infotropique.org/about/code-of-conduct/
thehackernews.com/2015/07/high-speed-anonymous-network.html
studymode.com/essays/Phantom-Anonymity-Protocol-1811102.html
defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/defcon-16-brading.pdf
defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/brading/defcon-16-brading-wp.pdf
magnusbrading.com/phantom/phantom-implementation-paper.pdf
torproject.org/dist/tor-0.3.0.10.tar.gz)
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not well at all.

Tor is compromised

Yes goy! tor is compromised! abandon the deepweb and accept surveillance! surely this psyop doesn't weaken tor by providing less nodes

lol trolled

Bamboozled again :((

☻/ This is bob. Copy and paste him so he can take over youtube.
/▌
/\

Terrible, it cross contaminates identities and runs unencrypted stuff over tor. Use VPN and then tor for applications individually (stream isolation)

good thing i use the tor meme to get rss feeds, i bet you're not a cool dude like me

Let me clarify some Tor myths.

It is, by poor design decisions and degenerate developers who use magic maths as reasons.
Less users =/= less nodes
The last hop is in the clear if the destination is not using encryption, be it a website or a person.

If you need a real new identity:
sudo su
killall tor
rm /var/lib/tor/*

Why not just stream isolation?

pick one

there is literally an onion site dedicated to exposing insecure exit nodes. how are you this retarded? I sure hope you're using it

RPI is developed by SJW but any sane person can use it's hardware for different reasonable purposes. As far as i know, there are no known backdoors inside that machine, although i wouldn't trust my network security as OP suggests, at least not before carefuly studying each and every part of this piece of hardware and the wifi plug and even then i have my doubts.

Stop doing that, you're promoting botnet.
Also, see: fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

Thank you for your idiotic opinion again, Agent Fud.

You're insane.

Or, if that person has any moral compass whatsoever, he/she can buy another board to perform the same task, just to not give support to RPi foundation.
(RPi Zero is an exception because they're selling these at a loss, that's why the camera connector cable is like $6)

Is it better to have fewer nodes with fast processors and 1GbE+ or many nodes with anemic processors and 100bT networking capabilities? Can a Raspberry Pi even work as a Tor node without choking?

Post it then

Thanks for the link and insight.
I have a few RPIs doing certain (mostly offline) tasks. It is safe if it is offline. Although i'm starting to look like a fanatic or a shill. Just disconnect them from the net or avoid them until there is a free alternative (like pic?)

Have you guys seen this? It's much more capable although I'm sure it will be much more expensive by the time you add mSATA and DDR3 SO-DIMM.
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-SBCAP3350-rev-10#ov

Pi is proprietary-ware. Use an open source board, or code your own FPGA
I would also suggest IPFS or I2P instead of Tor. Tor is almost normie fashionware = pozzed af.

All the RPI's are boot locked and the gpu is botneted.
It not safe.
The safest/most libre pcb hardware is the eoma68 libre tea computer card.
For hardware that can be trusted just look at the RYF certified hardware from the FSF
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

The hardware bootloader is locked
The gpu driver is non-free/libre.
And allwinner persecutes anyone who tries to do a Free/libre GPU driver.
web.archive.org/web/20170801202136/http://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Tor is only good for one thing, browsing the web ad sharing small file via specific protocols.
But tor is the biggest network that exist atm.
IPFS is trash lack features from Gnunet and shouldn't be used.
I2P is java trash and lacks features from Gnunet.

Yes there are different use cases for the protocols, but OP was discussing privacy not use case.

It doesn't have enough power to do much packet processing. If you're just letting the hardware do routing that's one thing, but pulling packets into userspace and decrypting them will throttle you hard.
I don't know why people buy these things as you can get used cellphones that support custom firmware builds for like $10 off eBay and have an incredible array of sensors, a LCD, battery, much faster processor, way more ram, multiple radios, etc.. It's really taking advantage of the influx of posers into tech who will run a python script on it, put it on their resume, and never touch it again.

Tor protects you as far as IP anonymity can protect you.
The Tor Browser Bundle helps using Tor for anonymous web browsing.

Please read torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhatProtectionsDoesTorProvide

Please read torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#warning
Tor does not protect you unencrypted traffic.
But neither does your VPN, nor your ISP or the IXP youtube.com/watch?v=N2ChhZcH2ok#t=23m51s

It doesn't. Configuring different username/password in the SOCKS5 proxy settings will tell Tor to use different identity for that app.

it's shit. just install a proper OS and set it up yourself with iptables or some similar shit

your asshole is compromised

Insane is using (c/n)2 as an argument.

Tor was never really designed to be resilient against global adversaries like the NSA.
Which get me thinking, have there been any theoretical work on an anonymity network that does? It must be possible, the government isn't perfect. Truecrypt/Veracrypt done properly is still an unsolvable problem for them.

GnuNET is secure against global adversaries since it sends cover traffic, and you can get literal "7 layers of proxies" anonymity.

Isn't this the one where everybody shares the network load?
I remember a lot a valid attacks against this one, with the latest one being you could find the original provider of a file using just one node.
I was talking about theoretical papers & algorithms. Current anonymization networks are not adequate against someone like the NSA.

Of course anyone with the power of the NSA would break most systems, especially if they use all of their resources towards grabbing a single individual.
What is your opinion on I2P? Personally I think it is one of the better decentralization systems that are going around.

That was Freenet.

True enough. When I mean "NSA-proof", I'm mostly talking about the warrantless wiretapping that happens everywhere, and anything they can do in that regard. There, a well designed anonymous network can foil their plans.

It seems like it's a good idea, but from what I've read its design exposes a critical flaw.
Unlike Tor, which creates "tunnels" of traffic and routes entire connections, I2P creates tunnels for packets, and randomly sends those packets around the network until they reach their final destination. This means, the bigger the network, the greater the overhead and the slower everything gets.
It doesn't help that it's coded in Java, which not only gets memory hungry, but also has regular zero-day exploits for the JVM (or at least the last that I've heard).

That's freenet

ok
gnunet.org/sites/default/files/NET-2015-02-1.pdf
gnunet.org/sites/default/files/herrmann2011mt.pdf
gnunet.org/bibliography

On another note a group of people have decided to make a tail/heads version of gnunet, the problem is that they endorse the cancer that are CoCs
infotropique.org/about/code-of-conduct/ worse than that it's the Contributor covenant
Aka infotropique doesn't know it but it's already dead.jpg

Nice meme

gay

Ok, that would be it.

Started reading it and topkek they're Amish-level prudish.

Generally speaking, from my experience it seems that most projects started by the GNU foundation die or get stale, because they're more political than technical.

When you think about it, politics are inherently anti-technology and anti-meritocracy. The only thing that matters in softrware is functionality and performance. Who made it, why they made it, what non-real license is attached to it, none of that matters one little bit. Using software that performs poorly simply because it has a license you like is the equivalent of hiring a nigger simply because he has colored skin.

The RPi's been suspected of botnet for a long time.

Wasn't it largely funded by other agencies that were fed up with their shit?

░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████] / ▌ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤ / \ Youtube if you are with us

No I think it was funded to provide anonymous networking for the Navy. The thinking was, if normies use it then the adversary can't tell who on the network is the government and who are regular citizens.

Then, our government became the adversary.

Name a better alternative to the raspi

Depending on the task, beaglebone, arduino, or BananaPi could solve your needs.
Although i agree they aren't "better".
Someone should start doing an alternative for Pi but with open hardware and drivers.

Why are you so butthurt about Terry? The poor guy just needs to cut out the budweiser and he'll be fine.

Even gayer than

Wasn't that the nanoPi?

Hornet comes to mind thehackernews.com/2015/07/high-speed-anonymous-network.html
There was another one suggested a few years back that sounded incredible, I think it was some grad's phd thesis. I forget the name of it now which is a shame since I remember it being like Tor on steroids.

Found it. It's called Phantom.

>studymode.com/essays/Phantom-Anonymity-Protocol-1811102.html

Yes goy! This shit made by the Navy and DARPA with nodes controlled by the government that communicates by standards set by the said government is totally secure!

17 shekels have been deposited into your account

Thanks, that one looks good.
After researching it, HORNET seems to have some interesting take on anonymity networks, but it doesn't seem to change things up too much.

It's still an onion network, but it's faster because nodes don't maintain network path state. Instead, all the info is stored in the header of the packets, making the network speed faster but at the expense of huge packets (~300 bytes per pack iirc, as opposed to Tor's 80 bytes & regular packets at ~20 bytes).

I can't seem to find much research into anything else other than onion protocols though.

I couldn't access the full document, so I'll look around a little more for stuff about it.

This single board comp page needs updating, it is 2015.

So are the Allwinner Axx based boards safe otherwise, if you're not using the GPU?
So what is common to all Allwinner platforms? Only the GPU?

defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/defcon-16-brading.pdf presentation
defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/brading/defcon-16-brading-wp.pdf whitepaper (the one linked)
magnusbrading.com/phantom/phantom-implementation-paper.pdf written by someone else who implemented it

AllWinner SoCs are in Cubie/Chip/Olimex single boards. Allwinner uses ARM's Mali GPU. ARM is the one that goes apeshit when people try to reverse engineer Mali. Allwinner just uses GPL software without mentioning or releasing changes to code. Raspberry Pi has always used Broadcom SoCs. VC4, which is the GPU included in all of these boards, is Broadcoms. There is an upstream driver for VC4 in the linux kernel. The only issue remaining for the Raspberry Pi was having an open bootloader which is currently being worked on.

Thanks, that last one is just the kind of shit I like reading

(you)

It's Tor, not TOR. But I'm intrigued and ready to read your evidence. You will need to post:

1. Tor source code from the current stable version of the software (0.3.0.10, here, I'll even give you a link: torproject.org/dist/tor-0.3.0.10.tar.gz) that deliberately compromises the software or the network.
2. Evidence that this particular/these particular piece(s) of source code were written by, or committed at the behest of, intelligence agencies.

We await your source code analysis and evidence of the origin of any malicious code.

BTW, how's the weather in Maryland today?

There are .onion git hosts.

What's a good alternative to the raspi?

Orange Pi, Banana Pi (can be cheaper or more expensive but always have better price to performance)
ODroid (usually more expensive, more powerful)

Banana Pi is a meme

Your only changing out the human interface side. The baseband/radio/sim firmware is all completely locked down and out of your control. You really have no idea whats going on that side of the phone.

Fucking this
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
Don't wanna shill too bad but it is about as close as anyone today can get to libre hardware

Tor is compromised

Do NOT use anything else as they may be compromised too. Browse onions without tor for full privacy.

Tor is NOT compromised.