Livepost!!!!

yo guys check out livepost, my open source project

it's a completely live chan/chat hybrid, with live image posting

it also works well as a communication device, with dings and notifications, and you can run your own on Linux with Mongo and Amber

just added today, among other things, compression for the live images. this made it faster and allowed for sending larger images

check the git commits for other improvements

source: github.com/mixflame/livepost

live demo: livepost.mixflame.com/

contribute: come talk to us in irc.rizon.net #livepost and we'll help you out

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/emgram769/livechan-js
github.com/mixflame/livepost/issues
blog.seraum.com/crystal-lang-vs-nodejs-vs-golang-vs-http-benchmark
pieroxy.net/blog/pages/lz-string/index.html
github.com/kostya/benchmarks
livepost.mixflame.com
$host$request_uri;
livepost.mixflame.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aren't we already live posting
Literally what is the point of this.

I fucking hate this bullshit in chats and it doesn't promote privacy.

we don't do the typing thing.

livepost is more live than Holla Forums because it uses websockets instead of autorefresh

also, we avoid SQL and your images are never uploaded anywhere but your node

working on adding SSL and end-to-end encryption soon

it's like IRC + chan + IM basically

also it's fast because it's compiled instead of ruby/php scripts

You type like a pajeet from reddit, no thanks.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me. I'm very busy coding. The project itself isn't bad and I hope you'll try it.

So you just reinvented Livechan but with custom boards and less polish?
github.com/emgram769/livechan-js

It looks like the projects are very similar though I hadn't heard of Livechan before.

Some differences:
* Ours is compiled and therefore faster than node.js
* No CAPTCHA on our site by design
* We have custom boards like you said
* LivePost is way newer like you said and less polished
* I avoided ImageMagick (its slow and buggy)
* I don't have any sort of GIF, Video or Audio support yet (but I'd like to)

Similarities:
* We both use MongoDB

Also that is more of an actual chan where I just incorporated ideas from various sources, IRC, chans, IMs and forums. It's meant to be more of a secure communication tool with chan features.

No one cares. Kill yourself.

Yeah I'd rather not use a website that's a sitting duck for an autist to spam to hell.

The idea is that you will run your own node. We can moderate livepost.mixflame.com ourselves, I just added moderation ability infact. Just make your own node and share with friends!

If it really does get all that bad, I will add CAPTCHA. But you can see how this interferes with it as a communication device right? For instance, there's no CAPTCHA in IRC, and people spam it, but the world goes on, right? There are some anti-spam measure in place nevertheless.

I'm all for anti-spam measures, but CAPTCHA is definitely not my favorite.

So you'd rather go the hotwheels way where the site is unusable for days/weeks because the site does not have anti-spam measures and the admins have to start developing some while the site is being ravaged by spam.

I do have anti-spam measures, I think I will go the Holla Forums route and just make you solve one Captcha to get into the site or something, just to weed out the bots. I plan to have some measures where admins can block an IP from posting on a board, or even using the site (to block pedos and other crimes.) Right now we do have moderation ability with passwords and the delete ability I just added. You're welcome to open issues with anything you think would be helpful or appropriate at github.com/mixflame/livepost/issues

I do want it to be as spam-free as possible, and I'm not against anti-spam stuff, I was just saying CAPTCHA is my least favorite of them

It's the only thing that truly works, it should always be possible to turn it on in case someone decides the site needs to be spammed. Just like Holla Forums has it as a board option.

Okay sounds good, I will make an issue out of this and work on it soon (tomorrow).

When pic related pops up it might be a good idea to add the max file size/resolutions to it as well.

I will add that right now. The max size is 350kb any dimensions.

Alright I added that. Gonna stop now but I will be working on it again tomorrow all day

I made a post.

OP you have the right idea but it feels broken, why do posts update upwards.

thanks

that's just the current design. it can be changed

The design will definitely be improved over time

should have an option to sort the other way around, otherwise it's alright. posting without js should just refresh or some shit

I agree on the refresh fallback. Let me open an issue. I made an issue for the sorting

just adding a simple background improves things by %50

How is this different from Meguca?

You can disable live typing there too.

Meguca is shit, this is not.

You didn't answer the question.

The password feature seems to be broken, specifically it doesn't seem that the password is applied. That is some extreme coding skills right there.

no thanks.

Like a true web 3.0 pajeet production

This just kills the chan layout. No date, no post numbers to quote. This is just trash. If you're just doing a separate thing then it's fine, but it's not an imageboard by any means.
Also, fix the fucking style holy shit. It doesn't have to he web3.0 garbage to look good.

COMMIE FAGGOT

are you doing some datamining or what?

The real solution is CAPTCHA + some proof-of-work based on scrypt which can be computed on typical laptop in 15 minutes. (Just CAPTCHA is too cheap, there are lots of pajeets who solve hundreds of thousands of them every day for hilarious salaries.)

And in return offer a token which will be valid for posting indefinitely, until it's generating too much obvious spam.

Or might as well receive an equivalent amount of Bitcoin or Ethereum, instead of just wasting power on user machines. This would also solve monetizing.
But 15 minutes is probably not enough to mine anything at all…

did you have a stroke or something?

nope, not at all

The fuck does this even mean

the password feature is not broken. it's used for deletion right now.

post password is broken tho and Ill fix that today

like instead of going to Amazon or Imgur or something they are only serialized and sent through the server, only saved in MongoDB on your server. so it's private and fast

I can fix that soon. I will fix the style. It's slowly evolving and I added a lot yesterday

The 350kb is after LZ-String compression by the way, so the real size is larger. I need help getting the ideal max size and it can be easily changed in the code.

the bottleneck isn't just the code. it's also in stuff like SQL servers and APIs. however yes ruby and node are much slower than crystal. and no we aren't doing anything nefarious with your data like mining. its just a demo server for an open source app

> * Ours is compiled and therefore faster than node.js
Not necessarily. Do you have benchmarks?

Yes, we do.

blog.seraum.com/crystal-lang-vs-nodejs-vs-golang-vs-http-benchmark

Crystal is 3x faster than node. It's also faster than Google Go.

Updates:

Live connected user count on boards and site-wide

Post passwords now work to delete posts

OP is a faggot and a newbie.

They are sanitized, but I forgot some stuff. I'm working on it right now. I'm not a faggot.

Meguca.org is a somewhat known liveposting community, but it is fucking garbage (The ONLY TWO boards on there are Holla Forums and /a/, all of the other boards are created by users from one of those two boards), and the programmer is a major Holla Forums enthusiast.

I personally like the liveposting gimmick, but it will not replace the current static posting setup.

The intention isn't to replace this site. Its mostly for fun and chats

That's the biggest problem with meguca IMO. It's neat but if you're not interested of Holla Forums or weeb faggotry then there's nothing there for you.

Never heard of meguca.

Just fixed image posted and Zalgo problems hopefully. Oops

Please go back to Chanpink, live posters.

What the hell is chanpink

Not of your language, of your software. A crappy Crystal program can certainly be slower than a good node.js program.

Oh, yeah definitely. But I don't think we have that issue in livepost itself, fortunately. I wrote it with speed in mind for sure, and if you try it, you will see that it's lightning fast

It sure would be nice if we had an actual functonal traditional imageboard software for ever shitty liveposting software.

It's another dime a dozen liveposting site.

I've only heard of 2 things like what I built, I tried one and it's not that similar. I haven't even seen the other one. The extra features of imageboards can be slowly built on, the base is there. It takes time

I don't think it's all the same because I used chans an inspiration where the other sites completely copied the whole chan style, j/s

You've got a shiny new image compression there?

I'm yet to see any real world example where a similar website done in Python3 (properly) will have statistically significant measured slowdown over something like Crystal.
You didn't do any benchmarking, did you?

So what? Python3 is faster than Go as well. If you use the right libraries.

This is LZ-String, I didn't invent it, but I applied it to images, yes: pieroxy.net/blog/pages/lz-string/index.html

Here you will see Crystal beating Python3 on every test as well as other interpreted languages: github.com/kostya/benchmarks

It's correct slow algorithms will still be slow in Crystal... however it's your job to avoid that as a programmer and we certainly are on LivePost

Not saying don't use Python, Node or Go. They each have their advantages. Crystal is a very young language and I still run into Amber and Crystal bugs from time to time, some showstoppers that take time to fix. However if you want Ruby lang + Raw Speed + Low Memory, Crystal is the way to go.

Do you have benchmarks from someone who isn't a heavy Crystal user?

The two I linked are the only ones I have. Crystal people seem to have done the benchmarks since its a new language.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the benchmarks I provided though. They are accurate.

Benchmarking is not an exact science. It highly depends on how the benchmark programs are written. If a Crystal expert's crystal benchmark is compared to a node.js benchmark by a mediocre node.js programmer it's not very useful.
Anyway, this isn't really relevant to the question at hand. If the benchmark of the language is reliable that still doesn't mean your software is faster. Benchmark your software against Livechan, and then you can maybe claim yours is faster.

Not a bad idea. I will make a ticket

Updates:
* SSL
* Ban by IP Hash
* ReCaptcha
* oEmbed

new URL:
livepost.mixflame.com

http:// is down we are working on a redirect

Doesn't NNTPchan already have this?

it's because I do live image compression before it's sent.

that is like completely different from what I made

Google captcha, don't use.

What's so wrong with Google Captcha? I tried to avoid it, but there are no real good Captcha solutions and that was the only one that worked. I could really find nothing

I can take it out and replace with a custom version when I'm able to write it. But this will stop spam for now and I needed that. What's Google Captcha doing that's so bad

It's spyware, and is possibly being used to train AI.

I've removed Google ReCaptcha. I will be adding a new Captcha solution today which is doesn't use Google.

Google Captcha completely removed.

The intention wasn't to piss people off, I wasn't sure how suspicious their JS was. But it's completely gone now. I just needed a captcha solution but I think I found a better one in Ruby that I'm gonna port over to Crystal

The new captcha is live. It's local, no reCaptcha and no spyware.

Ok. OEmbed was removed as well. Now there is 0 chance of Google scripts reaching you here. Sorry about that guys

Don't listen to retards who say Google Captcha = Bad because it implies it is bad because of Google. It's a bigger problem, it is bad because it's non local, you could be using PepeCaptcha.org and it would be as wrong.
And you have these faggots browsing 8ch.net which uses cloudflare, which is 10000 times worse than anything Google does (It's basically a MITM decrypting any shit you browse, something that not even Google can do). Get your priorities straight retards.

Agreed. We will never use CloudFlare.

Actually the Captcha is local to the site now, and now there is also no embedding. Result: No more third party scripts ever

you mean TLS, right? SSL has been depreciated for a while now

I mean https and TLS yeah, sorry

Why not just have have nginx
server{ listen 80; return 301 $host$request_uri; }

What's the appeal of having your code handle the TLS anyways?
I run a L7 proxy because I always have, I've never felt the need to put my naked code against the internet.

There's no reason to run Nginx though. The reason is because I want to allow users to have a full setup in a standalone install. We are fixing http:// in upstream Amber soon, so http:// will still work. I want LivePost itself to be as secure as Nginx, which it will hopefully soon. What exploit am I really vulnerable to without Nginx?

It's also a bunch more configuration for my user, but if we get it right in Amber, I can make the install very easy by bypassing extra services.

Oh sorry I misread your post.

Let me take a stab at adding it to Amber

live demo down

Use https livepost.mixflame.com/

Meguca dev here. Denying this.

You can toggle the live updates off per board, per thread and per user and it works like a static imageboard without JS.

Hey Meguca from LivePost.

We at LivePost are merely Holla Forums fans rather than any specific board.

Differences: We don't support not using JS right now, it's certainly possible to achieve, but LZ-String our compression algorithm needs to be ported to Crystal. This is because we compress and send images over the wire and they are never uploaded to any service (except your LivePost server.) Once I find a way to decompress and inject the images we won't have this problem. We do plan on an auto-refresh fallback. We will probably do both of these, just give us time. Thanks :)