Police complaints drop 93 percent after deploying body cameras

A study from Cambridge University documents an immense drop in complaints against police officers when their departments began using body cameras. But even more surprising is that the data suggests everyone is on their best behavior whether the cameras are present or not.

The data was collected in seven police departments, and represents over 1.4 million hours logged by 1,847 officers in 2014 and 2015; the researchers published their data last week in the journal Criminal Justice and Behavior.

Officers were randomly assigned to wear or not wear cameras week by week (about half would be wearing them any given week), and had to keep them on during all encounters. The authors used complaints against police as a metric because they’re easy to measure, an established practice in most police forces and give a good ballpark of the frequency of problematic behavior.

In the year before the study, 1,539 complaints in total were filed against officers; at the end of the body camera experiment, the year had only yielded 113 complaints.

This would be enough to warrant further investigation or even deployment — complaints are not just indicative of misconduct, but expensive and time-consuming to address — but the study developed another wrinkle that may be even better news.

Against all expectations, there was no significant difference in complaints between officers wearing cameras that week and those going without.

Strange, right? It seems logical to expect that when the camera was actually present, it would act, as intended, as an impartial witness, cooling heads on both sides of an encounter. But complaints dropped even when officers weren’t using the cameras.

“It may be that, by repeated exposure to the surveillance of the cameras, officers changed their reactive behaviour on the streets — changes that proved more effective and so stuck,” explained the study’s lead author, Barak Ariel, in a Cambridge news release. “With a complaints reduction of nearly 100 percent across the board, we find it difficult to consider alternatives, to be honest.”

The researchers dub this effect “contagious accountability” — learning to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Specifics on how exactly this is happening are unclear. Is the officer less confrontational to begin with, avoiding escalation? Or are suspects and complainants more wary of their conduct? Is it some combination of the two, or are even more factors involved? To determine these things would be a far more complex and subtle piece of research, but the study does suggest that officer behavior is probably the most affected, and that other effects flow from that.

Future research has plenty of directions to take, but the effect demonstrated here is robust and beneficial enough to take seriously and, for some police departments, it may be enough to tip the balance in favor of deploying cameras.

Ariel and co-author Alex Sutherland will be discussing their research at Cambridge’s Festival of Ideas in two weeks; if you’re in the area, swing by if you’d like to know more.

techcrunch.com/2016/10/03/police-complaints-drop-93-percent-after-deploying-body-cameras/

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xycoa2_law-and-disorder-in-philadelphia_lifestyle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But ifor we solve the problem we won't have a tool to try and destroy the evil bourgeois patriarchy.

Amazing. Good info.

OP you are a faggot and the study sucks donkey balls.

Let me tell you how it works.
The camera`s are body camera`s right?
On who`s body are they?
That`right, on the cops body.
So from which perceptive is it shown?
Right, from the COP.
Still with me OP?
Are you kiddo?
Following me this far?
The camera only shows what is happening ACCORDING to the cop wearing it!!!
Talking about perceptive bias!
But there is more!
Niggers being the magical creatures they are able to see the superposition of the cameras!!!
It`s like Schrodingerscat, except for the nigger the cat is always dead…and rotting.
In this case the camera is always there!

The nigger cannot do wrong, but the biased cameras which are always there if the possibility exist are telling it from the COPS SIDE!!!

So OFC the nigger won`t complain, the nigger knows that it won`t get a fair hearing!!!!

FFS OP, it`s almost as if you know nothing about nogs…(Cute pic of one btw)

Your formatting and style are both atrocious.

it's probably because their official complaints have evolved into full blown violence and terrorism. of course they wouldn't act civil when the kikes pay them not to.

techcrunch spammer

And now we wait for the first dumb dindu/SJW dindu apologist to claim that filming suspects is raciss.

Which CT professor gave you this drivel? The camera documents the same thing, whether it does it from the perspective of the police. The difference is that it doesn't selectively cut footage that doesn't fit the narrative like the press does. What is more likely

So the nogs are aware enough to know that they are being watched and can't get away with bogus lawsuits based on lies in a nigger attempt at free gibs

You're not from around here, are you? You stick out like a sore thumb with how you write.

Thank you for the input, and I agree with what you're saying, it's more likely nigs and spics know there's hard video recording evidence of what happened, so they can't lie and make up a complaint.

In future, please refrain from commenting until you have a better grasp of how to communicate on a chan. There's no need for snark, you can't receive any internet points here, and if you use a trip code you'll just be filtered.

Reported and filtered

/thread

C`m the Schrodinger cat bit was funny.

Anyway, vid related is rather funny and related. In the first few minutes the cops chase down a nog with a gun. They catch him and he`s all like "I did do n`thing", and then they tell him it`s all on camera. The nog looks at the camera and smiles as if he was just caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

dailymotion.com/video/xycoa2_law-and-disorder-in-philadelphia_lifestyle
(Daily-Motion doesn't embed)

I dropped into this thread just to tell you you're a massive faggot. And I do actually mean you, as a person, in real life, are simply riddled with fucking idiocy. I would find it extremely difficult to believe any actual humans would ever want to interact with you, christ on a bike.

>>>/reddit/

Are you fucking high?

No, wait, you're just stupid.

They're evolving!

Reported.

So is it people wised up and dropped the false complaints, or is it the cops actually started acting like people and not thugs?

Either way, I'm all for every cop wearing a camera.
Storage space is cheap enough a kike can afford it.

both

I highly doubt they were in near perfect balance before this, one was leading the other.
Colleges and universities tend to have far more brutality than surroundings, but also far more reasoning for people to make up complaints as they have just enough knowledge to know they can.

THIS
> — changes that proved more effective and so stuck,

The cops learned to change their behavior.
as well as

does anybody remember the info about the panopticon ?

How much does it pay to not be able to figure things out? Is it a career worth looking into?

Isn't the whole point of this that the police hardly gets legitimate complaints to begin with? There's a tiny amount of gross misconduct that ruins the cops' image, resulting in them getting barraged by false complaints every time someone doesn't take kindly mr. man telling them to just step out of the car already.

too lazy to find one since they're so ubiquitous anyway:

to clarify,

this works because when Shaniqua sees the camera, she knows her false complaint will backfire and can thus longer throw a tantrum, ending the threat of a complaint by which nogs usually try and control the cop

So, this helps to keep both sides under control? You know, this is great really. Cops have a really good reason to be worried about certain parts of the population, but I think people here don't really accept how much cops ARE asses too. They are just people with too much power over normal citizens, and so many of them love to abuse this power.
Hell, this could really work against corruption too, since in time they might make the cameras mandatory during all times. This is a must for law enforcement. I hope my country adopts this too.

Don't do it user, becoming a Jew is never worth it!

…if we had actual communities (racially homogeneous communities,) the power of the citizenry would balance the power of the cops. No force can be effective without an opposite to clash with. Cops naturally tend towards being power-hungry as a fault, but this is also because they do the immensely stressful of being a dad to entire towns or cities of people. There need to push the limits ought to be met by us standing up for our communities the moment some genuine Boardwalk Empire-type policing starts to happen.