89th Academy Awards

ITT: We discuss this year's nominees for the only two categories we give a shit about and predict which ones we think will win.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

I'd vote for Kubo but Zootopia/Moana will win because Disney/Pixar

Haven't seen any of them but I hope it's not Pearl because jewgle

Unfortunately the only ones with a chance will be Moana and Zootopia. I thought Kubo ended up being obscure but I've never even heard of those other two. Out of the three I've seen though, Kubo is my pick.

Again probably the disney made Piper short or Borrowed Time. Personally do hope Borrowed Time wins.

At the end of the day these award shows are a waste of time just used to flaunt whatever some asshat jews felt was good enough for them.

Moana will probably get it over Zootopia if only because it's got a brown girl as a protagonist.
Shame, too. I really liked Kubo, but that studio never seems to do well with its movies, even though they've all been pretty good.

What a shit year.

Sadly it might just be a lack of advertising and too many people put off by stop-motion animation, even though Laika is an industry leader in (IE that only big-ish studio to use) stop-motion.
No matter how much of a technical masterpiece each of their works is, not enough people that would care hear about them.
It is because of this that I shill their shit every chance I get.

Zootopia for sure.

Whichever one(s) are made by Disney.

Is there a place where you can bet on this shit? Looks like free money to me.

Probably Moana or Zootopia. Never cared for the Academy Awards and thought they were overrated.

It's a real damn shame. Hope DVD/Bluray sales helped them earn more of their money back. I really like the work Laika does and don't wanna see em go because of normalfags being turned off.

Kubo or Zootopia.

Piper.

That's a good point. I only saw one trailer when a friend dragged me to go with them to Secret Life of Pets and I don't think I ever saw any commercials or online ads for it.

Same. I'd hate to see them go out of business for such a stupid reason.

Is Kubo as good as the internet claims?

The story is okay, but the animation is superb.

The Annie Awards just happened. You didn't miss much if anything.

bump

I'd been looking forward to seeing The Red Turtle for a long while since learning of it.

Not at all what I expected. Music was okay but generic, art was okay- like high art Tintin. I'm glad I saw it, would never watch it again though.

Is My Life as a Zucchini any good?

That goes for almost all of Laika's movies- beautiful animation for stories that are usually just okay. But I don't mind so much just because from everything I've read about them, they appear to really care about what they do.

They're a really passionate studio for sure. There's a line from Kubo that really feels like an allegory for them. Something along the lines of:

Because usually their endings feel a little weak from time to time. Not a bad weak but more of a lackluster sort.

Still, despite their flaws, I'd love to see them win an award like this one day, just because I'm tired of Disney/Pixar shit always getting it..