Contacted by ???

So I have made posts on leddit that are critical of Rust and Mozilla. I received this message from an account that seemed to be created explicitly to send this message to me. The account was created 3 hours ago, and the message was sent 3 hours ago as well.

Who do you think is behind this? The Rust development team?

It seems like obvious bait. Like something a PR worker would send in order to get information out of me and try to identify who I am. Am I just being paranoid or should I be concerned about who is trying to extract information from me?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/user/IgnoreSO
github.com/redox-os
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/rust.html
lifthrasiir.github.io/rustlog/why-is-a-rust-executable-large.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1spoopy6me

You have to go back.

Why don't you ask him? You have no reason to tell them who you are.

Not worth a response, they write like a retard.

Rust is great, much better than C and C++.
M'kay?

Rust shilling tactics are getting pretty advanced. I bet OP made message by himself, took a screenshot and posted it here, hoping that some unfortunate Holla Forumsnician would take the bait and start using Rust.

Now follows the age-old ritual of making fun of your posting history.
reddit.com/user/IgnoreSO

I sent the message AMA

Prove it faggot.

No. C and C++ are different. Rust in no way is fit to replace C++.

Rust is a better alternative to C.
D is better alternative to C++.

rust is better than c/c++/d

Rust is uglier than C, D and C++.
D is less ugly than C++ and should replace it.

FUCK OFF STEVE

Rust isn't better than C and C++ until I can replace C and C++ code with it. If those faggots want to prove themselves, pick some small kernel subsystem and rewrite it in Rust and benchmark it. Is the code shorter, more readable, faster, more safe, faster to compile, easier to debug, more testable, plays nice with the C code? Give metrics on the result of doing that. Until then, their claims are bullshit and insulting.

OP is a faggot

Fucking this. Why is this shit shilled so hard? Almost every second thread is about this shit!

Depends on the task.

Subjective, well written software should be readable in any language.
To me readability comes mostly from documentation and inline comments.

In the case of perfect Hello world! programs: no.

Yes.

It is not relevant to the quality of the project and the end user. If you want fast compile times, use a scripting language.

Yes, Rust type-safety prevents a lot of accidental bugs, so you have to debug less things.

What?

No one cares.

This is a response to

github.com/redox-os
lel

mere coincidence

How is D better alternative to C++ than Rust is, retard? D has GC and fuckhuge runtime and provides no safety-by-default guarantees like Rust does. Rust is too fat to replace C in certain cases, but it is very good fit for getting rid of cancer that is C++.

You already can replace some C and most C++ with it. What it still lacks (in stable) are user-defined struct alignments so that might be pain in ass if you're working with OpenGL/OpenCL/Vulkan/etc where struct alignment is required for passing to compute kernels. It plays incredibly well with C code. The code is always shorter and more readable than corresponding in C or C++, primarily because you don't need to guess lifetimes of pointers, instead being guaranteed by the compiler. Rust is in most cases slower to compile than C++ but it's being worked on. Debugging works the same way as with C or C++: you start up gdb and use that. But in most cases you don't need to debug it, because compiler can guarantee correct behavior most of the time, assuming you are making good use of the type system.
As for projects, there is an OS and kernel in rust like this user said, which only uses asm for bootloader and C for linux's initramfs. There are also 3d games being written in rust, albeit none are done by big companies. Rust has one of the best libraries for working with Vulkan as of now (vulkano).
Stay mad.

There's one simple reason why it will never replace C: the language too large. And I don't mean the standard library, I mean the language itself.

That might stop it from being ported to every microprocessor in existence, but by that metric, nothing can replace C. Replacing C for most usage is a fine goal too.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Nothing is stopping large language from being compiled into small binary that can run on a microprocessor if the abstractions don't carry significant overhead into the compiled code. It's about the language itself being too large. Like it or not, but there's a reason why Java, C or JS are so widespread.

I don't know enough about Java's early history to tell, but I know C and javascript both got there by being small and good enough in a time of lots of fragmentation and little compatibility. The computing world is much less fragmented now. I would think Rust has been ported to enough platforms to be suitable for the vast majority of usage.

all that's missing is the neon zsh & loli wallpapers.

I was mocking the message OP posted, you dumb faggots.

Lol no. JS was fragmented as fuck during the IE 6 era. It got where it is now when browsers got their shit together and started working towards more of a common ground, and it is still fragmented as fuck.

What were the less fragmented alternatives?

What the fuck is this here for? Don't you rustniggers have your own containment thread these days? I see right through your stealth shilling.

FYI I'm not one of the rabid shills on one side or the other of the argument

It doesn't really seem like it can do much to replace C. The language redefines verbosity in a way that makes Java look simple.
I've messed around with it, and the stacktraces of make Java stacktraces look like footnotes.

C, despite a lot of security issues, is a lot simpler to code in.
And this comes from someone who fucking hates coding in C.

Man, I sure love waiting too fucking long for my code to compile, continually fighting with obtuse language features to get anything done and getting eye cancer from looking at syntax. But the best thing is that, as a webdev hipster and thanks to rust's Memory Safety™, I can now bring my shitcode to the world of systems programming without having to develop my critical thinking skills! Finally, a safe space for the rest of us.

This is not shilling for Rust. I have posted tons against Rust only to be direct messaged by new accounts.

Somebody needs to post that cartoon of someone thinking they'll finally create the ultimate language that everyone will love, only for it to become another language in the pile. Mozilla is just trying to push this shit since their browser has been raped so hard by Chrome.

At any rate, C will literally never die for as long as Linux continues to be developed. Hell, I'd love to see Linus btfo people who apparently need Rust's safety so badly.

Anyone else think that the shilling of Rust is reminiscent of the shilling of SystemD?

It seems like people want us on it for a reason. Backdoored compiler?

maybe i am just tired of security vulnerabilities thanks to the retardedness of the c language?

You'll be surprised how far can people go.

I'm praying for the day we get a language just a performant as C, but safer and easier to use.
Rust isn't it.

not an argument.
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/rust.html

Bro I wanted Rust to be it.
Here's my rundown .
The syntax is massively unapproachable. This is from someone who honestly tried putting together good code with it.

If that's fixed somehow, it'll be great. You won't have to evangelize it, the language will do that for itself.

this is an opinion not an argument. my opinion is that the syntax is ok.

Dude for once, I'm not calling you a fat pink-haired shill.
There's a legitimate problem there. I'm not alone, and this issue is considered a real problem for other languages like Java.
Be humble a bit. Maybe your language isn't unpenetrably perfect hot shit. Maybe it was designed by humans, not Gods.

still not an argument

lol wait I was pretty dumb.
You're not a pro-Rust guy. You're an anti-Rust shill, pretending to be pro-Rust to piss people off.

you are free to think that rusts syntax is shit. but not everybody has the same opinion as you.

Reddit is nothing more than a viral marketing battlefield, why would you expect less? They will work to chase you away and shut you up.

a-a-a-user, w-w-why are you so m-mean??
I-I just w-want t-t-to b-be f-f-friends...

You are doing it wrong. You don't "put together" code in Rust. You design it, you write it. It is really hard to do improvised coding with Rust.

what the fuck does that even mean

only code artisans understand

Just because someone uses a tool wrong, doesn't mean the tool itself is broken.

Reminder that we've had Ada for decades.

Saved for pasta.

The fact that Rust isn't designed to naturally replace existing standards and requires a new way to use tools that have existed for decades really makes me think there's a very active effort to shill for Rust. Products that don't replace existing products by being better versions and that do something different always need a major push from marketing people to be successful.

I "designed" my program before writing it in Rust. Here is the problem: you have to design it for Rust. You have to get around its limitations and oddities AT THE DESIGN LEVEL. It's certainly not a language that's pleasant to work with.

Topkek you expect me to put together code like a fag puts together a painting?
I don't have time for "inspiration" fucktard.

Reminder that we've had Ada for decades, and somehow it's so good it still isn't used instead of C.

Saved what? What is there to save?

He's probably referring to

That's due to a list of minor reasons. There's the hacker vs engineer mentality divide. The FUD back in the 80s that even now gets repeated. And Ada didn't get a good FOSS compiler until the mid 90s, after Linux was already established.

It is still most definitely a language that is of similar performance than C and also safer and easier to use.

The Reddit message.

Holy shit, Holla Forums really is dead.

gtfo illiteratefag, you're worse than the rustnigger op

Oh noes! Something new, something different, it causes discomfort in my brain! Is it bad?! It must be!

I only heard this non-argument from those who spent like 2 hours with Rust before they declared it shit.

Rust is shit though.

The rust community, everyone.
If I have to rewrite Linux from scratch in rust in order to use rust in Linux, I'm not going to use rust.

Considering 4chan basically turned Reddit into 4chan Im completely unsuprised

As someone who also tried to code some stuff in Rust, I wholeheartedly agree with this, as well as the fact that the binaries are insanely large which really bothers me as an optimisation obsessed person

lifthrasiir.github.io/rustlog/why-is-a-rust-executable-large.html
tl;dr use dynamic linking, use system allocator, enable lto, tell the compiler to optimize for size, disable panicking, strip the binary

not really
oh you are retarded

ask this person to message you with their real profile and then you'll talk

As another user said, binary size comes from static linking. If you care so much, you can do #![no_std] and enable dynamic linking and use native allocator instead of jemalloc etc.

sorry i cant understand ooga booga. do you have a version with english subtitles?

You have to go back.

t. someone who never wrote C++11 and up

Oh user, I wrote code with use of C++11, some of C++14 and even checked draft C++17 in 2015. But have you? C++11 introduced std::move which is utterly useless as it has to leave objects in valid state (e.g. when you move a string/vector/etc, it will have to be made empty and not actually be in undefined state like in Rust). It's so shitty that you're better off copying an object instead of moving, unless you know in advance that it's a hot spot. Compilers will also never even _warn_ you about use-after-move so enjoy debugging functions longer than 20 lines. On the other side, compilers will frequently figure out to optimize returns and shit to be std::moves by themselves, but still, manually using that crap is scary. This is pretty fucking ass cancer. C++11 is a nice life ring for C++ niggers who have to write it for living, but if you're writing some shit of your own at home, Rust (even though it still lacks certain features like user-specified struct alignment or mature gui libs) it can be a better choice than C++.

Goddamn OP if you hate them so fucking much just don't use the browser

OP confirmed for faggot as always.

found le ebin redditor xD

Nice arguments, faggot.

go back to shilling Rust somewhere else OP
Nobody cares about this net micro-drama

kys man

holy fuck this thread is cancer. OP is a faggot and so is pic related

i fucking kek'd tho

actually a lot of the faster rust versions arent building because the nigger who maintains this site is a fucking retard.

My god the delusions of grandeur of this guy...
It was just some random dude who likes rust and doesn't like SJW. Why the fuck would you be important enough to involve a PR manager or anything else?

Thank G-d Holla Forums is dead, I shudder to imagine what it must have been like when it was 'alive'

Rust shills btfo

Leave.

Do you suck Rust dick for free or are they paying you to whore for them?

^Write that

You can tell he's a reddtor pretending he's not a redditor

Mind=BLOWN

Obviously an 11 year old. Or possibly an adult with the mind of an 11 year old, such as a Trumpist.

>>>/out/