IRC or IRC alternative

What's a good technology to use these days to just hang out with a bunch of my e-friends?

Everyone seems to be using discord or slack or some other shit, but from my limited experience those seem like total cancer. Tox is nice but a bit too basic right now, persistent chatrooms especially are an issue.

IRC sounds great, but it seems like all the servers ban Tor. AlphaChat allows it but they require you to register first through a non-Tor connection. At least you can still hide your IP from other IRC users, but the logs can still be associated with you. Also the proxy scan policy seems a bit aggressive.

Other urls found in this thread:

hackint.eu/servers
irchelp.org/security/privacy.html
feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/10864473-allow-server-admins-to-set-chat-history-length
lmgtfy.com/?q=discord "undisclosed funding"
discordapp.com/terms
lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=discord "undisclosed funding"
wire.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're right, Slack and Discord are total cancer. Best option if you want both privacy and group chat is probably Matrix right now. Btw since all the group chat is in cleartext, your logs can usually be associated with you even if they don't have your IP, so Tor doesn't make much sense for IRC anyway.

AIM

Hackint doesn't: hackint.eu/servers

XMPP
Since group chats are visible to the server, you should definitely use your own server.
if you don't need file transfers, Mumble is good too.

This. XMPP and then do client side OTR or OMEMO encryption.

You can use mumble, both voice and text is encrypted.

The server snooping on me is a secondary concern. The main problem is somebody malicious will join, lurk for a bit, record IPs and attempt to use that to dox etc.

Would be nice to be private from the server admins too, but there doesn't seem to be a practical way of doing that, and frankly I'm not planning on anything illegal so I can accept it as a compromise (and also what you say).

So is this some newfangled IRC 2.0? They seem to be solving a lot of problems that aren't really problems to me. Also it seems like weechat is the only non-shit client.

That's a pretty good idea actually, lel. I wonder if chatrooms still work on AIM.

Ah thank you, that seems better than AlphaChat.

Don't you need to be running a server for that? Problem there is that my home server has private stuff, to which I don't wish to attract attention. I should probably get a VPS already, but too lazy to shop around.

I suppose that's a good idea if I'm to run my own IRC server. Might as well serve mumble then.

Right now I'm hoping to be a channel on someone else's server, though.

*using a version of openssl that hasn't been updated in 5 years because that's all Qt4 supports

Just make your own board and turn off indexing

Literally never happens.

My friends and I maintain a mumble server to hang out in, play vidyo gaems and discuss gay shit.

Go with NFO servers.

Got a source at all?

Searching around gives a bunch of sources that say an IP alone isn't very useful to dox someone, and there's a suspicious lack of any examples of it happening. But the only thing that seems relevant to mention here is irchelp.org/security/privacy.html

Social recluses detected.

cia detected

Nah, not fast enough, can't casually idle, no identities.

I don't know about you guys but my IP stays the same for months, and a simple web search gives locations within a few blocks of my house.

Thanks for the tip. Probably won't get a server yet but I'll keep that in mind.

kek

Thank you user. If nothing else, the entertainment value of your post alone has made this thread worth it for me. I bet even random Holla Forums users uninterested in the topic will still get a good laugh out of your immense faggotry and retardation.

Check out Matrix.org and the client riot.im.
Its pretty good for what you want, and nobody can see your IP. Think of it as a FOSS Discord.
If you strictly want an IRC, look into having it on I2P. It is impossible for anyone to get your IP then.
Using Matrix would be far easier in some ways though.

Retroshare is underrated as fuck and it's easily my favorite. Makes a mockery of tox by ACTUALLY FUCKING WORKING HOLY SHIT

It's not paranoia when they really are out to invade your privacy as much as they can get away with.

IRC doxes are the result of doxed spilling the beans when they shouldn't and sharing info that pinpoints to them. They never are from the IP solely.

I like your blind trust user. You must be a good person.

Limited chat history was suggested back in 2015, still unable to manage it but why would they when it's their main income source.

feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/10864473-allow-server-admins-to-set-chat-history-length

lmgtfy.com/?q=discord "undisclosed funding"

How the hell do you normalfag apologists think Discord doesn't spy on you and sell your data? If you operated such a service, wouldn't you do it? Even when people offer you thousands of dollars?

host your own IRC server

I'm a minimalist. If you don't have any friends, you don't need any chat software.

sadness

But loneliness makes me want to kill myself.

it's the Arch Way.

If you don't exist at all, you don't need any software. Deprecate yourself.

sure is 2004 in here

Still waiting on the proofs :^)

retroshare has been tested, but is probably honeypot at this point
matrix is much newer, and uses node.js, but it'll be safer soon, if people use the CLI client instead of the Qt honeypot one or god forbid the browser version

Thoughts on tox and telegram?

What cli program ?

Read the TOS and privacy statement yourself.

discordapp.com/terms

this one actually

Yes, I would give anything to go back to 2004 and stay there forever.

I don't understand your issue. They have means, motive and opportunity to steal your data and sell it to the highest bidder. We know they are probably required to let the government tap it since most major social networks are.

Your position is basically that we should just trust a bunch of greedy jews to stand up to the government for our rights when they have no stake in it whatsoever. And because what, they promise they delete the logs? LOL, you're either retarded, or more likely a shill. Either way kys

Telegram is jew shit, last I checked they won't tell people what their encryption algo is, regardless you're stuck using their server where you don't know what code they run.

Tox is pretty good. Main problem is poor offline message support and no persistent group chats yet. Also video chat is a bit poorly optimized. But it is much better than other P2P IMs.

It's your own fault of you trigger the NSA denominator talking about autistic Linux haxor fantasies.

So you have absolutely no proof discord does anything bad with my data? then fuck off.

I ended up using IRC because particularly afps games always have their communities centered around them, matchmaking, server integration, etc. But I generally like how well developed the clients are. By comparison, IRC clients tend to have more features while using less resources than the other modern chat clients I got pushed into using.

nice sticking your head in the sand there faggot

Why doesn't someone run a tor IRC server? It would be easy, just require captcha before anything else.

Captcha is enough to protect against DoS, and $0.001/message is too high for spam to be profitable. Holla Forums works fine with hidden service+captcha.

I use Telegram to hang out with the lainfags and my autistic college friends

he's retarded lol

I wonder what his goal is. Is he trying to impress Holla Forums by how much better he is than us tinfoilfags?

hackint does proof of work, apparently a JS that mines some cryptoshit for them. Says 2-3 hours but took 5 min for me. Pretty nice tbh, I prefer it to bullshit like recaptcha and email.

Who would bother spamming a server with 5 people on it, anyway?

nigger dont link me to jewgle search

lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=discord "undisclosed funding"

Where do I get e-friends? Asking for a friend.

That link was for the shill who didn't see the problem with discord. If you're the same person then I'll change the label to troll. If you're not, put the query in your preferred search engine.

1. Buy a cheap breadboard or craigslist toaster
2. Turn it into an xmpp server of your own
You now no longer have to worry about the server spying on you.

Use a VPN. Has any IRC server implemented global IP hashing like bittorrent does (but with optional salt)?

crc32c((ip & 0x030f3fff) | (r

i swear i have seen this thread before
i usually use wire, its open source under GPL, normie-friendly, and cross platform with web support. i hear that they are planning on open sourcing their server code, but that was a long time ago.

the only thing that worries me is that it was made by the co founder of skype and msn, so there might be some botnet code inside
wire.com

If you want an alternative to these, set-up your own Rocket Chat server: Discord is just a rebranded Rocket Chat server too.

+1 for RetroShare though

This. It's pretty excellent, I've been using it for a while.