Tech Company Interior Design

Why do they want to make their facilities like a children's ball pit?

Blame millenials.

there's literally nothing wrong with wanting to work in a children's ball pit

What a waist of space.

It's a new paradigm man, he with the times

Because there's nothing better than having a comfy place to write code. Besides, it's hard to sit at a desk all day and do nothing but code. I have to get up and walk around every few hours or else I lose focus. My office is putting in standing desks soon, so hopefully that will help.

because it's startup pretend bullshit, that's why

innovative people are unusual, so the reasoning goes that having an unusual work environment will attract unusual people... who hopefully will be usefully innovative. but typically aren't.

startups don't want innovative people, their sales model is mostly "being trendy" and their employment model is on caffeine-driven production (long hours for fixed pay)

traditional companies don't do this shit because it doesn't really work.
innovative people can do well while sitting at a normal desk in a normal chair, and staring at a blank wall
mundane people won't do well no matter where they are
over the long term, I have noticed that people who are smart, tend to prefer quiet working environments. ...And by "quiet" I mean *silence*

a waste of money.
it's better to just set an alarm for each hour and ALWAYS get up and get a drink of water or something. walk around for 2-3 minutes. it's the long-term-sitting that gets to you

There's a few reasons
I think I'm beating a dead horse here but its because these people think like infants. Notice the macs, notice the lounging poses, all of this points to them being childlike in nature and action.
Personally if they're "coding" why don't they have an actual workstation, I can't imagine doing any serious work on a computer without another monitor, whats this shit.
td;dc Silicon valley might as well be run by a cucked version of the lost boys from Neverneverland

Amount of heat produced by computer is unhealthy for testicles, they should not keep those notebook computers in their laps. That is actually reason why they stopped calling those computers laptops and started using *book instead.

Standing still for long periods of time will destroy your knees. Frequent breaks are good.

Standing still all day long won't help your ergonomics. The biggest advantage of the standing desk is the amount of time you don't invest sitting down and standing up. This means it is a little bit easier to start moving about when it's time for your break.

the only thing i use my standing desk for is lifting it up to the max level when i want to roll under it in my chair

How about "hygiene".

The ball pit at Google smelled exactly like the one at the McDonalds in LA I was working in last week. Not even Googlers can resist shitting in the ball pit.

Not to mention that staring at a screen in your lap for any prolonged time is going to fuck up your neck. On the other hand, if you move the screen to a comfortable height the keyboard will be way too high. Notebooks are only good as an on-site machine so you can demo something to a client or do some last-minute work on-site. As main working machines they are horrible.

That's a great analogy.

Thanks for the tips. I tend to be a very fidgety person, so I figure that standing will allow me to readjust my posture easier than while sitting. Honestly, I'd prefer something like a stationary bike desk. When I feel like I want to move, I could pedal for a bit.

well memed. stopped reading there

Saging your bait but I'll address this appropriately; why do you want to be limited to one monitor and have a cluttered screen, when doing work on a report why would you want to have to alt-tab or switch workspaces on a singular screen to transcribe certain tidbits of information that you are not able to cut and paste into the document(say the info is in a png). Or when using vms, why do shitheads all over the world find it comfortable to have to split the screen with a vm and sacrifice the expediency of the os you're on in the first place to get a scrunched up mirror of the one you're working on for another task.
An example from when I had a class in networking
This is why people need multiple monitors.

That's why you compensate by having an adjustable-height chair that you set to the highest level so that when you sit, you're still at the proper level with the standing desk. So, you sit when you want to sit, and stand when you want to stand.

Why is a woman getting a non-invasive vasectomy? That much heat 8 hours a day will pretty much kill all your sperm. Add wifi and keep your phone by your balls to get the last few.

Holy shit, you'd have a heart attack if you saw my setup. I'm using a 4:3 monitor with big font. I also write lots of my code in the bus or park where it's obviously impractical to have dual monitors. I have multiple computers and I just move my chair over to the other (each of which has their own mouse/keyboard/screen) when I need to use the other, but mostly only one screen is on at a time.

I don't use two 16:9 side by side because that's retarded. First it's bad for eyes, second it's not physically possible to sit properly without moving yourself from one monitor to another - even with an arched desk you'd need to move your keyboard to position yourself properly each time you look at a different screen, but the main reason for multiple computers in the first place is security.

And believe me, I get real pissed when things are inefficient. If it takes more than a few milliseconds to open a text editor to edit some file, I might punch the screen. If I open a folder and type the name of the next folder but the computer still isn't ready so I have to retype the name of the next folder, I punch the screen. So don't think I'm some granny that takes 10 minutes to open a file, enter edit mode, save the file, open the browser, slowly move the mouse over to the URL bar to open the website instead of using a hotkey, and upload the file.

lol

this is the real bait. if you had a single monitor of the ideal size you want and used a tiling wm, it's already as good as it gets. adding a second monitor would mean you no longer have ideal dimensions, and now you have a stupid bar running down vertically through the center of your screen. it's simple math nigga

To "attract" (recruit) the spoiled children of middle and upper class parents: the people who can "afford" a college education these days (they're just too spoiled to worry about a mountain of debt).

At some point, you have to realize that the US University system is a diploma mill that spews out tickets to a socioeconomic class. The tickets represent neither knowledge nor ability to do useful work, rather that individual's "worthiness" of being in the class (where worthiness is defined by an amount of money spent by parents or taken on as debt).

My point was for the work I wind up having(yes I use a tiling wm) I genuinely can't think of a decent reason to abandon multiple monitors. And I'm not saying spring money on new monitors, I'm saying take the old hunk of junk shit out of the closet and hook it up and use it so you can glance at lets say your music player is doing. The thing I will grant you and admit is a huge fucking problem is the nightmare you have to go through with xrandr to get it to properly display things on monitors from position to resolution.
I actually prefer multiple computers(w/ multiple monitors) but when I look at the jackasses in op's picture I feel some homicidal rage at the fact some guy was swindled out of his money by these neets.
As for the vertical bar, that is a proper trade off for the equivelent of what was alt-tab, find next instruction, alt-tab, do said instruction, alt-tab, reposition myself in the document, go and write down results, rinse wash repeat.
Vms are part and parcel of a lot of university courses, which even though its expensive and they're bloatware you have to use them at times. I'd rather buy a few burner laptops and run stuff through and off usbs but that will happen some other time.

Marxist liberals want to enforce an environment where everything is communal and shared. You own nothing, you have no space of your own, you have no chair of your own, you have no desk of your own, all assets are owned by the State and are used on a first-come first-serve basis.

Traditional cubicles are very representative of capitalism and individualism. Workers have their own personal spaces with cubicles, they have privacy and freedom to decorate their space however they wish because there's a fucking name tag on the entrance that denotes private ownership. That entire system infuriates modern liberals, nu-males, and Marxists.

Haha, funny joke. Cubicles are representative of capitalism, greed, and the race to the bottom. Privacy and individualism would be separate offices either for each developer or for very small teams.

My post was kind of exaggerating btw, I don't have anything against dual monitors, but I really don't think they're important.

The other day I was walking and saw a massive death star tier office building and it reminded me of how much I hate programming in a small space with a bunch of fags every day, smelling their food, hearing their shit every day, with a bunch of corporate hotheads running around. That includes cubicles and open office. In my last place we were allowed to work at home but it was easier to make it look like we're doing work if we come into office every day. I'll need a new job in a few years but I have no other skill than programming/infosec and am too cynical to enter another technical field. I think of being a cashier (yes, shit pay, but you get food) but that's largely as annoying as an office and I don't know how long I'll last because there's no way in hell I'll fake being happy and ask every customer how their day is. Probably labour but I get the feeling all labour jobs cause long term health problems.

Could you keep your meme politics on the meme boards please.

damn still doesn't beat the ball pit of doing carts at walmart. Working carts makes you want college to come sooner during the summer.

i always return my cart to the nearest stall
there's so many cart return stalls yet still so many carts all over the fucking lot
really sizzles the synapses

it doesn't matter where you place it. the cart people still hates themselves, but anyways it is pretty good exercise and i don't have to deal with people that shop at walmart.

Wherever pajeet goes, he must also shit.

5RuHL5LQnT9G cwR9F1qLkxEM

Ball pits are pretty fun, but laptops are fucking shit for getting work done.

I quite like the cubicle things in the top of your image because it means you dont have to look at your coworkers or interact with them.

But the reason why they do all this is because they are using other peoples money.

Its fun to make a lazy startup, convince some rich bitches that your idea isnt bullshit, then just live off their money for a few years. So they dream up things like this to spend money on.

By contrast starting your own legitimate company that you intend to be successful is fucking difficult.

I have two monitors, and I used to use them too. However, since I started using i3, I've found myself relying on workspaces, and neglecting my other monitor. In fact, my other monitor always has at least one workspace on it that I'd rather have on my primary monitor, but I do put videos on it occasionally. It's so much easier to switch workspaces with a hotkey than to turn my head.

I've also installed i3 on my laptop, and now I like to code from home curled up in a pillow fort with my autistic girlfriend. (Shit was SO cash)

You think this is bad ?

My Beko appliances have lasted me two decades. What are you trying to say here?

"noms" made my face do a thing, I think this wins the thread.

Because SJWs are pedophiles.

Looks cozy. Shame No Man's Sky was shit, because the Joe Danger games were brilliant

RIP your ergonomics

It'd be ok to work at those, but fuck the kinds of people that it attracts.
Going at it in a hammock looks fucking comfy, but with either the computer at an angle (and a support so I don't have to keep it there), or (this is the best choice) the computer to the side. But for that, the hammock would have to be one of the cocoon ones, not that faggot shitty one (closer to the ground probably).
That's the sin, right there. Silicon Valley faggots lose too much contact with nature, that's why they're faggots. They surely don't even have mosquitos over at California anymore.
That's shit tier
Enjoy your hump
Sad that it's just trendy bullshit and manchild shit and not having hammocks because of comfort

it's not complicated.
You buy a foosball table, suddenly the manchildren stay at work until 9pm. infantilizing tech workers to have no interest to leave the romper room pays for itself, it's not like you pay these fuckers by the hour

This is the childlike argument, actually.

This is retarded and inflexible.

This space was 'designed' by someone with a vagina that visits reddit on a regular basis.

Yes that got to me too.

anti-pedo is SJW, m8

People who are vociferously outspoken against issues of morality are usually so out of self-loathing or shame.