Best linux for usb drive?

I need a linux livecd/dvd that I can always have handy on my usb drive when I need to work with a computer.
I tried SystemRescueCD out but it doesn't seem to include any vim or nmtui. Is there one that does?

Other urls found in this thread:

heads.dyne.org/about.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

I always grab Mint because it just werks with a unetbootin setup.

Tails

Jebus user just turn the usb into a basic little hard drive, it takes two usbs.
One is the usb for installation, the other is the target usb.
Steps -
1: Boot into your live disc that has the iso burned to it
2: Go through the iso to its install menu
3: Identify the second usb (probably /dev/sdc in most cases)
4: Install linux to the second usb as if it were a normal hard drive.
There's some extra stuff if you have to go through UEFI like making sure its an ntfs filesystem but other than that why go through the misery of having something that always feels janky when you use it.
But when I don't feel like doing this I normally use Porteus(I may have to share the machine) and when I do go through this process I like to use Void because thats my main distro.

Install Gentoo. You can install Gentoo to your USB drive.

my usb only has 32kb of storage

Tails, for extreme security.

heads.dyne.org/about.html

I used to use Slax back when Linux-on-USB was still a new thing. Damn Small Linux was actually the OS that introduced me to GNU/Linux in fact I heard of Linux before that with iPodLinux but I had no fucking idea what they meant by that

There was this one slackware/manjaro based distro that was desgined to have persistent storage on flash drives.
I can't remember the name of it.

Porteus!

I hate to be that guy... but...

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Well maybe we should recomend to op a gentoo install with musel C and busybox/toolbox for core system utils. Along with QT and wayland for desktop purposes and llvm for compiling.Then it is musel/linux with few gnu programs. Sage for shitpost.

This kills the flash drive.

..or, you could just acknowledge the GNU utilities

Yeah, and Apple calls their system Cocoa + Darwin, you stupid fucking faggot. The distribution name is the OS name.

DEAL

WITH

IT

I know Cocoa is an API

Don't use TailsOS because it is cancer just like their devs, instead, use HeadsOS.

I have tried this and it was unbearably slow.

5RuHL5LQnT9G x8Nl0NIC46aJ

Mint werks for about 30 minutes before you actually have to use the terminal.

1. Tails is fine. The guys knocking it are either 12 years old or terminally stupid.
2. Debian installs nicely to a USBstick. Or you can just dd one of the live ISOs to it.
3. It's not GNU/Linux. It's Linux. If you want to acknowledge the GNU contribution, use Linux/GNU, which correctly shows the relative importance and centrality of the Linux kernel over the GNU utilities.

This wrong on SO many levels it hurts. Kill yourself for being an Open Source advocate faggot.

Fuck off CIA!

Is Puppy Linux not cool anymore or something?

Linux isn't a full OS without GNU. GNU is a full OS without Linux.

Linux+muslC+busybox+non-gnu-filesystem/utilities for filesystem = fully usable CLI OS with no GNU. Suck it up now.

By definition that is certainly correct. When we emphasise the GNU/Linux name, it is only in reference to GNU based operating systems that are paired together with the Linux kernel program. An operating system that doesn't use GNU cannot be a GNU based operating system! An example of this includes Android OS.

I'm sur you forget things like ncurses.

Use as many distros as you can fit on the drive with a bootstrap OS menu like Easy2Boot.

UPS for no network by default
Tails for user by default
Puppy | DSL or similar when it needs to work on anything
Brew your own for your defaults

No.
The common syntax is [user land]/[kernel], stop trying to be an alternative hipster faggot.
GNU/LinuxGNU/kFreeBSDGNU/Hurd

Also, Linux is quite irrelevant when compared to the amount of projects the GNU foundation has driven.

The only good Linux is one running toybox on bionic compiled by clang

GNU's contributions to Linux are considerable. It's too bad that obnoxious, pedantic GNU grammar-spammers and control freaks with OCD are ruining the reputation of a great organization. People have been mainly using the term "Linux" since I started using Linux in the 90s. It doesn't belittle GNU in any way. This sick, obsessive, grammar-nazi campaign to insist everyone use "GNU/Linux" is poisoning GNU's reputation and making a lot of people resent their OCD army of spammers. You call it what you want and I'll call it what I want. Don't tell me what to do, especially when you're wrong anyway. And start taking your meds. As far as I'm concerned, it's "Linux".

Tell me, tell me why I'm wrong, ( ° ʖ °)

Heads seems cool, can I use i3-gaps?
Also with it being libre it does not exactly fit my purpose of having a usb thumb drive. I want it to boot up anywhere and that includes my university computers that may have proprietary network drivers and such. I suggest making a extra download for that type of use case.
I might use it for system installs on my own boxes though.

GNU's contributions to Linux are minimal. The only contribution GNU has to Linux is by removing the binary blobs that Torvalds allows in Linux. GNU has no other contribution to Linux.

Porteus

Tails

Just use Xubuntu or Debian. The live images work pretty well.

Because Linux-Libre is a GNU project, otherwise they wouldn't contribute anything (not that they need to. Linux has no shortage of developers unlike GNU.)

...accompanied by a fair trade coffee and vegan, gluten-free cookies. You fucking hipster.

It is important to call the OS by it's name for four reasons:
So yes. Calling it "Linux" is incorrect and ignorant and calling it "GNU/Linux" is stupid and overcomplicated since a. The user will never interact with the kernel anyway and b. You can't name every single part of the OS.
The OS is called GNU and there are various GNU distributions.

knoppix

If Tails is fucked what should I use. Is heads legit or is it a meme?

If you refer to a GNU/Linux system as "Linux", you are making a grievous error of intentional confusion. When you do this, you are overloading the Linux name to mean multiple things. The overloading of technical terms is not a good way to communicate clearly.

arch

This. w/o the yuge effort by the *BSD and Linux guys GNU would still be waitin' on the HURD.

Lel. Which OS would that be user? I don't seem to recall any OS named 'GNU' tbqh.

SystemRescueCD (live ISO)
TailsOS (live ISO)

Don't do it OP. It's botnet

Ubuntu