Improving C++ skills, and general developer appeal

Sup, Holla Forums?
I recently discovered UpWork, and haven't flexed my programming muscles since college. I figure I can get back into it while making some dosh on the side.
Unfortunately, I only really know C++.
UpWork lets you take their tests to display on your profile to flaunt your skill/know-how for clients, and says that a 2.5/5 is considered passing.
>2.75/5; Level: beginner; Time to Complete: 22/45 minutes; git fukn gud scrub

I want to roll in the freelancer shekels, but I'm sure I can't compete with anyone like this.
What are some good tried and true resources to hone my C++ skills? Also, if anyone in the IT/programming/development industry is reading this, what else can I learn and improve on to make myself very attractive to clients? I really love the idea of just fulfilling odd jobs from home, like a mission board in a video game. Even better if I can earn a living from it

Other urls found in this thread:

fightfor15.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump, this interests me as well.

The cut they take is pretty hefty, is it worth it? Ever did a job with them?

Depends on how many times you poo'd in a loo.

All the times as far as i recall

You're not meant to be working for such web-site then.

From what I've read, yes, but it improves the more of a workaholic you are.
The cut they take is based on how much you bill your clients, on a per-client basis.
20% for the first $500 you bill a client across all contracts with them
10% for total billings with a client between $500.01 and $10,000
5% for total billings with a client that exceed $10,000.
It looks like it encourages long-lasting relationships with clients.

Also, they do this weird thing were you have to buy into a token system called Connects. Apparently jobs all cost 1-5 connects to submit a proposal, depending on the scope of the job, but these connects cost a $1, and there are monthly limits to acquiring them, it seems.
The only reason I can think for this is to hinder veterans from eating up all the contracts in their field and let others have a go, and you need to pay for it so the client isn't getting some half-hearted pleb with no personal investment to do the job.
really, it reminds me of the fee you have to pay the guild in Monster Hunter to take a quest

oh look at over here mr high and mighty posting over here like he never goes on the beach like everyone else in a hurry .

where on the site do i take this test?
do i need to create a full profile first?

I am proficient in python and am learning C# currently

Yeah, make a profile. Under the FIND WORK tab, you can then go view it, and there's a section for tests. There are loads of them, so you have to use their search feature.

Post results.

I wonder if this will get approved.

Mate, if a few years down the road, this profile has over $1000 in completed jobs, I will never forget you.

I did their C++ test, it stopped me around 40 questions. For reference, I've done nothing but C++ for about 20 years and I'm the lead developer of a networking company so I'm pretty sure I'm a 5/5 kinda guy. There were a lot of questions that were wrong or bullshit. I'm still lost as to what they were trying to get at with their various 'container adapter' questions that sounded like someone was trying to translate a Java test about wrapper classes into C++, and I bet their storage class question about "registerd" was a typo. Looks like this is mainly for recruiting webdev Pajeets - don't waste your time.

I hope you make a shitload of money.

The tests, or the site as a whole?

The website as a whole.

The site. The tests are a good example of where the focus is. The C++ test has been taken 20k times, the English test 1M times, and HTML + CSS + PHP about 500k. It's Pajeet central.

There's probably a way to game that system by pretending to be a pajeet.

There's a feature that lets you filter jobs by clients that want US only freelancers.

I'm not sure how it works with these freelancer sites, but there is a preference for Pajeets in California tech as they willingly let you ignore labor laws. Obummercare is the big one - they'll work over 30 hours a week yet cooperate in helping you avoid paying health with obviously fishy accounting. It's a big deal as the ACA killed full-time jobs below professional salaries yet tech needs a lot of medium skill full-time employees.

I'm convinced that union bosses know things like that and the 'fight for $15' will put their members out of work but are getting paid by the globalists to make it happen.

Looks like himmie got Jewed once again. Will try resubmitting.

Maybe padding the ol' profile will help.

it might be the NSDAP bit.
My profile is just as bare. Only C++, not even .NET, yet I just got the email saying it's all good.

beaches are full of sand. use public transport. the seats even come with fabric

programmers make more than 15 dollars an hour you mongoloid

but not fastfood and discount store service monkeys, you nigger.
skills>robot work

What the fuck do fastfood jobs have to do with C++ and freelancing?

They're the ones for $15 an hour
fightfor15.org/

Ignore c++. Learn c first and do some assembler examples first even if youre not going to use any of them. Listen to mike akton talks and read about data oriented design. Theres no fucking sense in using a language that allows to manage memory if you dont do this. Ignore any modern c++ acolite whines and dont obsess over oop, in fact, keep yourself away from oop for as long as you can.

C++ is a multiparadigm language, that means it has to support lots of different ideologies. Dont use everything at the same time. Program simple things. Dont use threads on a problem Until you do first a single threaded version and youre sure the problem at hand is your bottleneck.

Cheers.

i'd also add C++ is slowly on the way out. C is staying in a supporting role, but C++ is slowly being replaced by C#, and its already a fair way gone. There is still lots of C++ work, but with a gradually diminishing amount of C++ work, there is going to be continual small over supply of C++ coders for the next few years. Nothing severe, but with lots of growing job bases in other languages, I wouldn't recommend investing time in C++ unless u are already quite invested in it.

How fucking retarded/underage are you?

they might do things differently, but they are used to make the same sort of programs
:p

Except they aren't. No one's going to rewrite a VPN in Microsoft Java.

Nope. C# isnt widely adopted enought and probably will not be as much as yiu think. Its still better to invest in c++ rather than some unkown meme language about safe spaces that everyone(1 or 2 fags tops) shilling for.

While I hate c++, this will not work. By being shady you just further reduced the chance of me giving any power to your language

5RuHL5LQnT9G F9KPOe1xTrtu

It's so they don't have a warehouse of toilet dodgers all using the reputation of a single account to harvest work

I eagerly await your OS, embedded programs and high-performance finance programs written in C#.

let me spell it out for you.
the questions are hard, so few will get them right.
you give your fellow pajeets copies of the answers.
wow, these guys are highly qualified!

Reminder that if you take electrical engineering and call it a programming language, then it's Turing complete, and also machine language is implemented in it so really machine language is not the lowest level programming language possible. And also as a language electrical engineering bears a greater resemblance to Haskell than it does to any imperative or object oriented language. Cfags btfo. My pure functional language with no first class functions and only booleans and floats as types is WAY more efficient than your imperative shitlang, and also despite being very low level it's entirely cross platform because it doesn't even fucking run on a platform.

electrical engineering is not a programming language. you do not type it into a computer to solve programming tasks. you're a faggot and the reason engineering students like yourself get laughed at.