"Smart" Meters

I just had someone come to my house to install a smart meter. Luckily my electrical meter is in my garage and they couldn't install it, but they unfortunately got my gas meter. Am I being paranoid or is this another botnet?

Yes it is a fucking botnet that sends data back to the electric company and spies on you via electrical usage spikes. They also can remotely change how much electricity you used for a month. Try going a month without any electricity used in your house and see how much they charge you. If you can, demand they replace it with the old one(hint they won't). You dun goofed.

You can get enough electricity to power a laptop or a lamp from telephone line. You also can carry a battery and charge it for free where it's available (at work for example).
I wonder if there is any way to flatten the spikes to prevent them from mining any data from these meters?

Spoiler alert: people draw more power when at home

Stuff like (((smart))) meter, vehicle ECU, thermostat/furnace are the most botnet bullshit and nobody ever talks about them. If you tried to reverse engineer any of these things the company would throw a tantrum that you might expose their stupidity and 500 feds and lawyers in your house instantly.

they're gonna see your pot growing lights OP

You think I can opt-out with just my street address? I'm a NEET of course

OP didn't ask what he can do about it so fuck him.

A: Grassroots political action.

I live in the most jewish-infested, left-leaning town in the United States. You cannot reason with those fucking morons.

Fortunately the code is written in C, so you can get a negative balance on your gas bill.

How can you hack one of these? What if you wanted to run an asic farm and have the power meter not report them?

Care to elaborate how this works without getting vanned? And yes the knowledge of how to flatten said spikes exists. Just need to search hard and long for it. Start with how impedence is measured on said meters.

Time to go off-grid, OP.

I worked with one of the companies that makes them for a while. They've got standard cellular hardware and a custom embedded Linux.

Don't show this to pol.

There are also decent solar battery banks that you can get to charge gear over USB. My buddy just got one but he hasn't tested it yet. I just ordered my own. Will report back when I get it if this thread is still up.

I told the guy I wanted to opt-out and he said I was the first person who wanted to. I'll have to put up an EMR shield over the gas meter, but luckily my electric meter is still unpozzed. At least we have an option to opt-out, but unfortunately I was too late for the gas meter.
as they say on 4gag

You are on here and complaining about bot net.. Grow your own food and use a wood burner if you are that paranoid , paying a bill late isn't the same as being a method dealer tinfoilers..

Drug

I have a neighbor who is such a jew he has big ass battery packs plugged to his phone lines and he says they already paid themselves years ago.

So they are laughably easy to hack with a seriel debugger then. Or if you really want a IMSI catcher. Don't do anything illegal kids.

"Good goy! You must live in the woods and grow your own food! There is no in-between, goy. My way or the highway, I mean woods!"

embedded software is almost always shit. this alone is a reason to avoid anything like a smart meter

You're fucked.

Enjoy the constant radiation.

You dug your own grave

Is it really that hard to pay your electricity bills while you live in civilisation?

Yes, if the state is not willing to fund fusion energy research then I'm not willing to pay for over-priced electricity. Also:
I'm already not paying for anything that can be digitized, why should I pay for some signals that are going through some wire?

What did he mean by this?

Except unlike data electricity can't just be duplicated and shared endlessly, there is a finite amount of it and producing it entails significant setup and operating costs.

Yeah man, why be on the grid when you could spend 2 hours a day chopping wood to power your shitty inefficient fire hazard generator.

Although I guess this life suits you perfectly:
"The operation is so delicate that it was generally left to colliers (professional charcoal burners). They often lived alone in small huts in order to tend their wood piles."

They are literally a botnet in that they form a mesh network that you have no control over. Just wait until they start talking directly with appliances and PC power supplies.

just do what I do and smash all the smart meters you find. eventually they just stop replacing them with the expensive smart meters and just put the old ones back on.

Why not fry them instead of smashing them ?

kys

in after 'muh regulations'

No, I mean your shitty homemade generator will fuck up and burn your house down.

BAZOOPLE

On the bright side, your electrical usage wont be an estimate. The downside being your electrical usage wont be an estimate, and yes they will know everything about you.

If OP lived in an apartment complex then he could be more anonymous because although they monitor energy usage on a per-unit basis they will only bill the manager in most cases. Now if the manager is one of those managers who can't mind his own business then OP should just move out

The benefit is if your electricity company is decent then they will charge you the spot price of the electricity as you use it. If this is the case and you have the typical chan NEET sleep schedule where you wake up at 2pm and go to sleep at 4am then your power bill will drop because the majority of your electricity usage is when there is low demand.

I doubt you can actually draw more than a few mA from the telephone line before they come at you. Right?

A better way to do it would be to add a nice big battery pack as a buffer. It hides what exactly you're doing and when, you can set it to charge only during off peak times, and if you set it up right it could be the first step to going partially/fully off-grid with solar.

Why didn't you just tell him to fuck off?

This actually sounds like a great idea to mask spikes.

botnet for sure.
I once read an article about Britbong smart meters which were developed with intel agency assistance for 'your security' so it's safe to assume the same is true here.
You can monitor devices through the power line
= buy UPS system at least, or even better - run off of a disconnected laptop.
Meta data such as time of use will indicate occupant {number, daily schedule, age, sex (use powertools regularly?), and much more}.

Absolute botnet. Kikery is the only reason why it exists.

So you assume the user isn't a qualified electrician? Interesting projection of your skill set.

If he's a qualified electrician, he would be dealing with electrical problems by himself without bitching about supposed botnets in this board.

Won't help. That jewbox is recording everything. When company guy comes for the readings, he will download your entire hour-by-hour usage history. They'll just get everything a few months later at most.

At least is just gas, which is much less revealing about your habits than leccy.

kys newfag
>>>/auschwitz/

It's also expensive as fuck. And you will need to replace those batteries every few years.

Not up to date with battery prices, but won't they become a reasonable purchase sooner rather than later like solar panels?

I dream of living off the grid sometime in the future

Both solar panels and large batteries are and will remain unreasonably expensive for the foreseeable future, unless you count government subsidies in.
And you won't get any subsidies if you buy just the batteries.

Why do you think it's unreasonably expensive?

Do the math yourself. Count your daily power usage and see how much batteries of that capacity cost. Make sure they can charge/discharge fast enough too.

The expense is not unreasonable. There are real reasons why solar+battery costs as it does. I guess I got triggered by your loose command of language.

I was going to post this.

If you draw from the pack, the meter will only see when the batteries are drawing power, and will be unable to see when you're actually using them.

I guess "reasonable" is a very subjective qualification.
English is not my first language. Pls no bully.

This just averages the stats over the battery charge period. Unless the batteries are large enough to last at least a week or so, I'm still not comfortable with that amount of usage data leaking.

Alternatively, you could waste enough energy to pad power draw to a constant amount. Probably more expensive than the batteries though. You could however reclaim some of the cost by using coin miners for padding.