I just switched from windows 10 to linux mint.what can i do with linux that windows cant?

i just switched from windows 10 to linux mint.what can i do with linux that windows cant?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17670
youtu.be/zgs9g-Q-Zm8
meet.jit.si
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well for one you can play older windows nt games like the original quake in wine. You aren't being spied on anymore till you use the webrowser now. You can code in any language you would like without paying 200$ or more. You can install a whole new appearence for you desktop customizing anything and everything you want. You can plug in your usb harddrive backup and it will always work until physical failure. Etc etc.

You can compile your own software. It'll be the same as everyone else's since you can't code, but all the compiler output helps you pretend that you are now an elite developer.

thank you i had no idea you could customize it your exact preferences.

He is literally using Skype.
He may be using a GNU/Linux distribution, but he has the mentality of an average Windows user.

You can choose when you want to install OS updates.

so i already fucked up?

He is a retard but unlike windows users he is taking the time to learn something new. OP just use a different client for privacy like TOX or discord. If you want to talk to your friends they have to use TOX or discord too though. And yes you dun goofed.

try dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 fam

Yea, that is a good idea.
Nothing bad can come from that.
Doing things for no reason at all is always a splendid way of not fucking shit up.

You can install software from package manager.

Also make sure to jewgle every action so you understand what it does. Like recomends deleting your whole hard drive. Don't do it.

my windows ten install got bricked so i had no excuses not to ive been wanting to switch anyways.

yea i did i assumed that code was like a delete system 32.

You fucked up the moment when you chose to not lurk more.
Seems like you cannot even differentiate the kernel from the actual user-land.
Also, not using a distro with minimal installation is gay.

You can still recover, by following his tip or changing the subnet mask to something symmetric like 255.255.255.255

Is this thread a troll?

i shit you not it did i was updating it and accidentally turned it off.

You can get minecraft.

Can't play Titan Quest, that's for sure.

Just use windows 7. It's a lot better than Linux in almost every way.

Yes it can fuck off trolls it looks like OP is a genuine newfag also link for proof it works.
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17670

Version from Steam.

You can implement a proxy as an one line command.
You can become one of those ricers who try to make their desktop as unintuitive as possible while pretending it's easier to use
You can enjoy the much superior networking of linux
You can cry as you watch your battery go down 1% every second because loonix is shit with power saving
You can enjoy increased performance with cpu-bound games and decreased performance with gpu-bound games
You can drag files around in your file browser without having it stop working like windows explorer
You can have a system that just works whereas windows is slower than the flow of glass. No more waiting a year to have a fucking 100kb text editor open.

oh no

Well, what do you want it to do?

Heresy.

not bloated and cancer stricken by Microsoft
and so far its already achieved that.

Mgba is good

Linux mint should have mgba.
I don't really know because I use gentoo

crack your neighbors poorfag WEP in 5 minutes

Also to add, mint is a real fucking casualfag shitter and has a bad security record compared to the exploitation of other distros.

Start a thread with the title: Make me convert to gentoo (protip you can't) and you will get there.

Pick one

to be fair he could get something like a mumble server and put the encryption to AES 256-512

>>>/bait/

Linux has a couple of advantages.
It's ridiculously customizable at every level. If there's a part of your system you don't like there's at least one alternative. No exceptions. You can customize it to the point it can't reasonably be called Linux any more.
It can be lightweight. A distro like Lubuntu is as light as Windows XP while being as modern as Windows 10. Really great for old computers.
It's free, and so is most of its software, to the point where it removes a lot of friction. Getting unauthorized copies of ("pirating") software isn't nearly as convenient as getting the software through the original channel without EULA or license check bullshit or any of that. Distros tend to come with package managers, enormous repositories of completely free software that's easy to install. On the other hand, installing software from outside the repositories is occasionally a pain.
It lets you do a lot of cool technical stuff. Using the command line you can make your life a lot easier by automating things. It's not relevant for most users, but if you're into it it's heaven.

Nothing.

Well trolled.

Linux is a placebo for the low IQ.

All the "spying" that goes on happens between you and the websites you visit. Zuckerberg isn't going to start giving away Facebook OS because the money is made from the goyim visiting Facebook.com. Google doesn't make their money from spying on you using Chrome or Android they make it from having Google search the default on Chrome and Android.

In Linux you can even use an entirely different window manager. The WM associated with a distro is just a default for the most part. If you want you could use Gnome or even something like i3 (tiling)!

In Linux you can only customize the modules it has built in it. It's just a kernel, after all.

low iq confirmed.

stop this meme

Tuturu whats wrong with i3 tripsfag?

Thats fucking false though. Only a portion of it does. Its relevant, but its only a portion of it.
why would you talk out of your ass like that, user?
will you just say literally anything that makes you feel better about being microsofts cuck?

Try switching desktop environments. Just install them along your default, you should be able to choose from a list at log in.

Now you can switch from Linux Mint to Debian with Cinnamon desktop.

Randomize MAC address for every time when you connect wifi (Win10 only randomize at every restart).

just use your machine and be happy that it works. i don't think there's much reason for you to post here, mint has some user help forums (you can get to them from the 'Welcome' popup, if you disabled that it's in the equivalent of the start menu)
Mint works great for someone who needs a machine to do normalfag shit with without having to fiddle with it constantly.

sudo apt install slsl
People who are new to Linux love this for some reason

casualfag detected

GANOO PLUS LUNIX

OR AS I'VE RECENTLY TAKEN TO CALLING IT

Really? My laptop lasts a bit longer when I boot in gnu+linux as opposed to windows 7.

uninstall skype

what did he mean by that?

Mint a shit but we all had to start somewhere

Distribution info and detailed instructions, please.

you can install extcalc, a specialize scientific calculator with script programming language built in, only on gnu+linux. You can also render 3d stuff with it and run simple games with its source code.

Be free.

Thankfully, the Quake engine is now free software, so you can play on GNU+Linux.

That's nice and all but how do I install a gameboy emulator on my TI-84?

System: Host: localhost Kernel: 4.12.0-gentoo x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: i3 4.13 Distro: Funtoo Linux - baselayout 2.2.1Machine: No /sys/class/dmi; using dmidecode: you must be root to run dmidecodeCPU: Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 955 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 2100 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHzGraphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn PRO [Radeon HD 7850 / R7 265 / R9 270 1024SP] Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: N/A Resolution: [email protected]/* */ GLX Renderer: AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.12.0-gentoo, LLVM 3.9.1) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.0-devel (git-5ffe0c9e1b)

using wine-2.11 (Staging) with gallium nine and no special winetricks

do you have reading problems? I was asked about my distro info which I stated and there's no special tricks to get it working in wine other than enabling gallium nine which gives better performance on my specific hardware + display driver config

and I'm not going to write how to use wine in general when there's documentation on their site

The most unclear thing is which kind and version to use, e.g., wine32 or wine64, wine-devel or wine-staging, and if I should be doing:
$ dpkg --add-architecture i386

Shitbags can't into instructions.

I even tried wineskins but the game dependencies for Windows became to fucking sloppy.

Thanks.

install gentoo

I don't want to be a killjoy but you installed the worst distribution.
Install Trisquel if you don't have a AMD GPU.
jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/

wine 2.11 also runs latest patched blizzard games that requires visual 2015 shit, also gotta install titan quest RIGHT NOW, tried last year and didnt worked, i tried tons of shit

GANOO MINUS LUNIX

Use it for normal, mundane tasks and Internet browsing without it arbitrarily uploading metadata and more to Microsoft and theoretically without its operating as a (((botnet)))

ignore this, it's still in early development
new versions might break things so you'll have to be cautious but for the most part they keep improving things, staging has s3tc support so statging is preferable to vanilla (for now)

also be sure to check the more recent user reports for games and programs on appdb.winehq.org

Get infected with cancer.

# apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-staging : Depends: wine-staging (= 2.12.0~stretch)

# apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
winehq-devel : Depends: wine-devel (= 2.12.0~stretch)

# apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 2.0.1~stretch)

# apt-get install --install-recommends wine-stable
wine-stable : Depends: wine-stable-i386 (= 2.0.1~stretch)

# apt-get install --install-recommends wine-stable-i386
wine-stable-i386:i386 : Depends: libgphoto2-6:i386 (>= 2.5.10) but it is not going to be installed
wine-stable-i386:i386 : Depends: libasound2-plugins:i386 but it is not going to be installed
wine-stable-i386:i386 : Recommends: libfontconfig1:i386 (>= 2.11) but it is not going to be installed
wine-stable-i386:i386 : Recommends: libsane:i386 (>= 1.0.24) but it is not going to be installed

That's the one that installs =(

PAIN

Not play games.

no, this is pain:

Sounds horrible. Pretty painful installing wine or pcsx2 on Gentoo, already.

Open Chrome
Now, open up a bunch of flash or JS heavy websites
Plug in your external HDD

Now, see how the entire OS doesn't randomly lock up? Welcome to Linux.

Now scroll the page. See the screen tearing? Welcome to Linux?

At least Microsoft can't see it with me.

youtu.be/zgs9g-Q-Zm8

pcsx-9999 works fine and there's been slotted ebuilds for wine for a while now

Wait for wayland

I personally only had tearing issues with proprietary nvidia drivers. I use KDE and I had to tick "enable flipping" on nvidia-settings and then I set tearing prevention to re-use screen content on kde's compositor thing and that fixed it for me. On my AMD notebook I didn't have any tearing on any of the distros I tried on it.

Now steam was a pain, because portage didn't automagically pull in the deps for me so I had to manually install a bunch of the 32 bit dependencies

what are you even on about nigger? I have wine-staging 2.10 and pcsx2-9999 installed and didn't have to do any slav magic, emerging them just worked.

yeah, no.

Stop using KDE on a laptop.

nice trips fag

i3 is comfy as fuark though

sudo rm -rf /*
It will print a matrix-like cascade in your console using various colors.

while you're at it why not just do this huh?
:(){ :|:& };:
iz sup@ 1337 haX0r trick
all kool kidz do it.

WOW user THIS IS AMAZING HOW AWFULLY KIND OF YOU

Tried that and the edges of my wobbly windows are still tearing. Using KDE is an interesting experience but I probably won't try it again unless they fix Plasma's godawful startup speed.

You can switch over to a better distro than mint.

Windows can has computer. :)

You can fully customise everything, and I do mean everything, about your computer.

You have security than with windows. You are no longer being spied on by Microsoft.

You can choose when and if you want to install OS updates.

The software is better and most of it is free.

A hack that barely works, breaks screen rotation, adds latency, doubles VRAM use, and still can't deal with freesync/gsync.

awk and sed

Buy a book, something you can read and apply in under a month. Take the time to really learn the basics of your OS. Linux and Unix in general is a whole different take on computing. It is expected of the user to be active and implement solutions to scratch their own itch. The os will meet you half way and provide the building blocks to do so. Unix is both dead simple and genius. Don't let phrases like 'everything is a file' pass you by just like that. Such statements are far reaching and have tremendous consequences on how you'll be doing your day to day computing. Solve interesting problems, you have the best piece of software ever architeched at your fingertips.

yes, tmux is the best replacement for wm, and it's not even a wm

Skype is nonfree software which violates your freedoms/privacy. Jitsi Meet is a better alternative. There are a good number of Jitsi Meet servers available, and you can also run your own. The Jitsi developers maintain a server at meet.jit.si

It's the GNU operating system. Linux is one of the components of the operating system.

You have to start somewhere.

autism

KDE is fine for a laptop once you disable some bling and bloat in System Settings.

It won't. You need to add --no-preserve-root for it to start working.

Postpone system updates until you stop working.

I managed to get a guy to run that once. He had his windows partition mounted on /mnt/ and that basically wiped both his loonix and windows partitions.

Pic related? :)
ło kurwa

Try to play games and fail.

It's "tutturu", with a double "t" you faggot.

Holla Forums for newbies:
tech: "We need to get rid of windows, encourage everyone to switch to a linux distro, there are beginner friendly ones too!"
norm: "Hey guys, I installed Linux mint/Ubuntu how/what..."
tech: "Lol KYS you're using a botnet"
norm: "Going back to windows kthxbye"

So? I am not here to sell Linux to random internet people. This is not a foss advocacy forum, nor the new user section of a Linux user group.

It's not a bad thing, just that there seems to be a lot of people pretending not to know why people still use windows etc.