GO 2 ANNOUNCED

blog.golang.org/toward-go2

Where were you when the world's HOTTEST programming language just got HOTTER?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
metafilter.com/117073/Falsehoods-Programmers-Believe#4405539
github.com/cheekybits/genny
suckless.org/coding_style
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Will this one have real dynamic linking and no gc so it's not a bloated, laggy mess that is impossible to provide security support for? Or is it still Ruby without rails?

Which is why we've had the raw monotonic clock for a fucking decade which doesn't get corrections similar to tick counters on Windows. Jesus, how are people like this in charge of designing a new language's timing facilities? This shit's been in use especially in VoIP in one form or another for a very long time.

They're UNIX people.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

All you need to know about the "GO"

/thread

ew

Dear fucking god. I've been using Unix time as my go-to example of the damage Unix does, but I didn't know it was this terrible.

into the trash both of you

go. for retards, by retards.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with it on embedded boxes that have no CMOS battery (they're considered harmful) and boot in 1970 until VTEC NTP kicks in? Just bend over and enjoy the sensation when it thrusts 47 years into the future and all my timed events fire simultaneously?
They're repeating the same mistakes that kept Ruby from leaving the webdev shithole.

Why there hasn't been another initiative to fix time is beyond me, Swatch tried at the wrong time, they should push for .beats again but with a less stupid name. "Internet time" is honestly good enough though.
Fuck all this leap second nonsense, timezones, daylight savings-like exceptions and quirks. The time is the current time, globally form this point on, if daytime drifts over the course of centuries, outside of the typical "daytime range"then deal with it, if people are willing to put up with changing everything for daylight savings time yearly, and other weird events monthly in other countries, then we should have no problem changing typical business ours by an hour every few hundred years. Fuck time keeping, fuck character encoding, fuck all non-single-standardized things. We need to deprecate these shitty systems we have, standard global date format, calendar, and time of day. Of these I only know of the iso standard format for timestamps and swatches failed attempt at internet time, GMT would be fine but not enough people use it and it has problems of its own.

Maybe we could have some bullshit like the kilogram where there is the single ntp server of truth that tells the time and that only ever gets relayed.

I'm angry, angry about clocks.

what are you talking about? the problem with Go was that there was no monotonic time, which has nothing to do with "real world time"
don't worry bro, now we have unicode and everything is solved

It's all retarded. You should have unix time in your desired precision, then you can build Time With Klossy™ on top of that. Unicode is also extremely disgusting. Why didn't they just repurpose some of the nonprintable ascii characters? Call some character nobody cares about RU. Then you prepend it to any character to get that character mapped as KOI8. For example, Русский Текст (Russian text) would be encoded as Russkij Tekst. If the application can't display it, you just get a rough transcription and squares interleaved to show you're missing something.
Not to mention all the timezone fuckery that goes on.
metafilter.com/117073/Falsehoods-Programmers-Believe#4405539

There are other languages that target your needs, namely Rust, C++, Ada or just plain C.

Rather than wanting every PL to satisfy your wants, treat every language as a DSL and you'll be a better programmer.

Look up how UTF-8 works. It's similar to your idea, but better.

why do so many people think they are the only ones who know that timezones change

Theoretically, how hard would it be to throw together some kind of generics implementation in the open source code, for shits and giggles?

Not too hard.
github.com/cheekybits/genny

they better not fuck this up and force me to have separate go and go2 binaries on my computer like shython

A better programmer avoids using a bunch of domain specific languages as each additional language increases the amount of knowledge someone must have to effectively work on a project.

Working in any project requires domain specific knowledge. Using a domain specific language to implement domain specific solutions is an effective way of solving the problem.

I don't think so, they kept re-emphasizing how they wanted to keep backwards compatibility.

I hope you realize the horrors of language proliferation before you ruin a project. An okay solution written in one language is far better than an optimal one written in erlang, groovy, R, and prolog all glued together by CORBA.

Hey, everybody. I just thought of the worst joke:

Go 2 is considered harmful.

But why?

Ohh for fucks sakes.

Truly this is the Pentium 4 of languages

You poor, naive child.

God damn it, Carlos.

Even though I don't get it at all.

It's just Dijkstraposting

suckless advises goto for cleanup.

suckless.org/coding_style

Although that's basically fine, suckless is frequently retarded. Don't cite them as some kind of authority.
goto is ok in those cases because C doesn't have better solutions. That doesn't do anything to disprove Dijkstra. The whole point was that languages shouldn't make people use goto. It doesn't suggest to use BASIC without goto, it suggests not using fucking BASIC.

The poo is strong in this one.

Carloooooooooooos.