About XUL / Legacy Add-ons

What is Mozilla doing with them after Web Extensions are implemented later this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/2784
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=15018
github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
palemoon.org/redist.shtml
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Harvesting your data when you have to update them to versions that don't work, of course.
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/2784

I dunno.
But next year is going to be Palemoon's year.

It's a pretty jew move

Nightly, Cyberfox, Water and Focus will support XUL tho

I'm on Nightly 57 and the only add-on that bitches at me is my to-do list manager for work. It definitely seems quicker than 56. However, I still totally expect Mozilla to completely fuck it up.

Aw fuck, just realized it's Nightly 56. I am not a clever man.

They're going to be accessible in their webpage until ESR 52 dies next year. After that they'll probably let them for a couple more months and then they'll take them down.
Good riddance. XUL extensions are such a retarded idea.

These legacy extensions will be deprecated and archived. The extension writers have had at least two years to think about this.

There are technical reasons why that can't happen. Legacy extensions work on the assumption that they are allowed access to everything that Firefox has access to. This is not a safe basic philosophy for a secure general extension system. This is the same philosophy that Microsoft used for the Active X extension system for IE. Mozilla cannot just say "fork a new extension process for each extension that's running" because XUL extensions were originally designed to be single threaded. There would be an insane level of duplicated overhead required to replicate the fundamental XUL processing functionality in a manner that's both backwards compatible and secure.

The reason for moving to Webextensions is that extensions are assuming to live within the sandbox i.e. it's a better security philosophy by default. The other reason for moving to webextensions is that is also a good excuse for moving from the single processing model of the traditional XUL system to the paradigm breaking multiprocessing model of the current one. These were planned long in advance and are only intended to happen once.

the only addon i will miss is self desctrucint cookies.

There are WebExtension alternatives to that. Most of the privacy addons have a WebEx alternative already.

Is Mozilla deleting the old add-ons?

Mozilla are not planning to delete the legacy Firefox extensions, they will be archived and deprecated. What this means is that legacy XUL extensions will no longer work on modern versions of Firefox. The way to get your legacy Firefox extensions are either:
*stay on an Firefox version older than Firefox 57 Stable
*edit an about:config flag to support the extensions
*use the development version of Firefox
*use a fork of Firefox that's going to maintain the legacy extension system

firesucks is still relevant?

afaik you can re-enable legacy addons in about:config

What is left lads help me

ebin tor browser xddd
just use links2 -g through a socks proxy like the cool kids

Otter Browser

making your own browser.

Only Firefox forks remain relevant. All other common browsers with the exception of Microsoft's Edge runs Apple and Google's Webkit botnet.

This is a bullshit argument. XUL addons aren't a problem unless you install malicious shit yourself . Everything Web Extensions will be neutered to webpage modifications and toolbar buttons - any addons that work to modify the browser itself are gone . I bet next you'll argue for banning exe files because they pose a security risk. Fuck off back to your corporate walled garden.

What's wrong wtih palemoon?

It's for subhuman winfags.

>chromium with built-in ad-blocker ad-replacer
Great

Linuxfags butthurt yet again when windows has superior software

You could build it from source if you wanted. I thought freetards liked doing that sort of thing.

It has official Linux binaries, you retard.

Pale Moon or bust.

I've using the absolute latest versions of Pale Moon for Linux (that I don't even have to compile my own binaries for) to read this kind of retardation. What a time to be alive.

The binaries are proprietary.

Pale Moon: MPL 2.0 Pale Moon Commander extension: Freeware with disclosed source Pale Moon profile backup tool: MIT license Pale Moon tab groups extension: MPL 2.0 Flash protected mode tool: Freeware license Pale Moon profile migration tool: Freeware license (currently N/A) Pale Moon web installer: Freeware license
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=15018

This is literary proprietary.
They release binaries without source code, thanks to MPL license this is possible.

Do you even understand English? It says the freeware does not apply to the Pale Moon browser. In fact you can grab the source code from repository and compile it yourself.
github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon

Do you even understand English? He said that the binaries are proprietary, and they are.

Those are optional add-ons extension, retard.

Jeez. It really is summer..

nice gtk3 built user.

How have you niggers not heard about the Brave browser?

It's going to change the browser landscape.

All binaries are proprietary. Truly free software is compiled on your own computer!

Brave Browser actually deserves more attention here.
It's still not mature or well-supported enough to replace Chrome/Firefox in all cases, but it's a far better business model than all the other major browsers. The idea of replacing shitty resource-hungry ads with images is good - and the whole Bitcoin ad-replacement model means that development does not need to be funded by SJW-tier orgs or orgs with vested interest in marketing statistics.
Personally, the one feature I'm waiting for is easy profile switching. I contract for several different organizations so need to switch out Browser Profiles often.

Browsers are a botnet

You're a botnet.

Brave deserves no attention from anybody, because it's pure cancer. Their only goals are to scam investors and to exploit their users.

What's the best firefork that is compatible with XUL?

write your own. xul is a very simple language, easy to maintain. mozilla is only removing it out of spite, see

XUL extensions are inherently insecure by design. XUL extensions have access to everything that the Firefox process can access. This is not a safe philosophy for secure application design, especially if that application is a full featured web browser.

So without XUL, extensions can always be trusted? That does not sound like an entirely sane conclusion.

I prefer a plugin architecture that can do anything, and if the users fuck up, that's their problem. No catering to the lowest denominator. I have faith in you as a user to think for yourself and make the right choices.

The safe solution is an extension system that doesn't assume it has access to everything i.e. an extension system that is designed to work within a sandbox and has no access outside of the sandbox. Firefox is intended for the masses so therefore, the safe solution is the sensible solution.

For the experts out there who are happy with the consequences of improper XUL extensions, you can take the time to edit the about:config flag that will permit XUL extensions to run as they did before.

Year of the palemoon web browser

Microsoft Edge

If you have shortsighted care about "muh shekkels", then go ahead and use Brave, but if you really care about privacy, it's not good enough.

No. You're not allowed to redistribute their binaries, and you're not allowed to distribute your own binaries built from the Pale Moon source code unless you ask for permission or use the "New Moon" name and logo instead.
That's literally proprietary.

If you haven't swapped to using palemoon, icecat or seamonkey already, then you're just lost at this point.

SeaMonkey is outdated by 10 years

Reminder chrome pulled this shit years ago and nothing changed for the good.

....is it? I thought they kept it regularly updated more or less to a point behind firefox.

In terms of performance, not security.

SeaMonkey is a laggy shitty version of Firefox.

I've been using it for 2 years and it seems fine. The linux version has some issues posting big files on image boards and that's the only consistent issue I've had with it. The windows versions on my work computers have been fucking up when loading the e-mail client, or when new mail comes in ever since the last big update. Had to disable it, I tried thunderbird out on the same machine and it happens still so I think it's a mozilla issue probably with something specific to these shit work machines I use. I don't know but does a decent web browser actually exist? Everything just seems like chrome based shit, or firefox shit that's stuck somewhere between being a meme and being broken, if that makes any sense.

Works on my machine.

Cyberfox is fantastic but the guy coding it is dying. Download it while you can.

XUL never worked

turn on hardware acceleration

Are you fucking retarded? I have PM running on my ARM netbook right now, and you can be sure as hell it ain't running Windows.

That's exactly the same terms Mozilla uses you cancerous faggot, and the only thing proprietary is the Firefox / Pale Moon trademarks. You can do whatever you want with the source as long as you don't use those trademarked names.

You're allowed to distribute Firefox binaries and also modify the Firefox source code. If you modify the Firefox source code, you're not allowed to brand the resulting modified software as "Firefox".

...which all applies to Pale Moon as well.

It's far more complex than Firefox's distribution license.
palemoon.org/redist.shtml

If you're using that many extensions, you're 100% pwned

How fucked am I

Everything in this list either works on Pale Moon or has a straightforward replacement that works. Make the switch sooner rather than later.

Is palemoon in the debian repos?

No, because Pale Moon is Non-Free Software

It isn't, for the same autistic reasons Firefox weren't for a long time.

tl;dr: if you distribute it under the "New Moon" name the previous 12 points do not apply
The "New Moon" brand is the equivalent of

~> sudo apt-get install newnewbiedoc newmail newsbeuter newt-tcl newlib-source newpid newsbeuter-dbg
Do they have an official debian repo?

You're retarded. It's distributed as Pale Moon officially, New Moon is if someone other than the furfag compiles the browser and wants to distribute it.

Yes, but won't Debian maintainers compile it as new moon so it fits their autistic standards?

Achkschully you're right. Just download the official binary from their website and install it, just werks.