Make gaem

Problem:
Solution:
Why haven't you started developing for Linux using the FOSS game engine Godot, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
compilgames.net/
gnu.org/s/gnujump
gnu.org/s/freedink
libregamewiki.org/GPL_games
godotengine.org/article/dlscript-here
github.com/GodotNativeTools/rust_bindings
pouet.net/prod.php?which=64962
lgdb.org/game/chaosesque-anthology
moddb.com/games/chaosesqueanthology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

false
Thanks to Wine a lot of gayme are working nowadays.
Also their are more and more proprietary that are made compatible with it.which requires non-free/libre drivers
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html

Because I'm working on the hurd instead.
also cuck license but it works

install teeworlds

Because I can't import my blender models to it. Godot developers don't seem to know what a texture is or how to import them. Also the editor looks flashy but lacks any real substance.

youre retarded

buzzwords

You sure showed him, dipshit.

You can use external text editors with it- I know that both Visual Code Studio and Atom have packages for it.

im making a best game that will support at least windows and linux. source code will be published. it doesnt use an (((engine))). 2d framebuffer, maybe use opengl or something later if needed. thinking of making a bootable version at least on some limited selection hardware

Don't get me wrong, the editor is a step up from Unity, because fuck those niggers for making you pay $1500 just to access a dark theme. Godot lets you make it whatever fuckin colors you like which is an enormous step forward and not just for game engines. ALL software needs to take some hints from Godot 3's skinning features and let users make their shit whatever fucking shade of vomit green they like.

What about Gdevelop? It's also opensource

compilgames.net/

Games are cancer.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux has plenty of games. The problem is you have a pavolvian reaction to valve raping you in the ass with DRM which you associate with "games".

gnu.org/s/gnujump
gnu.org/s/freedink

linux has 0 (zero) games, since linux is just a kernel
it's time that people finally realize this

Because I'm using ENIGMA
Also in between writing my programming language and schoolwork I haven't really found the time to work on my game

I have. It sucks. Nobody would want to play it.

Your second link doesnt lead anywhere

Just use emulators. Playing Castlevania SOTN right now, pretty comfy.
You also have ID software games: Doom, Quake, Enemy Territory, Catacomb 3D.

I'm going to play it just to spite you

Xonotic is breddy good, IMO

Symphony of the Night is a _very_ good game indeed. I played that shit 200% on pcsxr on my gentoo, ran like a greasy dream.

I'm not a very experienced programmer, but using an actual game engine feels like cheating. When I used stuff like pygame and love2d I had to figure out how to do stuff like collision and physics myself, but Godot pretty much takes care of that for you. I felt the same when I took a class on unity. It made me ask, "what the hell am I actually learning here?" I don't know how you can't make a game in 2017 if have the time and will to do so.

Game engines let you focus on the actual gameplay and content rather than making people reinvent the wheel with 1000s of bad and inaccurate "physics" implementations.
Rolling your own is only useful for educational purposes; otherwise just use other people's work so you can get shit done.

Well, people usually make games because they want their own. Why not use someone's graphics and music at that point? After all, it's been done before and probably better.

A lot of people do that. Hence the phenomena where a lot of people make a low-effort game in unity with pre-made assets, slap 'sim' in the title and try to sell it on steam. He's right though, and the only reason you wouldn't want to use a game engine, or someone else's assets for that matter, aside from having your own ideas about things, is licensing issues. You don't have to worry about that with the 'cuck license'.

There is value in making your own if there is no adequate solution available. For example, if you wanted to make a Mario-style platformer you cannot just drop in a realistic physics engine, it would make the gameplay completely off, or you would have to spend so much time fighting the engine that you might as well write your own.

Well, if you don't have your own ideas, then I don't even know what you're doing in gamedev.

libregamewiki.org/GPL_games

sad

When you use wine you just give developers an excuse to not code for linux. Always buy linux ported games and pirate the rest

Games are the driving force behind simulation tech.

And incorrect. I noticed Naev's page was just updated a couple days ago.

FreeOrion is nice and has commits every day.

You have zero games, since you are just an employee.

Not really. Yeah you can use the RigidBody with built in physics, but if you want to make you character's controls really feel good, you'll have to use KinematicBody and write all of the physics for it anyway.

Love2D and Pygame are pretty much the same thing as using an engine. It's not enginedev.

Rust bindings are in the works for Godot 3.0 never ever
godotengine.org/article/dlscript-here
github.com/GodotNativeTools/rust_bindings

Do you know how fucking minimal those are, compared to something like Unity? Of course you don't, you are a nodev anyway.

Love gives you a game loop, bindings for a physics engine, ways to put stuff on screen and some small general utilities at best. You are on your own for anything else. It's more like a framework or collection of libraries, rather than Unity's full blown "make it our way" ECS.

but user that already exists: pouet.net/prod.php?which=64962

Because engine development is a lot of work for little gain, while visuals and music can create a unique atmosphere and contribute a lot to the player's experience.

K

Just don't pirate, kk boo?

fuckk. plan is ruined

because I'd rather learn how to make my own opengl context, all these engines are heavy as fuark, and games bore me: I wanna do demo graphics.

Because I can just use javascript and a web browser if I want to write a shitty 2D game.

Godot is tiny dude. It's like 32MB.

How, exactly?

for me best part is "compilation times".

it ACTUALLY takes advantage of being scripted so executables are produced instantly.

You can even update the scripts and shit in realtime if you enable it.

I remember trying to make a better version of Spacestation 13 on this thing, but zero programming experience and poor documentation made it a pain...

I managed to get nice isometric characters and satisfying movement physics, but then I just couldn't do more.

Godamn I really want a rewrite of Spacestation 13 on a less shitty engine... Any autist I can donate to in order to make it happen?

I've wanted to make a spiritual successor of sorts as a browser game, but I don't actually know much about SS13, and never really managed to get a proper answer about how SS13 actually plays.

What's the game you'd most like to see have an open source implementation in the same manner as OpenRCT2 or OpenTTD? I'd kill for a version of Patrician III but with autistic levels of customizability and depth.

If you're trying to just make gaem, this is a terrible attitude to have. What does the job in the least amount of time and effort and as close to spec as possible is the best tool for the job, and spending your time reinventing the wheel because you feel like it's "cheating" to use shortcuts or libraries is autistic and counterproductive.

If you're doing this as practice or a test of your skill and you don't need an end product, that's okay. I had the same experience with making stuff in Love2D and I don't regret it. I found it far more fascinating to try to solve the problems myself than to find the same solution in a tutorial or through analysis of another game.

Who says engines take less effort? You have to learn the engine first, and most likely fight it. It is not a given that they will be able to do what you want them to do. For me they are bloat.

Here you go:
lgdb.org/game/chaosesque-anthology , moddb.com/games/chaosesqueanthology

I don't think it's possible to make a quality game using an engine. Everything I see is slow, buggy, and insanely cheatable (as in, in multiplayer, you can switch people's teams, make them kill each other, make everyone die by pressing a button, etc), and I suspect it's the same way most software is shit: they use some libraries, frameworks, or engines, with poor abstractions and documentation expecting it to magically do what they want. I'm a year into writing a game with no engine myself but it's only 2d (I want it to look good).

I used to make games. I made a bunch of rougelikes using Java till I switched c. Making graphics is the only hard part my attempts ended up looking like a 2 year old child vomiting into gimp so i gave up once I got into college.

Can it emacs?

Why do people keep using Unity, even for 2D, if Godot is so good?

Do you feel spited yet?

Screencap it

Jesus, this game looks like an autism trap... I think I know what I'm doing tonight!

Why do you think people still use RPGMaker and GameMaker Studio?

The same reason a dog licks its balls.

Serious question. Why do animals lick their balls? I thought it was just to show off their stuff to their mates later on. Sage because retarded serious question.

Wait, is this just a ripoff of Endless Sky?

Naev is older than Endless Sky. Both games were inspired by the same game.

Naev is a lot of fun, and is 100% an autism trap. Save yourself. It's a spiritual successor to the Escape Velocity series. Before my old computer died in 2007, I had logged almost 8000 hours in the original EV game. I know this because it would tell me "EV has been installed for x days and has been used for y hours in that time. Register?" almost every day for around seven years, and I would always click "Not now." Nice tripdubs.

Naev and Endless Sky are both successors to the EV series that take the basic EV format two very different directions. They are both good in their own ways, but neither are complete. Naev is more stable, with a constant goal that they are working towards, and also makes more extreme changes to the EV game mechanics. Endless Sky started with a rewrite of the EV engine more true to the original that they later added features onto. Naev has a stronger focus on exploration, while Endless Sky emphasizes the economic system.

I honestly don't understand how people can use GameMaker.
Trying to make anything even slightly outside of the simple games it's made for is amazingly frustrating.

Because they can.

There are games for ganoonix, you're just too fucking stupid to look beyond COD and BF.

I'm actually liking Naev a bit more than Endless Sky. I just wish they'd do something about the ugly menus that look lifted right out of KDE3.

Me too. I think Endless Sky needs a little bit more time to cook before it will be properly comparable to Naev. It just feels less polished and less mature, in my opinion.
It doesn't fix the ones you're looking at, but 75k credits can buy different GUIs for the HUD you see in flight. I don't mean to be the "just fix it urself :^)" guy, but if you have any specific ideas for improving the planetside interface, I'm sure the devs would consider patches. The code for that part of the interface lives at src/land.c and its #includes.

The menus in Endless Sky are pretty well done, but I wouldn't want Naev to just copy that. Maybe add more color...