Rust no longer just a meme language!

Rust graduates from meme language status

Other urls found in this thread:

clhs.lisp.se/Body/m_defstr.htm
github.com/Wilfred/bfc
oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/756210.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everybody already knew that it was safe

That's the power of computer science. We can prove the correctness of our systems with this mystical power.

We conjure the spirits of the computer with our spells!

If we consider computer programs as abstract entities that live inside the computer then they are functionally living as spirits. If this is so, then programmers are just like wizards who write arcane tomes of spells to control these programs that live inside the computer. What a time to be alive when real life wizards now roam the earth writing such tomes of immense utility and power.

Emperor protects

>publication date 2018
HMMMMM

HMMMMM

Let's pretend this is real. And that I will at some point in the future click on that link. Why is this just now being posted? Either this is obvious already. Or it is old news some fag just dicovered to his greatness. Either way suspicious. Post the pdf to >>>/pdfs/ and then I will click it there at some point.

Totally 100% non biased study.

literally came from the future

what the FUCK are you implying?

use c. rust is trash.

explain your greengreens!

Marginalized people everywhere now flock to this marvel of safe-space programming.

found the sjw

Git gud or switch to Java.

i think you misspelled Go

My autism gifs have requested a well deserved vacation, so I'll just say it: you have autism.

Now stop being autistic, it's annoying.

at least I don't have schizophrenia

>How does Rust manage to detect this problem and reject line 4 above? To understand this, we have to look at the type of index_mut:for &'b mut i32.

"λRust" looks better than actual Rust. I don't know how anyone could think the Rust syntax is good.

not an argument

I don't care about syntax. If I was, I'd never use C++. The semantics of the code is far more important.

not an argument

not an argument

not funny

I'd never use C++ because I care about syntax. When you're surrounded by this hideous garbage, you start to think it's normal and you spread it to new languages like Rust.

it is time to stop

You don't realize this: at some point you just get tired of the verboseness. You don't wanna write code at all. Think about that.

I think about expressive code semantics. It's the reason why I like Lisp and completely ignore the endless pairing of parens.

Yeah, you can't really think about the semantics when the syntax is so complicated that you can't parse the semantics out of it.

How does that make the C++ and Rust syntax not bad? If you can get used to Lisp, C++, and Rust, you will probably think everything is like that or that it's impossible for any syntax to be good.

are you a nigger?
(You)

Great news for single-minded safe-space aficionados everywhere!

I was talking about Rust, dumbfuck.

Lisp syntax is complicated. Lisp parsing is simple.

Do you know the syntax of LOOP, FORMAT, DECLARE, and method combinations? That's all syntax.

Lisp is not as ugly as C++ and Rust, but it's a very complicated syntax.

Like I said, syntax has no relevance on how I think about programming. My time programming Lisp has conditioned me thoroughly to ignore syntax and think only about semantics.

Who cares if you like Lisp? We're talking about C++ and Rust and that they have bad syntax.

People who have been exposed to a good syntax care about syntax, but people who only used bad syntax don't care. People who say they don't care about syntax shouldn't be working on the syntax of a programming language.

I'm saying syntax is irrelevant. What's more important is the information density that the information represents: the semantics are far more important that the syntax used to express the semantics.

Abominations like index_mut:for &'b mut i32 can only be "defended" by saying syntax is irrelevant. Rust is a brand new language with no legacy, almost no users, and no attempts to be compatible with anything, and it's already this bad. This is a sign of a deeper problem.

That'l really make me trust it.
Besides I assume that doesn't apply to the features marked unsafe.

#cmissile

jesus christ have you idiots never heard of a draft

Considering how much of lisp's power (i.e. macros) comes from its syntax, it should have had the exact opposite effect.

Besides, Lisp's syntax is about as clear and straightforward as it gets. On the opposite side of the spectrum, you could invent a syntax so obfuscated that it would impede attempts at writing even trivial programs. Sadly for rust cultists, some syntaxes are indeed better than others.

Any application of "type theory" or "functional programming" after 2009 is a meme. I'm not exaggerating, it's literally just hype that marketers can put in their bullshit such as Java 7+.

pic related is rust before this paper

rust after this paper

Lisp's syntax as defined in the manual (not just the reader) is insanely complicated. The semantics are even more complicated than C++.

clhs.lisp.se/Body/m_defstr.htm

I was referring to the syntax of the base language, not that of specific macros like defstruct or loop. Of course macros can represent arbitrarily complicated syntaxes; that's a consequence of their power, enabled by the simplicity and homoiconicity of the base syntax.

What does the skull represent?

maybe they should've written the paper in rust

Strong bones and good calcium

the #cmissiles that killed themselves knowing their memelang was dead

Found pajeet

I don't know why anyone bothers making any threads touching Rust anymore, because they never end in productive conversation and just turn into flame wars. Same with systemdicks threads.

OP here, rust was shit until this

huh? well i think brainfuck is just for you. it's 100% memory safe, it's impossible to write a program which causes segfault or overrun with brainfuck!!!

fml
+[>+]

that program will stop eventually after all cells reach the largest value possible, then the value of the current cell will roll-over to zero and the loop will stop. nothing wrong here.

brainfuck is supposed to have infinite memory, otherwise it wouldn't be turing complete

Not an argument, the same construct exists in every language ever. As , real Turing-completeness implies an infinite amount of available memory.

but nothing can have infinite memory. so in practice what i describe will actually happen.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yeah, and the key "January" is next to the key "July", too?

Wrong. Implementations are only required to have at least 30000 cells according to the esolang wiki.

refer to , still no segfaults happen.

rust shill who is responsible for 90% of the rust threads the last few months. making those posts is zero-cost and it is fun to trigger all those anti-rust fags.

already on it: github.com/Wilfred/bfc

why would you even make such a dishonest misrepresentative post?

The only way that's possible is if it became a dead language.
Please oh please tell me Rust died!

It's frustrating. I want to discuss legitimate aspects of the language, but all that happens is shitposting.
As a concept, it's interesting. I don't mind learning a new language. It doesn't have to replace "every program on earth", but I could have fun writing shit with it.

Still, I find it massively time-consuming to write, and it seems like I'm doing something wrong. I've given up recently, because the even the docs aren't sufficient in explaining how to navigate the intricacies of writing programs.

Also, to clarify, I still hate SJW fags as much of the next guy, but I haven't paid much attention to the drama. What's happening there?

m8 most faggots posting on Holla Forums are larpers.

(chekkked)
t. larper faggot

Yes and no.
Imo there is no point of helping/making_evolve rustfags while we know the community won't use the power that it will gain for the sole purpose of technology.
Agreed, but rust isn't the only one.
Basically the rust community is shit so much that you can't even imagine.
Besides the whole SJW bullshit it's
And they insist everyday saying the same shit over and over.
Go see the redox thread you'll understand:
oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/756210.html

Check out this tripfag.
Filtered.

What concept is that, making a shitty version of Ada 40 years later?

Rust's idea of type safety.

Ada was made in what, the 80s?
It's had almost 3 decades to prove itself better than C and its derivatives.
I'm not seeing operational, commercial file systems, OSes, etc.. being written in Ada.

With every new programming language, there's the hope that is can break the mold.
Evolve past its predecessors.
Eclipse the past.
If Rust doesn't become a successful rival to C++ in about 5 years, yes, it'll also be another niche flop.
Until then, it's always healthy to expand past your comfort zone.

Sounds like the definition of insanity

Ada != Rust
Come on, are you looking to talk about something or are you just spewing shit on your keyboard?

Even race and religion threads on Holla Forums aren't as disingenuous.

Holla Forums is full of contrarian LARPers

Funny i don't remember mentioning either Rust or Ada. But nice of you to bring them up and then bring up Holla Forums for some reason.
Yep definitely not a shill.

Didn't work 40 years age?
Yeah my bad, I forgot Rust was already developed 40 years ago.

Have you seen the syntax? Because I'm not sure it wasn't.

He's obviously talking about C. C didn't work 40 years ago, why would it work now?

The Rustniggers are in it just to spread their ideology, not for the technology.

you mean languages that let pajeet join in?

you're so weak