Political cartoons: what the fuck

Why are political cartoons so fucking bad these days?
We used to have genuinely witty, insightful political cartoonists like Walt Kelly and Ron Cobb, now it's just REEEEEEE LITERALLY HITLER

It's like they've forgotten the cardinal rule of the political cartoon; THOSE FUCKERS; OUR SHIT

And everybody's just a transparent shill, there's gotta be some kind of middle ground between LaTuff and A. Wyatt Mann.

We already have a thread for this in the Trump Salt thread Truthseeker. Duplicate Threads are against the rules you know, so please check next time before you make another thread.

This isn't really a 'duplicate thread.' That thread is specifically for people being salty about Trump. They might be talking about political cartoons now, but aren't they also talking about those shit comics where Trump's the villain, or that pro-Hillary Faith comic?

Anyway, I hope you bitch to every fucking waifu thread about duplicate threads, asshole.

I think the main reason political cartoons aren't as good as they used to be is because they're so focused on presidency and either democrats or republicans, than making a good cartoon. The best old cartoons weren't just bringing up one party to insult another. They tended to acknowledge both sides were pieces of shit. Even if they did insult one side and not the other, it wouldn't have the other off in the corner being treated like a little angel.

It was also obviously more built on metaphors and not as hamfisted as comics are today.

appeal to the lowest common denominator
the more simple and more stupid it is, the more likely you'll get readers and keep getting published

Political comics in a nutshack.

My fucking sides holy shit

This thread needs more Kelly.

I always found these comics douchey in the same way that Steven Colbert is douchey.

kek

Kelly's comics so so ridiculously smug and cunty that it's hard to tell if he's being sincere or if he's gone so many satirical layers deep that he's come out the other end and the real joke is that he's making fun of other political cartoonists..

For now, I'd rather not know the truth.

Political cartoons have always been shit.

political cartoons have always been ridiculous

Yeah but at least they were more creative and focused on a variety of issues instead of just the usual media talking points for either side. Seriously will we ever see a cartoon of a group of ass cheeks playing the trombone for someone?

Is this the secret origin of coppertone girl?

I like the idea of Teddy Roosevelt conquering the world by threatening everyone with his big stick.

You mean coppertone girl used to be a man?

Political cartoons have pretty much always been bottom of the barrel political shitflinging.

I didn't know Dobson's grandfather was a political cartoonist.

I genuinely miss Chuck Asay and the good times we used to have laughing at his ridiculous cartoons.

I actually liked political cartoons during the George Bush era because W was chicken hawk puppet that did the bidding of the rich.
Honestly though, it comes down to the person. If the cartoonist ignores Obama's drone killings, thinks the Russia meme is real and equates Trump to Hitler, he is always going to be an idiot. If the syndicate controls the content of the cartoons, he's a sellout. Find a cartoonist with some brains and only pay attention to them.

Totally agree. Anyone who can't see beyond party lines and rhetoric is an idiot. Any cartoonist that labels more than 3 things in a comic better be doing it ironically.

Got anymore Korean comics?

They were entertaining

Richard Nixon was God's gift to political cartoonists. Here was an asshole who was clearly an asshole, looked like an asshole, and turned out to be a huge asshole.

In Australia, we had Malcolm Fraser with his huge jaw, then Bob Hawke with his hair you could surf on.

They were good for impressionists and comedians, too, Nixon sounded angry and jowly, and Hawke used to tug on his ear and make a funny sort of AAAHHEEEEH noise…

And fucking Joh Bjelke-Petersen, he was a living cartoon, no exaggeration necessary, old, fat, silly HOY DE HOY Queensland peanut farmer accent, obfuscating stupidity concealing emperor Palpatine levels of evil, and the most corrupt government in Australian history.
I'm talking gerrymander arranged so his supporters' voted counted for more, Japanese businessmen walking in the front door and giving him briefcases full of cash, gays being stomped in the streets by cops and blacks being hung in police stations by cops, and he'd deflect all questions by stuttering and pretending senility.
That old cunt kept a generation of crappy Australian comedians from starving. He turned government corruption and subversion of the democratic process into performance art.

Jeez that really happened? This was in the 70's or 80's?

As much as I like the Nixon jokes and impressions I feel it kind of got done to death at this point. Since he's been out of power for over 40 years.

Better drawn though

I do but I was thinking how these comics were supposed to be political commentary. I have no idea what.

true

Like every other Kelly comic is the author hinting at how pathetic and terrible he and his life is.

Nostalgia filter; no one saves the crap ones.

It's not far off what they do today if they can get away with it. The current Queensland government seems to be trying to bring the old days back, with a sideshow of wannabe ultranationionalists One Nation busily cannibalising each other.

Australian politics are a special kind of ridiculous. One relatively recent cartoon had a My Little Pony reference, but I can't find it so have the best political cartoon ever.

You realize you're just projecting your own insecurities from your pathetic and terrible life on that goy?

The 60's, 70's and 80's.
Once Joh was Premier of Queensland, his Gerrymander ensured that he was as hard to displace as a fucking barnacle.

ITS THE

Context?

Their parliament is far more entertaining compared to their reality TV shows

This and the Brits man. Your politics is some of the funniest shit I've seen.

Look at the first comic. Where is the wit? It is just the side that don't like is stupid. Look at the second comic. It is just a visual representation of the idiom "Throwing the baby with the bathwater." I guess that you could equate the babies to the school children but just replace the text with something like health care, anti-discrimination laws, whatever leftist bullshit that they want to push and it still works. At least, the third comic tried to have some wit even if Reactionary is such a retarded label.

I'd say the saddest thing abut the third picture is that very few on the Right even oppose common core. Listening to a teacher, she says that she loves the idea of common core the more she hears about. In fact, I'd dare to say that a number of ideas that come from the left are pretty novel.

However (The inevitable word), what we do have a problem with is the way their plans are being implemented, which they don't care to hear about.

Only through finding common ground will we achieve a functioning democracy.

Jesus Christ, it's like a fucking sitcom

The pitch: a standard you need to be able to recall and do X by the end of grade Y, no mention of how you recall and do X, just as long as you can recall and do X you are fine

The Practice: Do X as I tell you or you will be failed! I can make the problems as construed and idiotic as possible just to make you feel stupid! You better agree with me on everything or I can get you expelled!

Thats why the common core is bad. It is tyrrany of the adult towards adolescents.

Now we just need a friends remix.

Got any more Seuess ones?

Or end up throwing pies at each other.

Is that Jeremy Corbyn?

Australian politics in general is just a bizarre clusterfuck.

We don't really have prime ministers anymore, just warlords who seize power from each other.

Like I said, that's where we have a problem. With the way school systems are currently setup, it is extremely difficult for students to go to schools outside of their distinct areas. Because of this, the schools have no need to compete for who has the better education program. If they, say, removed those borders, then the schools would have to improve their education program.

And, you will be surprised how fast it will fix things. Schools are paid based on the amount of students that attend it. Given that parents, typically, want their child to have the best education, how easy it will be to transfer to another, and that every school is required to have the same exact curricula, you'll see a lot of ineffective schools closing or going through major readjustments.

He's The Onion's political cartoonist. He is most definitely making fun of political cartoonists.

No
If you are a political cartoonist it means your audience is borderline retarded.
Is practically high brow when so many are not even that and just
Where you practically just draw a caricature with stink lines.
Stink lines in most modern cases are replaced with references to Nazism.

The problem is the whole thing is not set up to make schools better. The Republicans in general want to shut down public schools entirely to replace them with more profitable charter schools and private schools, to this end they cripple public services with funding cuts and demand greater performance with fewer resources. And the Democrats mostly help them do it. It's called 'starve the beast', and it's the favoured method of neoliberals who want to get rid of perfectly functional social programs that aren't making their CEO buddies rich enough.

We don't change Prime Ministers at elections any more, it's too predictable.

Who?

at least it isn't african politics

a British PM who is basically British Bernie Sanders.

*pm
MP my bad.

Care to provide a source on what you're talking about?

Because they don't work and were never intended to work.

A look! It's in this book!

Majority of media is shit these days. Not just political cartoons. Especially since most media is just ripoffs, reboots and remakes.

What's the context of the webm?

top banter.