Which comics got it right?

We're always talking about how shitty the industry is, and what things can be change, but we never talk about the comics that got it right. So, this thread is dedicated to list examples of comics that actually did succeed in fields and areas that current comics are lacking in (Whether it be deliver, premise, subject, or just being something different). And, if you must, you can also list examples of Eastern comics.

NOTE!: Please list examples of which comics are doing it wrong.
Also, the comics used in this post are not meant to be used as examples. They're just tiles that I never really see anyone mention.

Other urls found in this thread:

garychaloner.com/batman-vs-manhunter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Obviously.

My goodness, Araki's art is a mess.

He said comics not Japanese shit.

God I remember those. I remember subscribing to Lego Magazine just to read those. I still have them in a box in my house. I kept getting them until they went into the jungle where it turns out Makuta are a species and not just one guy. I loved the Bionicle series.

Also, I guess some of the Shadow comics are really good. I know we storytimed some here like Hitler's Astrologer.

Some east and west web comics.

I know I'm maybe biased but Impulse written by Mark Waid and penciled by Humberto Ramos was my childhood.

Is it deliver? Absolutely. It's not a super serious superhero story but it's still fun to read and to see Bart learn to grew up and control himself (he grew up from baby to pre-teen in accelerated speed due to a villain experiment). The comic juggle between typical villains, slice of life, and sometimes heavier issues. I remember there's an issue about domestic violence. Bart got suspicious so he borrowed a camera and follows his friend around. He suspected that his dad abusing him but turn out it was his mother who did it.

Oh and Young Justice, before the animated series emofest.

Of all Fandoms I always baffled about how fanatical Bionicle fans are. I knew some people who even willing to spend a lot of money for Bionicle merchandise more than Transformers fans. And yet they are the most quiet and nice fandom I ever saw compared to Pony and Transformers fans.

I'm glad to have seen the storytime for the original Young Justice. I remember reading bits of it as a kid at the library and was surprised at how light-hearted it was. The tone reminded me of Teen Titans cartoon.

Its funny I am a Bionicle fan and have never interacted with other Bionicle fans. The closest was when I was browsing Deviantart and noticing there were other Bionicle fans.

It's light but sometimes went a bit darker as well. Like when Arrowette joined for the first time it was revealed that her mother trained her hard but neglecting her safety by letting her doing superhero stuff without straight supervision. Or when Arowette was hurt bad after getting ambushed.

Yeah, you guys always appear out of nowhere when people discussing about cartoon series or toys and you guys like "Hi guys Bionicle is good bye guys"

And the rest of us just look at each other in confusion trying to understand what the hell just happened.

Yeah I didn't know it happened that often. I guess cuz Bionicle isn't normally discussed as often as other toys like Transformers or Ninja Turtles or whatever. So whenever I see it I get excited seeing it be acknowledged.

Ok then, sell me Bionicle. Tell me why it's worth my time and money.

Alright then, Bionicle toys themselves are fun to build and fairly easy to put together due to the instructions. The main appeal of Bionicle is the characters and the lore. To star with the Basics. In the beginning there was this being called Mata Nui he created all life including the Matorans who are village people, Turaga who are village elder types. He created many things including Makuta who is this evil force that put Mata Nui into a deep sleep and seeks to rule over the world while Mata Nui is helpless. So there is an island called Mata Nui which is named after this creator. There are villagers in it called Matoran who are subject to attacks by creatures called Rahi which are basically the local wildlife that are now controlled by Makuta. One day 6 canisters wash up onto different parts of the island. These canisters have the Toa inside of them. The Toa are warriors who are sent to defend the Matorans and defeat Makuta. Each Toa is based off an elemental power. Also, each part of the island is based off an element like one village is fire based that lives near a volcano, one village is water based that lives near a lagoon, one is air based that lives in the jungle and etc. The toa are Tahu: the leader who controls fire he has a bit of a temper and is pretty serious most of the time. Gali who controls water and is pretty calm most of the time, Lewa who controls air and is pretty laid back and fun, Pohatu who controls stone, Onua who controls Earth and Kopaka who controls Ice. The toa wear masks that grant them special powers as well for example Tahu wears a mask that grants him the ability of force fields. The Turaga also have masks with powers but theirs are a bit more limited than the toa. The matorans wear masks but they have no powers. The toa fight the Rahi but Makuta escalates his war against the toa by unleashing the Bohrok which are this ancient race of bug monsters lead by a Bohrok queen that attack the Toa. The Bohrok carry masks inside of their bodies that can attach themselves to anything and the masks cause degradation to the wearer. Eventually the Toa defeat the Bohrok and the Bohrok queen but in the process get covered in this substance called Proto-dermis which enhances their bodies making them the Toa Nuva. Anyways thats just the beginning of the story and there's much more to cover so I'll leave it at that for now. One of the interesting aspects of the lore is how well crafted the world is. For example in the jungle village the matorans there speak a different dialect than the rest of the matorans. Its called quick-speak since they tend to live fast and its a trait unique to them. Little details like that are what make the world interesting.

TLDR; its easy to build toys but the story starts basic but grows more and you get to see how rich the world they live in is and how interesting the characters and lore are too.

So I did some googling and found a series of video. The second episode actually pretty interesting. The main character is like a clueless Masterchief.

Oh I think thats the new Bionicle. Apparently they're doing a Generation 2 with it kind of like Transformers did I guess. Still seems pretty fun.

Yeah. It's actually pretty interesting. It's simple but good enough to attract its target audience but interesting enough for older audience. I mean clueless overpowered hero tend to be pretty funny.

"Oh, I can beat these green spiders easy? Welp."

What I want to know is how the fans of the original Turok adapted to the reboot the 90s games were based off of. Then there was the 2007 DVD release movie that was a gritty adaption of the original comic. Is there really a divide between original Turok and 90s Turok fans?

I dunno the beano or something

When I get the chance, I'll see about storytiming it. I believe I have the entire series.

Honestly the Valiant stuff was good. Both it and Magnus were decent. The recent revival by Dynamite was pretty good too. Magnus calling a futuristic SJW an uncle Tom of humanity was hilarious. The new Turok had crusaders and mongols landing in America and bringing their "dragons". It was jarring that Turok is a teen but he killed a t Rex so it's cool. The classic comics have this wonderful feel to them to. Magnus in particular feels like a sci-fi Tarzan

It's new Bionicle. It's been cancelled. Again. They did a shitty cartoon series with it on Netflix to tell the full lore story. It's awful. I know past Bionicle lore got crazy complicated but the new one was just generic crap.

If Astro City's done it, they've done it better than anyone else.

I only played the game (Nintendo 64 version) and never finish it (because I'm terrible at aiming with joystick) so what's the difference between the comic and the game?

Gwah I know I forgot something.

Even they have been pozzed. Issues about villains who's issues are they are trans but have been abused for being trans, and how evil stupid dad was a sexist and didn't let me be a scientist and died because he wasn't as smart as me but sexist.

Hands down the best thing I've ever read. Although, the jump from Alan Moore to Neil Gaiman was like falling a cliff in overly philosophical complicated world building. But it's great. Alan Moore is great at destroying society's while Neil Gaiman is great at creating them.

Osamu Tezuka is the kind of guy who can make Adolf Hitler interesting.His comic about Buddha is also pretty good.

Also recommending Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows. He deliver weird talking animals and sexy ladies just right. Bless Frank Cho for his talent is put for greater good (Ass, I'm talking about great ass).

You know what's this about?

I seriously need to read Manhunter.

There's a pretty good Batman v.s. Manhunter story here by Australian Gary Chaloner.

garychaloner.com/batman-vs-manhunter/

Chaloner's got all the right influences, like Will Eisner and Dave Stevens.
He's fantastically talented, but almost never finishes a project, so he's become a little obscure.
BECAUSE CLOSE ONLY COUNTS IN HORSESHOES AND NUKES.

Bionicle is truly 10/10, but you should really read the books to get the full story, and even after that check out the various wikis for additional stories and stuff you might have missed.

For the record, basically just covered the plot of the first generation

It's truly painful that we won't get to see more of bionicle's history since they made the godawful reboot. They could have gotten probably 10 more years out of the amount of material greg gave them.
>Toa Mangai of course they'd never do them because it had 11 members, two of which were toa of water and four of which were toa of ice
>If they really run out of stories, there's still the Dark Mirror Universe

shame cho is a shillary supporter

You're a swell fella, user.
I only picked up the first few comics published here in my country.

So where do I start? Something that easy to access and not too complicated?

Just enjoy the fucking comic and stop bringing Holla Forums to Holla Forums. Also Cho fought those SJWs to the bittersweet end. That's something.

Wait how pozzed is the series I have been meaning to read it for a long time, now I am feeling like I should not.

If you want to get as basic as you can, you just read the comics and watch the films. The order for the series is: Bionicle > Ignition > Battle For Power > "Glatorian'' > The End. When it becomes necessary, the comics will point to the films to explain some of the plot happenings.

If you want to get at all deeper, there's also the GBA Lego Bionicle game which takes place before the comics, and Mata Nui: The Online Game 1 and 2 which happens alongside the events in the beginning comics.

After that, there's the book series which goes: Chronicles > Adventures > Legends > "Super Chapter Books/Bara Magna Trilogy'' > The End. But, like I said, you can just go through the comics and the films and call it a day.

thanks mate. I really want to see what the hulabaloo is all about so the most basic source tend to be the easiest to access.

It's pretty much Wizard of Oz, with its own plot and character motivations, inspired by the original books as opposed to the disney movie.

The art is beautiful, with some darker undertones, and the characters are interesting; what I find most unique about it, though, is how it sometimes shifts in how the art medium is used (i.e. it's usually a single image, but sometimes it's an animated presentation, or a short point-n-click). Unfortunately, it's on eternal hiatus, since the author admitted they were far too ambitious with the project, and so won't return until they feel it can be adequately completed.

But there's 5 completed chapters if you're interested.

The N64 games are strictly based off of the 90s comics. Based off of as in they adapted the comics closely for material, but as far as I know never directly adapted a particular plotline from the comic. The main reason why is that pulling off a grand story was still difficult in that era, especially for the N64 and for FPS games. However by the final Turok game, they pushed the N64 hardware to the limits and nailed a story. Shadow of Oblivion is a gem of a game for being as dark as it can go, pretty well constructed for managing to balance story and gameplay. That said I believe only the first game is the one to have a comic counterpart but it came with a copy of the game and that was it.

It's also a good time to be getting into Turok as the N64 games are getting remasters that are actual remasters if you know what I mean. The first one has been out for a while but is tech demo tier in terms of story. The second one is considered the best for gameplay and it's not hard to see why when you check it out. That one has a bit of story in it but mainly in cutscenes. As I said for the final game, that one not only has the best story but even the best multiplayer. There was also a multiplayer only game but it had no story other than an inexplicable explanation for everyone fighting. Just reading the synopsis on the fan wiki is enough to get hyped for each of the original games of the trilogy.

Ex Machina gets it right when it comes to telling fairly realistic superhero story and making comic that involves politics. No side of political spectrum is inherently good or bad, actions have consequences, and no character is 100% good or evil. It also uses flashbacks right, unlike most stories.

I'm fairly sure the comics are like "half-canon". They seem to be a light retelling of the books. The same goes for the movies, except mask of light definitely is canon.

I know i covered first gen. There's just so much stuff to cover that it would take multiple posts.

Neat got a torrent on hand?

>1999, brought 4 of the Lego Slizers Throwbots and my friend brought the other 4 (out of 8), so we could both assemble their mega builds.
>All I can think is, "more elemental action heroes again? The mask feature and character designs are nice but will this really catch on or just be another Slizers and only last 2 years . . . ?

I never bought any of them I think my friend did get Lewa but I think we were both growing older and moving on from Lego at the time, I never expected Lego to go all out with the lore and backstory for it, my only knowledge of any story was just from playing the Bionicle Mata Nui online game but getting stuck and never going to the ice region via cable car and hearing about a few direct to video movies.

Vid slightly related, go to 6:50, I always loved the "Battle of the Sky" segment complete with the Flight of the Valkyries music homage.

Cronics of the night of the times is a french comic about prehistoric times and it is very interesting and well made.
Kind of educative as well.

I remember that there was some elemental heroes Lego made before Bionicle so I only had a few figures and didn't care much.

Those are Spanish titles, user.

I just realized that The French really love perhistoric time as a setting. Some of their movies, including that humorous one about perhistoric men that really want to use soap made by other tribes. Or their comics and cartoons are full with tribal people in savage lands wearing loincloth and there's a lot of nudity.

Bless the French