ThinkPad (and Toughbook) thread

Scored the LaPo and it's autosaging, making a new one.

Reminder: With ThinkPads or Toughbooks, the ride never ends.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Joyj0dmkug
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Advanced_Dock
ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/panasonic-toughbook-cf-19-mk6-128-gb-ssd-i5-3320-m/679910276-278-2420
ebay.com/itm/292167926672
toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=27964
github.com/OpenICC/xcalib
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-T23-Pentium-III-1GHz-1GB-RAM-DVD-ROM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/362049750394
link.marktplaats.nl/m1177434794
link.marktplaats.nl/m1173296943
link.marktplaats.nl/m1187112278
ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Toughbook-CF-19-2-6GHz-MK6-Core-i5-500GB-6GB-Backlit-Keyboard-/142426343454
tpfancontrol.com/
thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/R61i.html
masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/
warosu.org/g/thread/S62078645#p62089871
link.marktplaats.nl/m1197564776
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
svgur.com/s/2r9
thepiratebay.org/search/Windows 7 x64/0/99/0
warosu.org/g/thread/S62264488#p62270918
archive.is/ZkpnM
rubenerd.com/freebsd-gpt-thinkpad-x40/
archive.is/DO1bQ
ebay.com/itm/311957412085
ebay.com/itm/272828970845
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-X32-12-034-Screen-Pentium-M-1-8GHz-1Gb-RAM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/311957412085?
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-X32-12-034-Screen-Pentium-M-1-8GHz-1Gb-RAM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/311962152109?
cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
link.marktplaats.nl/m1206915368
warosu.org/g/thread/S61637334#p61648583
ark.intel.com/products/42599/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-P9700-6M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
ebay.com/itm/292076495894
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x201
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x200#Without_ME.2FAMT
51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html
ebay.nl/itm/390914281579
ebay.com/itm/82636140039
ebay.com/itm/182636140039
ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P51-i7-7700HQ-FHD-IPS-16GB-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-M1200-Laptop-/253207073818
mega.nz/#!orgg2KiD!_UOI-hE7lDBqlMUEtcuoEcja1exSJcrAzsF9hrV3zps
ebay.com/itm/BN-12-1-XGA-FL-SCREEN-ORIGINAL-IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-X41-PANEL-DISPLAY-NO-TOUCH-/161657710049
ebay.nl/itm/182721921666
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t60
archive.is/wAQsg
forum.notebookreview.com/threads/fz-g1-tips-tricks-mods.809551/#post-10623052
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

With that being said, I can get a T60 for 40€, too expensive?

Thats in the ballpark of what they sell for on ebay.

Got my ThinkPad Dock in the mail, now to find a nice PCI GPU for it.

Is that a T60?

R60

I have a T420 but i need a much faster CPU. How are the T470 and the P51 holding up? These prices are fucking insane.

If you're thinking of getting a t470 for muh processing powah then you might as well get a used t460 or even t450. The difference between kaby lake and skylake is insignificant.
Also take into account that new thinkpads are overpriced and lackluster. You won't get any meme points for having a nu thinkpad so you can look at cheaper alternetives if you need to buy new.

i7 QM CPU and be done with it.

Believe it or not im not buying these things for the meme points, but for the keyboard and trackpoint. How are those on the new ones? Currently looking at a P50 with a Xeon E3 1505M.

What model? Im seeing mostly W530s with that CPU class, but those have the new keyboard so might as well go with a T460, right?

just got a X60 from craigslist for 20 bucks. It's in really nice shape and I can see myself using it for a while. I only use laptops for spreadsheets, vim, and playing roguelikes, so this is perfect. I've already:
and i'm about to buy a better battery. is there a source better than ebay for batteries?
is it worth using arch on 32-bit after they've dropped support?
anything else I should to upgrade/maintain this? would it be worth re-applying thermal paste inside?

Zbook master race, fuck your dingy Lenovos

I recently freed my T60. It has the UXGA screen which is very nice.
Gnu GuixSD is currently installed, but not ready as a daily driver yet. I'm having more trouble wrapping my head around its configulation than Libreboot's.

You freedumbed a T60p? How?

It's an Intel GPU T60 mobo in a T60P chassis. There's no difference in the body other than the nameplate and a beefier fan.

I bought the T60P a couple of years ago dirt cheap because the seller thought it was broken (In reality it was set up to boot from a network image).
I bought a new mobo, network card, and cpu since the old one is 32bit in order to turn it into a machine I can actually use.

Use the variant of arch without systemd, but if you want access to the pacman manager just use 32 bit manjaro.

How can a laptop cost $20? A SJW Pi is $30, much worse specs, no screen or anything.

Mine. I need to clean the built-in keyboard though the keys occasionally fail to work. Any suggestions? I've got 2 spare X200 systems as well.

Because people have no perception of value. Old = busted.

m8 I bought a CF-18 Mk2 for that money years ago, and earlier this year three CF-18 Mk4's for 19$ each.

It's not hard to find a super cheap laptop, even a ThinkPad. I can get a beaten up X200 for 50$ but fuck that

youtube.com/watch?v=6Joyj0dmkug

I setup craiglist alerts for "thinkpad", and specific models. it took about a month of waiting before someone posted the one I wanted (X60). He was asking $50, I offered $20, and a week later when nobody bought it, he took my offer. I probably would've paid the $50, but most people are lenient on price when they're looking to get rid of something.

I also have alerts for PVM CRT monitors, but people owning those are much more savvy to the price of such hardware.

I have a Marktplaats alert set for Asko appliances and Toughbooks, and it's not the first time I scored a damn good deal with those email alerts

Just replace the keyboard, it's not even expensive.

What docks allow pci cards?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Advanced_Dock

Neato

ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/panasonic-toughbook-cf-19-mk6-128-gb-ssd-i5-3320-m/679910276-278-2420

God damn.

DT CF-19 Mk6's are rare as fuck and for 400€ I would have taken it if the seller wasn't a gigantic faggot.

Not even $0 since it turns out the X200 and X200T keyboards are interchangeable. I've just scavenged one out of one of my spare systems.

Off-topic but still, it's a business laptop.

I can get a mint-condition HP EliteBook 2760p with the i7-2620M and an SSD for $160. It's a really great deal, but I've been hearing that EliteBooks don't have that good of build quality and the keyboards are shit. Should I go for it, /g/?

Tablet EliteBooks are shit IMO, get a 2570p instead. IB > SB, better iGPU and less power consumption.

Just installed Win2k on my UltraBay 2000 HDD adapter's HDD, installing drivers 'n shit now.

seller doesn't want to put his bank/personal info on any of his computers. he's doing the right thing to leave no prints behind

m8, you can TOO paranoid.

Besides, I doubt anyone would do banking on a fucking outdoor oriented computer.

Still haven't heard back from the eBay seller for these: ebay.com/itm/292167926672

[comfiness intensifies]

That lamp next to the T22 makes me think of me of Brave Little Toaster. Wonder if I should buy a small desk for my T22 'n shit.

Also saw a IBM keyboard at a thrift shop today, had some weird ass QWERTY layout but it was black (T4x era?) with blue Enter/Shift keys, should I go back and buy it?

Fuck forgot pic again.

Holy shit, on second look I noticed that lamp awfully looks like Lampy!

I want to get a thinkpad, here's what I'm thinking:

T400 for $60 with 4gb RAM installed
$8 for an AC adapter
$8 for an ultrabay adapter
$55 for a 120gb SSD
$21 for a 320GB HDD from Toshiba.

total is $152, I might look into upgrading to 8gb RAM later on. all of it would be from Ebay.

what do you guys think of this? could I spend less than this?

Too expensive, grab a nice T5x0 or X230 for that money instead if you're not a freetard who wants trannyboot.

T4x0's have a shit tier screen apparently.

Wow, so apparently Panasonic discontinued the CF-19: toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=27964
Makes me a bit sad tbh, CF-19/31 > CF-20/33 because fuck tablets.

put a xeon in it

Can I expect to gain any previously blocked functionality or faster boot times by putting libreboot/coreboot into my X200? It just werks as is so if there's not much to gain except the approval of people I don't know on the internet I might as well be happy with it as is.

Is new Dell Latitude E7480 better than Thinkpad T470? I need new ultrabook laptop and don't want to buy old used shit with 35W CPU and fan that runs all time.

IDK about boot speed, I doubt it changes that much. OSS for boot code is great but there are still a fuckton of side-channel attacks to which any system even OSS/LibreHardware will remain vulnerable. If I could do it on a decent laptop I might, but the hardware support just isn't "there" for me atm.

If the keys are simply not being pressed because gunk, here is what I do with every laptop I buy used.

If you wash all the keys as well, be careful as to not accidentally wash them down the drain. I let them soak in a cup with soapy water and then pour into a pasta strainer.

I have done this like 20 times and it has worked perfectly for 19 of them. Only time this has ever failed me was when I got impatient on one keyboard and plugged it in after about 8 hours. It was very clearly still damp, and half the keys did not work. (It was my dream model and I got really impatient. Fug.)

Man, /g/ really is fucking irredeemable, laptop wise.

Thanks for existing, Holla Forums. If it wasn't for this site and that 25$ CF-18 Mk2 I bought in Fall 2014 I wouldn't have a 31 Mk3 and a T22 now.

And now more on topic: Defragging my T22's HD as we speak, not going wicked fast though. Samsung 120GB thing > IDE-SATA > SATA-USB converter

Pfft, finished. Guess my complaining here worked, lol.

Disconnecting and putting it back in my laptop now.

Also ran MS Bootvis and holy shit, for a Pentium III era laptop it boots very fast!

You didn't just defrag an SSD did you?

What even?

Shoo shoo, GNUtard. People like to play games and other shit that won't run under Loonix.

Enjoy your telemetry. Say hi to the NSA for me.

Not him, but it could happen. Around 2009 I put a 8 GB CF card and a CF to IDE adapter into a 1996 laptop.

Wouldn't make sense for a 440BX equipped laptop, considering it's limited to UDMA4/33MB/s

>>>/g/

Stop shitting up this thread you faggots, this is not a thread for whining about Windows, it's about ThinkPads and other Holla Forums approved hardware.

is the screen on your x200t really blue?
even if i do an eyeball calibration it looks like shit due to the other colors being so off.

My camera is atrocious. The colour is fairly subdued when looking at it for real. That said, I haven't done any display calibration, how do you even do it on a Linux system?

I made a profile in windows 7 when i used it on there.
maybe my panel is just shit/damaged.

github.com/OpenICC/xcalib

I want to kill every price gouging faggot in the world: ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-T23-Pentium-III-1GHz-1GB-RAM-DVD-ROM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/362049750394

75€ for a BOL T23 and without HD?

Moar faggotry, this time in the form of T61's for high prices and/or in terrible condition.

link.marktplaats.nl/m1177434794

link.marktplaats.nl/m1173296943

link.marktplaats.nl/m1187112278

Can we gas this species of faggots already?

CF is good. It is like the Thinkpad of SD cards.
Something about the way it indexes the flash memory directly.
Normally SD cards with wear levelling don't delete your data. The microcontroller only deletes the reference and uses a different storage area.
So once you've put data on an SD card it is there for good - even filling the card with zeros to wipe it is no use - since for example, you may actually have a 16Gb card that reports as 4Gb due to poor quality silicon. So filling the 4Gb accessible to you will do shit to delete your data.

FUCK. I broke my T22's palmrest again.

Getting a bit tired of this thing anyway (no USB boot, Blink of Death, UDMA2 only), looking for a nice T23 but only ones I found are hilariously overpriced or look like they were used as if it was a Toughbook.

How?

Also, what do you use it for? I have a x200, and yours is fucking ancient compared to mine. How is battery life?

hey, my x60 keeps overheating but I already reaplied thermal compound and cleaned the fan. Did I not apply it correctly? I'm using arctic silver.

Shitposting on Holla Forums and Holla Forums's IRC channels, old games and old software. I still need to finish Nightlong on it though.

I broke it because I accidentally dropped it in a bizarre way, no big thing because it's just a crack.

Original palmrest cracked at every place a T2x cracks: PC Card or UltraBay slot, on the keyboard edges.

Have you screwed the HSF tight enough? AS5 needs curing time too.

How hot is "overheating" ?

+90C; turns off when cpu is maxed for 15 min.
Its been 2 months since I apllied it, so it should have cured by now.

ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Toughbook-CF-19-2-6GHz-MK6-Core-i5-500GB-6GB-Backlit-Keyboard-/142426343454

What the actual fuck. 70$ economy (!) shipping from UK to NL? What is this bullshit?

If it's with UPS then sure okay, but if it's Royal Mail then you can go fuck yourself.

That's weird, what does tpfancontrol say? tpfancontrol.com/

Took apart my T22 and found out it's only a surface crack, there's a metal plate beneath it too.

Crisis averted, I guess.

Where can I acquire R61i ACPI drivers for Vista? Chinknovo removed 90% of the drivers from it's site.

Here: thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/R61i.html

Oh boy, I just bought a T23. 1.13/1GB/40GB, looks in good condition too!

DEUS EX on period correct HW, here I come!

And it's in damn god condition indeed! Even came with a charger.

I'm about to buy a ThinkPad 600 here in Serbia for the low, low price of.. 800 RSD/6,60€, needs a new CMOS battery and charger but those are no biggies.

Piece of shit T430s won't turn on. When I press the power button it'll light up for exactly 1 second then nothing. No display, no fan, nothing. Tried holding the power button for various times (5, 10 30 seconds, a few minutes) and same thing. Time for a new mobo?

Have you tried the sekrit cheatcode for ThinkPads? Works for my T22's BoD: masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

So I am looking on eBay for these, some say 250310U and some say just 2503 and look exactly the same. Are they? The prices on them vary significantly and I don't want to buy the cheaper one and not get what I think I am.

I'd say just go with the cheaper one or ask for a FRU number, and compare it with the one on the ThinkPad wiki.

Posting this from my new T23! In near new condition too!

Except when I reinstalled XP the update hell broke loose.

Really considering "fuck it, reinstall it is!" but I can't be arsed to do it.

In other news I restored my T22 with a T23's Windows 2000 restore CD, which wasn't the best idea in the world considering Win2k has terrible WLAN support.

What's the cheapest you could get a streaming laptop for? All I want to do with it is record (not edit) 720p webcam footage and use OBS over wifi.

Its literally just a camera to broadcast from.

Looks like i'm finally installing XP after three days of fuckery with Windows Update. Let's hope install doesn't error with a hal.dll error or I fuck up Updates again.

T420 has QuickSync, shouldn't be too expensive too.

Is there a way I can flash coreboot on my x220 without opening it ? I'm afraid I'm going to break it I don't have the necessary stuff.

Good fucking god I was about to An Hero myself until suddently Windows Updates started working properly.

Fucking MS deliberately fucks up updates to force us to 10, I swear!

warosu.org/g/thread/S62078645#p62089871

What the fuck, halfchan?

I'm getting a completely free thinkpad T470 at school. We get to keep it after school. Is it worth it to have it or should I just take the money?

I'm inclined to say "sell it and get a T430" but idk, I don't know much about new ThinkPads.

Whats a good price to buy a x220 for?

100$ if in good condition and the 10-in-a-dozen models with the 2520M, -/+ 150$ if it's got a IPS panel and/or i7 CPU.

Seems quite powerful for the cost TBH. Should suit my needs nicely.

Thanks for the help bro.

Just bought a T60: link.marktplaats.nl/m1197564776

Unknown specs, no battery and charger, sounds like a nice project now I finished my T22 and T23!

Oh, and I installed AntiX on my UltraBay 2000 HDD Adapter yesterday. Works quite fast tbh!

Is the x200s a good model? looking to learn linux and learn languages on it. new to Holla Forums any help would be appreciated

Yes, last one without the cancerous keyboard layout AFAIK.

That said, I hope to get my T60 in the mail tomorrow or Saturday.

Can a T530 with the nvidia add on do engineering autocad and light games like skyrim and civ easily or should I go with something like an aser nitro 5?

Does anyone know if a "Lenovo"-less version of this decal exists for the T60?

For the love of god avoid anything Acer. It's trash.

Cool, my local computer guy has a T61 (Intel GPU though) motherboard, idk if the T60 I bought is 14.1 or 15.0 though.

no, because Lenovo made the laptops

Well my x220 cant handle even basic graphical work. It cant even run Orcad, or morowind.
Whats my options.
I cant afford an alienware or msi. And wold prefer staying lenovo.

X230 + eGPU?

Well, duh, I just want a Lenovo-less T60 to maintain some consistency with my T2x's.

Help me guys, I'm drowning in laptops and I don't know what to do!

Acer
Aspire V3
Dell
Vostro 3460
Fujitsu
Lifebook T2020 Tablet
General Dynamics
GD6000
HP
TX1000 Tablet; Mini 5103
IBM/Lenovo
X200 Tablet; X60s; R52; T43p; T42; X41; X40; X31; X30; X23; X22
Mitsubishi
Pedion
Sony VAIO
PCG-K45; PCG-F420; PCG-FX210; PCG-Z505JSK; PCG-Z505JS; PCG-Z505R; PCG-N505VE

I keep telling myself that one day, I would do something with them, like make a Youtube channel about them, but I've been too lazy to do so.

...there are T43's that don't have a GPU which shit itselfs after 5 years?

That said, how do you like the GD6000?

The original batter has held up surprisingly well, given that its 6 years old. Screen is easy to see outside, but the panel and resolution are nothing special. Wish the keyboard had a little more travel, but it feels average for a laptop it's age. It feels pretty solid, but I haven't had the chance to compare it to a Toughbook yet.

You should make a channel where you do usability comparisons, like aesthetics, ergonomics, drivers, etc. Anyone can look up spec sheets online, but you have a unique position to be able to talk about their physical features and everyday enjoyability.
Would be really interesting desu

okay, asking price is 120, its upped to 6 gigs of ram, is this a fair deal or should i offer less?

USD currency

Way too expensive tbh, I would get a cheaper one that needs some love but that's just me.

Getting my T60 in the mail tomorrow btw, can't wait!

even if i can talk him down to like 75? theres an x60s right now asking for 70, am i better off talking him down to 40-50 bucks than the x200s talked down to 75?

I'd start with 40$ and stop at 55$, if he still doesn't budge just walk away.

for the 200 or the 60?

Offer him 40$ for the X200s, or try offering 75$ for both, if it's the same dude.

different sellers, offered them each 40, going to await response and see what I can work out. Also once i start installing linux, which do you recommend? for someone just starting out but considering career in EE/CS/CE? i actually have an interest in understanding the software vs something thats easy and looks cool.

Install Gentoo

Just kidding, try this: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

haha so it looks like mint to gentoo would be the optimal path for learning? lol i appreciate all your help by the way

oops nvm thats what i get for skimming lol. compromised

I almost thought fuck when I saw picrel, but then I thought "Intel iGPU = Libreboot compatible!"

Maximum Freedumbs, here I come!

Story time

The laptop was not dropped nor hit with anything, and the laptop never left my room. It was mostly left closed and unused because reasons. This is the shittiest quality I have ever seen in a screen. What a flimsy piece of crap these laptops are.

I guess it's a excuse to get an IPS panel.

Never had issues with my X220, even though I had it only for like two months at most back in 2015.

Good one on the IPS panel, you'll love it.

fuck, the dude wont budge from 60 bucks for the x60s, i think im still gonna buy anyways, stop me now if its a bad idea lol

Yeah, that was sort of the plan. I can't fucking stand typical tech channels these days. "Oh look at this $3,000 laptop I bought on ebay for $30. Look at my buzzfeed-tier clickbait video. Now, allow me to read off a wikipedia page about this laptop."
I wanted to make a channel, similar to that of Regular Car Reviews.

>tfw you have 2 or 3 broken t60's all dead for various reasons iirc its due to the screens breaking in some form or another so for example I remember one of them the ribbon cable would not stay connected to the screen so I put tape over it to keep it held together. However after a year of it holding like that it broke and wouldn't work no matter what, I fucking hate the screens on those fucking things so much in fact I down graded to an x60 because it had none of that screen bullshit.
Why live. At least I have an x60t that kinda works atm. No operating system wants to install and if they do my usb wifi dongle doesn't work, the dock doesn't want to work half the time so I can't install via cd, the only computer I have access to to troubleshoot is a shitty mac that wont format a usb drive half the time. God damn it. I need to really learn my shit. I've been doing this all day and its fucking killing me, not using a computer for non school shit for two years really fucks one up.
/blog

Oh and on a side note, is it normal for wifi cards to not fit in an x60t? This is with and without the little extenders you put on the end of a card so they should fit. I got two little extenders for this thing and neither of them want to fit. They are just slightly too big.

Just got my T60, too bad it's in poor condition but oh well, I can't expect much from a 3$ T60.

You're properly pushing it down into the slot, right? It almost sounds like you aren't fully seating it, hence the 'slightly' too big.

And I just bought a top-end T60p WITH the UXGA IPS panel!

One problem though: I have to wait 2 weeks until the seller comes back from vacantion.

It may be not a bad deal, depending on the specs and where you live.

Oh shit, where did you get it?

Some dude on my local adverts site had a few hobby laptops and this one was lying between them. Just installed Vista for shit's 'n giggles.

I live in LA area i ended up not pulling the trigger cause guy was kind of a douche, right now im looking at x301, x220 ips and x200 tablet dont know which to get for a first timer lol

You'll love the X220 with it's IPS panel, especially if it's a i7 one.

yeah i was going to get it, it has win10 on it though :/ is that easy to wipe? or should i tell him to keep the ssd and just put my own?

and its an i5 one lol

Wiping isn't that hard, any Loonix distro for newfags has a fancy GUI for it.

Must be a 2520M like most X220's then.

so consensus is x220 > x301 or x200 tablet for someone new?

Thinkpad tablet is the best IP-KVM / Inventory dock PC I've owned got it for cheap at like $85, dock charges 4 batteries at a time and the barcode scanner works great for sending emails when packages comes in. If only I could get the serial barcode scanner working on linux :(

Ok maybe its because I'm retarded but it's taking my x60t over 4 minutes too boot. I wouldn't be complaining normally because this is an old computer. but this was not happening till I started distro hopping (I didn't realize how out dated trisquel's repositories are.) Trisquel boots and brings up the log in screen in less then 30 seconds while everything I've tried installing at the moment takes at least 4 minutes if not longer.
TL;DR computer takes forever to boot, recommend a distro or a fix.

Thats probably it to be honest, I'll try that soon.

Try using systemd-analyze to see what's taking so long. It keeps track automatically, so if you already have a systemd system installed and it's powered on you don't even need to reboot.
Run "systemd-analyze blame" to get a list of services and how much time they took, or run "systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg" and open plot.svg in your browser to get a fancy chart.

Strange, unless I'm interpreting the image wrong it says that starting everything up takes 12.118s.

That might be how long it takes by the time the kernel actually starts PID 1, which means the problem is either in the kernel or not in the operating system at all.
Can you try installing the release of Trisquel that booted fast before, and see if it still boots that fast?

Alright sure, give me a minute.

Oh and for reference this is what that command spit out
svgur.com/s/2r9

My first thinkpad I got is a x220T, and I really like it. x200 is good if you really dont need any graphical power and dont care about watching anything above 720p. x301 would be decent if you want a slightly bigger screen, but i would recommend the x220 if you want the classic keyboard or the x230 if you dont care about the keyboard. Both models have the tablet option if youre into that.

Alright so I got Trisquel booted up. The first boot was full of errors, something about usb? Well anyways that only took 1 minute roughly. Boot number two only took 9 seconds and all other boots took 9 or so afterwards.

Is 97C normal for an x220 under full cpu load? I replaced the thermal paste and installed thinkfan to boost up the fan but it still gets up to 97C eventually. I ended up having to disable turbo boost and hyper-threading to keep it at reasonable (mid 80s) temps.

Just got my x220 for 100 bucks, turned out to be a tablet too, i think i scored pretty good. now just to figure out how to reset windows without admin password....

Got my x220 for 100 bucks! turned out to be a tablet version too. i think i scored. Does anyone have access to a windows reset without admin password? dont really feel like purchasing the disc lol

perm marker job

thepiratebay.org/search/Windows 7 x64/0/99/0

Does anyone know of some cool/useful ExpressCard slot accessories?

How? I can run it on my X200.

eGPU. Picrel is a GTX650 hooked up to my CF-31 via a ExpressCard EXP GDC Beast, I now have a case and a GTX1050 in it.

Works pretty well in GPU intensive games, not so much in games like Gmod though.

That.. is not a ThinkPad tablet. It's a Toughbook H2 Field.

tards

That looks like a 14.1", the 15" has a wider keyboard bezel. Also the Intel T61 is better, Nvidia T61 has higher failure rates.

You fuck, I have been thinking of doing the same exact thing for years. I'll get to it tomorrow, I swear.

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to replace the 18650 cells in my T440P's battery? They have a micro controller wired to them, and I wasn't sure if it wold accept the new cells.

I got windows 7 system recovery for lenovo on a usb flash drive. i tried plugging it into my x220 and booting for it but got a partitioning error. what do guys?

The cells can be replaced but triggering the under-voltage detection will disable the battery to prevent fires so you either need to keep the old batteries wired together as you replace the cells to maintain voltage or figure out how to reboot the protection circuit after you rebuild the pack. Make sure you buy good quality non-fake cells and it's important you don't heat them up when you solder to them, really slather the contacts in flux and solder it very briefly.

My x200, under full load, doesn't go above 70/75C
Maybe, try to clean as well as you can the copper plates of the cooler, and to apply the right amount of thermal paste.

Early lenovo Thinkpads are okay, user.

Because it is 14.1 you dingus, >>78817

brb kms

FUCK. I just spent 80$ on a POS, eugh.

I'm actually jealous as fuck
That's what I get for living in third world countries, I guess

YES! The seller ended up being very based and is going to refund my $$$$ when he comes back from vacantion.

Or I can still get it, up to me. Should I just go for it Holla Forums or get refunded and search a factory T60p Flexview?

LMAO halfchan is flipping their shit over Toughbooks in the /tpg/ threads: warosu.org/g/thread/S62264488#p62270918

Mass execution of rulecucks and other faggotry when? archive.is/ZkpnM

Just saw RMS this evening and got a ton of FSF stickers as well as his signature for my Thinkpad. I needed them too as the plastic cover on battery was coming apart.

I have a Toughbook CF-27 sitting in my closet, but don't know what to install on it. What OS can a Pentium II possibly run?

Puppy Linux?

is that you ffaggetts

david hill doesn't get a cent from used sales, why fret?

anyone got experience with Getac? seems to be a more esoteric alternative to Tonkabook

Awesome specs, shit-tier support. Don't buy if you don't know what you're doing.

I got a question for ThinkFags: can I use a T61 14.1 widescreen chassis with my T60 14.1 non-widescreen screen?

Ssd upgrade is a must on theses old things no matter how much ram you upgrade. Even with ssd drive it on some models is gimped, but still more tolerable by modern expectations

But anyways the main issue is the TN displays will have you clawing your eyes out regardless

Did I do good?

Not too bad I guess.

SSD is definitely a worthy upgrade, and so does 4GB RAM.

Saw a A22p on a flea market earlier today, didn't took it because the seller was some dyke faggot that didn't want to do anything about the price.

Was in good condition though, oh well.

Cool
That's just an extra battery to prevent data loss, right?

Also, would there be any proprietary firmware inside? I'd assume it would be unnecessary since SATA is SATA, but the battery got me thinking otherwise.
I'll try to get into it later.

What is the model of this Thinkpad?

Looks like a black model to me. Might be from IBM. The gay rug, japanese consumerism, exposed treated pine and worship of 'business skills' tells me that the owner is a poor loser, maybe a NEET, and is probably holding a pre-Nehalem device, but also not holding a collector-tier 'vintage' Thinkpad.

L U R K M O A R

Looks like a 1/8 scale Yuki Nagato made by Alter JAN 4560228202076 to me

it's an x40, you can just about make it out in bottom left of screen

rubenerd.com/freebsd-gpt-thinkpad-x40/
double confirmed, spoonfeeding complete

Went looking for a T43 with a SXGA+ IPS panel, didn't do it because pressure spots on screen and I had a issue that needed more attention that some random ThinkPad.

Absolutely not

I just picked up a 14.1" T42 for $20. It has:
It didn't come with a charger, and when I tried to power it on, literally nothing happened, no lights whatsoever, no screen flicker, nothing, so I'm pretty sure the battery was 100% dead. The thing was pretty fucking crusty, literal cheeto dust infecting it, so I took it apart and cleaned everything. Right now I'm just waiting on a charger from Ebay, so hopefully when it comes in I'll be able to get this thing to work.

Not too bad I guess, should get a P-M 755 to replace that shitty Banias one. Oh, and max out the RAM, DDR1 isn't expensive either.

That being said

what's the matter with the T60?

Lots.

Ergo, trash.

yeah. i'd leave whatever ads you have up for it, I'm sure someone will buy it eventually.

Aw fucking yeah, someone on Toughbooktalk managed to kill the Jewtel ME botnet on his CF-19 Mk6: archive.is/DO1bQ

Whats the touchscreen support like for arch? I managed to snag an x220t from my schools tech support area and its an i7. 6GB RAM and i threw a solid state drive in there. Im prob going to use it for DMing my DnD games as its pretty light and can be passed around pretty easily.

Holla Forums needs one of these just to piss halfchan off.

Got my TrackPoint nipples in the mail, at last I can use my T22's pointer properly.

Got my T60 keyboard in the mail.

Yes, that is a Sony MZ-R55 MD recorder next to it, and my T22 in it's dock.

Does "halfchan" even care about us?
And which fraction of the posts about it in this thread are yours?
I know we went through an edgy rebellious phase when the board was young, but it's ok to let go now.

About 40% of posts ITT are made by me. 4chan does care about us though: warosu.org/g/thread/S62078645#p62089871

I've got a T440s and I can't get the wifi card working with the sys-kernel/linux-firmware or sys-firmware/iwl7260-ucode drivers like it says on the wiki. Any suggestions?

There's your problem. Shitposting aside, what distro?

I want to use only free software on my x220 and w520.
What wifi card do you recommend I get as a replacement for intels proprietary garbage?

Go with Atheros. IIRC they're the only ones with fully free firmware.

Posting this from my hotrodded T60, now with a GTX1050 eGPU!

Sold my T60 for a tenner today, only 1€ less than I paid for it, oh well, at least I got rid of it.

There's a X32 on eBay UK too but the seller is asking way too much for what you get: ebay.com/itm/311957412085

Also managed to fix my CF-31's eGPU after a reinstall. Took me half a day, but whatever.

Fuck Nvidia, that's all I can say. They intentionally made it hard to get a ExpressCard eGPU working.

AW YEAH: ebay.com/itm/272828970845

That's insanely cheap for a CF-31 Media Bay Battery!

Just got a T430 in the mail. It was only $225 with the dock. I needed it because my other laptop with hardware virtualization was slowing to a crawl running 8 VMs; hopefully this one does better (it has twice as much RAM and a beefier CPU).

I got a T470s (from work). It's excellent. Louder than my previous T440s though.

They shipped without the shitty touchpad that didn't have buttons this time.

Found a new wallpaper for my T23.

This is why eBay fucking SUCKS:
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-X32-12-034-Screen-Pentium-M-1-8GHz-1Gb-RAM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/311957412085?

ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-X32-12-034-Screen-Pentium-M-1-8GHz-1Gb-RAM-No-HDD-No-OS-Laptop-PC-/311962152109?

Same X32, 20 pounds more expensive. Fuck you too, eBay.

You wouldnt buy from ebay without searching it thoroughly for the cheapest option.

That IS the cheapest option, and the only seller for a X32 on eBay sadly enough.

I went with the p50.
Compare reviews between p50/p51 and see if any stick out as significant.

ALSO these machines come with different processors/screens/ssd/etc so make sure you know what you're getting. Xeon is nice but I never really compared it to anything else.

According to cpubenchmarks assuming you got Intel® Core™ i7 processor i7-2620M with dual-core (best processor that came with T420) it scored 3,832. My P50 came with Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz and scores 8,949.
Maybe that difference is all you need? But again make sure you know which processor that you are planning to order comes with the laptop if you're looking for some specific increase in performance.
And while the score from this xeon processor sounds high, it is actually somewhat low on the high end cpu list (which doesn't mean it is bad). Refer to this: cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Also consider the GPU which can be important too. I hope that helps.. Take some time getting to know all the parts!..

P-series are actually hilariously bad cooling wise, according to NBR.

Getting my CF-31 battery tomorrow hopefully, and at last I got my USB > PCI adapter in the mail earlier today. Sitll haven't tried HDTune on a USB stick though.

My Thinkpad has the keyboard's letters a bit yellowish. Can I do anything to improve its aesthetics?

Fuck, i'm not getting my CF-31 battery today.

Question though: I bought "The Windows NT Technical Support Training Kit" earlier today and I can't seem to install it on my T23, any reason why?

I have a T470, it's great.

Fuck yes, the battery I ordered ended up being brand new in box, 0 cycles!

3C serial code, which means it was made in March 2013.

Hmm, there's a 760 on my local adverts site: link.marktplaats.nl/m1206915368

Should I get it? No charger (which I think is a deal killer) though.

plebs

Yeah, no, I'll stick with a 1.2 GHz T23 or a pin+voltmodded T43p

What's the fastest libreboot Thinkpad?

W500, maybe X220 next year.

Just ordered a 4400mAh battery for my x61, lets see if I can stand using it as a daily driver.

eyy i got one of those, fun machine, shame that the extreme graphics chipset is kinda garbage compared to the p4's and celerons these things have

its not as hot as you'd think, it has a 3 pound dual fan copper cooler that supports up to 140w of bentium4 housefire, the 2.8ghz 68.4w p4 in mine stays below 60c even under max load, and the cooler is passive under 55c and only makes a slight hum at low rpm when above 55c

pic related

Hey I know you, you're that guy from halfchan's /tpg/ threads.

don't ask me how I know, except I do, been browsing warosu way too much lately: warosu.org/g/thread/S61637334#p61648583

I'm not too familiar with the history of P-series but just an hour ago I think my charger shorted or something when I plugged it into the outlet where it hisses at you so it's a liability to keep using it (and isn't charging my laptop anymore). I don't know if this is due to the newer designs not having a grounding plug or what.. Might just return it and save the monies.. If I still have time..

im all over the place user, if theres a tech board im probably shitposting on it

except /r/thinkpad, fuck that place, i swear to god everyone there is such an autist it makes Holla Forums look like facebook
"hey guise look at muh new (T470/X1C/T60), isnt it so (new and powerful/better than a macbook/old and useless)"
I swear, if you posted a T42 there, none of those retards would have any idea what it is.

I think you meant "fuck thinkpads.com and their draconian rules/admins with actual diagnosable autism"

nah i still think reddit is a bit worse
the community there has no idea why thinkpads are popular among nerds, they just think "this must be the good brand", not taking into account the price to performance value of used office laptops
the point isnt "thinkpad", its getting a lot for your money, eltiebook, latitude, whatever

so many people there are using brand new machines or X1C's and shit, lenovo yogas and chromebooks, and there isnt anything wrong with that, but they all but shun anything older than a T430

Sounds like you described the average laptop buyer in 2017, user.

Question, fellow Holla Forumsnicians:
I've been working with a T400 for 7 years straight now. I'm running
>[email protected]

When I look up recent specs of a T470, they are still at i7 2.7GHz dual cores, 8GB RAM and arbitrary SSDs. Will I ever need to buy a new laptop? I like the idea of a retro TP25, but it seems they are putting in a 16:9 display and charging 2000$+. Why should I ever buy such shit when my current one JUST WERKS(tm)?

kek, I wrote P9700 | 2.8Ghz

A T430 is still a pretty good deal. It's ridiculous that Apple can sell a brand new macbook with similar specs for 10x the price.

P9700 actually exists: ark.intel.com/products/42599/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-P9700-6M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Just installed Zorin OS 12 on my secondary CF-31 caddy again. Also had issues with my USB ports not working, ended up reconnecting the flatcable for it.

I know, but when I submitted my post instead of the processor there was [email protected] because of the formatting. By the way on leddit there are some guys running a core Extreme X9100 with >3Ghz in a T400. Sounds intresing, but I won't go through the hassle of a disassembly again.

X9100s are dirt cheap man, just do it and overclock the living FUCK out of it!

Damn shame the Dell D830 doesn't support a X9100 without pinmodding, otherwise I would have bought one with that glorious 1920x1200 panel.

Congratulations LelNoPo, you fucked up so badly with the T470 Retro Edition that everyone is gonna buy a X62 now.

Oh, and congrats to the ThinkPad itself though, love my T23 and T22.

Speaking of which, i'm probably getting a CF-19 Mk6 next week: ebay.com/itm/292076495894

$50 dollar Thinkpad X201 I'm looking at. If I got it it would be a good tinker system to flash coreboot on. My Libreboot T400 is my main

X201 can't do Libreboot, X200 can.

Are there any guides for flashing coreboot onto an X200? I'm fairly competent with soldering and electronics but I really don't want to fuck my shit up.

Read before you post, faggot.

coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x201

Why bother?

coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x200#Without_ME.2FAMT

X200 has a SOIC-8 or SOIC-16 SPI flash, you can hook that up with Pomona clip. How hard is it to read the fucking instructions on libreboot website, huh?

Anyone have or know anyone who's bought one of these boards for a Thinkpad?
51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html
I love my X200 but I really want a bit more oomph, wary of buying custom electronics from China though.

51nb is chink shit for high prices, if you really require 4:3 you might aswell go buy a Toughbook.

Just bought a X31 with a UltraBase! Keyboard has three missing keys, but that's no big deal.

Specs:
Based on 2673-PXU: P M 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB 4200rpm HDD, 12.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, Cisco 802.11b wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), Secure Chip, IEEE 1394, 6 cell Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro

And sent. Now to find a keyboard.. too bad most of them are hilariously expensive and/or have ridiculous shipping costs, like this one: ebay.nl/itm/390914281579

37$ shipping to The Netherlands? What the fuck eBay?

Ordered one from china for $10, lel. I've got a second T400, will see how this will end.

Got it in the mail, palmrest is cracked so I ordered a complete upper case with keyboard.

Also did the no-1802 thing and replaced the WLAN card with a Asus WL-120G.

Serious Holla Forums-related question here:
Is battery repairable? I mean can i f.e. break it apart, put new Li-Ion barrels and not touch power controller and after all this it will simply work?

If so why isn't X200 superrior to any other thinkmeme? Currently all the batteries are almost dead on arrival and i think they are different in size and ports so X200 is not interchangeable with X220 (which atm i'm forced to buy).
And where do i get precious IPS screen for X220?

I'm about to shell out for a x230t.
I don't really need a new laptop, but it would help me in uni
Is the i7 really worth it? I already have a good rig at home
Also IPS are kinda rare i'm in the EU, should I wait until I find one?

X230t's all have IPS panels.

No, batteries are nearly impossible to recell. As for the screen: try eBay.

Just overclocked, undervolted and tweaked the living fuck out of my X31 and it's Windows XP install, off to defrag that terribly slow 4200 RPM Fujitsu drive now.

replace it with pata to msata and go with something like a 32gb msata ssd

I have a 7200 RPM Hitachi drive somewhere but I can't be arsed to transfer everything, maybe later.

LOL, the Fujitsu drive had about 80 million reallocated sectors.

In other words, dead drive. Just reinstalled and setting up everything again.

Back online, even though this Hitachi drive has two reallocated sectors.

Just bought a mSATA > IDE adapter and a 32GB mSATA SSD, since I fucking hate the sound that 7200 RPM Hitachi drive makes.

msata is just the easiest for old pata thinkpads, even though obviously you'll never get msata speeds, the ssd's are cheap and cool
i had one in my T42 and another in my R30, 32gb and 8gb respectively

An eGPU on an X200 via the expresscard slot isn't retarded right? Apparently the expresscard slot is just an mPCI-E slot, so you can use an adapter connected to a modest (but still a big upgrade compared to the iGPU) card since the mPCI-E slot and CPU will bottleneck a pricey one anyway.

No it isn't retarded, even a T60 can run a GTX
1050 via the EC slot:

Wew, though as I said, doesn't the mPCI-E format bottleneck a more powerful card?

Of course it does, it's only a x1 connection.

Oh, and I got b& on ThinkPads.com again, i'm not even sure what the fuck I did wrong but holy shit those people there are literal fucking autists when it comes rules it seems.

ebay.com/itm/82636140039

What the fuck? 1100 GBP for a X32 motherboard?

Derp: ebay.com/itm/182636140039

And it doesn't even have the heatsink.

Doesn't matter, because the X31 and X32 mobos are 99% the same, only the CPU is different.

ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P51-i7-7700HQ-FHD-IPS-16GB-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-M1200-Laptop-/253207073818

Anyone on an X200 or other computer with a 4th gen iGPU able to try running this game and tell me if you get a GPU hang when you go into either Campaign>Loadout or Freelance>Vehicle? I really want to get this working but the devs are small and busy and it'll be ages before anyone checks my bug report on freedesktop.org.

mega.nz/#!orgg2KiD!_UOI-hE7lDBqlMUEtcuoEcja1exSJcrAzsF9hrV3zps

Anyone else is free to grab it too, it's fun.

Funny, the Fujitsu drive refuses to die, I put it in my UltraBay 2000 HDD caddy and installed Lubuntu for shits 'n giggles on it, slow startup but it seems to be working fine.

Guess Loonix has better HDD fault tolerance than Windows it seems.

I got bored tonight and finally did something I was thinking of two years ago when I bought my T22: pic related.

Left to right: T23 docked, T22, X31 docked in UltraBase, turned off due to coil whine.

My L430 needs a battery replacement. Are there any known good sites that ships internationally or can I use the first best entry on ebay?

For a shit-tier machine like a L-series, just go with the cheapest on you can find, and upgrade to a T4xx later on.

Hi do you know if the new Thinkpad retro keyboard is interchangeable with x260 base keyboard ? That would be nice to have a better keyboard on my x260…

I have the i7 x230, I found a 16Gb configuration with screws missing for ~220 shipped. I played around with coreboot for a while, but I am still not totally comfortable using a linux distro for productive project work. I ran the ME cleaner script, and flashed my chips using a SOIC clip, although I've read conflicting reports on the efficacy of the script. I truncated the ME, and flashed my original image to the remaining memory. I replaced the BIOS with a modified version with the advanced menu, and the 16Gb RAM+eGPU fix. I replaced the keyboard with the x220 keyboard and flashed the EC to get the proper layout. I am currently waiting to receive a daughterboard so I can use a 1080p IPS screen. I'm pretty excited, and can envision myself using this thing as a daily driver for quite a while.

Loving that TRON poster .gif

As for your ThinkPad: you'll love it, the X-series keyboard is shit compared to the bigger ThinkPads though.

I was debating between the X and T series, and based on price/performance was seriously considering the T440p. I have a nice dock set up, and philosophically, I liked the small form factor + mobile workstation capability. I do like the new trackpads, and that's my only real complaint with mine currently, but the off-center input layout on some of the larger models (and the numpad) steered me away from the full size models.

What kind of price should I be looking for on a T420? I want to upgrade from my T410 so I can at least have a Thinkpad that can support OpenGL3.x.

I got a T430 for ~220, so less than that.

I'm looking for a X41t screen for my X31 but the cheapest original one I could find is this one: ebay.com/itm/BN-12-1-XGA-FL-SCREEN-ORIGINAL-IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-X41-PANEL-DISPLAY-NO-TOUCH-/161657710049

This the right one? I know I need to mod the cable but that's no big deal.

i got mine for 110 bucks in great condition, but dead battery

Good fucking god Linux is such fucking cancer:

Those are meta-packages. They only exist for their dependencies, they don't do anything themselves. Just be careful with auto-removing packages after that.
So you can delete them. But it is cancer.

Well fuck, I was about to play some TruckersMP and then I see your post. Welp, back to the X31!

I'm new, but looking for a good non-botnet laptop that can basically use the internet well (I'm using Brave browser atm).

Why do a lot of the laptops being posted here look ancient?

Also side question: is using Google Drive a good idea for non-private files like school notes?

Just got my T20 screen in the mail and installed it in my T22, shame about some pressure spots but then again, nearly every ThinkPad screen has them.

Guess that explains why it was only 12$ including shipping.

Pick 1
literally roll your own nextcloud implementation and don't be a lazy nigger, it can be set up in literally an hour

Any coreboot enabled laptop will get you as close as you're going to get. I would recommend Lenovo 220 and 230 series as they sit in a very small intersection of reasonable performance and decent opsec potential (all things considered). They are very inexpensive given their status as a flagship corporate machine and they are easy to work on with parts readily available online.

Ayy I got my mSATA > IDE adapter in the mail, how the fuck can something from HK come to The Netherlands faster than something sent from the USA? (still waiting om my palmrest+keyboard)

Just build your own laptop lazy fucks

Picking up a laptop from a pawn shop tomorrow for $181.00 (after Taxes) - I would have gotten it today, but the lady had to wipe all the previous owner's stuff off of it. I told her I would do it at home, but she insisted.
Its a 1-year old Lenovo G-50, Core i3 Intel Processor.
I'm going to chuck some more RAM into it and put in an SSD, maybe like a 128GB SSD Drive, no partition, nothing too big, and just make it a dedicated Linux 'Box' -
Any suggestions for OS?
I was trying to run Pure OS on another machine, but I can only get it to run live off of a USB stick which only pissed me off. I could image it over to the drive, but I think its not worth the hassle.
I'm leaning now a little more towards the lines of BlackArch now, as I feel that I would have more fun screwing around with that.
Maybe I will get another or an extra battery, depending on what this one acts like.
Your opinion matters and affects my self esteem. please let me know what you think.

PureOS is just a rebranding by Purism. I'd avoid it.
BlackArch is an edgy penetration testing distro. Not really suitable for this.
If you need to ask, go with some Ubuntu derivative, like Ubuntu GNOME or Ubuntu MATE, or go with Debian if you want to dive right in and force yourself to learn a bit more immediately.

Don't. Buy a T-series off eBay and go with that, much better than the shit-tier consumer stuff Lelnopo has.

Work in progress.

brb kms

There goes my weekend, thanks Pitney Bowes!

Just bought another shitbox for shits 'n giggles though, a Dell D410.

Has nearly worn hinges and a completely dead battery, but it works. Didn't expect it to have a 915GM chipset either!

How much is the X220 worth today with the i7 CPU, IPS display and 80 GB SSD + 320 GB HDD? Thinking of selling mine in Yurop

-/+ 200€ if you're lucky, not that I am willing to pay that much for a X220.

I think I would be happy with something around ~110€ if it was picked up. I guess I'll try around there.

Now you got my attention. Where in Yurop? Might be interested.

Email in field btw.

I am in Sweden and so it have a Swedish keyboard. If you are there then I will mail.

Well shit, i'm in The Netherlands. Too bad then, I guess.

Kinda expected this

Swede here. You don't happen to live in Luleå?

Hey folks.

I have a T420 with the extended battery, dock, and the battery that goes underneath too.

How much would I sell this?

I just bought a T420 with a minidock3 for $115 refurbished.

Near Göteborg

OpenBSD
NetBSD
9front
slim Linux distro

BeOS
Aros
Damn Small Linux
debian 3.0
OS/2

Have fun mate!

Palmrest came in the mail, installed it.

What can I do with my X31 now?

So I assembled the 10$ chinese X9100 and it works like a charm. I found some "guides" how to increase the multiplicator under loonix but I don't trust this so I will leave it with its stock 3.06 GHz at the moment. Can just recommend for every T400 owner. Best power for the money here.

fresh x220t here
after driver hell I'm getting comfy on windows 7, eventually I'll dual boot a simple gnu/linux distro.
Anyone know offhand how to fix the pen driver issue in PS 7? My pressure definitely works, just not in old photoshop, even with compatibility set to XP so IDK. I dealt with this a million times with the wacom tablet, now on an actual tablet PC for the first time, pulling out my hair etc.

I need a seperate laptop so I can compile my ASM shit and shitpost on 8ch. I've got a T440s but I was wondering would aX 220 be better?

Any suggestions?

I finally got my damn 7260 driver to work. Turns out that I was being retarded and use PWR lol

no, as far as I know the only thinkpads that can be flashed without opening are t60 and x60

is 20 canadian kopeks too much for a t20?
I would have to buy a new bios battery

It would depend on what editor you were using. Any non-electron editor can run flawlessly on processors core2 duo and beyond.
Form factor is probably the biggest factor for light processor usage like the type you described.

These sold out in minutes.

Do you have any links for how to do this? I got a t60 off fleabay, but the BIOS is locked.

I paid 12,50€ for my T22 and 310ED back in 2015, so no, GO FOR IT!

BIOS battery here: ebay.nl/itm/182721921666

Short the EEPROM for the BIOS password, libreboot here: libreboot.org/docs/hardware/

Fuck i'm blind, you wanted Coreboot: coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t60

Fuck, I should have closed the laptop bag it was in. Haven't booted it up yet, no external damage thankfully. aside from my wooden flooring getting damaged lol

My x200 got the palm-rest chipped.
You should tank the wooden floor for absorbing the impact.

Ha, good thing I archive.is'd this LJ page before it got purged: archive.is/wAQsg

The keyboards are utter shit on Toughbooks.

Well duh, they're supposed to surive nearly everything, you're not gonna write a entire fucking essay on a CF-31.

fucking canada man

Why the fuck are you complaining about Canadian shipping when you choose to live there? Either pay those prices or move.

Interesting. Got my ThinkPad screw covers in the mail, looks like China Post is faster than I thought!

Actually I take that back, I wrote some shit on my 31 last night and it wasn't bad. Must be because I have a BLKB and not the normal keyboard, I guess.

Would it be a good idea to superglue rubber feet onto my battery? They've come off before twice now, I'm afraid I'll lose them.

When I installed the msata into my x220, since I didn't have a screw with me I just used some tape. It seemed pretty secure, but would it be worth it to buy a screw and fasten it properly?

I don't see why not.

Don't be a poorfag and just get the M2 screws, tape isn't a "permanent" fixing material.

My old W500 (Centrino 2 vPro) keeps crashing on exceeding 100C temperatures from just playing YouTube videos. I've replaced the thermal paste and now I'm idling at 50C with a minimal install. Anything I can do to remedy this problem? I'm running obsd and a very minimal wm.

Is your fan even running?

Am having a weird issue with my X31 atm, every time I unplug the battery it forgets the BIOS settings, which is weird considering I already replaced the CMOS battery once.

Yes, I'm at a steady ~3000 RPM as far as my sensors say and I can feel the heat coming out of the exhaust.

I'd like to add I'm using an old version of Firefox from the ports tree and I've cleaned out my fan before, but it didn't have any buildup.

Pics?

I just grabbed a refurb T430 a few weeks ago and noticed it would go up to 100C from stuff like virus scanning and 7Zip decompression, yet the fans didn't get anywhere CLOSE to full-speed, plugged-in or not.
Grabbed a little program called TPFanControl (0.61), did some dicking around in the .ini, and now the fans turn off when it's under 50 degrees (which never happened before, fans were always on when the computer is on) and never really goes above 60. Even during the aforementioned virus scans and whatnot, the fans ramp up in time, so the temperature stabilizes at 70.

Funny, I don't need TPFC ever since I repaced my X31 with AS5. The fan only comes on when i'm doing intensive stuff like playing Deus Ex or starting Firefox.

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/fz-g1-tips-tricks-mods.809551/#post-10623052

Mind = blown! I can now ditch that mPCIe > USB + USB bluetooth thing for the original 6235 WLAN card in my CF-31!

Ordered a extender bracket and waiting for it to come in the mail somewhere later this month.

hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=70.00 degChw.sensors.acpitz0.temp0=86.00 degC (zone temperature)hw.sensors.acpitz1.temp0=96.00 degC (zone temperature)hw.sensors.acpithinkpad0.temp3=119.00 degChw.sensors.aps0.temp0=118.00 degChw.sensors.aps0.temp1=118.00 degC
Should I be, dare I say, worried?

lol

Yes, you should. Repaste and clean the fan.

See

Afaik, only the CPU needed a repaste, unless I'm missing some other components that also use paste.

I just swapped the motherboard on my X60 and reinstalled Gentoo. It feels good to have this machine working again.
I found a motherboard with the L2400 to replace the original T2400. The result is a cooler, quieter machine that lasts longer on batteries than it used to. This machine still gets hotter to the touch than any other computer I own, but at least I don't need to disengage the fan governor to keep it from overheating anymore.

Shoulda gotten something with a Core 2 Duo CPU if I were me, but whatever.

I thought about it, but in my opinion the C2D X60 parts are too expensive for what they are. I paid $15 shipped for this motherboard, and at that price I'm satisfied. Rebuilding this machine to X61 spec is also not much cheaper than buying a complete X61.
Mesa's i915 driver is now broken and deprecated, and an upgrade to a X61 would also let me use the i965 driver for the superior X3100 GPU. Portage makes it easy to revert the commit that broke the driver, but if they break i915 any further I will be very tempted to buy a X61 and use the X60 as a server.

I finally upgrade my thinkpad with the 8gb of ram that I order.
And yet I still feel empty inside

disgusting.

Not ThinkPad related, but look what I got to reinstall.

AMD K6 (with no L2 cache!) 475 MHz, S3 ViRGE 2MB, and 192MB SDRAM, thanks to a Compaq Evo from the same period that was heavily battered after a drop. hilariously, it still worked and the HDD is in that Toshiba

Even the battery works and only has 6.8% wear!

Battery will die very soon m8, try to find replacements

I want to completely rebuild the 44++ battery in my x230, as even new old stock's lithium has begun to degrade. I also see this as a good opportunity to take advantage of higher energy density in 18650 batteries. I have looked into common smart battery hacking resources, but I haven't found any for the 44++ specifically. I know that the 200 series batteries have been rebuilt successfully, but has anyone attempted this?

I think the best approach would be to wire the replacement pack up separately and attach it to the test leads on the controller (parallel) so as not to trigger the protection circuit.

Why did Lenovo waste their time making a "retro" thinkpad that costs 1899 with a shitty 16:9 aspect ratio and a FUCKING DUAL CORE PROCESSOR?
Why do they want the Apple crowd so badly? Don't they see that people that buy macs will only buy thinkpads if they come with a giant black dildo and a complimentary cuckold session with BLACKED.COM?

Does anybody know if they sell only the keyboard and if its possible to mod the newer models with it?

The biggest joke is that the chassis had room for the Thinklight attachment but they willingly chose not to include it

T500 works with Libreboot

SSD has other benefits. Lower Power Consumption, Greater Reliability, and possibly more affordable than unused vintage hard drive. Defragging SSD is full retard though.

WTF? Isn't the point of being a big enough autist to acquire 15 year old hardware to avoid intel ME , and run a free software stack? How could aquiring 15 year old hardware to run windows 2000 make any fucking sense? Its comically insecure and not remotely functional.

Did you replace HDD? Test it.

smartctl -t /dev/sda

OR

badblocks -sv /dev/sda

Boot ups are almost always limited by disk IO and its super slow, perhaps disk is shot.

JUST
Granted, for the T60's, this happened over a year or two ago and I might be able to figure out how to fix it now but I'm honestly not sure if I can or if I want to (also I might have damaged the screens but I don't remember if they are the nice ones for libreboot or the shit default ones) but still. I use a x60t for normal computer stuff but its obviously not perfect. Meh CPU, dock just stops working one day (computer turns on with a black screen if the dock is in the x60t), all alongside of battery's that won't ever fucking work (I've bought two battery's for this thing both coming in dead. Same has happened to the T60 years ago) I need to upgrade as I would like a computer for use at school and whatever really. Any recommendations? Honestly non Thinkpads are fine and half the reason I'm asking is because the consumer thread won't respond to me

Also I would like to ask a question, pls no bully I'm not perfect. I remember the last time my t60 broke I had put a piece of tape over the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the computer. As the ribbon cable has never liked me it fell off of course and the screen refused to turn back on even if I reattached the cable. Though I think the cable would also just not stay connected so that might be part of the problem. Does anyone else have this problem with their T60's screens and do they have a solution?

Just get an old desktop system, and then you don't have to worry about the integrated shit breaking, because it's a simple matter to replace monitor or other components.

Speaking of which, I have a T61p and the video is dead. Would have to replace the mobo. With a desktop system, I could just plug in any video card and be on my way.

Because I never had anything with Windows 2000 before.

That, and I upgraded to XP afterwards. Those ThinkPads only get used for shitposting on IRC and wiby.me browsing.

Looks like you have the infamous Jewvidia GPU failure from 2007-2008. Try baking (hue) the mobo as a temp fix.

What model should I get if I want to run a completely free software OS and make it as difficult as possible to not write programs, so the ability to run CDE and Emacs but not browse pornhub, though git would be useful. Would this even be a hardware situation?

I just aquired a G4 Power book with Openbsd. Its doing the trick.

im thinkin of buying a chinkpad as a desktop replacement, using only the chinkpad, thinking of getting x200/220
if the battery is scuffed and holds a charge for like 2 hours where can i buy a new one so it holds for as long as possible? or can it even be done?

used a pc my whole life, but falling for the thinkpad meme

at that age most of the new old stock batteries are degraded to some degree. my chinkpads of that era all have shot batteries that are only good for sleep mode.
make sure you know what you want, cause I know i can't stand only having a laptop.

New old stock? Lenovo sells brand new compatible cells from their website, albeit at about three times the prices of knockoffs.

It might be slightly cheaper if you can just manage to push the psych route, but otherwise, the earlier macbooks, not to mention some of the earlier thinkpads have free/libre bios replacements AFAIK (apart from libreboot). You want to avoid h.264 hardware decoding because choppy videos will turn you off.

that, epoxy, or even petroleum hotglue might work too.

yeah, the big part is being able to libreboot it
and i actually like the fact that its small
thinkingemoji.jpg
how bad is it?

Dusting, plus acquisitions of decent headphones.

The 2 I have from Kahlon only get about 2-3 hours each even on reduced CPU power. It's not so hot for an X-series.

Also not pictured: White Adidas stripe on the back of the display.

No issues here with my T2x batteries from VHBW.

I want to avoid h.264 period because that means I can just download the porn and watch it. Not to mention it's a patent-encumbered codec.
You say there exists other aftermarket libre BIOSes than Libreboot? Any that support things that don't have an apple logo on them therefore cost just as much as the machines that can play porn games and so forth?
What about the psych route? Where do I go to discuss that since everything that isn't cancer is dead?

For a thinkpad used only very lightly (no compilation, no high graphic needs) , pretty much as a terminal, what is the best thinkpad for this purpose? The thinkpad you would take anywhere?
t60? x200 tablet? x200? x220? x60? older?

Thanks.

It would depend on your form factor: x series(x200, x220) for small, etc.
t60 has the 4:3 screen which is nice.
I think it would mostly depend on what you can find for cheapest.

fuck it
fast as fuck

kali

Just installed Lubuntu on my X31, now to set it all up again.

I put an SSD into my X41.

I think I'll get me an x220, but I'm still tempted to get an x200 instead and go full muh freedumbz with trannyboot.

X41 != T22

sounds good to me

x220 with coreboot + MEcleaner is almost as good freedom wise. only things propritary left on it are the eithernet firmware, and the hallowed out corpse of ME. VGA op rom as well if you feel like you want/need graphical boot loaders or external displays before the OS has finished initializing the gpu.

IIRC they both use the same drive.

Holy fucking shit I just bought a CF-19 Mk2 for 90$ with only 210 hours on the clock, and in extremely good condition too!

Even came with a Kingston SSD in it too! Damn this thing is light compared to my 31.

No they don't, X4x's use a very hard to get 1.8 inch IDE HDD. A good 1.8 inch > mSATA adapter is useful though.

Or just get a X32, it uses standard 2.5 inch HDDs.

Fuck that shit, the CPU in the Mk7 is only 100 MHz faster and only the Dual Touch models get multitoch, no way that's worth 375€ more.

New thread:

I just got myself an x220 in 9/10 condition, feelsgoodman. Niggers sent me one with a 6cell battery instead of a 9cell though.