X86 VM wright in the browser

github.com/copy/v86

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RxQBshAgsNk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Given that you can't even open 5 websites in a modern browser without it freezing just from some JS to do something simple like layout the page, I sure as fuck hope I never have to use anything that relies on this.

Why would I care about this when I could use a webassembly port of qemu and have something that's both useful and usable?

Don't worry, it will only get faster with time.
And it will cut down on stupid shit like Angular, React, Knockout, JQUERY :D
Finally WEB UI can be simply native UI, like some Qt in a GNU/Linux. Or Win98, if a retro look is desired. All without all browser incompatibility horseshit.

So then my full hardware/software stack will be x86+Linux+glibc+Qt+qutebrowser+Blink+v8+WebVM™+x86+Linux+glibc+Qt.
Four of those layers are included twice. That means you took a wrong turn somewhere.

Chrome has had a task manager since forever.

It will never come close to Bellard's code.

You can choose a different host OS and userland. Nobody forces you to use Linux, glibc and Qt.

Why not?

nigga are you serious

I'm waiting for arguments.

And that makes it better how?
You have a fuckton of redundancy in there. You're translating from a perfectly usable software platform to a fake hardware platform to an unnecessary kernel to interfaces for software to communicate with that kernel. It's as if you don't like a bike seat so you mount an entire new bike on top of your other bike instead of replacing the seat.

you forgot some parts

x86+Linux+glibc+Qt+qutebrowser+Blink+v8+WebVM™+x86+Linux+glibc+Qt+KVM+Qemu+Windows 10+Edge Browser+Java VM

It's actually surprisingly fast, even when running Windows 98. I heard that even relatively quick emulators like QEMU are terribly slow if you don't use hardware acceleration, but even this emulator, which I would assume would be slower than QEMU as it runs using Javascript in a browser, seems at least fast enough to be usable, even when running graphical operating systems. Opening programs, opening files, and saving new files doesn't take too long (in fact, opening and saving files seems just as fast as on bare metal), even with additional programs running in the background. I tried opening notepad, typing some stuff, saving the file, and reopening the file, and even with a bunch of applications in the background (solitaire, sheep, etc), it didn't seem unusually slow.

I had heard that it takes ten minutes to boot Windows 95 in Qemu without hardware acceleration. Why is this implementation so much better? Is it just booting that is slow?

No, you're waiting for spoonfeeding you uncultured fucking ingrate. Piss off.

Because it's not running on an Apple Watch?

Vid related is on a PS3 -- certainly not an "Apple Watch." Also, it's booting a slimmed down version of XP. Despite all this, it takes ten minutes to boot.

youtube.com/watch?v=RxQBshAgsNk

Windows XP is much heavier than Windows 95. You can't compare them. It's actually a completely different operating system, not a different release. And the PS3 is more than ten years old.

seriously?

According to the video, the slimmed Windows XP took up 92 MB of space, whereas Windows 98 takes up almost half a gigabyte.

I know that the size of the disk image isn't a perfect way to measure how "heavy" the operating system is, but surely an OS that's been trimmed to one-fifth the size of another OS can't be too much heavier, can it?

QEMU doesn't special-case x86, though.

Where did I ever say it was Qemu's "fault?" I merely said that the speed of this browser-based emulator seems faster than I would expect, given the general slowness of non-hardware assisted emulators. I then provided an example involving Qemu, because that's the most common emulator I know of.

Yes. At some point this thread made me question the possibility of running a bootable DVD which would include Windows NT Workstation for PowerPC, and some custom drivers so it would run natively on the PS3 or this kind of platforms, other than some old IBM workstation or server that never been meant to run Windows.

It would be fun, however, on a console.

It's possible sure but should people rely on this?
No.

It's a tech demo that's all.

Hackers and hobbyists will save the day again because playing around in a remote kiddie pool won't do for real nerdery.

Look forward to another great schism and for the NormieNet to become the new TV and for the real console cowboys to move on to the next brave frontier.