Systemd On Suicide Watch - Poettering: 'Not a bug'

How is there not a thread about this?
heise.de/security/meldung/Aufregung-ueber-angebliche-Sicherheitsluecke-in-systemd-3761498.html

So you just need an admin, ask him to put your service into systemd and make sure that your username starts with a digit and then it will run with root privileges.

By the way, theres a lot of hate going on in the german forum, regarding Poettering being a huge faggot.

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/search.php
gobolinux.org/
redhat.com/en/about/blog/red-Hats-decade-of-collaboration-with-government-and-the-open-source-community
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tens
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free_and_Open-Source_.28FOSS.29_operating_systemswithout_systemd_in_the_default_installation
fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/composingsystemservicesinguixsd/
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=OpenRC,_an_alternative_to_systemd
wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC
abchk.in/2014/06/using-openrc-on-arch-archbang-manjaro-linux/
systemd-free.org/migrate.php
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161204.215049.93e768e9.en.html
lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20170630.055339.e003a0c7.en.html#20170630.055339.e003a0c7
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170630.055339.e003a0c7.en.html
ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3341-1/
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170630.070231.3eff71f4.en.html
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6300
youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8MUnlT9Oo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

See

Still not asking for it. Don't tell Poettering to consider security, tell hackers not to hack.

lel, I see you have your reasoning straight. Consider applying at a girls code academy(tm). Your local merchant will thank you.

Kek, distrowatch has a separate category for "Not systemd" distrowatch.com/search.php

I didn't even know you could create usernames with digits on it.

Nice!

Nice and accurate!

Saved! While laughing about the situation. This is the point of no return for systemd. Anybody still using it after Poettering's reaction is straight up asking to be abused, and is clearly not capable of making informed decisions about system administration.

What should be used instead?

Why won't someone just fork the project and maintain a sane debotnet version? Or is everyone just going to continue to bitch how horrible systemd and potterfag is but do nothing about it?

Because systemdicking was jerryrigged like a fucking lemon from the start.

Anything else. Unix's forty year history leaves you with a whole bunch of init and service management solutions to chose from.

So Linux is a dead end now? Is systemD a backdoor attempt by Red Hat to get control of Linux for their corporate control and ((( $$$ )))? I am not well versed on the issue.

Reminder that gobolinux.org/ has it's own init system.

Redhat has recieved US Military contracts (cue the cia nigger meme)
redhat.com/en/about/blog/red-Hats-decade-of-collaboration-with-government-and-the-open-source-community
But the US military seems to have their stuff leaving systemd as well.
It seems more like a case of laziness on the part of redhat and an attempt to maintain part of their business model(network security consulting) by stalling the creation of more and probably some more competent init systems.

The place I work in uses numbers as login names in the servers, but they are IBM AIX and HP UX so no exploit for me.

This whole situation is so lulzy for us systemd opponents, we ere proven right all along; Pottering closes bugs immidiately if he finds them uninteresting or doesn't understand what they are about. This has been going on for years and it's allways the fault of anything but systemd. The distros that doesn't dump systemd now, should be shunned, mocked and considered enemies.

Looking for alternatives to shitstemd infested distros?:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free_and_Open-Source_.28FOSS.29_operating_systemswithout_systemd_in_the_default_installation

The alternatives are worse than systemd. Make a proper alternative and people will switch.

No, you fucking autist, you bitched about backdoors and how systemd was remotely vulnerable.
Did you know that systemd run daemons to run as ROOT if you don't specify a username?
Wow, zero day here. Massive bug.

No one wants a fucking alternative, any and all autistic shitstains who don't want systemd are already without it. Embarassing yourself on Holla Forums isn't going to convince anyone.

Okay, please tell me how I can work around RC scripts losing track of daemon child processes. For example, zombie apache processes. I'll be waiting for you to post the inevitable shell script hack that's different for each daemon,

That's exactly what I expected. Didn't bother addressing the problem. Overwhelming amount of distros are switching to systemd as the system administration of choice despite its and its developers flaws. Keep thinking this is some grand conspiracy by red hat as the alternative hacked up solutions continue to lose market share. Or you could try making a proper systemd alternative that addresses the use case systemd solves.

Fundamentally broken
Doesn't work with actual daemonized processes.
Fundamentally broken, core functionality in upstart jobs fail.

Wow gee this pretty much fucking narrows it down, dont it?

Fundamentally broken in several different ways. I'd tell you to stop using shit software, but you seem far too invested in being a systemd fanboi to pay attention to that.

Yeah too bad the real world doesn't work like djb wants it to, dipshit. I can have both approaches work using modern Linux kernel interfaces for free, and I don't have to use an autist init to do it, and my supervisor doesn't lose track of zombies nor does it loop forever when something shits the bed. Deal with it.

Users like you are fucking stupid and don't know what you're talking about, your interaction with init on a desktop or laptop is the occasional 'service enable '. And if you wanted plaintext logs, if they're not already set up for you, it's editing one line in a journald config file and then configuring syslog accordingly, probably changing two lines in its config to either read from a compatibility socket or reading from the in memory journal.

You don't know what you're talking about, dipshit. You're not an admin, you're a luser.

this kind of reasoning is why linux isnt taking over desktop

I'm not really that much of a poweruser, I'm comfortable digging around but I tend to have sporadic bursts of spending hours looking stuff up to get something the way I like it then go back to being a luser. At the moment the prospect of having to do that again doesn't appeal to me.

GNU/Linux

any one tried gnu shepard also know as dnd,
it is what guix uses it looks pritty good to me

as always; install Gentoo.

What are you doing?
protip, create a bin folder in your home directory and add the scripts you want in there, as long as your script file is set to be executable (chmod +x) it will show up the same as any other program in your terminal.
This makes your scripts accessible and in a good place.
Other good places for bootup or config are in ~/.xinitrc and ~/.profile
Your home directory should be pretty portable if you do it right.

Each distro wants you to use their own special snowflake utilities but basic POSIX ideas are often much simpler.

Calm down Lennart, if you die from a rage induced heart attack, the NSA will have to find a replacement stupid enough to like systemd, but smart enough to maintain it: a tough nut to crack.

GNU Shepard is great! In fact I'm using it on GuixSD. See more here: fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/composingsystemservicesinguixsd/

1)remove systemd (pacman -Rdd systemd libsystemd systemd-sysvcompat)
2)install pacman -S openrc-base and other necessary openrc packages
3)rc-update all necessary running services to openrc and learn how to use open-rc
4)configure .rc and .conf files in /etc/
5)add pre-systemd usermod groups then reboot
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=OpenRC,_an_alternative_to_systemd
wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC
abchk.in/2014/06/using-openrc-on-arch-archbang-manjaro-linux/
systemd-free.org/migrate.php

It's not really that hard, right user?

Just use runit.

We can't confirm for sure but at least on a technical level we know that's it's an aberration.

lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161204.215049.93e768e9.en.html

lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20170630.055339.e003a0c7.en.html#20170630.055339.e003a0c7
An out-of-bounds write was discovered in systemd-resolved when handling
specially crafted DNS responses. A remote attacker could potentially
exploit this to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) or execute
arbitrary code.
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170630.055339.e003a0c7.en.html
ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3341-1/
please have a look
at the US patent 20150040216-A1 "Systems and Methods for Restricting
Application Binary Interfaces" filed by Paul Moore, Dan Walsh and
Lennart Poettering on behalf of Red Hat inc.

lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170630.070231.3eff71f4.en.html

More and more people besides the devuan community are getting angry and awareness about the systemd forcing (and design) is emerging.
And in all this questioning you can see the debian shills trying desperately to say that you have the choice and that systemd was never forced onto people.

To be honest I wouldn't mind systemd if it stayed what it should have been aka an init.
Red hat could have developed their other functions separately of systemd under another name without forcing them and sysadmins would have been happy too.

Runit

why in your home folder? /usr/local/ exists for this very reason, doesnt it?

I realised poettering was a failure at life when I realised you couldn't get audio from a specific pulse client.

it reads like a list of meme distros.

CBFd tbh desu

This project seems very interesting.

/usr/local is global no? It can also be populated by package managers, you don't really want to backup pip installs from apt if you just want your scripts.

~/bin is just for you and will only have things you put in there.

While this is interesting, it completely violates the LSB. Maybe put all programs in /usr/packages/// and then symlink to /usr/bin, /usr/share, etc.?

please user. hes not running a multi-user system for a university or something, it doesnt matter if its global, and thats exactly what /usr/local exists for.
dont make the system of bins even more complicated than it already is, pls

Won't I gum shit up if I just remove it when there are other packages dependent on it?

Nix and Guix do something similar to that, but with package hashes and a hidden subdirectory of each user's home directory. You might like to take a look.

There are eudev and eudev-systemdcompat packages to covert that shit up, read the documentation on how to migrate.

/bin - binaries
/sbin - static binaries
/usr - UNIX system resources
/usr/local - local, machine-specific resources

Most packagers don't have any idea what the rules are anymore and arbitrarily scatter packages all over the file system. Just put your stuff where it won't collide with your package manager. I personally use /usr/local most of the time, or /opt if something else already lives there.

Not disagreeing with you, to be clear.

That's a backronym. The real story is much more stupid.

Back when Unix was created, hard drives were very expensive. Bell Labs had a lot of money, though, and shelled out for a few drives sized around a megabyte each (!)
By the time Unix was in a state where it could be used for actual work, and it had switched to a filesystem structured like a tree, user files were put in /usr (similar to the role /home has today) while system files went in /bin and so on. /usr was on the second disk, the other directories were on the first. But Unix kept growing, and one day, the first disk was full. It would take a while before they could get a third disk. What could they do to solve this conundrum?
They started putting new parts in /usr instead, with the user files, on the second disk. They moved over some old parts, too. The second disk was mounted late during the boot sequence, so none of the really critical stuff could go in /usr, but otherwise, it offered a working solution.
Change is hard, so forty years later, we're still putting half the operating system in a repurposed user directory, just because Ritchie et al. ran out of disk space once.

it sucks no matter how you look at it doesnt it.
also, I read 'sbin' was for 'system binaries', I think in a debian manual or something.

/usr is for users on plan9, notably.

Good. The FHS is garbage that deserves to die.

time to start making rpms that quietly create root users in their install script.

I am not arguing for FHS nor am I telling him that /usr/local is wrong.
I have just found that distrohopping and backups are easier when you put your things in your home directory.

You can get autistic about FHS or you can do what makes sense to you.

github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6300

There's many distros that still use a decent alternative to Systemd. use these OS.
If you whine nothing will change.
If you show the distros maintainers that they fucked up forcing you to use systemd as default, and keep using their shit, it will go on like this.

I also use Windows. a Windows I know and have in control, not the new vista clone things.

Shhh...Whining is all they know how to do.

Thank you for the laugh.

YOU USE WINDOWS 2000, user?!?!!

Their is a difference between winning and showing other why they should gtfo of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8MUnlT9Oo

this is huge why is nobody responding to this

Because you can't be angry/explain why it was no good anyway/explain why it doesn't fix the issue/have any kind of other sensational reaction until it's either merged or rejected

Geee, SOOO profeshhhh

But notice it doesn't have systemd. This is single purpose os for liveusb(govt. workers staying in hotels probly) but still better than systemdildo.

Yeah, but with systemd it's still a suspicion that it may, or probably has, backdoors, while pds are a more or less common source of infection.
Cianiggers fuck their own butts.

Full retard distribution.

Shit like this makes me glad I don't use systemd.

CIA nigger pls go