Why is modern tech so fucking gay

Small rant.

I've been out of tech since about 2009, was happily using my old shitty hardware until my power supply blew and took my motherboard and shit with it. Looked at my old CRT and decided to upgrade to some newer crap.

Fast forward, got a new LCD, new board/cpu/ram/vid/SSD. put everything together and trying to install windows 8.1

wtf?

please insert a bootable disk blah blah blah

Displayport - no signal... wtf?

same shit

bios error screen as before...

So now I have to figure out how to get SecureCUCK happy so UEFI Poz will start the fucking setup process all while fucking with the monitor because displayport is a gigantic fucking faggot and pots the monitor into power save mode half the time, preventing me from seeing any POST messages.. This is gayer than any amount of jumper or dip switch fuckery. The sjw cianiggers have turned computers so fucking gay that I'm nostalgic for AT boards with IRQ conflicts.

Does anyone know how the fuck to install windows 8 on this fucking hardware?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.ccc.de/v/30C3_-_5499_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201312291830_-_x_security_-_ilja_van_sprundel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you have to install it like a normie

wangblows is shit

>Type in the product key (search a generic key on google :^), it will show up in the first results)

now who is the gay here?

try Windows 8.1 Embedded Pro

I also upgraded to new shitty laptop when my old Thinkpad mobo died. Well it just sucks, and I'm not buying another new one after this.

because tech is no longer made for those of us that know what we're doing. all the powerful hardware is strictly designed for gaming and sometimes video editing, the software is designed for people who've never touched a computer, and the aesthetics are overdone to look flashy so idiots buy it thinking it must be good if it looks crazy and has a shit-ton of colored LEDs.

and thanks to these idiots, tech companies can do literally whatever the fuck they want and not many people will hear about it or even care, which is how shit like mainstreaming closed-source and why Windows has become so popular.

computers stopped being about computing and programming and started being about talking to your friends over the latest most minimalist looking chat "app" while recording yourself playing shitty games to upload to your youtube channel for your 50 subscribers to see and sharing it to social media while you talk about politics as if you understand it.

The KKK agrees with you.

1. Disable UEFI-SRAEL / DR MOSSADS SECURE BOOT
2. Install OpenBSD

he's probably some pajeet/teenager trying to get windows working for his cuckedIDE/gaymes

Wangblows, not even once

You can boot in UEFI mode without secure boot. or even use your own keys, assuming you have a non-shit motherboard.

That doesn't save you from the hardware botnet

Thank you user, exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I will have to try my old dvd drive as the USB is not detected unless uefi is on.

Man after my own heart. Amen. An user in another thread a few weeks ago was complaining about "UI charlatans" making interfaces for retards and I agree. I was using windows classic UI on 7 and it was just so comfy, i heard they finally killed it in windows 8. Win95 shell was so easy, efficient and intuitive. In hindsight I can see how revolutionary it was for the time (too bad about 9x being the piece of trash it was overall)

Sums it up. Sad state of affairs. And to think messaging apps don't do a whole lot more than ICQ did in 1998 yet are several orders of magnitude more bloated and slow.

Rather than some veruion of lunix? I used freeBSD back in the pre-meth-whale 4.x days and looking ip h/v refresh to put into the x11r6 file was not my idea of a good time. Did BSD evolve or is it still as difficult to use? Can you tell me more about openBSD? (serious question). Also do you still need to compile your own kernel or it is largely irrelevant now that there is a glut of processor power.

We have a thread about OpenBSD here . tl;dr is that while FreeBSD focuses on performance, OpenBSD focuses on security. It has been responsible for several important security advancements and software packages. You are most likely to have heard of OpenSSH or LibreSSL. If your hardware is supported, OpenBSD should just work out of the box. It is also considered to be the best of the BSDs for laptop users. Custom kernels are unnecessary and explicitly discouraged in the documentation. X11 just works without any special configuration.

The reason he recommended OpenBSD over Linux is because Linux userspace is absolute shit this decade, and because Linus hasn't ever taken security seriously in the kernel itself. A typical Linux distro is more secure than Windows, but not much else.

I started with Slackware in 1995, when it had XFree86 and you had to configure modelines yourself. Nobody does that anymore. OpenBSD has their own* fork of Xorg, and it just works, without all that manual stuff. Normally you don't even need to create a config file.

* Fork is called Xenocara. Also see:
media.ccc.de/v/30C3_-_5499_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201312291830_-_x_security_-_ilja_van_sprundel

Is that laser-based data link? I've been wanting to do this for the longest.

Is that laser-based data link? I've been wanting to do this for the longest.

OP here. Made some progress. Normally wouldn't have posted but situation was interesting to say the least.

This is baked-in power saving faggotry. Long story short 90% of cables out there do not follow the spec and one of the pins needs to be disconnected. Solution, display port to good old DVI. Issue resolved. there was no need to upgrade DVI, it was perfect

Believe it or not this is the fault of the shitty asus board. I bought 3 GPUs and installed them in a way that made sense airflow-wise (skipped a slot to allow a more or less even gap between cards.) in this configuration the USB drive was never bootable, and when using the DVD setup gave error 0x0000017, something about not enough ram installed to load setup to ramdisk. Which is nonsense because the machine has 32GB and it passed 8 runs of memtest.

Solution arrived at completely arbitrarily: Moved the middle card to the previously skipped PCI-E slot and it booted off usb immediately. So now I have two top cards almost touching and a huge gap between card 2 and 3. Temps are high, I will make some cardboard ducts to help move the air where it needs to go.

Machine is way faster than my 771->775 modded Xeon quad core, but windows 8 is as bad as people say and the machine crashes every 18 hours or so. Could be underspecced power supply or some kind of thermal saturation going on (or just a shitty board. Is ASUS as good as they once were? Last board was an Intel board and while the opposite of feature rich, it was incredibly stable)

I will try to ram windows 7 down its throat, but now that the securecuck/uefi.co.il faggotry is sorted out I like the machine. Thermals will need to be dealt with so that means my old ca 1999 beige ATX workstation case will need to go and I guess I will have to find the least gaynigger-tier case available (unless I start cutting holes everywhere)

Do they still make anything in classic beige?

I have an Asus FM2 motherboard from 2013 that has been 100% stable for me. Temporarily removing one or two GPUs should tell you if the PSU meets your requirements or not. You could also plug your specs into pcpartpicker and see what the estimated power draw is.
No, not that I'm aware of. There are a few non-hideous plain black ATX cases out there, though. If you ragequit on ATX cases, 4U is an option. The pros of 4U are excellent airflow and interior space and that they are built for sysadmins instead of gaymers. The cons are higher price, fewer options, and a footprint closer to an ATX full tower than a typical mid tower.

Why would you bother with anything above Windows 7? I'd only use 7 if I needed a supported OS, and XP otherwise or maybe something older.
My modern monitor does this bullshit too regardless of DVI,HDMI, or VGA. As an example of one of the other 500 issues it has: when the HDMI source is selected and you unplug the cable, the screen turns full bright and blue, and you have 1 or 2 seconds to switch to another source or else you get locked out for about 10 seconds and then you can finally switch to another source.
>(((U)))EFI
Return that shit and get another box. I'm serious. I did this and it was faster than trying to fuck around with that trash and figure out what type of risk model it introduces. IIRC Windows 8.1 (or maybe just 8) requires hardware with (((U)))EFI, so if you get anything that says "SUPPORTS WINDOWS 8.1!!!!!", it will likely have (((U)))EFI. If you need something modern get something that says "SUPPORTS WINDOWS 7!!!!" instead.

btw the problem with this is that it will literally cause temporary loss of eyesight in certain conditions (for example you might get up at night to do something and suddenly you are viewing some 3000cd/m2 bullshit)

Proper support for SED drives.

i bet you dont even snack on carrots you fag

all these faggots who arent librebooting

the hell you want SED drives for? i never looked into them but they just sound like another sketchy product of the year

who is that chick?

Miss Lenova Thinkpad.

base user

faggot

well, at least it looks better than 7's shitty aero scheme

Figure I'd tell you this for your benefit, if installing from usb the usb itself has to be larger than 4gb, I really don't know why UEFI on every device I've had to handle with that fucking pozz won't accecpt a usb or disc that doesn't have 4gb of space but I can gurantee the corporate answer will be so full of shit it would stupify the most Jewish of lies.

THE IMPORTANT BIT
////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\
tl;dr 5gb+ USB/Disc fat32 file system or setup a server for PXE install
\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////

Yes this is required if even you turn cockboot off you're not getting around this. After that you should see an installer.

All these "hurr >windows" posts are so fucking tryhard, repetitive and boring.