Anime slut to catch your attention

Hey Holla Forums, I'm not a good programmer but I'm working on some shit thought you might like it and/or want to contribute.

Other urls found in this thread:

ifross.org/en/what-difference-between-gplv2-and-gplv3
scoutshonour.com/digital/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Construction_Set
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaZeux
web.archive.org/web/20090223183314/http://dev.c99.org/DreamZZT
github.com/c99koder/DreamZZT
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html
gadgetteaser.com/2010/01/21/professionals-still-lament-the-43-laptop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's still very much a work in progress btw

Why not RenPy?

When I used Ren'Py, it seemed to do many things its own way in an attempt to appease to non programmers. Love2D is equally easy, but much more flexible.

Never use +, the "new FSF" could make a retarded leftist GPL4.

to be honest i don't understand the licenses, or the difference between gplv2 or v3. should I be using v2?

I go over it in the README.

how does a piece of software that means to display images, text, and to play sound, take 7 fucking versions?

my idea is simple. The user gives the software one, maybe two text files and they have a working visual novel (obviously they should provide assets but you get the point)

Two seconds in google

ifross.org/en/what-difference-between-gplv2-and-gplv3

There's nothing wrong with using the GPL3+. If there's such a situation where the FSF publish a terrible GPLv4 license, all distributors are still allowed to choose to distribute the software under GPLv3.

I have no idea what b) or c) mean though, I don't speak legalese. I just want users to have the four freedoms

Seriously OP, you better of fork Solarus engine and turn it into VN engine instead

Shill me this. Why should I use it over the brilliantly simple and small (and cute) Love2D? It seems to be a big C++ program that runs Lua code on top, as opposed to a purely Lua solution

You should be using ISC or MIT.

Here's some feedback:

most of that is TODO, thanks for the feedback. I was working on a specific project when I thought it would be a good idea to generalise it, so I'm still in the process of doing so.

When you say quit using so many global variables, how is a table any different?

I use a lot of C, semicolons are nice

I don't want people to make my code proprietary. GTFO EA shill

You don't understand how this stuff works at all.

Someone else takes my code and puts it in their proprietary software, I have been cucked

How is that any different from GPL? Also I think it's funny given you're using a zlib licensed library.

GPL doesn't allow them to distribute it.

It does but that's not even the point, they only have to release modifications to your project, when requested, it doesn't force them to open their own additions. I don't know why everyone makes this mistake.

You misunderstand. Any modifications to GPL source must be released under the same terms and conditions, their own additions are forced to be Free Software.

Any additions to a 'combined work' GPL program must be '''GPL compatible'. This is the reason why it's possible for a free project licensed under Apache v2 can form a combined work with a free project licensed under GPLv3 and not GPLv2. The work that's licensed under Apache v2 doesn't magically become GPLv3, it just means that this section of code is GPLv3 compatible.

Can someone make my code into proprietary software if I use the gplv3

Under copyright law, such a person would not be permitted to distribute the 'combined work' as you haven't given any other permission to distribute you GPLv3 project. Remember that the GPLv3 is a conveyance license that's designed especially for software works. Violating the terms of GPLv3 means that distributors will lose the easiest legal way to convey the software which means they need to find some other legal way to convey that GPLv3 software. In practise, this often means paying a lot of money to the copyright holder for a different license to convey the software.

Ren'Py does do more than that though. There are even lewd Eye of the Beholder-style dungeon crawlers made in Ren'Py.

My advice is to keep it as simple as possible if you care about portability. I tried to play pic (uses renpy) but couldn't get it to run on OpenBSD. The tarball seems to have all src but there's probably a bunch of dependencies to jump trough, and maybe some of them don't even compile outside of the platforms they provide binaries for (Mac, Windows, Linux). Game is here btw:
scoutshonour.com/digital/

You can make that in Növel as well. Would require a couple lines to be added to the source but not hard at all.

However, that isn't the within the scope of the project.

LGPL would be fine for a game engine.

As far as I'm aware lookups to _G are more costly than local variables.

Use GPL2 if you want to make people's lives hell with no recourse over the slightest technicality.

How it works is this: someone fucks up once with your code, their license to use or distribute it at all is voided immediately. Standard copyright infringement assrape applies unless the vict- infringer negotiates a new contract with you. That gives you complete power over them - you can be like SFLC and drag them into FOSS compliance like they should have been in the first place, or you can be like Patrick McHardy and suck their bank balance dry, or you can just be a cunt and put them out of business.

GPL3 changes that by giving people 30 days to fix their own shit after they've been told to do so before you can sue them, which is why so many power-tripping narcissists hate it.

permissive licenses really do make you retarded.

Wasn't Ren'Py originally a fork of Pygame?

Would explain all the bloat

Show me a game engine that isn't bloated.

no. it's a thin wrapper on SDL2 or whatever display it uses

Look at the website mate, it does a lot more than you might think

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Construction_Set

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaZeux

this

ZZT also got ported to newer systems (pic is Nintendo DS):
web.archive.org/web/20090223183314/http://dev.c99.org/DreamZZT
github.com/c99koder/DreamZZT
For ACS, the Amiga version is nicest.

I'm sick of GPL people trying to pull the switcheroo, you're not fooling anyone.

OK
The GPLv2 grants you and everyone else the capability/freedom to:

So the license is pretty good you can do whatever you want.
You can Read, modify and share the source code legally and people have to do the same under a very simple condition, which is if you sell or give a binary you have to share the source code...until 2005-2006
In the 2000s the Tivo corporation found a legal loophole in the GPLv2.
That loophole is very simple, Tivo can't stop people from reading, modifying or sharing the code but they can stop people from executing it.
Tivo simply added a hash verification to their hardware.
Thus if you uploaded a modified version of your GPL software then it couldn't execute.
AKA: a DRM to hardware level.

And after this comes the GPLv3.
V3 gives to people the same freedom has before +:

This freedom is to especially combat Tivoization.

This very big problem is something that Torvalds didn't want to acknowledge and he's ok that companies don't let their customers own the hardware they buy.

But of course this is a simplification of what the GPLv3 does but it's accurate.

So what are the rules of the GPLv3
If you sell or share a binary to someone you have to share the source code.
If you publish a binary to the public you have to share the source to the public.
You cannot restrict how someone wants to execute the software.

Of course the GPLv3 can't stop developers from being piece of trash.
If for example a developer doesn't document his code then the software under GPLv3 isn't going to for him to do that.
Same thing if a developer inserts malware in it.

So them comes the compatibility with the GPLv3
Basically here are the major used licenses that are compatible or not compatible with it:
-MIT:compatible
-BSD:Compatible
-MPLv2: Compatible
-APACHEv2:Compatible
-X11:Compatible
-GPLv2:Not compatible
-GPLv2+*:Compatible
-Proprietary license: Not compatible
-GPLv3: Compatible
These licenses represent 80+% of the licenses used in the free/libre/open source world.

Here's a more complete list about that:
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html

*GPLv2+:compatible because the v2+ means that if the software under "v2+" is used in a software under GPLv3 the GPLv3 license is applied over the "v2" and if the license of the software is under GPLv2 then the "v2+" applies the GPLv2 license.
An example of that is the drivers in the linux kernel a lot of them are under the GPLv2+ license meanwhile the linux kernel is under GPLv2.
If these drivers under GPLv2+ are transferred in the HURD microkernel they will be under GPLv3 because the HURD is under GPLv3.

Extension:
So what's the difference with other licenses like the MIT or MPL ?

In the free software world we can divide licenses into two sides.
One is called Copyleft and the other is Permissive.
gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

Copyleft license are GPL or MLP etc...
Permissive are MIT, BSD APACHE etc...

So what's the difference ?
Well copyleft licenses tend to simply give freedom to the users in general, while Permissive licenses can grant developers or corporation the possibility to restrict users.

For example Minix3 is a microkernel under BSD and it infects every single Intel CPU based boards in the world and you can't change it.

So the problem with permissive licenses is that they can restrict people from doing what they want.

But GPLv3 is the only know license that protects against the tivoization loophole.

How the fuck is the LGPL a swtcheroo for the GPL?

Love2D isn't an engine.

Okay then doofus, what is it?

wew

Realistically, Intel would never, ever, ever in a million years give you any of their code or related secrets. So it doesn't matter that they used MINIX3 in this case, because if it didn't exist they would have just used an alternative, even writing one if need be. But there's enough proprietary stuff already, so they'd probably just have licensed one.
On the flip side, MINIX3 remains free for all to use, to do whatever you want, and without having to hire lawyers to figure out if you're in violation or not.
Anyway reading all these license derailments in most threads is annoying and useless, because it's not going to make the situation magically better. Use whatever you feel suits your project, but calling people names like is often the case on this board isn't going to change anything.
Personally I miss the old days before GNU and Linux, when it was all 80's micros and stuff in computer mags like Dr. Dobbs. This license shit is just one step below SJW tier.

Nice nostalgia, grandpa.

What's your definition of an engine, retard?

There is no FLOSS project that cares about SEO.

If you think this is only about nostalgia, then you have no perspective. When I go to computer store and look at the hardware today, there's nothing at all interesting or worth buying. It's the same boring Intel boxes or ARM tablets everywhere. The 80's home micro stuff had merit because it was actually designed for use by hobbyists and hackers. Now it's just consumerist junk, all of it. Hell you can't even find a decent business laptop anymore for the past decade. That really says it all.
gadgetteaser.com/2010/01/21/professionals-still-lament-the-43-laptop/
Of course it also doesn't help anything when most discussions are just empty talk about software license. In case you haven't realized it, you're squandering the one thing that's not replaceable: your time. By the time you do realize this, it will be too late.

Yes and ?
The whole intel ME is just software parts smashed together that where made by external software companies.
My point is that if minix wasn't under shit copyright jurisdiction it wouldn't have been used so badly.
I mean who in his fucking mind would want his piece of free software to be used to subjugate the whole world ?

Because the GPL does ?
Their isn't a violation problem has long has hardware manufacturers or others wants to be clean with people.
And when I say clean I mean just letting them do what they want.
Honestly if android was entirely under GPLv3 how many people will be able to remove the botnet functions ?
Less than 2% of the userbase.
At least the people who want to GTFO of it can.
And they own their hardware.

>Because using permissive license are magically helping people :^)
It helps people to understand in what they are stepping in.
It's also part of the history of free software.

Are you hight ?

And what did make that end ?
Oh yes closing literally everything and not letting people own they shit.

I got to agree with this.

Because obviously not talking about software license when it's mentioned will make 4:3 screens magically come back.

And then you fags wonder why no-one is using FLOSS alternatives. Maybe you should take thirty seconds to increase visibility on the project you've spent years working on.

4:3 is objectively worse.

Do you really think posting anime sluts will get you attention?
post more

I don't think you understand - 16:9 or 16:10 both allow you to fit all the content you would fit on an equally tall 4:3 monitor, but with extra space. I don't see how you can deny this, monitors aren't compared in terms of horizontal size, that would be ridiculous

The point is that they'd rather have a laptop with more vertical space, and dont care as much about horizontal space space you goddamn idiot
so they'd rather have a bigger 4:3 than a 16:9.
its not 4:3 but better, its slightly extended 4:3 instead of bigger 4:3.

a bigger 16:9 is the same as a bigger 4:3, but with more horizontal space.

Hmm. Which monitor has more vertical space?

Allow me to save everyone's time.

Big problem with your infographic - 4:3 monitors are NOT taller than they are wider

Good god, you're retarded
Go compare a 24" 4:3 monitor to a 24" 16:9 monitor and see which one has more vertical space

The implication is that the GPL is the original cuck license, advocates are trying to "switch" that.

How is the GPL (or even the LGPL) cucked though? Makes more sense for the "go ahead and fuck our users if you want" licenses.

Considering the average tard that browses this place?

Yes.

fuck you Holla Forums

You came to the wrong place for relevant discussion. This is /rmsfanclub/ but it's called Holla Forums so they can troll you good.
Try the game dev forum, but nothing with 'libre' in name because that's probably bait too.

There's a reason most people avoid Holla Forums like the plague. If you want feedback post in Holla Forums's agdg threads.

It's an engine for fucking visual novels, they're literally just scrolling text and fading images.

You don't need an "engine" for it because you can code the base for such a """game""" in a weekend.

So genius, how do I implement scrollback

Ask for 10k on patreon

Trap?

nice