I am angry because it seems to me like the minds of the people I love have been hijacked by a stupid culture...

I am angry because it seems to me like the minds of the people I love have been hijacked by a stupid culture. The people that I love are mean because they are unhappy because they don't even know how brainwashed they are. I can't stand to be around them because they are so unpleasant. They don't even understand how dysfunctional their own thinking is. One moment someone will be being an asshole to me, acting ultra-confident in a kind of consumerist way, and the next, they are talking about how stressed out they are.

What can I do to change this?

Or are they really happier than I think they are?

Other urls found in this thread:

robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/cs689/papers/anderson72more_is_different.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does information have to be stupid in order to be widely consumable?

They are happier than you think they are. You are not the John the Baptist of Holla Forums

Apparently YES.

You can't change too much unless people are open to change in the first place, just like it would be foolish to try and plant on salted earth.

I'm sorry, what the fuck does that even mean?

please calm down

kek science is irrelevant without philosophy

Wow that really required a lot of philosophy!

It did. All the formal tools science uses and the scientific method itself are a philosophical invention.

Hawking pls go.

Fukken saved

Not to mention figuring out what you want is a philosophical endeavour in the first place.

is this what you guys mean when you decry "positivism"?

I hope you're posting that pic ironically.

…you're not.

I'm CS researcher and even I know that philosophy matters. Is this "philosophy is ded" thing seriously becoming a trend among students/researchers of natural science, or is it being pushed by just a few fucktards?

I think it's in capitalist society as a whole, friend. Because now we know the answer, the uncaused cause. It's the market. But really, muh reification, muh spectacle, etc. Who needs philosophy anymore? Does it make money? No? That's why we have the spiritual charlatans and life coaches instead.

I think you should encourage more mass immigration OP. Nothing decreases social alienation and atomization more than being surrounded by hordes of dumb, hostile foreigners.

Yeah, who needs Kant, hobbes or Hegel or Plato when you have TEDx talks and Steve Jobs' biopics?

I think it's precisely because you're a CS researcher. You deal with philosophical problems on a regular basis. (Hell, when I was studying, we had philosophers invited to present their work on our seminars.) Natural sciences researchers - not so much.

Even then, my impression is that this dissing of philosophy is not coming from people dealing with actual science, but from students of engineering, people who get the results of centuries of research handed to them on a silver plate. Interestingly, these seem to be the same people who believe unconditionally in liberal economic dogmas.

Punch yourself in the face and consider the Cartesian method. Also read Hegel.

Philosophy is dead because science is just better at answering our questions. Only low IQ pseudo-intellectual hipsters take philosophy seriously.

3/10, "low IQ" does not work with "pseudo-intellectual" that well

More correctly, science is better at creating practical realizations of the answers to our questions.
It's still based on a set of philosophical positions, albeit ones which have been validated far and away above idealist ones by these realizations.
robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/cs689/papers/anderson72more_is_different.pdf
Chemistry is not merely "an application" of physics but a discipline unto itself which has its own questions that don't reduce completely to those of formal physics. Similarly, there are ways in which we can understand economy and society besides those which reduce to matters of physical science. The right answer is not categorically rejecting "philosophy" but of making it scientific.

Yes