ICANN Survival Guide

Forgive me but I need some spoonfeeding about this icann situation. Whens this switch going to happen and what are everyones plans for surviving?

Hows a technologically illiterate user like me, supposed to survive? Any guides, info and dumps you have is all helpful.

Other urls found in this thread:

cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2782
opennicproject.org/
ipfstube.erindachtler.me/
github.com/HelloZeroNet/ZeroNet/
127.0.0.1:43110/0chan.bit/
tox.chat/
privacytools.io/
prism-break.org/
wiki.installgentoo.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPoAC
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pigeon
google.com
8ch.net
icann.org/resources/pages/what-2012-02-25-en
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/01/us_government_hedges_bets_on_internet_handover/
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/22/iana_block_pulled_from_funding_bill/
madboa.com/geek/dig/
206.223.147.214/pol/res/7585956.html
amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Government-Politics-Guides/dp/1592578535
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FUCKING BUMP

GOD WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS HERE

Seconded. I've downloaded the everychan thingie but I have grave doubts about how to make it work.

Have one more bump, OP.

While I don't really understand it fully myself, I think this has to do with IANA. Let me just copy paste the answer from another source.

"The IANA role basically is that whoever is the IANA, is the final mediating authority on the correct assignment of an addressing number. If two devices try to communicate as the same address only one of them is correct, and the IANA's routing table is authoritative. Assignments that contradict the IANA's table are in error.

ICANN is already the IANA and that will not change. The handover is simply saying "the US is giving the IANA role to ICANN, its theirs". Because the IANA role is now so world wide that not even the US could raise up a competing IANA and expect to win."

I wish some renegade billionaire would start up a new internet.

POST YFW TED CRUZ IS LITERALLY OUR LAST HOPE

WE'RE DOOMED

cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2782

The most they could really do in the near future is fuck with DNS servers so that typing in something like "8ch.net" in your browser wouldn't work. In which case you can just use some other DNS server instead of the defaults given by your ISP: opennicproject.org/

There's mesh networks, but the non-renegade billionaires do everything in their power to prevent them from emerging.

Hopefully IPFS will be done someday soon, censorship will be impossible with that system compared to HTTP.

first post every time

back to 4cuck with your shitty delegates meme
nobody here during the primaries ever once posted your shitty meme about el rato

git gud >>>Holla Forums

effectively

never gonna happen

You need to connect to the direct 8ch.net or whatever website's IP address.
Which has never been posted here so you better get Holla Forumsfit and learn to hack websites if you want to shitpost frogs.

There's already I2P and no one ever uses it because it's slow as fuck. How is IPFS different?

Not the same thing, IPFS is a HTTP replacement, IPFS can be run on top of I2P.

Thank you for Correcting The Record.

Here's a very simple web frontend for IPFS video sharing: ipfstube.erindachtler.me/
You upload video, and the URL for the video contains the hash for that video. If the frontend website goes down, then you can still run the IPFS daemon on your computer and get the video directly using that hash. As long as someone else running IPFS has that same file, the file can be retrieved.

You can't connect directly to CloudFlare websites like Holla Forums with the IP. Though you're welcome to try it yourself if you like: 104.20.43.57

i2p is slow because nobody uses it. It's faster the more people are using it.

Why would people start using slow IPFS (or I2P, or some other distributed blockchain protocol) so it can become fast when there's HTTP that is fast already? These technologies are born dead, except for a few cryptography nuts and druggies no one is interested in them (with the exception of bitcoin, because you could make real money out of mining and trading it).

Thank you! Been looking for it in every thread.

I'll find a way, I'm on linux anyway so I can pretty much do anything, worst case scenario I'll install some software or use tails or tor or whatever, something must work.

Except IPFS is fast you dumbass, they still need to complete making it, but it's already fast right now.

Also HTTP is absolute shit, it has a single point of failure and is staying afloat with patchwork when it's obvious we need new tech today.

ANyone tried the overchan shit that they have pasted on the header on Holla Forums???

What about phonefags????
Someone please think of the phonefags.

it works okay as an app. but it really doesn't have anything to do with this discussion

Where are we all meeting if the chans get shutdown on 10-1-16

Thanks user. Ill give this a go. Hopefully it won't br anything worst than that.

Didnt even know about this. I'll look into it.

On another site? Where?

looks like they removed the link ..it was a special message on the top of pol obout over chan

Anybody got some mega links?

Thank you for Correcting The Record.

This is one of the problems I see. It requires everyone to install IPFS or else the benefits of decentralization are not realized by normal (99%) of users. The frontends would become points of failure and would also consume ridiculous amounts of bandwidth for something like a video site.

Ty4ctr

t. Maduro

You do know all changes that will occur because of this will be extremely slow right?

If they nuked wrongspeak over night they'd have autist riots.

They'll do it bit by bit and capitalise on "hate speech" incidents so normies swallow it. Some freak will commit or shoot up somewhere and they'll point to it.

Combine it with these new fucking police departments like the one in London dedicated to fucking harassment and we're fucked. We won't even notice.

The west is falling to war by 'peace' and so will the Internet.

I wouldn't expect anything for a couple of years. ICANN is bureaucracy defined. It's having meetings in fancy places and stuffing your face with expensive food washed down by even more expensive booze. Very, Jimbo Wales.

These fuckers jerked each other off for 5 years about certain TLDS.

Watch for some raghead country to bring some shit to the UN with .il behind it. Probably revisiting an criticism of their pedo leader Mohammad. No drawing cocks on his face and such. Once they get that, oh vey, oh vey no speaky bad about the holocaust anywhere or it's global jail for you.

The real cause of the success of all this medicine we have is not the medicine but the doctor and his beliefs.

It's magick that is doing the real work.

Nothing is going to happen, you fearmongering tech illiterate fuckshits. I swear, these threads were a comedy goldmine, but now it's getting old.

Nothing will happen as a result of icann. Stop depressing yourselves.

In b4 "(1)". Yes, it is indeed my first post here. There's always a first post, that's how posting works.

How has nobody killed that nigger yet?

TOR may still work, zeronet will, and I'm setting up a packet radio station for shitposting 80s style (~$200)

1. Go here:
github.com/HelloZeroNet/ZeroNet/
2. Follow the "How to join" instructions
3. For an imageboard go here:
127.0.0.1:43110/0chan.bit/

There are other options out there, but this is probably the easiest.

Tox, Retroshare, etc.

GET ON TOX
tox.chat/

Tox is a peer-to-peer instant messaging and video calling protocol that offers end-to-end encryption. Tox started out as a project on 4chan /g/ and is open source software released under the GPLv3. Tox is:

Encrypted

Distributed

Free

Now to the fun part! Let's make some friends:

Add Groupbot and join the Tox general chat and the Holla Forums groupchat
56A1ADE4B65B86BCD51CC73E2CD4E542179F47959FE3E0E21B4B0ACDADE51855D34D34D37CB5
invite
invite 1 pol

Add LainBot and join Club Cyberia
415732B8A549B2A1F9A278B91C649B9E30F07330E8818246375D19E52F927C57F08A44E082F6
invite

The words listed under the groupbot IDs commands you send to the groupbot as a message. Hope to see you there soon!

Here are some other resources for maintaining a free internet
privacytools.io/
prism-break.org/
wiki.installgentoo.com/

giving a bump

It won't go through. Congress will stop it.

Bumpin

isn't IANA/ICANN incorporated as a US entity?

cool, I just switched and certain sites are available again

thanks

I would like to do this, where do I look?

Better be safe than sorry.

Hillary opened her big fat yap and wrecked the plan.

Implying they can't be bought.

Can't King Nigger pull a presidential veto though, meaning that 66% of congress is needed, not the normal 51%.

i.e.just the current republican majority isn't enough.

Obama and the UN will NEVER take the internet away from us, my friend.

I am currently building a new DNS root infrastructure entirely independant of government and corporate-owned existing infrastructure.

The revolutionary technology behind this is based on an older, proven telecommunications standard that was employed extensively during WWI and WWII, adapted to modern digital use.

I present to Holla Forums the tech that will allow us to create our own global telecommunications network:
IPoAC
Internet Protocol over Avian Carriers.
Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPoAC
Internet Engineering Taskforce technical details:
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

Originally intended as a "joke", and poorly implemented by the Bergen Linux User Group (resulting in 55% packet loss due to user error), this technology is actually perfectly viable, and analog versions of it have been used extensively as military technology:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pigeon
As you can see from the above article, there have been medals issued to those implementing this technology in times of war.

And we, gentoomen, are clearly at war for control of our telecommunications.

Five days user until shit hits the fan.

I swear that anons will regret their disregard one day.

What VPN's do you guys recommend?

Mullvad, Private Internet Access being on top of the list if you do not mind the small pool of proxies compared to something like TigerVPN, etc.

So basically it requires most people who download a webpage to "seed" that as others download it. So can other people see your IP address if you aren't using a VPN?

How is this going to affect the torrenting of chinese cartoons?

Omg anything but the chongnime

You do realize that's how the entire internet works, right? Every server you connect to directly can see your IP. Including this one.

IT fag here (one of many on this board, and in this case a lower level one). Here is a technical 101 for you hapless neets on how the internet works, and how you can get around the ICANN issue. I'll give you three sections. Some definitions and explanations of concepts, the meat of what it all means, and the goods on how to get around the worst case scenario.

First, definitions:

Domain Name: This is what you type in at the top of the URL (Universal Resource Locator) bar.
Examples of Domain Names:
google.com
8ch.net

IP Address: A.K.A. "Dotted quad". This is the machine address that is used by other machines to find a machine. It is also a great way to find a site that has no domain name. It is linked to a domain name on a record stored on one or more DNS Servers. So when you type in a domain name, that information is sent to a name server, and the name server will forward that request to the next machine and so on until it finds the machine associated with the requested IP that is attached to the domain name you entered in. To access a site by IP address, simply type it in the URL bar instead of the Domain Name.
Examples of IP Addresses:
192.168.0.1 < common router/modem address from your computer
8.8.8.8 < gets you to jewgle
104.20.44.57 < The IP that Holla Forums appears to be stored on. Note it does not allow access to Holla Forums because wizards. Someone (probably Jim or someone who knows more than me) would have to divulge the host header that would be used to access Holla Forums here, as I'm not sure what the header is or how to get it
206.223.147.210 < This IP also reaches Holla Forums, but has an auto re-direct (as with the previous IP, I'm not 100% why. Shared servers behave differently than a dedicated one). I am not certain if this would continue to function in the event that Holla Forums suddenly had no domain name or was having DNS issues.

ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). This is the organization that since 1998 has handled the top level assignment of all Domain Names to Registrars, who in turn rent a domain name for anyone to use for whatever reason to attach to any IP they wish (fun fact: before ICANN the process to get a domain name was to contact a guy named Jon Postel, and he would deal with it). These are attached to IP addresses, and the information is stored in a CNAME record on a name server that is used to store and find the physical machine of the resource (website) that you are looking up.

Now the meat:

What you have above is effectively an explanation of ICANN and what it controls, and how it is relevant. ICANN rents out blocks of domain names to Registrars, who hand domain name assignment to the end user for a fee. That is literally all they do. They are currently incorporated in the United States, and due to a special agreement are protected and bound by US law, meaning that nobody in our government can tell ICANN they can't sell a domain name such as ilovehitler.com because of a hate speech law - thank you 1st Amendment!

The agreement (I don't know the words, just the gist of it) is that ICANN is exempt from anti-trust laws, meaning it is allowed to reside in the US as a legal monopoly. For Euros and people who don't know, anti-trust laws pretty much make it illegal in most cases to have a monopoly over a product or service in the US. Nobody else anywhere holds control over domain names (not that I'm aware of anyways).

If this agreement is allowed to expire and not renewed it means that ICANN loses its snowflake status, and for anti-trust protection they can (and most likely will) go anywhere they can. The most likely place is straight to the UN as they are the big kids on the block that isn't the US that would allow some freedom of what they can or cannot do. The UN may ask or require ICANN to block out domain names to keep them from being used, or other things that wouldn't be allowed in the US. And since ICANN wouldn't be in the US anymore US law would do nothing to stop it. ICANN has had some pretty nasty ideas that their agreement has prevented them from implementing, such as scalping people for domain names that are popular.

The most likely result is domain names will start to hurt the pocketbook. There is also a good possibility that the UN may do what I said and start banning names for hate speech reasons, or have a domain name revoked in an attempt to shut a site down. This is accurate, and very likely over the long term. They will establish context and with that they will extinguish wrongthink.

The goods:

People who are more intelligent will have realized by now that while the domain name is gone, they can't touch the IP address. This means that all you need to know to access a site is its IP address!

To find an IP address for now all you have to do is ping a site, and it will return with the IP address and whether or not it is able to send/receive packets. This works 99% of the time. Same goes for nslookup. Either one of these tools will return the IP address of the domain name you are requesting information on, and you can write that down so you can access a site should the domain name go away or have problems.

If they block a DNS address, does pinging still work to reach the web server? What I am really worried about is that they will not attempt outright censorship because of the Streisand effect but instead redirect traffic to bad goy sites into propaganda sites or even worse clones of those bad goy sites with certain data conveniently omitted. Facebook has already been caught shadowbanning people where their posts show up on their feed but no one else's and they are usually none the wiser, and with the gargantuan resources that alphabet agencies have creating a clone of Holla Forums, TRS, etc. with nothing but shills is certainly possible. Can't you falsify IP addresses if you control the DNS lookup process?

As long as the domain name in a CNAME record is associated with the correct IP, a ping will work, and will return an IP address. The only times I've seen it fail is when a domain name has an incorrect IP entered in the CNAME record. If someone got control of the account with the registrar that the name is controlled with, they could re-direct it to any IP they wished.

An IP address shows a physical location, as far as I know it can't be spoofed. You can cause a name to redirect to another IP by modifying the CNAME record, but you can not fake an IP.

Adding to this, if someone modified the IP in the CNAME record to the incorrect IP, it would show the incorrect IP. And with that you can get a physical location.

Thanks for the info user, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that to those of us who are less knowledgeable.

So, this doesn't really change anything, except normies can't access chans, and ICANN jews people over domain names.

I guess you only said that just because you (1) post a lot, don't you Mr. Shill?

america is no longer king of the world

let the UN control it

icann.org/resources/pages/what-2012-02-25-en

What is this? Explain

Holla Forums uses Cloudflare retards, direct ip won't work.

Anyone who doesn't know about IP addresses is fucked.

yee

ANONS HERE IS A SURVIVAL SECRET IF YOU LIVE IN A TOWN

Most people won't know about this so keep it to yourself.

In almost all houses and buildings these days, you can find a hot water heater. A boiler. Usually in the basement or some out-of-the-way closet. When the water stops coming out of the tap, the water heater will still have a shitload of water stored in it! And they usually have a faucet-like installation. These things can store a lot of water. Keep this in mind if water is ever scarce.

Like the type of billionaire that likes to be president.

What are we looking at here?

Opennic DNS

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING YOU LITTLE RAT?

YOU DESERVE TO HANG FROM A ROPE!!!

u r rat

Is this a good thing?

Part of me says yes, the other part says no.

Seems very easy to manipulate and reminds me of echoboxes/safespaces (why do I care at this stage, the fuckers are endorsing safespace mentality at this stage.)

You guys probably missed this one article about that IANA transfer 'by accident'….

Hey, uh ICANN. US govt here. You know we said we'd give you the keys to the 'net? Yeaahhh… I'm thinking we might be changing our minds.
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/01/us_government_hedges_bets_on_internet_handover/

The US government has admitted its plan to move control of the internet's naming and numbering functions to a California non-profit next month may not move forward.

In a letter [PDF] from the Department of Commerce (DoC) to ICANN sent August 31, the department's CFO gives the organization 30 days' notice that it may extend its current contract over the critical IANA functions by a year. In other words, Uncle Sam will continue to oversee ICANN's running of IANA for another 12 months.

This is cool. But I still think it might leave IP's open to compromise.. that being said I will have to learn more about it.

Exactly, that was a month ago and people still freaking out about it even though the transfer won't continue for another year
And now…

Game over: IANA power-grab block pulled from Congress funding bill
Cruz 'profoundly disappointed' as attempt to screw country fails

The attempt to prevent the US government from moving control of the internet's technical functions to a technical body appears to be over.

Following an extraordinary few days where the transition seemed up in the air thanks to the persistent efforts of Senator Ted Cruz, majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) filed a continuing resolution that notably did not include a block.

Democrats have yet to sign on to the bill, but the fact that McConnell's text for negotiation does not include language that would ban any spending on the IANA contract demonstrates that the issue is no longer on the table.

Cruz called the decision not to include his proposal "profoundly disappointing." With a seemingly straight face, he continued: "This is one more example why the American people are so fed up with Washington, because they expect all of us to protect free speech online."

For months, Cruz has claimed the transition is the Obama administration "undermining free speech on the internet." He has also said it will give Russia and China more power over the internet. Those claims have been roundly and repeatedly debunked by experts, government officials, business leaders, technical bodies and journalists – but Cruz has persisted in his misrepresentation and garnered significant press attention as a result.

The turning point, ironically, appears to have been when Donald Trump lent his weight to the campaign on Wednesday, arguing that "the US should not turn control of the Internet over to the United Nations and the international community."

Following several more hours of closed negotiations, the Republican leadership emerged with very similar stories: that they want a no-drama continuing resolution to fund the government past the election.

McConnell then used a number of Congressional procedures to push the issue forward, blocking any amendments to the proposal he introduced. A vote to move it forward is expected on Monday.

For the next few days and through the weekend, Republicans and Democrats will continue to fight over a range of measures including funding for floods in Louisiana, water poisoning in Michigan, and issues surrounding the Export-Import Bank. But the IANA transition block has been dropped, providing at least a small measure of faith in the country's legislative branch.

In essence, the Internet is safe, for now….

theregister.co.uk/2016/09/22/iana_block_pulled_from_funding_bill/

^
forgot the link

If there are people manipulating Holla Forums that are not genuine anons, we have 12 months to:
1. Establish who they are
2. Create contacts and use our real world skills (god help us) to prevent catastrophe
3. Get gud at computers (and therefore get gud at money)
4. Destroy the normie conditioning completely
5. Prevent the transfer of IANA/ICANN or implement work arounds (or somehow get rid of anti hate speech laws)
6. Become full blown wizards and destroy mordor.

(checked)

All we have to do is continually verify the truth and keep strict records for it.

Its the fucking masons retard

Wait, i thought cruz introduced the bill to STOP this?

it does not matter he is kikeslave and mason and not good.

That's not true user.. I mean the truth is important, but part of it is knowing what is pulling strings.

Or we could make them bend the knee.

I don't know, it seems like every secret society is converging here. That would explain the unusual influence and the staggering overpublicity we get.

If this place remains, then eventually all those belligerents will meet halfway here.
I've already seen our effect on Holla Forums and likewise (though obviously, we have far greater influence)

Oh and like the masons, esotericism is key here, though with a different modernised interpretation of it (one that is more critical of memes that clearly fail)

that's just outright bullshit lies he and his staff are trying to push, the real goal of that is to stop the FUNDING of the IANA contract since they couldn't proceed that handover they mentioned, once they stopped the funding of said contract, it will simply auto expire because there's no cash to keep it afloat for another year, but even that funding block attempt by el rato got blown out of the water.

its that simple

Is that why decentralised networks are being pushed?

Sorry for the retarded question but is there actually a way to directly access cloudfare protected sites?

testing

QmUuBf5wSKUKAum9jUBD5cc8YxXNCYefodtDc7wgcUkfBT

the resolution did not include el rato's ((((suggestion)))) so no, the cash will flow to sustain the IANA contract, but it wouldn't hurt for tech savvy anons to make an alternate dns server from scratch, and in secret so no goon and spook can ever find it

I think it should be secret until we find newer solutions. Then let the cat out of the bag and it'll be hate machine 2.0 3.0

wow, for a moment there i thought rato wasnt a fucking good goy.

FUCK OFF KIKE, WE'RE MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

DROPPED
Godfuckingdammit, it had so much potential, too.

So basically, from what I understand, they wont be able to directly block sites, but they can obfuscate it and make it a little bit more hard to reach.

But how about reliability? Could they make clone sites as honeypots for ip's?

What VPN does Holla Forums use I want to get one but some are owned by Google/MS etc.

Pretty much. Once the transfer to wherever they are going is complete there will be a LOT more jewry with domain names and other fuckery.

NO U

I CAN SEE EXACTLY HOW YOURE TRYING TO SUBVERT

YOU WILL HANG ON THE DAY OF THE ROPE MARK MY WORDS YOU LITTLE FAGGOT

YOU TOO

Sounds like you just want some of our last few good vpns so you can spam and shill to get them banned.

Nice try Chaim.

I think they could also do a man in the middle attack and inject some malicious code into the site. Then the UN can put CP on your computer and report you to the FBI. Seems like they could potentially use this to collect information on everyone across the world too. The NSA is somewhat bound by the constitution, but there is nothing stopping the UN from breaking it. I think this might be one of the main goals considering Obongo was talking about needing to give up some freedoms to realize the goals of the UN. If I understand everything though, we should be safe as long as we use the IP address to connect from now on. I think my knowledge on the subject is pretty average among anons though, and it would be good if someone with a better understanding could confirm all this.

I mean that all users of the site can see your ip and not just the host.

you can use zenmate for free I think

also avira has a free VPN service you can use with their free antivirus

Just a reminder that >>>/torpol/ exists in the event that SHTF and we can't shitpost here for whatever reason.
Please don't use this board (/torpol/) unless you absolutely must in the event that this Holla Forums bans Torposting

THE FUCKING NIGGER ACTUALLY DID IT

RIP FREEDOM OF SPEECH, RIP CHANS, RIP FREE THOUGHT

This is legitimately depressing

God damn, learn something. Might be worth learning about linux, will take several years.

On DNS in general for noobs, "google" OpenNIC

For people that don't want to be noobs, learn about commands like dig to be able to test if a domain is being censored by a root name server.

madboa.com/geek/dig/

It's not that complicated but fuck it takes a little bit of general knowledge. Start working toward that knowledge rather than being some fucking moronic sad frog that gets dragged wherever chaim wants to take you. DNS is not even complicated you fucktards

first get zeronet

then get on 0chan

congrats you have a bunker

also the Holla Forums IP is important

206.223.147.214/pol/res/7585956.html

he also said were doomed

My thoughts exactly. All IRC is cancer. IRC has always been cancer, always will be. IRC is the primary point of failure of every imageboard, because fucking hotpockets gather there to circlejerk and eventually forget what it means to be anonymous.

Identity does not belong on the internet.

Holla Forums's IP is connected to cloudfare. It's not 8ch's real IP and it is subject to change. It'll stop working eventually.

0chan on zeronet

it's a shit prototype decentralized chan but it's a decent bunker

thanks fam, I thought it looked different from last ime

zeronet 0chan is the only option I have to suggest right now then

I'll make a guide and put it on /poltech/ this week

Whelp now is a good time to get off the net and get my life back on track. Goodbye everyone

Can Trump take ICANN back when he gets on office?

No.

Its Congress who is in charge of this.
They could have stopped it any time.
Same reason Trump is saying illegals will be in the US serving military, Congress mandated it, and he must enforce the law.

Seriously, learn2civics
amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Government-Politics-Guides/dp/1592578535
Buy a bunch, hand them out at the next gathering.