What is best Desktop Environment?

Which of these DE's is best Holla Forums?

Mate: blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3266
Cinnamon: blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3265
KDE: blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3282
Xfce: blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3281
Gnome: wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/

I've been testing out KDE lots for the last 2 days and there's a lot of problems with it. Problems found so far are:

1. When you click (once) on an image file it acts as if it was a double-click and displays an error message and then opens up the file.2. 0% = off, 1%-100% = full-blast-loud, no gradient in the audio for some gay ass reason3. Folder view desktop incompatible with Huyion and that one other background mode. Only works with images in the background.4. Default program for screencapping on KDE is shit an inefficient. I replaced it with gnome-screencap and custom commands so I could shift screencap super fast and have the caps output to a file right away.

KDE uses a lot of resources. I like Kate, I like that Krita works without having to add anything, I like that they include inxi by default... but it sure takes a lot of resources yet does everything poorly. Even though I use many KDE programs on Cinnamon or other DEs, I find Dolphin sucks dick and many other KDE programs are all terrible, so I'm going to switch.

Btw, it works just fine on a 4TB external hard-drive. My computer remains a Windows 10 computer but I plug in the external hard-drive and I've got linux. I can even play Dota 2 on second lowest settings and do a lot of other stuff, before the USB 3.0 bottlenecking becomes an issue. Next time police come to my house I can just unplug and smash if necessary.

Note that in my case I am always using the high-end of computers so I don't want to hear suggestions that are great for old computers with little resources. Main reason I keep switching DEs and upgrading shit and so on is because the older stuff doesn't work out nice, if everything would just work, I wouldn't have to keep looking into these things and bothering with all this stuff.

System: Host: fringe-XPS-7760-AIO Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 (Qt 5.6.1) dm: sddm,sddm Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 SonyaMachine: System: Dell product: XPS 7760 AIO Chassis: type: 13 Mobo: Dell model: 0P3KGF v: A01 Bios: Dell v: 1.0.2 date: 12/08/2016CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-6700 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27264 clock speeds: min/max: 800/4000 MHz 1: 2553 MHz 2: 2548 MHz 3: 2590 MHz 4: 2565 MHz 5: 2588 MHz 6: 2581 MHz 7: 2562 MHz 8: 2577 MHzGraphics: Card-1: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1912 Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XT [Radeon R9 M280X] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6646 Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]/* */ GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: YesAudio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a170 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-genericNetwork: Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:15b7 IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: 14:b3:1f:0e:11:df Card-2: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:3165 IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 70:1c:e7:e5:52:aeDrives: HDD Total Size: 4000.8GB (0.6% used) ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: My_Passport_25E2 size: 4000.8GB serial: 575841314536363234394B5A-0:0Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.6T used: 8.8G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3RAID: System: supported: N/A No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present Unused Devices: noneSensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 51.0 Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/AInfo: Processes: 262 Uptime: 3:11 Memory: 4823.3/15899.3MB Init: systemd v: 229 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 5.4.0 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481 running in konsole) inxi: 2.2.35

Shitposting in action: youtube.com/watch?v=oY0P_eNECt8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4WVKVLvpHXg
solus-project.com/download/
youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1PAXiyTB0
linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
xubuntu.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Budgie_Desktop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I actually have been using Budgie lately, on Solus. It is their new DE they made for Solus, I have used, LXDE, XCDE, Gnome, KDE, and whatever bodhi uses, I think it is elelmentary. I think I liked LXDE the best, but Budgie is probably second, though, I am not sure, as it is so young. I really like solus in general, though, so that might color my perception of the DE. Budgie is mostly gnome right now, though, to be fair. Solus budgie is worth looking into, in my opinion. Mentioning it mainly because wasn't on your list.

Tell me about Gnome. Is it a lot like Cinnamon?

I usually stay away from smaller linux distros as they tend to be even more broken than Ubuntu and Mint.

Watching this though: youtube.com/watch?v=4WVKVLvpHXg

hmmm...

youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1PAXiyTB0

I think I'm going to skip on testing Xfce and just go straight to Gnome.

I like bloat. I have the resources for it and I just purge the things I don't ever use anyways.

Is this bait?

I don't have a hardware or software issue. I'm just trying to find a better default DE to work with then KDE.

why are all the threads that start with a pepe pic shit?

not to mention unironically personify OP

Define better default DE than KDE

I exclusively use xfce but it has some minor annoying issues. Everything else I find bloated

They all fucking shit, kys OP.

=LOL DE HURT

Pill me on those minor issues. It's the small but constant little things that make me buttmad in the end anyways.

you can change this.
for fucks sake OP, the point of a DE is that you can figure everything about it out by just dicking around the menues without learning anything.
also, resource cheap shit is means your vidya and other bloated shit runs faster.
I hear gnome ""Just werkz"" the most but youd have to install some addons to make it not shit.

I don't even play games lel.

As long as it can be tweaked to perfection in a single day that's fine.

How do I change the single click thing in KDE btw?

So i can't really say anything a lot of other folks haven't really said concerning shit for your system (no systemd) but I'm going to recommend just using a tiling manager (i3 or bspwm) and if you want it to look comfy toy with the config and setup compton on there, since you seem to enjoy stuff like that.

If you're looking to ricefag just go and look at leddit since that is what they think linux is for.

By the way MLP is degenerate.

Ikea Galant.

Never used Cinnamon, but gnome is alright. It seems like it is the most "together" DE if you know what I mean, but it kind of turned me off with being a little too hand holding and not seeming to want me to do certain things for no obvious reason. This was gnome 2, fyi, Gnome 3 seems more pleasing to the eye, but I have used it for like 5 minutes(when I tried to install subgraph OS, it didn't go well, but it is still in early development, so hopefully it will support my computer at some point). Then Unity happened(I was on ubuntu at the time), and I would rather give up all technology and work as a wheat farmer than use unity. So anything beyond whenever that happened is out of my experience.

Original Solus shill here, installed it on a whim on an old hdd I had, because I thought it was cool that it was not based on another distro and was from scratch, optimized for desktop usage all the way through, but it has since become my favorite OS. It may be small now, but it is gaining huge traction, the main guy actually just quit his job to work on Solus full time, and they just added, I think 2 new core team members. I have a feeling it is going to become big. It has enough performance, style/looks, ease of use and development support and game support where both neckbeard and normies will like it. Obviously it isn't commandline only gentoo or whatever, but it's very usable, probably the most usable of any distro I have tried so far, as I said before, definitely worth a shot.

pill yourself bitch

Tell me, how does screencapping work on Solus? Is it simple like in Gnome or is it all retarded with a bunch of dialogs that take you minutes to go through?

linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

I'm just going to go back to Cinnamon, it looks like they fixed everything that had issues anyways.

Xfce has more features and customizability than MATE, Cinnamon, or GNOME while having a similar footprint. KDE fulfills a different niche.

My top picks for functional desktop environments with their own niches are Xfce, KDE, LXDE, and maybe Enlightenment (though you can achieve largely its same functionality with Openbox pipe menus in LXDE).

Holla Forums constantly surprises me, every time I come here it has gotten worse

Noob here: what DE (if any) allows me have my browser tabs in the titlebar? I run Mint with Cinnamon, and that waste-of-space titlebar annoys the shit out of me.

DEs are dogshit. Use i3 and rice your GTK theme.

uzbl uses a separate window for each tab, if you execute it manually. It's not really a fool-proof thing though.

>>>/g/

l-look what you've done OP. you've made us lose one of our rare majestic 1337 unicorn posters by putting your shit on the front page

ill save you the time nigger: dont use any DE because they're all shit. just get one of the 100 standalone window managers. personally I use a tiling WM

Cinnamon is the best because it got me using linux with linux mint. Only took a few weeks from there to learn the OS and replace that shit

I hope 90% of what you do is in the terminal because they're virtually pointless for casual users

For a trully casual user, all he needs are: web browser, office suite, multimedia player, filemanager, and a small set of tools like to control the display, printer, and audio mixer.
Well you don't need a huge DE for that. He can manage just fine with an "easy" WM like IceMW and various "user-friendly" programs that are pre-installed with shortcuts and file associations. That's basically the entire philosophy behind Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux, and it works.

This is what I do:

I like to have a clock on the desktop and icons n' shit and I fuck around with ricing everything and in the past have even made my own themes completely from scratch with custom code and assets (images).

Here's how my Linux Mint Cinnamon on another computer I have looks.

>youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1PAXiyTB0
[01:10] WTF? Bookmarks?
Honestly, the whole video reminds me of Windows 95 and Symbian s60 ads.

>youtube.com/watch?v=4WVKVLvpHXg
So brought back Gnome features from 2008? Nice!

>youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1PAXiyTB0
[01:10] WTF? Bookmarks?
Honestly, the whole video reminds me of Windows 95 and Symbian s60 ads.

>youtube.com/watch?v=4WVKVLvpHXg
So brought back Gnome features from 2008? Nice!

From what I tried, xfce is objectively the best.

Also tried Cinnamon and Gnome. The former had issues with vertical item distribution on desktop (lack of proper grid) and could not have vertical toolbars (aside form being memory-intensive), while the latter was alright but simply ugly.

The only issue with xfce is that it lacks desktop "widgets" both in quantity and quality/aesthetics.

what the actual fuck are you retarded? im trying to decode what level of retarded you are on. a tiling WM is just like any other WM except it lays stuff out tiled instead of in random positions. there is literally nothing you can't do with a tiling WM that you can do with say Metacity or whatever bullshit Gnome uses these days.a

No, I'm just not a drooling asperger who makes 12 of the same threads that are already up on the catalog asking other drooling aspergers what software they should use because apparently they're incapable of deciding things for themselves (must be used to mommy deciding what kind of tendies they get) and contribute absolutely NOTHING to the board beyond what could be found in the fucking sticky, clicking on the installgentoo wiki link, and searching "Desktop Environments".

You're not discussing technology, you're asking for software recommendations. Blow your brains out of the back of your skull. Thanks.

Testing out cinnamon here. Despite what they said about the "spices" aka desklets being fixed, they are all garbage and not working. A lot of stuff is being retarded. I've barely been using this for more than a few minutes and the weather desklet thing is unselectable now (for awhile it kept following my mouse everywhere and no matter that I'd click like mad it wouldn't stop). So the only things they've said they improved and fixed for this version are still not working. So I'm just going to hop onto Xfce or Gnome next. Probably Xfce.

Are you sure? Does it at least have clock, weather, and calendar?

Daily reminder that MATE is the only DE that still supports Compiz.

I changed the clock myself to make it show seconds.

There's literally no point to using it unless you actually benefit form the tiling and the quicker shortcuts. Unless of course you're a retarded ricer using i3 or some other shit and stacking windows with it like a fucking moron

It's just one line of code you fucking retards why can't you just listen to me and add it?

sh -c 'sleep 0.1; gnome-screenshot -a'

Downloading Gnome right now. Gonna try it next.

Scratch that, realized I couldn't download it while in that boot mode thing, gonna do Xfce now.

GNOME CONFIRMED INCREDIBLY BASED

I'm just trying it out right now, don't even have it installed, and everything is beautiful by default, and everything is working incredibly well, and it automatically added my printer - something no other DE of mine has ever done. It's amazing. Fuck Linux Mint and it various DEs, I'm going to stick it out with Ubuntu Gnome now. Only problem I have is no proper audio driver but that's a problem I have with any version of linux because the audio driver for a lot of dell computers hasn't yet been added into the kernal.

You don't need to change your whole DE for something like that. If you are running firefox-based browser, there is an addon called Hide caption titlebar which does the job.

Depends on your needs. XFCE is the most sane of them. It's low on resources and it's the most customizable one.

Been using Gnome now for like 10 hours or so.

It's amazing in so many ways but I can't find any damned widgets.

Don't know if I should stay on here and install Xfce DE, or go to xubuntu.org/ or go to the linux mint Xfce.

Which of these DE's is best?

Thinking of either trying Budgie, Ubuntu Studio, or Xubuntu next. Studio uses Xfce btw.

Studio it is.

There's an add-on site for GNOME extensions, a lot like what Firefox has.

DOS
Should have never left the command line

I cannot fucking stand tiling window managers. Windows are meant to be stacked and floated. Even with two extra monitors at work I still make liberal use of overlapping windows to maximize the amount of useful information I have on the screen at any time. There are situations where I don't need x-application to be 100% visible. Sometimes you only need to see one small part of x-application it while you're doing something else in y-application that requires a fuckton more screen space. In those situations you can just re-arrange and have the useful corner of x-application visible.

do you use Gnome 3 or something? that would explain it. the amount of space used for the fat fucking icons and shit in Gthumb mean you actually need a full 1920x1080 space to even display the page properly. like I could explain that I could put an image editor to the side of my browser because i want to edit an image from the web and reupload it, but i think you're just literally retarded

OP confirmed an incredible faggot

are you some kind of nigger? it's not either or. you can turn off tiling. even in Windows now you can get it to tile for you by dragging the window to the far left/far right

Cinnamon's the best

Yes it does. I think the weather plugin might be out of date (as to polling the proper databases) right now though.

Blue Pill me on Ubuntu.

This place truly went to full shit

Like pottery.

Mods, why the homocaust?

Oh wait it's just ALACRITY again

Hey guys, currently using Ubuntu Studio here, it's kind of cool but kind of shit. A lot of stuff is already included so I don't have to download it, but it's also missing many things it really ought to have, and the UI is highly customizable in terms of colour and transparency but not much else. The main thing that is grating me is, for some reason I'm getting all this screen-tearing, and firefox both starts up using more memory and then proceeds to leak memory far faster than it does on the other OS. Also dark UI themes don't apply properly to everything.

I am rather disappointed. Maybe I should try Budgie next?

The most retarded thing about Ubuntu studio is resizing windows. You to literally click on the one pixel at bottom right corner to resize it both ways at once. It is really fucking hard to do this. There's like almost no borders on the windows in this UI.

Because they are probably all made by the same pleb.

ecksface

I'm using LXDE for over a year now, It's very fast.

Try alt+right-click. Works pretty well, but I don't resize my windows often.

more like ecksfeces

I like dwm. 2000 lines of code max, customize by editing the relatively simple source code, very fast once you get used to it (which takes 2 minutes.) "Clicking around" to switch/size/kill windows starts to seem silly if you get onto it. Working fullscreen, by default, is very nice for some things (especially on low res monitors.)

i3 is much the same, a little more deluxe perhaps, less spartan.

From a sorta-casual point of view, I feel that Cinnamon is the only DE that is modern and has good usability. Lighter ones like Mate or Xfce have a 90s-ish feel, which is tolerable. But Gnome 3, what the hell is that. The application list takes the whole screen to do (poorly) what could be reasonably done with a much smaller menu.

Maybe you should install gentoo.

That Gnome shit is because they're mindlessly copying Apple without realizing why Apple added the option to see installed programs that way: for new mac owners who are used to iOS app grid.

Gnome, presumably, isn't for computer illiterates who've only used a mobile device - so the idea to put that in there is retarded. Sadly most OSS "designers" are trend following faggots who don't understand the idea that different solutions work in different contexts.

You're wrong. Gnome put in that application selection method because of Fitts's law. It wasn't mindless copying of Apple.

I used linux mint MATE and i hated it,so i switched to cinnamon

Do you even understand what Fitts's Law is?

i3 is top comfy.

Fitts's law predicts the amount of time it takes to target a target on a screen. The Gnome team changed the interaction of launching an application with a mouse from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 with their application selection screen. This change did not happen because Apple was doing it first. Fitts's law accurately predicts why this method is an objectively faster method of pointing to an application with a mouse. Fitts's law is the reason why the fundamental interaction of Gnome shell is what it is today.

BSD, dwm, dmenu, st, tmux and zsh
satisfaction guaranteed

desktop environments are for queers

is correct

you should be using window managers tbh

Linux has shit apps that do not integrate with the desktop UI. Windows does UI better than Loonix. That should tell you something.

dwm has the same problem as other "big" suckless projects: patch gestion is pretty tiresome. I wish they would at least centralize this a bit better.
That's why I use st, but would never use dwb or dwm.

App means application. All programs are apps.

Dwb isn't a suckless project.

Its wrong because its factually false, qt can be made to use gtk+ themes and vice versa and every DE I've used has had done this by default. Suck a dick.

if you're talking about shit like the panel, gnu DEs have that too. Every program that would have put something in the panel on windows also did on linux, when I used kde or xfce.
if thats not it, gonna explain, or is this just something where you say something intentionally vague by using buzzwords instead of being specific to make free software look bad, then insinuate anyone who says you're wrong is somehow defensive and frustrated because they didnt address your 'actual point' that never existed

this fucking thread.

where the fuck do the paid trolls end and the butthurt neckboards begin?

i use mate but only to connect to wifi because i cant figure out how to connect to wifi on i3wm

it doesnt have apps, it follows the unix philosophy of doing one thing well, an app has to do a million things sandboxed in full screen like a video game. where lignux excels is an enormous wealth of community made scripts for modifying workflow things. you can find thousands of i3wm scripts yet you'd struggle to find more than a thousand skyrim mods.

if youre willing to do some research a lignux setup is the ultimate rice.

gahnome 3 is so fucking clunky. im glad ubuntu dropped it even though back then it was either kde or gahnome.

Let me fix this for you then

ip addr
gets you your network interfaces

iwlist scan
scans for networks manually

wpa_passphrase yourpasswordhere > /path/to/config/network.conf

wpa_supplicant -B -i networkinterface -c /path/to/config/network.conf
-B makes it a background process -i says this is the network interface -c tells it where the configuration file is

dhcpcd
this gives you an ip, if in the states it's usually an ipv4

If connecting to public wifi (hotel university) you have a bit more configuring to do for it especially if its microcock based but it generally amounts to something like this

network={
ssid="network"
key_mgmt="what ever the iwlist scan said"
pairwise=varies cross reference iwlist scan
group=varies cross reference iwlist scan
eap=PEAP for microcuck
identity="your name"
password="wpa_passphrase wrote this"
#psk="wpa_passphrase will rewrite this in gibberish"
psk=42342342349sdfjscd34902somethingpuke
phase2="authMSCHAPV2"
}

bash: iwlist: command not found

after using ip addr what do i copy from the results to use next to iwlist?

MATE cause you get a pacman screensaver

Boy, I have bad news for you...

On my main system I prefer to use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with shipped KDE Plasma. On my ThinkPad I do use gnome. KDE in my opinion is the most functional Desktop Enviroment, gnome just have it's on charme which addicts me to it.

well I'd say make sure iwlist is installed, but do a check for net tools you have so here's some basic ones.
sudo apt-get(assuming ubuntu system) install iw
sudo apt-get install wpa_supplicant
sudo apt-get install net_tools(probably not needed but this is generally used for older configurations)

you use ip addr to get your wireless interface card, should look something like
wlp1s0
wlan0

You only care about the thing that starts with a w.
ip addr gives you your wireless interface you'll use in the wpa_supplicant command.

iwlist gives you a bunch of network specifications so that you can properly configure your configuration that will be used in connecting to the network.

jwm + conky + textBASED utils in AntiX

pretty nice for someone who doesnt like systemd but requires a lot of usable software that isnt bloated garbage
this is correct

get out normie. xscreensaver-extras is widely available regardless of DE

Linux only excels at the command line and text programs. Anything that ventures into the graphical realm fails and fails hard. Everyone writes applications for their own stupid windowing system and this leads to inconsistent behavior and broken functionality. I will stick with Windows 10 or Mac OS whatever rather than deal with the non-sense on Linux. Now, Linux as a web server is nice to use because the engineers who develop it do not have to focus on graphical stuff.

Bullshit. Dont speak like you're talking about facts when you're just throwing out unsubstantiated "it sucks".
Complete bullshit. most WMs respect a standard for what a WM should recognize and work with, especially the ones used in desktop enviornments. The only ones that break shit are intended specifically for users who can handle that and are small in number.

The best DE is no DE. i3WM gapps is all you need.

What does gaps have to do with anything?

brilliant

Where the fuck do I even download budgie OS? I've been using Ubuntu Studio for like 3 weeks now and I'm tired of it, it is shit, and needs replacement.

Only thing I get from a search is something called solus, but if you go with something like Arch and on Gentoo if you fuck with it enough you should be able to get the de.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Budgie_Desktop

Pics related.

Here you go, I would say get a better distro and put it on there(solus seems full of bloat) but I imagine that probably doesn't matter much to you in this regard.

Dude, that's exactly where I tried to download it from. Have you tried actually clicking their download links on that page? I tried both the torrent and the other download link. Neither worked, as shown in my screencap.

My computer is all cutting-edge shit. I don't care about bloat. I'm not trying to run linux on a 5 year old Thinkpad or Chromebook. I'm trying to run it on a computer that runs games in 4k resolution with max settings and has a shitload of ram and a 512 GB SSD PCIE drive etc.

tell me about your bookmarks user, I recognize 4chan wizchan kc 420chan endchan and meguca

Then it seems they've fucked up the mirrors for their project that should be a big fucking hint about the people making it. So if it doesn't matter use chromium os or get the de on another distro.

GNOME is best.

After I tested several DEs I find Gnome the best one too
If you have all your software on GTK3 you get a nice consistency on the desktop
Also, being the default on Debian, Fedora and now Ubuntu, Gnome is pretty much the face of Linux

I tried out Gnome and didn't like it for a lot of reasons. I customized it lots but couldn't get things to how I really wanted them as I found various of the extensions inadequate. I think KDE so far has been, oddly enough, the best. I think I'd rather go back to Cinnamon though and just try to find a way to fix the screen-tearing and other issues on Cinnamon.

This is like saying "hoarding my garbage isnt a problem for me, I have a very large garage and a couple of storage units, its not like im living in a cramped little apartment or anything"

I prefer to spend an hour purging bloat than 3 hours adding the stuff I need.

Fine, fair enough if thats how you prefer to do it, its not a problem after you've figured out what it is you need the first time though.