Junior dev fucks up badly

np.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6ez8ag/accidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/

Thought it was an interesting read and tech would be interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vT6wQFhLpro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And yes, he posted it on reddit. You don't have to like the site to read this.

This was clearly his fault, for fucking up so bad, and their fault for hiring such a fucking idiot.

No sympathy for him.

Situations like this happen more often than you think.
Within first couple of weeks they usually ask 'how i undo `drop table`?' or 'where is the trash folder on this server?'. They shit all over repositories also.

They should thank him unironically for revealing such security flaw. There should be no way for a one person to delete all the data.
If their DBAs are not retarded they should recover this database within a minute or so. So if it's a big deal to them it's better not to work with such people at all.

A lot of people seem to blame the CTO, most of them actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=vT6wQFhLpro

Anyone who's not a retarded pajeet would blame the CTO, you wouldn't have production creds laying around on a piece of paper, and you certainly wouldn't give them to a junior dev their first week. No doubt that if they handle financial information it's only a matter of time until all their clients information/credit card info gets leaked, because based on what happened there they probably have no security whatsoever.

Fucking kill yourself

Downboat

sage goes in all feilds

reddit

Remember to put downvote on the mail field.

niggers are animals

Wow, what the hell? I assumed that hey, maybe you faggots won't sperg out over the fact that the guy who screwed up posted his story on reddit. It's like you live in a total separate autistic world to spazz out like this. The fuck is wrong with you? If you don't like reddit (like I do) then you cannot read a single article from there that does not require you to view user replier and downvote anyone?

I can only discuss things that did not happen on reddit? My mind is just blown by this autism. Yelling "REDDIT" like this just proves you're trying too hard to fit in. I wonder why I keep visiting this site.

This is bait? Alright. Maybe I've outgrown imageboards.

also their fault for giving production credentials to a literal new hire

A junior hire should be able to trash about on their dev machine without affecting prod whatsoever. Even if he has the creds, he shouldn't be able to even ping prod's backend. Definitely the CTO's fault.

Somebody posted this reddit link in my company slack channel last week. It is 100% the fault of whoever OK'd the setup instructions. If you let production credentials into the wild, you deserve whatever happens to you. The CTO was covering his ass when the fired this new guy.

we used virtual work environments with backups, so he only lost an hour of work. but the guy would literally copy and paste commands from random chatrooms if he didn't want to ask me.

I thought it was a myth

It's relatively new, hopefully temporary

I'm inclined to go with this too. Very specific people in my office know the credentials to the prod databases and they don't just hand them out willy nilly to every new hire and intern. We have a dev database for a reason. We have a qa database for a reason. We have a stage database for a reason. It's not like it's super secret protected information or anything, they just don't go around broadcasting it because most people in the office do not need to know the prod database credentials. If they do, and they have a reason, all they have to do is ask the guy and they'll get set up.

All of this being said

What kind of fucking retard.

bump

Why?

sage

bye

So? Just restore from backup. Right?

Their backup restoration procedures failed them as well. This was a massive clusterfuck in the IT system and the responsibility for this is squarely on the CTO who presided over that system.

And the companies DBAs were proven incompetent as well by being incapable of rolling back a transaction, and the Sys Admins were proven incompetent as well by not having backups.

are ledditors so deluded they think this shit will actually deter any non-brain-damaged individual?

Reddit is shit, but I'm for one ok with linking to stories from there, as long as it's an archive.

I don't know what the fuck is going on or know why managing a database is something someone in software has to take care of.

still a better game than Overwatch