Massive Signal shilling

Why is there so much shilling for the Signal app considering that:
* it is centrailzed
* Moxie Marlinspike, the head of Signal, explained in a buzzword ridden article that he is opposed to decentralization[1]
* Moxie went into full damage control[2] after someone called him out on his bullshit[3]
* it requires your phone number
* it depends Google Cloud Messaging
* it can read and modify your contact list, calendar, GPS location, your text messages and can take pictures and capture video, among other things[4]
* RedPhone, the server component to Signal is not free software[3] thus making it trapped[5]
* Moxie won't implement p2p capabilities in Signal[6]

So my question is? Why are there still people shilling for Signal when there is LibreSignal[7] for Andoid phones, and Jitsi[8] and RetroShare for the desktop[9]?

pic related, it's the main developer of Signal

[1] whispersystems.org/blog/the-ecosystem-is-moving/
[2] news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12883410
[3] sandervenema.ch/2016/11/why-i-wont-recommend-signal-anymore/
[4] support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/212535858-What-are-all-these-permissions
[5] gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
[6] github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Android/issues/5334#issuecomment-196064299
[7] fdroid.eutopia.cz/
[8] jitsi.org/
[9] retroshare.net/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/2357)
tomtop.com/wireless-camera-receiver-1041/p-s564.html?currency=USD&Warehouse=CN&aid=gpla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMY2L7guocgCLtwIddG-Z_lHwbuzHGu9jWVSLWhihtMsaAnbh8P8HAQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key
learn.adafruit.com/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-cellphone/overview
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Technology_Fund
silence.im/
archive.is/ryvbY
archive.is/DXMRg
forbes.com/sites/beltway/2015/09/16/obama-nudge-government/#530fd7ad2c99
dcclothesline.com/2015/09/18/shock-executive-order-obama-authorizes-behavioral-experiments-on-u-s-citizens-to-advance-government-initiatives/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Holy shit. Is he an antifa?

I thought libresignal was abandoned?

Also, what even is the point of this, cell phones are embedded spyware, regardless of the apps on them.

This ^
No point using a phone for actual communication unless its absolutely boring stuff. But even then I'm sure it logged.

Alright apart from the last, I've seriously thought of doing this, and I'm not talking about buying prefab 'made with cancer' chips and calling myself a 'maker faggot'. The biggest hurdle would be getting my electrical skills up to speed, but it seems like a fun project.

Right. And you shouldn't lock your car door, because someone can easily break in anyway. And you shouldnt close your windows, because someone can just break the glass. And you should leave your front door wide open, because someone could just pick the lock anyway.
~ Agent Fud

literally what.

i thought they implemented p2p calling?
also the best alternative is wire, next to tox

Holy moly, XMPP is still the best choice.
Don't shill data-selling Wire.

They're working on websockets. I don't think p2p really matters in the context of signal's server. Sure, you can't federate, but meh.
Honestly Moxie had some really good points, he basically forced F-Droid to get their ass in gear on reproducibility and alternative repos. Sure, Moxie's just a lazy cunt at this point by falling back to the "we need muh google play debug stats" now that he can create his own F-Droid repo, but still.

Signal is good, but it certainly could be better.

Make a thread. I'm interested. I want to get away from these cancerous cell phones.

XMPP is an utter abomination where XML document fragments interact directly with the TLS stack and the protocol resembles the cross product of Tasman and Trident parser bugs in 2005. Use Matrix.

Let me know when there's a good Matrix client on Android that's doesn't slaughter my phone's battery. Riot is a total power hog.

Until then, I'll stick with Conversations, regardless of XMPP's flaws, because Conversations' developers are frickin' god-tier when it comes to building an always-on messaging client that's easy on battery life.

Since it's /IM/ general - Mobile Edition, I agree. You shouldn't message anybody or do anything on mobile, but if you have to, you should stick with Conversations or/and K-9 Mail+pgp.

Thanks for that. It's pretty nice to know there are some who can tell something that has value.

Unfortunately I've had to stop using K-9 due to an "auto-sync disables itself" bug. (github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/2357)

Right now I'm back on the stock LineageOS mail client until that longstanding bug is fixed. No built-in PGP support, but at least I get notified of new mail.

Why don't you fix problem yourself? Btw it works for me, using cyanogemod 13.
I tried LineageOS, but no theme engine, Lineage is downgrade, only thing it does good is that it has security patches. I use mobile mostly just for music. AudioFX is also pure downgrade when compared with CM' one, too much follows unuseful modern minimalistic meme. Camera settings are buggy. Unusable stock file manager. CM one is awesome, although no dark theme like Amaze. Also manages notifications better and quick settings are great when compared to Lineage. Just removed gello and other proprietary shits besides cLock and hello, you have the best ROM avaliable!

brb unlocking front door

* it is centrailzed
Yep, this is an issue. Uses p2p for calls though.
* Moxie Marlinspike, the head of Signal, explained in a buzzword ridden article that he is opposed to decentralization[1]
Yep this makes it shit
* Moxie went into full damage control[2] after someone called him out on his bullshit[3]
Yep Moxie is an ass
* it requires your phone number
Yep this sucks
* it depends Google Cloud Messaging
No it doesn't, not anymore
* it can read and modify your contact list, calendar, GPS location, your text messages and can take pictures and capture video, among other things[4]
So what?
* RedPhone, the server component to Signal is not free software[3] thus making it trapped[5]
While this sucks, it doesn't matter since it is not p2p and this is a server component.
* Moxie won't implement p2p capabilities in Signal[6]
They did add webrtc calls

Is Signal ideal? No. is it secure? Yes, for most threat models. Its a decent alternative to SMS or unencrypted channels for communicating with normies.

what provider do you use for xmpp?

In other words, you value appearance over security.

I have no interest in taking any advice from someone like you.

Prosody on a VPS for one account (my real-name day-job account that matches my job-related email address), cock.li for more private stuff.

There's some books on signals I still need to read, so perhaps in a year or so, when I have a better understand of what is involved I'll create an "open cell phone" project. It surely already exists though?

As I already said, using phone for sensitive stuff of any kind is big bullshit.
Also, I have xposed, you don't. Enjoy privacy dumbass, but muh muh security which doesn't matter at all, if you're doing regular stuff+no javascript+only f-droid. I don't see an argument why should I sell myself into Lineage bullshit. They should go marshmallow+nougat, not release only nougat now. Otherwise I would be on, xposed is pretty much essential.

Also nice reddit spacing faggot.

Because people are too dumb and lazy to switch to tox.

Also, why write
* text [6]

instead of
6. text

?

In the town I used to live in people would leave their car door's unlocked so that no one would break the windows.

Those people were retarded.

The fuck is "reddit spacing"?

So you can do more than one citation per bullet point.

Don't

you

know

what

I

mean?

On reddit, you have to put newline between text you quote and what you write (even though that newline is thrown away). That's not the case in Holla Forums. "reddit spacing" here, has come to mean

anyone that puts a lot of newlines in

there posts.

*their

car thief here.
breaking windows to steal a car is ass retarded for 2 reasons: 1, it's noisy and alerts bystanders that you are in fact, stealing a car. and 2, if a police officer sees a smashed window he will pull you over.

it is easier to do a technique known as car hopping where you go from car to car in a dark backlane or parking lot and check to see if doors are unlocked.

in my (massive) experience anything with a "theme engine" runs like shit and is non user friendly. makes you wait for it to render the latest trendy fonts. does some sliding animations, while crashing every time you try and open two windows or press two buttons too quickly

line 1

line 2

do you format your text like this without having being trained to do this from reddit? honest question.

or pick lock or just bypass "smart" key systems

How do the "smart" key systems work exactly? I'm not familiar with it at all, but my guess is something like an RFID chip, which can be faked with something like: tomtop.com/wireless-camera-receiver-1041/p-s564.html?currency=USD&Warehouse=CN&aid=gpla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMY2L7guocgCLtwIddG-Z_lHwbuzHGu9jWVSLWhihtMsaAnbh8P8HAQ

The irritating thing is the text reply box is so much narrower than the browser window that sometimes it's hard to judge when you should insert a paragraph break. There's nothing more annoying than accidentally formatting a reply as a bunch of spaced out single lines.

I don't trust any random forum/imageboard/etc software to properly separate lines automatically. It's like every site has its own weird rules on when to automatically separate. I've seen sites where it's two hard returns, some where it's just one, some where it's two spaces, some where it's actually three spaces, and all kinds of other bizarreness based on the insane whims of the coder who threw together the backend of the site in question. I don't want to memorize what rules apply where, so I just do two hard returns everywhere. It seems to do the trick.

As for why I want to separate lines, it's either for emphasis, or when discussing two separate ideas. This "reddit style" accusation really confuses me. Never had a reddit account, never will.

smh fam

Not anymore

so your intent is to have a blank line between your lines?

I'm and I believe I was wrong about Smart keys.
Going off of the wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key
It seems like it doesn't work by RFID, although similar in some ways.
"The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered, either by pulling the handle or touching the handle, an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID, the PASE module unlocks the vehicle."
Seems like more complicated equipment would be needed.

Well, yes. That's how paragraphs have been separated in written english for centuries.

I use theme for engine for dark background on places where it isn't possible with lineage without substratum. I.e. quick notifications.

Sometimes, like now, only when it does make sense. Althought it's still weird, I'm used to using write without that much blank space.

It's been said many times in many places, but THIS DEPENDS ON ONE'S THREAT MODEL. My threat model is advertisers, not nation-states. LineageOS, without GApps, and with root so that I can use Adaway, is a fucking PERFECT fit for my particular threat model.

So nobody mentioned Chatsecure?

didnt they get raided by feds or some shit

The reddit spacing criticism is so inane.

I have used spaced paragraphs for literally 15 years and didn't need reddit to show me how.

It's so fucking annoying when the hive-mind comes up with a new 'burn' on reddit. Ie: it's just a shitty circlejerk website and being so overtly anti says more about the critic than anything else.

Only for iOS. I mean usable and still updated version. But maybe xmpp clients don't have to stay up-to-date.

Amen to that. Reddit deserves much criticism for many things. The censorship and blatant politically-motivated partisan behaviour of the admins and mods, the users upvote-game hivemind crap, the corporate and political lobby groups using it to sway public opinion, the abandoning of free speech ideals, etc etc etc. That's all fair game for criticism. I got no problem with that.

But to bitch about someone on 8ch who happens to use the same text formatting style as is prevalent on reddit, despite it being a common text formatting style in written english in general? That's just a sad, desperate attempt at an ad hominem attack.

What he should have done instead, in your opinion?

ok, im not the guy who complained about redditspacing, i just never put a blank line between my lines by default. i used to get mad at Microsoft Word putting a blank line between my paragraphs but i guess it's better that way

I've been putting blank lines between paragraphs for over 30 years now, so I guess Reddit must have learned it from me. My only reactions to people who think this means something are to laugh, scratch my head, and wonder how they got that retarded.

learn.adafruit.com/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-cellphone/overview

the power of meme magic my friend :^)

Look up the interview (can't recall if it's a vid or not) of him saying he increasingly does not want to be associated with people who use PGP because of the types of people that use it.

I don't think Moxie Marlinspike is his real name. He seems more spook-like over the past 3 years.

Ultimately the SS7 backbone is what controls the blackbox in your pocket

I'm approaching 50, and I'm still amazed by how much ass-probing garbage you youngsters do to yourselves through technology.

OpenBTS et al.

also: some now-tranny named Chris had a good demonstration of cellphone eavesdropping at a conference probably 5+ years ago. It's still available on irongeek.com afaik

His last name is definitely a pseudonym. A marlinspike is a tool used by sailors for ropework, and Moxie is an avid amateur sailor.

Moxie's real name is Matthew Rosenfeld or something like that. Yes, he's one of the (((Chosen People))).

He gets really triggered when people ask him about his made-up fun name. He's got a whole rationalization for why it should really be considered his "real name".

isnt this standard on all communication tools?
like to be able to take pictures and send them, it needs that permission. its kinda obvious

is signal better than whatsaap?

Hello Summerfag

The number and types of permissions needed by Signal is creepy. I don't give a fuck what anybody says about how safe, secure, and trustworthy it is. One look at that permissions list was all it took for me to shitcan it. Nothing needs all those permissions and any dev who makes an app that asks for all that is either a crook or a retard. Use Chatsecure or Conversations.

ECKS DEE SICK BERN

By a large margin. When you use WhatsApp Facebook is literally holding your information on private servers with proprietary code.
Signal is open source, and in theory no code is held anywhere but your client and your recipient. That being said, LibreSignal is still better, as it doesn't use Google services, is fully open source, and doesn't require crazy phone permissions.

is dickaids better than buttcunt?

doesn't it encrypt all messages end-to-end? so they only get contact lists?

First time I heard of this 'signal'.

Perhaps OP is the shill, hmmm?

Reddit spacing has been around since Reddit came to be.
Nice try though, redditfag.

t. moron

and which is, of course, easily-spoofed.

I don't know but they were certainly funded by the feds.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Technology_Fund

use Silence! It's what Signal used to be (Textsecure) before it got AIDS from sharing a drink with (((Moxie))).
++Encrypts SMS, doesn't need data
++No phone number registration bullshit
++No Google dicksucking
++On Fdroid since forever, no drama
++Creator isn't an SJW assgoblin
--Doesn't have as many fancy features like encrypted calling
silence.im/

This is true, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for a single reliable tool that does one thing extremely well. Classic Unix philosophy at its best. Silence is a crown jewel of open source on android.

What the fuck?

Facebook generates and stores the private keys. Zucc can read every message you send over WhatsApp.

Where did I say or imply this?

Wrong post, vulgar fag.

closed

SF scene squatfag here. Moxie is a bright kike, but also uber-neoliberal tool.

Pretty much the stereotype of hipster riding single geared bikes ("such primtive technology!"), but the moment push come to shove with anarchism (shitting all over authority), he turns a coat submits to said authority arguing some kind of realpolitik nonsense.

Compromising on ideals is what got us into this authoritarian internet shit in the first place, and the two-faced prick prefers to work with the system without subverting it.

okay now that you are an expert in the e-drama scene where people LARP about the existence of politics in open source, you can go back to reddit

It can run without FCM now, which is a nice gesture - if anyone wants to maintain fdroid builds, they can easily do so with very little effort. Also, you can now just rip the APK from google play and works just fine.

I think moxie didn't change his stance of "f-droid is bunch of retards, google does it better, f-droid must become botnet for me to even consider it", though.

t. retard

For those on f-droid without Google Play, one way to get the apk from Google is with the Yalp app.

I wouldn't download shit from google play. Compiling from source is better and you can be sure no faggotery is included in apk.

You still have to open the app to check for messages if you don't have play services. Moxie has been paying lip service to, but refusing to merge PRs for using websockets.

Anyone still think this guy isn't plant? Anti-spam bump 6.

To be fair, unnecessary decentralization is generally shit.

When normies are in question, they will always (and by that I mean literally always) pick centralized service due to perks that decentralization advocates don't want to acknowledge exist in the first place.

In the end, you're trying to influence some fag to impose decentralization upon normies when you already have email and tox to contact fellow Holla Forumsies. Completely useless.

As governments tighten their grip on the internet, they will look for cetralized hubs of communications and demand backdoor into them. If we want to defend ourselves from censorship and surveillance, we have to be ahead of the curve. Just look at history: In the late early days of telephony, governments ordered the centralization of phone cables, so that it would be easier to wiretap.

And if you depend on central hubs of communication you have to not only trust that they don't stab you in the back, but that they are available for use when you need them. And just because the radically decentralized application so far hasn't been extremely user friendly, doesn't mean it has to be that way.

It's not too much better, but if you love JSON and WebRTC more than XMP and cobwebs, go ahead

so Holla Forums, now that OTR is old (is it even comprimised yet?) what is your favourite Double Ratchet / Signal Protocol text messaging client?
double points for fully distributed
Also, when is PSYNC2 coming out?

I've been using Signal as my default SMS app in Replicant for about a month. Signal stays running in the background, which takes a minor toll on my phone's battery, but I suspect it takes less of a toll on my battery than having Google Services running.

The keys are generated and stored only on the user's phone. Facebook derives value from WhatsApp through metadata collection: who you talk to, how frequently you talk, how long you talk, etc. Even more valuable to Facebook is access to all of the contacts stored on the phone to associate Facebook profiles to phone numbers. The content of the messages and conversations are encrypted end-to-end using functions taken from Signal.

archive.is/ryvbY
archive.is/DXMRg

I didn't know about the sneaky shit Facebook was pulling with encryption keys. Sneaky shit aside, the metadata snooping alone is a compelling enough reason to never use WhatsApp.

There are better alternatives than Signal and Discord and Facebook for security, such as tox, telegram, hexchat through VPN etc.

Signal, and by extension Open Whisper Systems is heavily funded by the propaganda wing of the US government with one of them being the Open Technology Fund signed in by Hillary Clinton. They also accept undisclosed sums as payments from Facebook for support on Whatsapp. It's NOT a non-profit org so there is zero transparency. If you've noticed the news reports shilling Whatsapp and downplaying the backdoors, you should know the state is elbows deep in OWS/Signal/.

Fucking shady stuff. To begin with, requiring phone numbers was a big fucking red flag.

This is new to you?

NSA leaks confirm that everything "free" is really government funded and loaded with botnets, and everything for profit is also a botnet through coercion. The fuckers even funded the Internet of Things so they could watch your sister shower through SmartFaucet 2000.

Basically its impossible to put any system together thats "clean".
Even if you wrote the OS and every bit of software yourself - the hardware is compromised!

To avoid NSA spying the Russians had to build their own hardware from scratch, then build their own software to run it, from scratch. Their CPU is shit at everyday tasks (can barely run videos), but its a cryptographic powerhouse, because they had to shift their whole set of priorities to keep NSA rats out.

When the keys to these backdoors are leaked, it will usher in a new era of hacking.

Then theres this:
forbes.com/sites/beltway/2015/09/16/obama-nudge-government/#530fd7ad2c99
dcclothesline.com/2015/09/18/shock-executive-order-obama-authorizes-behavioral-experiments-on-u-s-citizens-to-advance-government-initiatives/

I only heard about Wire recently. Got any links?

Yeah I remember Veracrypt, Whonix and SubgraphOS also being sponsored by them...

I see Agent Fud has been busy trying to scare people away from security, privacy and anonymity.

He does that on /b too. Whenever a trigger keyword like Tor pops up, he or one of his coworkers is right there to shill against it. Not even including the threads they start. Why else would they have stealthily made propaganda legal against their own countrymen.

good mining cpu for altcoins?

One thing (actually probably the only thing) I'm looking forward to with 4G is replacing analog voice circuits with digital IP telephony. Should make it much easier to encrypt voice calls without using data.

wire.com

You forget the fact that Moxie Marlinspike (real name: Matthew (((Rosenfeld)))) is a Jew.

we're fucked

are you the division that squats and shits in the street?

I hate these fucking gay ass buzzwords.

I don't know what any of it means.

Our victory is inevitable.
It feels like a sludge pouring little by little in our direction, but their actions and reactions make it clear.
They can try to contain it, but every damn will break and every little blockage will not be able to stop the sludge.

Until we come there I commend everyone, that is, for fighting the good fight. Even if you feel you are not doing a big contribution, trust me you are.The mere presence of us strikes fear in powers that be.