Is Ubuntu's main flavor going back to GNOME a good thing?

Is Ubuntu's main flavor going back to GNOME a good thing?

I don't really give a fuck about ubuntu, but this is a good thing for a couple reasons: unity is shit and has always been shit, mir is NIH syndrome garbage that never needed to exist. So maybe now canonical can contribute to existing projects. I didn't mind unity, but mir was always a fucking retarded idea that only would have caused more fragmentation in an area that doesn't need to be fragmented. They could have made mir a wayland compositor from the beginning, and contributed to wayland development but instead they wanted to try to gain control in that area by forcing their own standard to the detriment of the rest of the linux community

isnt there a sticky for retarded questions?

Why do people keep spouting this nonsense? They contribute to other projects, they simply ditched GNOME due to the totalitarianism of the latter's developers.

Definitely, unity wasn't that great to use in the first place, neither is gnome but it's definitely better than unity. The only thing I believe unity is better at than gnome is maybe a mobile phone os? But since the Ubuntu phone flopped I don't see why they should continue with unity

Yeah fuck having options let's all submit to our benevolent masters at freedesktop and redhat.

Compiz will bitrot now without Canonical maintaining it, reducing choice for everyone.

It's good because unity sucks dicks, It's bad because GNOME also sucks dicks.
Ubuntu sucks dicks.

Much, much better than whatever GNOME 3 is supposed to be.
Wayland was vaporware until Mir was announced.
Wayland and Mir are not equal. Mir is a replacement to Xorg, while Wayland is just a bunch of specifications. Which means every compositor is going to do it's own shit, duplicate efforts and look different. Plus, it makes basic shit like scaling a nightmare thanks to it's retarded design.
Plus, no font rendering. It's bulllshit.
LightDM is one of the best there is. Yet they have to abandon it since GNOME and it's developers are fucking shit.
You mean what Red Hat has been doing for years? systemd, Wayland, Flatpak, PulseAudio, GTK, etc. They've been doing everything to control the OSes and retards like you are helping them by killing non-Red Hat products.

How many distros other than ubuntu offered unity? What about mir? Pure NIH garbage that wasn't useful to anyone but unbuntu

The only OS Red Hat is trying to control is Red Hat OS. It is not Red Hat's problem if other distributions decide to use the technology that was written by Red Hat. Other distributions are perfectly free to write their own software technology.

Unity and Gnome are both shit but the way Gnome is going I'd say it was a fuck up

fuck my ass hole I can't even sage

everything else > gnome > unity

ubuntu moved the smallest possible distance in the right direction.

What a retarded question.

ITT Redmond

Ubuntu isn't even relevant anymore. Mint is way better for "babby's first linux" in pretty much every way.

Nonsense. Redhat is trying to take over the whole universe.

Proof: systemdildo.

Yes, it should shift the atmosphere/culture of linux desktops in the direction of usability again. GNOME is pretty deprecated at this point though, they should pick up Xfce.

Ubuntu MATE is the best choice. Now if only they added support for DPI scaling.

if ubuntu used cinnamon as its main desktop, i would laugh

Arch

Who even cares about ubuntu these days? Both GNOME and Unity are shit. Xfce is the real thing.

Kill yourself.

Off yourself.

Gas yourself.

Liquidate yourself.

Cremate yourself.

Unity is shit but GNOME is far worse, so no.

M-x eshell-life-is-too-much yourself.

Whatever Ubuntu does, it's always a good thing. This is no different.

To be honest I actually would like to have a serious discussion about the merits of Enlightenment versus Openbox. I'm having a hard time finding something in Enlightenment that can't be done just as well in Openbox.

Not really. It sort of worked for a while but barely, and looked ugly. And then after a while it was just completely gone. I think it's sort of back now, but not sure, either way, it's a broken shit mess on arch.
t.Guy who actually likes unity, and used arch for some time.

keep using compton with its shitty fade animations.

The only good thing that will come from ubuntu/canonical is its corpse.