DCAU Thread

From the guy that brough you the Batman thread comes one for me watching the rest of the DCAU. I'm already almost finished with Superman, so I'll mention my thoughts on that.
-Mxyplyzyk's first episode is probably my favorite in the whole show
-Batman crossover episodes were fantastic
-Superman pretending to be Batman is best of all
I thought the Superman show was overall better than Batman, and currently (prior to rewatching) ranks #2 for me next to JLU. The show does a great job building up lore without ever making it overwhelming or daunting. You definitely get a benefit from watching the show in order, but it's not necessary, unlike BTAS where you could literally pick any episode at random and get a perfectly contained story. "Monkey Fun" was probably the worst episodes, and the only other ones I had problems with are when they tried to forcibly introduce Justice League members to prepare for the JL show. The Flash episode, which happened way earlier however, was solid. Also, the show has the best recurring characters ever, with Dan Turpin (The police officer that literally gets vaporized by Darksied, and Bigby, the recurring Seaboat captain. Lastly, Shirley Willams made the best fucking Superman theme to date.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExecutiveMeddling
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Personally, the best Superman episode for me is either the first Mr. Myxyzptlk episode or The Late Mr. Kent.

Just finished "The Demon Reborn," that was actually a bit bad. The plot and episode itself wasn't terrible r anything, but giving the League hi-tech anti-grav speeder bikes to fit in with the feeling of the Superman show left a bad taste in my mouth. Ignoring that, it's a solid episode.

Yeah..kinda weird that B:TAS has this 50's aesthetics but S:TAS has this futuristic aesthetics made it kinda jarring when they do cross over.

Legacy, the last two episodes were pretty dang fantastic. I like how they opened up by showing your three separate Supermen to get you really confused from the get go. Also, I didn't expet them to end the series on such a dark note with the Earth loathing and fearing Superman. That was pretty gutsy.

Ok, time to dump the DVD special features. Converting them to webm will turn them to shit, so I'll post them on youtube.

"Menaces of Metropolis"

"Behind the Cape" a legit interview with the producers of the show

"Building the Mythology"

I think the difference between Batman and Superman is that while Superman is all about the city and people interacting with Supes. In BTAS it's way more personal. most of the story focused on at least 1 villain and their motives, exploits and reasons. Because of that people opinion fluctuated between each episode. But in Superman the dynamic is pretty much almost the same, with the bad guys are less fleshed out compared to Batman series.

While I do think Superman was more consistent in quality (both in animation and writing), Batman always seemed to have the higher peaks.

Superman did have the Apokolips story arc though, one of the best arcs from the DCAU, only topped by the Cadmus arc in JLU (which itself was influenced by the aftermath of the Apokolips arc).

Well they dropped that in TNBA, possibly in part so that they could cross over.

Early designs for S:TAS gave that show a 50s aesthetic too, similar to the Fleischer cartoons.

Well, tech companies probably steer clear from Gotham due to extremely high crime rate before Batman. So that explain why Gotham was a shithole with antiquated buildings and infrastructures. After Batman starts to clean up most of Gotham and Wayne Company tried their hardest to invite new investors in Gotham finally got revamped with better technological infrastructures.

I wonder how long that took.

Except Wayne Enterprises has always worked to bring more jobs to Gotham, which suddenly makes the whole setting make a lot of sense. The wealth/class disparity in Gotham must be enormous! Wayne enterprises wants to bring jobs to Gotham, but whose going to move to Gotham for these huge research jobs (a city were you have a 10% chance of your experiment being stolen by criminals) and management positions unless you pay them a LOT of money? I would guess that in Gotham, instead of rich people being the 1%, it might be more along the line of the 20%. People who work in Gotham probably make so much money that the high potential for being robbed doesn't even effect them, with their high rate of pay and low as fuck cost of living in a shit hole city. But at the same time, there's a huge number of people who don't have access to those jobs that can only work as janitors, or have to resort to crime to get money, and there's absolutely no shortage of targets there.

How about the monochrome TVs and tommy guns? I mean I'm willing to let it go and say "it's just a cartoon" but if your autism is up to the challenge…

Well since the city folks are poor owning a piece of shit tech like monochrome TVs is what they can afford. If the rich also own monochrome TVs it's because they know those thieves not gonna steal heavy electronic equipment that will sell for shit dollar.

Tommy guns, simple. After world war 2 there's a lot of military surplus no one want to take care of. So gangsters can afford them for cheap from corrupt military officials.

What next? Cars? Two possibilities, either the old style is trendy again or old American cars in DC universe are more reliable than our universe. So no need to replace them with newer models.

Computer, well if they are really skimpy in cost saving measure they can always stuck with older tech a little bit longer. I mean irl we have companies that still using Win XP for their company's OS.

Food? WHO WANT TO BUY FROM STARBUCK WHEN WE HAVE LOCAL DELI SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS YOU FUCK OR I WILL SEND MY GOONS TO BREAK YOUR FUCKING LEG!

Prostitution. Who need sex bots when we still have good ol STD ridden pussies.

Sunlight, who need sunlight, we got smog, all the smog, it's always night time here. You hate the heat? Don't worry this city is always 5 degrees colder than other cities. This message is paid by Mr Victor Fries.

Visit Gotham City, come for the atmosphere, stay because the Joker gas is pretty potent this time of year.

Ok, time to start on Justice League. This will be interesting, because I tried to watch it only a year or two ago, but I thought the first episodes were so awful that I couldn't continue it and skipped straight to JLU. This time I'll stick it out regardless. As a side note, which Hawkgirl is best Hawkgirl? Thanagarian, or ancient egypt?

I say Thanagarian, but only because that's what JL had.

Main issue so far is that they added lines to Superman's face. Now he looks OLD AS FUCK and tired all the time. It doesn't really look like his personality.

It does get better

"In Blackest Night" was really good, especially as a character vignette for John Stewart. However I get annoyed at Flash being treated as the Butt Monkey just because he's supposed to be cocky.

Anything with Walley is good.

You weren't lying. I'm most of the way through the first season now, and there pretty much isn't a bad moment now. The Aquaman story was pretty funny, in the sense that they had already shown him in Superman as a real dorky looking dude, and turned him into a complete badass.
War World is without a doubt the best Superman story I've ever seen that's actually about the modern, everyday Superman. Stories like Kingdom Come are great, but they're always about Superman in a situation that's completely different from what he normally faces. War World was just Superman being himself, and showing how inspirational that can be.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on eventually watching "Static Shock" and "Project Zeta" as well?

My mistake, "The Zeta Project".

I'll probably do Static Shock, considering he's one of my favorite heroes. But I've got no intentions of doing Zeta Project. Not even the people who created the show wanted it to get a second season

The show did have a second season, but it never rereleased due to the low DVD sales of the first season.

I remember reading that the writers were glad it ended either way, because the network executives were making completely ridiculous demands for the show. One of the major ones was demanding the chick be a robot.
Have a screenshot from Legends, it'll make a good reaction pic

A Knight of Shadows is the first disappointment I've really had so far for Justice league. I'm not sure what it is, but it probably had something to do with everyone ignoring Etrigan's warnings of "Jonn's mind has been fucking invaded you guys really need to watch out." Also, Etrigan never rhymed in his dialogue.

If you want a real treat, watch the commentary of the The Main Man part II and hear Bruce Timm unironically complain that Lobo is a misogynist. The commentary was recorded IIRC during the last season of JLU or some time shortly after. Makes me wonder if Bruce Timm drank the koolaid and then gave it up or he is still SJWish.

I would assume he's saying it in more of a "The character is a ton of fun, but I don't really like writing for him because of that." Timm seems like a non-retarded liberal.

Kirby's Etrigan never rhymed. That was an invention by Alan Moore.

Also, I enjoyed the fact that JL Etrigan sounded like Funimation Vegeta

There's only one Hawkgirl in the show, the Thanagarian. There are two Hawkmen

I meant in DC universes in general

Finished season 1. The WW2 time travel was fun, and I liked how they managed to completely split up the team and still have them work together. I'm getting a bit annoyed at how many of the episodes lack Batman entirely, and not because I'm a huge Batman fanboy, but because I love seeing one normal dude fighting along side all the god-like dudes.

If he did it doesn't really show. He doesn't use Twitter or anything like that. His only interaction with fans is at cons or occasional ToonZone posts, which he used to do a lot more frequently when JL/JLU were actually on. Even then he'd mostly only talk about his work or comic related stuff. As for his work, I didn't notice any SJW shit in Gods and Monsters and SJWs actually shat on the Killing Joke movie because they had Batgirl's life revolve around a man or two men or some other stupid bullshit. He also did an artbook full of naked women.

So I'm going to say that Bruce Timm is probably all right and I honestly don't want to know any different, because I respect and admire the man too much.

Justice League is way too fucking consistent. I barely have any complaints or admiration about the show, I finished "Only a Dream," that was a pretty great story. The Doctor Destiny rework was fantastic, and Martian Manhunter and Batman are my two favorite League member, so I had I lot of fun getting to focus on those two.

???

What the hell happened in Metropolis to get the futuristic aesthetic and tech, then? Bring your autism to bear, user.

Finished "Maid of Honor." I surprisingly liked the first episode specifically over the second. I like how Wonder Woman got a ton of character building time without there being a ton of danger. Episodes like that are always fun.

Easy, Lex has the criminal underworld on lockdown to prevent it from being awful. Crime in Metropolis almost never effects random Joes, it's always a big heist steal some specialized technology. And even then it's usually Luthor selling to those criminals.

I've got to say, watching this I've come to the realization that DC could easily have just STARTED with a fucking Justice League movie and built from there.

So thats what its like when Joker rides Harley.

It's funny, because Snyder cited Seven Samurai as an influence on his Justice League movie. If you look at Seven Samurai, or even the Magnificent Seven, they didn't need to make seven separate movies to establish all the characters. They did it all within the framework of that one movie.

Hell, look at Justice League: War. 50% of that movie wasn't establishing characters, or fighting the bad guy. It was the characters shit talking each other and bantering. It still did everything it needed to establish characters, build a credible threat, and have a solid story.

It was alright

I didn't say it was great, I said it did a solid job of being a movie..
I personally love it because of all the character interactions, but I'm well aware of it's flaws

Hal getting beaten was funny

Now that I think about, most of the best moments come from Hal in that movie.

user? Did you encounter difficulties uploading this?

The low quality is from the original file

I'm having to wrestle with my connection and resolution just to get it playing.

And flash

best character

Huh…no wonder she never left Mr. J.

I don't know…Booster Gold and Elongated Man are pretty good too.

Starlab of course. And routine invasions from outer space or other dimension. hey keep dropping sweet sweet tech loots.

Of course having Superman and Supergirl and competent police force encourage people to invest in Metropolis.

Timm is either a centered right or left winger, and I'd wager on right. Not like Holla Forums, but he would of voted the big two last US election, just not Trump or Hillary.

well he replaced aquaman with a woman and hal with a negro and they miscegenated

Are you brain damaged user?

Kinda weird how the DCAU has John Stewart and Kyle Rayner (even gave Kyle Hal's origin story) but the best Green Lantern, Guy Gardner is comic only.

DCAU had Hal too

For a moment

Not enough of either.

Guy Gardner was in Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

You know..we should have a Booster Gold series.

This fucking abomination had Hal, but he was acting like Guy.
Also Barry acting like Wally, only when Wally was homeless, which he was for, like, ONE issue, when JLI recruited him, so the writers confirmed for having read only JLI and no other comics, not even DC Who's Who as research.

Didn't Wally have a mansion? I recall that he did.

It was a fun moment though

Guy was the GL in Brave and the Bold, also as said he was in GLTAS as well.

Yeah, I know that. It's also nice that BATB referenced the JLI "One punch" incident.

Are you drunk?

Sorry

left out the part where he removed AMERICA from the justice league of AMERICA, can't even mention that word in a positive light when you're making anti-white propaganda for your globalist masters

Yep, he's drunk

Said Justice League operates worldwide, out of a base orbiting the Earth and contains three aliens and one Amazon woman, all of whom do not originate from the United States

Calling it Justice League of America would be inaccurate

I assume he means swapping out Aquaman's usual place in the main seven with Hawkgirl.

Justice League still did a pretty good Aquaman though.

They did the right thing honestly. Aquaman's boring. Even with the Viking version they put in the show, there's only a certain amount of stories you could really do with him.

From a TV Show perspective, DCAU Justice League has the perfect line-up.

Man I wish Brave and Bold Aquaman would comeback

What does Green Arrow have to do with it?

I thinks its just a reaction image

JLU was actually a good way to kickstart Booster Gold TV series. But he's still an obscure character.

That movie was so bad it's hilarious. Green Lantern can fly but that idiot created a propeller and helicopter'd his way out.

He probably mistaken Ollie's beard with Aquaman's beard.

Should Ted Kord show up in a Booster Gold show?

It's a reaction picture, how have you fucks not realized this

Of course. But try to ask children everywhere, show them pics of Batman, Superman, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. They going to identify the former two and most of them going to say "Who?" for the latter two.

I know. I'm just speculating he's looking for Aquaman angry reaction and Ollie is the closest he can found in his folder.

Well, I guess you can try to give them proper exposure. If Green Arrow (seriously, show them to people back when Arrow wasn't around, folks would think he's Robin Hood…or a Hawkeye knockoff, which is stupid considering GA was around before Hawkeye) can somehow be known to people, with the proper work, so will Booster and Beetle.

Timm could easily be like one of the typical people on Holla Forums who still ascribe to SJW-lite thinking, i.e. it's not objectification when I do it because I do it tastefully. Hell, there's a thread on the catalog that is, "how do we do diversity right?" as if compromising with SJW mandates is a way to reduce or remove their influence ( ). There's a ton of people who are unaware that they blindly follow SJW thinking but don't act on it as overtly as an SJW would. Then when they commit an act of oppression/micro-aggression/triggering in front of an SJW they wonder what they did wrong, how foolish could they have been, how can they once again prove they're tolerant and at least they're not a bigot nazi, etc.

Regardless, the point that was making was that Bruce Timm may or may not be, or once was so aligned with the SJW mindset that he recognized Lobo was a misogynist in retrospect - because that commentary was recorded almost a decade after they made it. Personally I don't think he is or was an SJW but he was clearly influenced by their thinking because he sounded sincere in the commentary. There's also A LOT of suspicious creative choices made all the way back in BTAS, like that one episode where Poison Ivy was reiterating feminist thinking to Harley that was dangerously close to killallmen-tier thinking, and it's vague as to whether it was supposed to mean being a feminist like that is bad or she was trying to protect Harley from joker's influence and feminism was a tool - it's way too vague to tell. The thing that scares me the most is that if and hopefully when SJW thinking is obliterated, DCAU will be outdated or even become greylisted in a sense where the remnants of overall mild SJW shit inside of it will be outlawed or censored to some extent.

Depends on how much of a fuss people have with it.

Some books out there (Like The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series) were censored as far back as the 60's and no one except the historians and purists actually know and fuss about it. Then, there's other books (Like Tom Sayer and Huck Finn) where people are pushing for censored to copies to be the only ones in circulation, but enough people oppose it that copies with the original text are still available alongside the censored versions.

Honestly, though, I don't see how they'll get away with censoring, or even outlawing, material in this digital age. Over the last year, people are already making a fuss about video games removing or altering the smallest of content in their international releases. Imagine how much worse it will be years from now. Also, they won't be able to outlaw the material (Or even the ideals) without it violating the first amendment.

And that was portrayed as BAD

What? She's a cluster B sociopathic bitch who values plants more than people. Nothing she ever said was meant to be 'good'

Why is DCAU Lois so Asian looking?

Watch the episode again. The feminist things she says are never addressed. You could replace the dialog with nothing and it will have no bearing on the plot. That may sound like it's negligible, but that's also how writers used to get things past the censors. It's meant to go over your head and be left to interpretation, i.e. "You only assume it's bad/good because you see it that way! You're just biased!" Or my favorite, "It's just subjective, bro!"

If it was meant to be a representation of killallmen feminism and portray it for what it was by having a villain say it, it was a terrible idea and handled poorly because again, it's not addressed and there's no indication that poison ivy pays for her beliefs. This is especially hazardous to people who are passively inclined to fall for the surface-level SJW message or people who have never been exposed to that - a 90s TV-viewing audience. Parallel to that was the release of the iconic feminist movie Thelma and Louise 2 years prior, but especially in a pre-internet savvy world films and their influence have a long-term cultural effect. In other words, movies that come out a few years can have the same influence as if they were still new. The sad truth is that Poison Ivy and Harley's pairing is a mirror of two feminists going postal and killing men because literally all men are ebil.

Sorry to those who are just picking up on this.

The eyes and the hairstyle I guess. Which is funny since they do have Asians in the DCAU. Like the Asian reporter with the hots for the Flash. And Doctor Light.

Fuck, this may be the greatest christmas episode in existence

Linda Park, that's Wally's love interest. Funny thing is Bart Allen love interest is also an Asian girl in her school that looks like younger Linda Park.

Awww that's adorable.

During the episode Jonn also stomps around on a little girl's roof to make her think it's Santa

What? I thought Bart's love interest was Arrowette.

I own most copies of old Impulse comics. Bart went to school and he met this Asian girl and they seem to hit it off well.

Until Inertia step in, then things went to shit, Bart lost his friends thanks to Inertia and Bart got killed by Inertia's goons (even though he got revived later).

I LOVE Impulse series, it going so well until they decided to fuck it up royally with the stupid age acceleration.

that was cute

Nice meme

Have another cute character moment

Finally finished Justice League. The final storyline was real fuckin' good, even though it was pretty "by-the-numbers." Also, there should be a miniseries or something about Alfred living on thw Watchtower and interacting with the league.

All right, I'm back with Static Shock downloaded. I except to be severely disappointed with this show, considering it's one of the highlights of my childhood. It's probably nowhere near as good as I remember. But it can't be as bad as the Static comics, right?

The show could get preachy with some issues. Mainly the school shooter one.

It's pretty funny how they avoid actual violence being shown, even though the entire world is built around fucktons of real world gang violence.

It starts off weak, but it gets better. The GL team-up in particular is very fun.

She-bang though is utter garbage.

LOOK OUT! JIMMY'S GOT A GUN!

It's rather enjoyable how Richie and Virgil take all the super-stuff in stride and actually enjoy it.

I can't wait to see that episode.

Fucking hell, they didn't even show a doctor sticking him with a needle.

I remember Hotstreak being a lot more menacing and serious as a kid

Previously on The Flash . . . After I went back into the past and stupidly caused the alternative timeline known as Flashpoint, I defeated the new threats it brought to our world and thought it would now be safe. Then I found out those Legend of Tomorrow cunts kept messing with the fabric of time . . . like once a week or so . . . that has now resulted in ANOTHER new timeline . . . A timeline in which we are all strapped for cash in our costume budget . . . I call it . . . "Cashpoint" . . .

If that actually was Guy, his costume would be OK on a buffer actor.

I forgot how black this show is. Rubberband Man's first episode is about getting revenge on the rapper who stole his music for his own shit.

It's okay, but their 'how do you do, fellow kids' style of talking gets grating after awhile.

I would read the hell out of that if it were real.

So far I've actually been impressed by how realistic the slang is in the show. It's sure as hell dated by now, but it actually sounds pretty natural. I'd say a lot of it however comes from the fact that Virgil and Richie are fucking dorks, which makes it seem less like "trying to sound cool" from the producers and instead comes from them sounding like fucking nerds.

hawkgirl is a dumb character. how does she put her shirt on?

A pair of scissors and two sets of velcro

Her shirt is backless

Makes me wonder how her top worked in JLU when they gave her that Kill Bill outfit.

Well, nigga, how do you get your arms through your shirt? She's probably got wing holes at the back or some shit

Yeah but her wings are huge. I'm just imagining how one would try to fit their wings thru tiny holes.

They're only slightly longer than her arms

They are superheroes with base located on the moon. Also some of them got tech from aliens or outerworlds. So it's believeable that they can have a very stretchy fabric for Hawkgirl to wear.

What kind of retard invites his black friend over when his father is that much of a racist fuck? Why does Richie act like this is such a big deal?

I guess Richie is a bit of a pushover? Makes me wonder if his dad hates blacks so much why live there? Why not move?

Who the fuck is the person who, when asked what kids these days find really cool, responded, "Keytars"?

Maybe he can't afford to?

ah good point.

I don't know. The animation was pretty fluid though.

That's the funniest part.

I know it's standard superhero fare, but Virgil really seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't hide him being Static from his dad.

I feel like Virgil could be a lot more effective if he'd visit his classmates as Static whenever they encounter trouble.

Jesus christ, why do kids shows always have to have such shitty sounding music? That's 90% of what makes them bad. Listen to that shitty MIDI batman them. Why couldn't they just fucking ask to rip it from BTAS's actual soundtrack or something?

That sounds like it came from a computer game I had as a kid.

Why the fuck did they make a random citizen into a character from Arabian Nights

wait when did this happen? I watched the show but I don't remember this.

He was just a random bouncer

I thought it was supposed to go down hill from here

Because that's probably what they were going for. They were probably trying to make the Batman theme sound more 'ghetto'

The building looks kind of Arab-y. Maybe it's an Arabian Nights themed club

You got to look to the future, mang.

Budgets. WB probably didn't give them shit for money seeing as it was a new property with a Black protagonist.

I wonder if he's paid extra to dress like that on a cold, rainy day.

Hope so, it would suck to get a cold.

Here's a webm that will probably find some future use.

My biggest problem with kid shows is usually that they have that shitty sound track that ruins them. Like anytime something "pathetic" happens,you'll always hear that fucking tuba go, "Bwah-bwaaaaa"

Wouldn't have cost them anything to rip the old themes. Hell, it wouldn't have cost them very much to get Shirley Walker in if they wanted, that's why she stopped scoring DCAU stuff

This would have been a good episode if it hadn't been 7 minutes of some priest rattling off government statistics about homelessness

Actually, knowing Warner, it probably would have cost them a lot, like paying for the rights to sample that specific piece of music. That's how things work in these big companies.

Also, did you even read the PNG you posted? Shirley wanted out of cartoons around the time Static premiered, so she was not an option. It also didn't say she was paid in pennies and batarang shooters, otherwise she would've also composed Zeta Project.

Too bad she turns normal at the end.

They own the rights, dumbass. They made the fucking music. You only pay for rights when you don't own the music

Did you know that Cartoon Network had to pay licensing fees to DC for all of their superhero programs despite both of them being owned by Warner Bros.? Don't doubt the complexity of these businesses.

That's insane!

Apples and Oranges. Those types of licensing fees arise because CN and DC need to divvy up revenues from toy sales and other merchandise sales. DC also need to be paid if CN are going to create their own versions of characters DC own. You've got the same deal with any of the Looney Tunes characters.

It's not the same thing as music licensing. The reason they used the songs they did in the JLU episode 'This Little Piggy' was because Warners owned them and didn't have to pay anyone for them. Timm even wanted to change a few lyrics (From 'Lulu's Back in Town' to 'Circe's Back in Town') and Warners said no, presumably because then they would have to pay something for music licensing.

So begins the fucking preaching to children. I except this is going to go downhill real fast from here

But we get some good moments from Batman characters from this episode, so that's good.

I'm now on the episode where Richie becomes Gear. I don't necessarily hate him becoming a superhero, but I like the idea that a normal nerd was able to help Virgil create all his static gear.

Static visits Africa, and decides that despite generations of being on a different continent, they are one and the same. I fucking hate when black people act like Africans are somehow fucking connected to them.

They actually came up with a pretty neat hero for some random nigger that never shows up again ever.

I wish there was more of him. Seriously, he was the best part of those episodes. Does he feature in the comics?

Nope, he only exists for the two episodes he's in. He doesn't exist anywhere else.

Is that Martian Manhunter doing the voice?

Well thats a shame. I liked his character.

Yes it is, good catch.

Come one man. It's the best part.

I plan on using that webm for reaction purposes in the future. Including Richie's line would have ruined that purpose

I know that feeling.

I actually like what they did with Ebon. He's only been the main bad guy of maybe three episodes (I'm on S3), but he's practically omnipresent in the background, always lurking in the shadows. It makes him more threatening than if he fought Static constantly

Wouldn't a guy named "Ivor" or something be more appropriate for a Static Shock enemy?

Damn that's actually pretty awesome superhero. What a shame really.

Lesbian scene when?

It's a good joke, but seriously, don't.

This

Yeah, but he isn't present anywhere outside of Static Shock, which is a damn shame since he's a good villain.

Then again, DC can't be trusted with such treasures.

Funny enough Ebon's real name is Ivan I think.

He only really 'works' within Static Shock. He wouldn't be any good anywhere else. He's too street to be a Batman villain and too small-time to go up against Superman or the Justice League as a whole

Creepy

I think you might be full of shit. He might make a great Batman villain, considering his power is "shadows," which is where Batman spends all of his time. He wouldn't have worked within BTAS, but he definitely could be used as a villain for Batman in another version.

Or a justice league villain

A niche which is well covered. The Shade comes to mind. Inque. Ebon also shapeshifts for which Batman has the many incarnations of Clayface and some others
He wouldn't have worked for any interpretation of Batman. Batman's not ghetto. He's street level but he's not exactly 'street'.

Ebon works for Static and maybe he could be made to work for some other black superheroes. Maybe John Stewart Green Lantern. But that's it. He wouldn't work for Batman or Superman

I think you misunderstand me.

Ebon only appeared in the Static Shock cartoon. He never appeared in the Static comics or anywhere else in the DCU.

Did I suggest otherwise? Here's a hint for you: the cartoon is called Static Shock. The comic books are just called Static

I'd watch it.

Holy fuck you're right. I'm on the second She-bang episode, She's so fucking dull.

Are you saying Batman never goes to the hood?

God dammit man, I'm fucking crying over here

This episode is both the worst, and best, episode of this show.

THIS CAN'T WAIT A MONTH

The final episode has Virigl's dad admit he's known Virgil=Static for a while. That scene is even more touching with that in mind.

Does Batman Beyond count? If so, when should I watch Return of the Joker? I've heard it practically doesn't matter, but also that after season 2 is the good place to watch it.

Yes, it counts. Watch the entire series before Static Shock and Justice League. Watch Return of the Joker right after finishing the series. If you can, try to watch the episodes in production order rather than the order they aired.

Fucking samoflange.

Not doing much to dispel the running gimmick of black guys with electrical powers, huh?

Soul Power was actually supposed to be Black Lightning, but they couldn't clear the rights.

Any other differences?

It counts a lot more than Static Shock

Life is suffering.

I hate how shows always out the superhero to important people on the very last episode or two, as if having a couple of episodes with the dynamic of his parents knowing wouldn't be really fun.

Baby Doll is THE MOST underrated Batman villain. EVER.

Fuuuuuuuuck, was her episode one of the best in the entire fucking series…

I liked the original episode but that TNBA episode was garbage

Hell, they recasted Killer Croc too. The TNBA Croc sounded…off.

Yeah, the TNBA episode is debatable at best, but it'll never be as good as the original TAS episode. That shit is god-tier…

… and the ending has me crying my eyes out every time.

They redesigned him too and the redesign looked like shit. Easily one of the worst redesigns of TNBA, along with Catwoman and Joker

Well, Static Shock is finished. I have to say, it was actually a lot better than I expected, and Static still remains as one of my favorite heroes despite some real cringe worthy episodes. It's definitely a "Saturday Morning" cartoon, but it's a real good one.

Have the final scene of the show. I think they managed a damn near perfect ending. It's the right compromise between, "Everything is wrapped up nicely," and "The adventure continues."

I think the world needs more episodes about the tragedy of youth gang violence. Especially now.

Shebang is the worst fucking thing in Static. She keeps appearing and keeps being an annoying cunt.

She feels like a executive demand, like Max from Batman Beyond.

Good luck with that. Western media has been turned in inoffensive mush in order to appeal to the broadest demographic possible. A show like Static Shock couldn't exist in today's world.

Why do executives love to stick their pointy noses into things and generally fuck things up? Do they hate good things?

Got to appeal to those demographics, man.

It's a curse that non-creative types always run studios, and non-creative types like to stick their dick in the talents' ear and leave some kind of mark on the product by making ill-considered decisions just because they can.
When they go full retard you get Cool World, or Heroes Reborn, or The Nutty Nut, or 47 Ronin.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExecutiveMeddling

Because the only way they get to keep their job is not to make good things, but to make sure everyone knows they helped make a good thing. Being an executive just means shouting about how big your dick is. I'm reminded of the executive producer who cancelled "Angel" on a whim because Joss Whedon complained to him that they needed to know if they were getting another season something sooner than "during the filming of the last episode," which the executive had been doing for the past 4 seasons.

And when shit falls..it falls on the talent and not the execs.

They usually did the first screening for the show they run. Their power pretty much just "Muh Upiniun is the right one, change it!"

I guess being a dick is a requirement to be an exec, huh?

Well yeah. Their entire job is them trying to force themselves into places and trying to plant their seed.

Or Alien 3, or Tank Girl, or Super Mario Brothers, or Suicide Squad.

Is this allowed here?

As a comparison, I guess. I mainly made this thread to blogpost about watching the show for the heck of it and hopefully entertain people.

Some of the animations in JLA feels anime, especially when there's explosion, laser, or buildings collapsing.

Are parts of it done in Japan or something?

Mother fucker, most animation is done in Japan/Korea. Most of BTAS was done there.

Op you should watch these next if you haven't yet.

Am I the only one that thinks the original BTAS art style has a timeless quality to it? New Adventures/Superman/Beyond retains some of that quality but I can't help feeling that Justice League lost something along the way with it's art style and animation when I watch it these days.

Weird, I have the opposite opinion.
I think the JL/JLU art style is more timeless.

Since the old thread died, it's as good a place as any to talk about it.
Anyone watch the most recent episode?

The style is defiantly memorable.

I just got done binging on Batman Beyond. A couple of questions. Well mainly what happened to Dereck power/Blight? He just upped and disappeared after the sub sinks. He gets hinted at surviving (like Inque and is even shown right after). I noticed tone changed a bit in from the corporate dicks to thugs and supervillains going into season 2. But he just never shows up again when most everyone out side of the Terrific Trio (who at least got a cameo in the Rats episode) or anyone very explicitly dead gets a go at bats again. Hell even the same Jokerz get used again once in a while. It just seems odd that someone they built up as the biggest bad guy just gets forgotten about.

Maybe the suits demanded a way to bring him back in if they wanted, and it never happened.

I think they just never got around to him again before they got cancelled, you notice they didn't have a real finale, odd that even JLU never managed to give him some kind of a nod

I don't remember this, what happened?

I remember the ninja from BTAS was supposed to die, but then they made them put in a line for Bruce implying that he probably lived

It's like when Homer says he's sure they'll be seeing Sherry Bobbins again soon enough, and then the airplane gets her

The Terrific Trio (Magma specifically) got a shout out as an action figure Rat Guy (forget his generic name) is holding while saying "I collect the things other people discard" or something to that effect. I get why they didn't show up (not even as a comic they had planed) was due to them being Fantastic Four rip-offs and probably didn't want to get into a legal battle over it.

Also I haven't watched BTAS I feel like Terry gets his ass handed to him more then Bruce did, I'm I right in thinking this?

Most definitely. A big theme of Beyond was that Bruce had already trained his whole life for the Batman gig, but Terry was winging it.

I don't think they really had an idea of what to do with Blight since his character was literally just "corrupt corporate executive".

When Luthor got cancer, he went full-on crazy mad scientist. When Powers became a radioactive skeleton…he just continued with his underhanded business dealings.

The one thing that bugged me a bit was how Wonder Woman in that universe was from New Genesis and had nothing to do with the Amazons or Themiscyra. Good movie still.

In between fits of going crazy

The reason they didn't want to do anything more with Blight was that they'd already done corporate stuff with Superman and a bit with the original BTAS. They wanted to focus a bit more on Terry's level, you know high school stuff, to make it stand out.

I liked that about her. There wasn't really anything they could do with the Amazon, Wonder Woman's already the most violent of the three. New Genesis was a completely different angle and allowed Timm to showcase his Kirby obsession

Well that was disappointing.

He was always the big bad. We just didn't know his connection to the plot until the finale.

Of course The Joker was the big bad at the end. It's a fucking Batman movie. A fucking Batman movie with a major theatrical release. Nobody's going to watch a Batman movie without some ridiculous villain for him to fight.

Which was the major flaw of Mask of the Phantasm. They tried to tell this story about gangsters with drama and romance, but they forgot that they were making a movie about fucking Batman.

bump

How was that a flaw? They pulled the gangster shit and the romance shit off very well.