Intel ME and Tor

If Tor relies on encryption, and encryption keys are processed by CPUs, and every modern Intel CPU has ME, how can you say Tor is safe?

Add to that the fact they are collecting all the Tor traffic. So they have the traffic + an always on backdoor to get the key to decrypt said traffic.

So there. Tor is compromised.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardenedlinux.github.io/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
coreboot.org/Security#Auditable_code
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This would also mean Linux is compromised

All 256 encryption is compromised

Everything is compromised

OP is a retard.

- use a nice AMD FX-8350. No backdoor.
- what the hell is NSA going to do with umpty-gazillion MB of encrypted traffic they can't read?

All AMD hardware post 2013 is compromised fam

Dumbass, the FX chips came out in 2011.

Two reasons:

1. No real world example of this staed scenario has been documented.
2. All threads created with with the "[x] is [y] prove me wrong XD" narrative should be pruned along with the faggots who create them.

I'm dumb so pls explain: if so many processors and other hardware pieces allegedly have backdoors wouldn't a simple scan of the network traffic prove once for all they are actually pinging home?

Only the family 16h and after.
There was still CPUs from previous families launched after 2013. In fact I think none of the desktop CPUs until Ryzen were fam16 or greater.

Intel me is a bad thing but just use tor on an ARM or MIPS board.
use a usb NIC if your worried about ME's out of band access to your ethernet.
Compile tor with libressl
These defeatist posts that offer nothing but "stop using x, x is bad!" are literal 3 letter shills or retards.

What hardware are you running the scan on? :^)

Seriously though, the backdoors probably aren't used very often, but they could be. They WILL eventually be exploited, too. Imagine if intel had their own door into your house.

it can be disabled with some elbow grease on most platforms even if they dont support libreboot hardenedlinux.github.io/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

All x86 hardware post 1993 is compromised.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

Only a retard like you would think that. What they probably think is that Tor encryption is a great security measure, not that Tor is making them anonymous in those cases.
Why is it that the people who howl the loudest about imaginary problems with Tor are the people who obviously know the least about it?

How exactly is having your personal data transmitted directly through CIA controlled tor nodes secure?

t. tinfoil moron

Unless you use AES instructions like a retard, it's prohibitively expensive to recognize encryption on a CPU. What remains is a possibility that the chip checks for certain actions in operating systems (say Windows' crypto API calls), but that has to be tailored to the OS and is more likely to affect Windows than all the different Linux versions.

That said, fuck ME and PSP, I'll stay on old AMD CPUs forever if I have to.

The TOR nodes run on intel CPUs, at least most of them do. Are you that thick you dont understand how that would compromise them?

But thats fucking bullshit. Most of the nodes are run by guys who want to mix their latent traffic with Tor traffic.

t. Tor exit node server owner

For the low-end desktop chips, you allegedly have to run some special software on localhost to enable the remote admin functionality. But it's entirely possible the Intel ME microcontroller also listens constantly for a "magic packet" on the LAN or WLAN, which causes it to engage the same RAT in a true backdoor style.
It might even be possible to deliver a magic packet over web, but that could leave more evidence behind in various logs. Whereas a useless ethernet frame will normally just get ignored rather than audited.

t. cia nigger

t. cia nigger

Can I turn this off somehow with libreboot?

Build your own CPU.

You're probably the cia nigger here. Agent Fud has been trying to shill everyone into not using Tor since forever. Sounds a lot like you, doesn't it?

based, how bad is it from a legal point of view?

As far as i can tell Libreboot limits it significantly[1], and has full control over what gets put into SMM. It's just regular x86 code, unlike Intel ME which are mandatory encrypted/obfuscated blobs. Unfortunately SMM is used to realize key features like power management so you can't really turn it off completely, although it's certainly theoretically possible.

[1]Based on this quote: "On x86 devices, non-free boot firmwares have a tendency to put a lot of code to run in SMM. In contrast Coreboot keep it to a minimum." from coreboot.org/Security#Auditable_code