FUCK ARCH

i SWear to fuckin god Holla Forums i'm posting this shit from a live usb

I ran arch for years, no problems, i fucking update, bam, no boot, everything gone. use at your own motherfucking peril. I'm about to install Xubuntu over this shit just to get it working again. Goddammit arch you have failed me. I don't have have 1000 hours to debug this shit i need it up, i had raid going, crypto etc, trying to recover this shit isn't going to happen

Thanks arch, you have failed me

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system
lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-announce/
twitter.com/archlinux
archlinux.org/feeds/news/
hyperbola.info/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
github.com/chiru-no/cloveros/releases/download/20170617/CloverOS-x86_64-20170617.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install antergos.

i don't know what the fuck that is but tldr dont' install arch for anything you consider critical ever. you will be fucking burned one day, and then you will be fucked. I always thought, ah man i'll be fine, wrong. Fuck Arch. I have vm's for everything else. 1 update, after a week, burn. It's not like I tried to update after 2 or god forbid 6 months, 1 week, i update after 1 week and all is fucked, years arch, years, i used to be a fanboy, never a fuckinggain. Anything work critical and it's xubuntu, fuck i hate ubuntu, but jesus christ what, debian stable? 18 months out of date? i don't know anymore

Yep, that's Arch.

Don't be stupid and look at pacman.log. From what you've described grub probably failed to install or there was a new kernel which broke something. You can always just chroot and revert changes. Don't be a noob and reinstall OS when something breaks, that's what windows users do.

grub isn't the problem, i got past that fine, grub decrypted the drives, it boots the kernel, multiple modules fail, no wifi, no Ethernet, no usb, X11 fails, luckily nothing important was in there, but if there was it would have cost me 10 hours trying to get something else to recognize the encrypted raid, i got way to deep in unstable arch

the failure is mine. i should have had a plan for this, i did not. hey i want to stream audio to my android, fuck i guess i'll finally have to install pulseaudio to do it. I want to be safe, i've had minor problems before, i'll do a full system update before i just go and install pulseaudio, cool, it's done, reboot, nope fuck you

Thats what you get when you are using shit distro, Gentoo/Slackware are last good options in Linux world.

also pacman.log updated 300 packages, 1 kernel update does that. no log offered any useful information.

I did spend 2 hours on this before i even made the post.

If your running arch, maybe wait a few days. I hate making this post from Xubuntu but atleast it's somewhat stable.

I always thought arch instability was a meme, it's not. You will get burned one day.

lmfao

Gentoo was what I've been planning on upgrading too, but i've only fucked with it in VM's. I haven't even brought a desktop environment up in it yet. I like the idea of compiling from source, but I don't have 16 cores to do it. For a daily driver, where work shit is important, is it even viable? I imagine the gentoo package manager is just as susceptible to this type of thing once raid and crypto get involved, and then what, instead of getting fucked by arch after an update, you wait and compile for 16 hours and then get fucked? arch's thing is to be bleeding edge, i get that, i don't think there's any control between upstream and arch, how hard does gentoo test shit before it hits their repo's? with arch, it's the answer is zero.

Yup, and some of them install Linux then, because Linux advocates claim it's more user friendly, so by now the Linux community is filled with people like that. Better get used to it.

If you had a used a real OS like a man you wouldn't be having these problems user...

i was never burned by it, now i know. i will forever now be anti-arch. I lost nothing super critical, but lost enough to be pissed off about it, this never should have happened.

This is why I've never even considered arch in a server environment, I've always used debian, I don't care if apache is 2 years out of date, as long as it works, and stays working without me having to check in every few hours. For desktop I'd like it as fast as possible, I sacrificed too much for bleeding edge.

1. Design and maintain a backup plan
2. Keep a Lignux live USB as part of that plan
3. Keep your /home partition separate to your Lignux installation.

Sounds like you fucked up your encrypted autism grub setup and are upset that you fucked it up.
Bleeding edge distros are not non-deterministic. Just deal with it, autist. Then take your blog post somewhere else, only drooling autists would give two shits that you fat fingered or failed to connfigure your ricing setup correctly.

grub is fine, i did nothing special. I plugged in 2 harddrives, and did a softraid on 2 partitions, one on each drive, then encrypted them.

this setup worked fine for the past 10 months since i did a fresh re-install.

It's after the fact now, but after I spend the time to actually set that shit up, and everything hums along fine for 10 months, 1 random update and then it gets burned, arch is not for anything you actually give a shit about.

wtf i love windows now!

actually you are right to some extent as far as grub, but grub was never the problem. It was more complicated, it was 2x hard drive -> 2x partition -> 1x softraid -> 2x partition , boot(crypto) / root(crypto).

that's pretty autist i guess, but it's not that bad if you want raid + crypto, it's nothing that out of the ordinary, it just takes a while to setup. Grub never had a problem, it handled raid and crypto fine, arch was the problem. I expect once I set it up I wont' have to re-set it up and literally re-install everything once every few months.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system

i'm never installing window again, xubuntu will do for now until i have the time to stick gentoo/debian/anything but arch on it if it's viable. I haven't run a windows install outside of a linux vm in 3 years solid now.

o really? you see anything here at
lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-announce/
twitter.com/archlinux
archlinux.org/feeds/news/
that says hey WARNING upgrade and your going to have to unfuck the entire fucking kernel?

maybe i should rtfm and submit a bug report, maybe i'll get a medal for being the first one whose system was totally fucked, and then get told, this ticket doesn't belong here, put it upstream, in one of the 300 packages that could have caused the problem in the last week

thx arch linux

"Before upgrading, users are expected to visit the Arch Linux home page to check the latest news, or alternatively subscribe to the RSS feed, arch-announce mailing list, or follow @archlinux on Twitter. When updates require out-of-the-ordinary user intervention (more than what can be handled simply by following the instructions given by pacman), an appropriate news post will be made. "

ya okay, when does that EVER fucking happen, maybe if I waited 3 fucking months, like the last ssl fiasco, or the gpp fiasco, but then i would have ran into even MOAR problems, because then, i wouldn't have updated in over 3 months, and then, any ticket would be like hey bro LOL you fuckin newb, you didn't update in 3 months, update err'day bro

are you retarded? if you want a stable distro dont use arch. pls stop bumping this garbage thread.

im a good goy, nothing there
Oh fuck
do XYZ.

I never said arch was stable. But other previous arch fanboys should be warned, it usually is stable, which encourages complacency, but then one day...
fucked

not really. you probably did something retarded. do you know that arch linux doesn't support partial system upgrades?

why would anyone even think about using something that wasn't somewhat stable in the first place? What is this templeOS? it's not templeOS. Arch isn't put out there as a fuckin meme or something you tweak with, it's put out there on the same level as Gentoo, but with pre-compiled packages, that shit needs to be stomped. You won't see the anger until you get fucked by it.

then don't use it bro. why are you so buttblasted about a linux distro?
consider killing yourself

I didn't do any "partial system upgrades". I explicity did a full system upgrade and then rebooted ( and then got fucked ) before I failed to even get to a partial system upgrade.

But even then, once I did manage to install pulseaudio if I even had the chance, my system was then 20 minutes out of date with the repo's, at which point i'm still susceptible to the "partial system upgrade" failure.

i've used this for the the past couple of years, that's why i'm buttblasted, i've never got fucked this hard, I promoted arch sometimes even, not anymore.

do you have any fucking clue how package managers work?

drop the "consider". fucking kill yourself.

This thread is more about a learning experience which should be shared. Is arch totally shit? I dunno probably not. I used it for years and then started to depend on it being stable which ended up in total failure. Ubuntu or Mint are no better, debian stable is probably the gold standard for this but then again they everything there is super out of date.

The learning moment here is always back up (not to the cloud). I failed in this.

The other learning moment here is not to use an experimental operating system for anything important ( but what else would you use it for).

More importantly I think a better learning event here is how important cohesion in the packages is. I got complacent with "fuck it i want the latest packages for everything". A slight tweak in a lower one will fuck all higher ones, which isn't a problem and rarely seen unless it's something like kernel modules, and then it's game over.

I used to put little faith in something like debian where shit sat for years before it hit stable, even ubuntu, but ubuntu got ran over by sjw's, either way ubuntu still relies on debian. i know have a greater respect for debian doing some testing on shit before they dump it on the repo's.

nice blogpost. can you please stop bumping now?

given, i'll let it die

No. This thread is important because people need to know that Arch is shit.

I've run it for almost 3 years.
Arch is not shit.
Linux is shit.
The *nix fags are afraid of change. They're afraid of improvement, even though they have total control.

It's quite amusing really. On the other hand, it's fucking infuriating to be forced to interact with so many greybeard manbabies. Eg., how is it that 20 years down the road, nobody can build a simple, well-rounded fucking terminal?

Arch isn't that bad, if you know the guarantees though. You're playing with fire, the "development machine" is the one you're running right now.

Unfortunately this is after the fact, but you shouldn't ever use RAID with Arch systems. Since Arch just runs with the latest Linux kernel, there's always been huge instability with RAID systems. I remember a couple years back there was an official Linux kernel upgrade that just didn't know how to RAID good, and would corrupt/overwrite some RAID configurations. It eventually got fixed, but not before fucking a lot of people's machines.

On the flipside, Apple recently upgraded several million iOS devices with an entirely new filesystem flawlessly overnight.
Personally, I'll eventually move away from this dinosaur museum and get a Fagbook. I'm tired of getting preached to about how a system is so good when all I deal with is shit.

The one important latest update on arch was ncurses package. You probably fucked up your ncurses update, maybe it has something to do with some AUR package that depends on older version of ncurses.

Arch is an experts-only distro, if you can't handle it install Debian.

And I have seen Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, etc all blow up during an upgrade.

Windows too.

Make a backup. If you don't then it's your fault when things can't be recovered.

Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE Leap, etc. May break during a version upgrade (going from Debian 7 to Debian 8, for example) which is a thing you may want to do every 2 years (or 5 if you're running a server.)

Arch may break by updating packages because there are no sane defaults and packages are not tested before release. Oh, and updates are daily. Delaying updates too long is a problem in Arch because missed updates and AUR shenanigans.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed doesn't break as often. Debian SID doesn't break as often. Fucking Gentoo doesn't break as often. Arch's way of dealing with updates and configurations doesn't work.

Nigger read this
The problem was using RAID with something that always uses the latest or close to the latest kernels. It doesn't have anything to do with bleeding edge packages or delaying updates or whatever dumb shit you are thinking.

stop being a retard

This specific case from what OP is describing seems to be a RAID problem.

and were not specifically talking about OP's problem.

Even then, the point you were trying to make is nonsense since literally says that RAID is problematic in Arch thanks to the kernel updates.

tl;dr, eat a dick.

kek

No distribution does this shit because no one is retarded enough to push packages from upstream without testing them, except Arch retards.

Arch devs compile with as many dependencies as they can, never configure anything or put sane defaults on the system and never test packages be cause they expect users to do all that.

Arch is only popular thanks to ricers and LARPers acting like 1337 sysadmins. It's a pain in the ass to install, use and maintain and the devs are lazy fucks that only care about their e-peen.

I feel your pain. And i HIGHLY recommend using Fedora. I hate Ubuntu AND Debian. And pretty much any other distro if i'm considering the out-of-the-box "just werks" factor, which increasingly become more relevant in people's lives once they stop being NEET.

No, it's popular because despite its failings it is still attractive. It has, hands down, some of the best Linux documentation in existence, and the default installation isn't loaded with bloatware and unnecessary tools.
I used to use several Debian-based distros (including Ubuntu), until I monitored my network connection after a fresh install and repeatedly noticed ~10 different connections to canonical (among others) data centers.

I installed Arch because there was only enough software there to get Linux running.
The rolling release model was also a nice plus. It's frustrating to do an entire system re-install a-la-Windows when you could just continuously keep the entire system up to date.

Every binary distro does that because there's no way to tell what users will need. Just because you don't need a package compiled with some dependency doesn't mean nobody else won't need it.

That's not true at all. Just as an example tell me how the startx script is handled in Arch. Now tell me how the same is done in Gentoo.

Only if you are retarded.

git gud.

praise kek

How do you know this?

nvm. i'm a idiot and misread one of OP's posts.

What are you on? OP explicitly mentions using RAID. Linux has fucked up RAID in the past. Arch blindly trusts Linus to not break things.

The error was in the kernel, not Arch. However, this is one of the natural consequences of a rolling release system.

install gentoo

This is what LARPers actually believe. The ONLY reason to install Arch is because you don't care if your system breaks because it's a hobby. If you want a usable system which you need for daily life then Arch is the exact wrong thing to choose.

A constant stream of misinformation by fanatics does that to gullible people.

Putting arch on a server is retarded, but laptop or dev machine is fine. Op just needs to learn to loonix if they want to go the arch route, it's not meant to be a ubuntu

Don't waste your time with that guy. He's probably using X listening to a TCP port right now and thinking he's a geeky mastermind because his ffmpeg install wasn't compiled against libx264.

What you want is a minimal install. Most distros offer it, including Debian and Ubuntu, and I know from experience Debian's is more minimal than base Arch.
You're comparing Arch's minimal install to Ubuntu's full install. That isn't sensible.

The idiocy of some of these didn't-read-the-thread, jumping-to-ignorant-conclusions, trying-to-sound-like-an-expert replies is another good reason not to use arch. The arch user base is obnoxious, cancerous fakes.

Is this the pinnacle of Linux?

Maybe THIS IS WHY software isn't free, because fixing it every 5 seconds isn't learning, it's a waste of fucking time.

the problem with linux niggers is that they are too retarded to realize the user should only provide the minimum data to make shit work. It doesn't matter if I have a genius IQ or not, when I use your software, I'm a user, treat me only as a user, don't waste my time on useless shit, don't require me to know about your software more than I should. Time is money and linux niggers seem to enjoy wasting it for fun (and because they don't make money anyway)

linux niggers remind me of old people who prefer to not use automation and go with manual methods, they enjoy wasting their time, they don't mind that they are less productive, to them, more effort = always more fun.

I seriously expected a TempleOS screenshot.

What are you on? It was my main laptop OS for nearly three years. I used it all through Compsi in college with no problem.
The only time I ever had to boot back into windows was literally to use Word, PowerPoint, or use Steam.
Google Drive/Docs etc.. is a lifesaver for college work.

t. retarded windows shill

topkek made me lol

Use parabola. Its totally free as in freedom and lags about a week behind arch.

He not completely wrong though. Linux could be so much better, but everyone insists on staying so far in the past.

Take the systemd issue that seems so incendiary.
Sure systemd probably isn't all that great, trying to do everything all at once.
But what was the alternative? A load of scripts. No OS interface, or some unified, more modern way of talking to the OS in a programmatic manner/with an API.
Nobody wanted to evolve past a concept from the 80s, so of course the one guy who decides to go forward with a new idea is going to be an asshole.

heh that's pretty good user

ITT retards too retarded to use best OS Arch Linux

whats wrong with the debian. i was thinking switching to it since its secure

godammit it sounds like pasta now

Most GNU/Linux users use systemd, so your argument that everyone doesn't like the "modern way" is false, otherwise Gentoo and Slackware would be the most popular distros.

From what I hear, people didn't vote to use systemd, it was "forced" on them.
I don't know the specifics, and maybe the argument has died down. It was a flaming topic for a while though.

OP is living proof that you learn nothing by using Arch.

OP is just a retard, like you and most other people on this board

What the actual fuck. Just use Void, it's basically halfway between debian and arch, minus systemd.
Or slackware if you're old-fashioned, it's still pretty good.

Gentoo devs know what they're doing and portage won't wreck your system. Testing and stable versions exist and you can choose testing on a per-package basis.

No, the Linux latest kernel was the problem, you upgraded and the latest kernel broke your shit, and you were too incompetent to fix it without reinstalling on another distro.
Maybe if you weren't incompetent and had grub setup with multiple kernels, both Linux-latest and Linux-LTS, you could've simply booted with LTS until Linux latest got its shit fixed for your obscure use case.
So yeah, the problem here is not Arch, the problem here is that you don't know how to use your computer. Even Debian and Ubuntu have regressions in LTS kernels.
Just two months ago I had a production machine swapping into oblivion and OOMkilling (despite being nowhere near OOM) server processes because Canonical fucked up backporting something to their kernel. I knew how to fix it and roll back the kernel because I'm not a moron, I didn't come to Holla Forums and whine about how NEWBUNTU fucked up my diay.

The pinnacle of Windows is wrecking millions of users computers via Windows Update every year. Do I need to bring up the fact that they actually bricked installs last year via Windows Update?

And beside this, OP is using the latest kernel. Of course shit will break, there will be regressions. He could've fixed this by using the LTS kernel as a fallback if his autistic setup was important enough for him. Since this is Arch, it was his choice, they didn't make these choices for him aside from releasing an upstream version of a kernel that didn't work for his setup.
To blame Arch is to blame the Linux kernel developers for releasing something that didn't work for his setup. OP just wants to blame Arch because he doesn't know how this works, and he doesn't know how to use his computer in the first place. So something was bound to break, it was just a matter of when and how severe.

No, they're all correct in blaming OP, and you sound like another moron who doesn't know how to use your computer. Seeing as OP doesn't even know how his shit got fucked up, nor did he set up a way to boot with the LTS kernel as a fallback, it's sensible to try and fill in the gaps and just blame the retard who made this retarded blog post thread.
And that's really the point: we know OP's a moron because he made a blog post thread. Everything else is irrelevant.

lmfao

Congratulations. You found a harddrive setup that's even LESS reliable than straight RAID0. I didn't think such an accomplishment possible.

Seriously, I can't even imagine the thought process that went into deciding that this was a good idea. Why on earth did you do that?

Seconding this. I've been using Linux for two decades. Hell, I've even built LFS a few times. But nowadays I'm on Fedora and liking it, because it just goddamn WORKS on my laptop.

The Linux kernel breaks constantly. I've learned to just have multiple kernels out of habit. And further, my habit of being used to regressions in the kernel helped me to keep kernels around on the ubuntu systems I manage. You get used to regressions with something as large as the kernel. Almost to expect it.

It's nobody's fault but OP's that he couldn't boot his system or recover his RAID without reinstalling. If he couldn't boot, it's perfectly recoverable without installation. Hell, if the kernel is the problem, he could've chrooted and downgraded the kernel version. It's not like pacman doesn't keep all of that shit around until you explicitly clean it up. And if he was a retard that cleaned it up before he tested the upgrade, then he could've simply downloaded the old kernel package.

There's no way you can excuse OP's incompetence here. People bitch about kernels not coming fast enough out of testing, and even with how slow they come OP's system still got fucked.

We told you, dog. Install gentoo.
In fact install ubuntu over arch, even ubuntu is better.

This. I've used all the major distros and they all break from time to time. There are only two main differences: distros with traditional release models usually only break between major releases, so people half-expect it. and DIY distros like arch and gentoo piss people off more when they break because the user put so much time and effort into configuring everything themselves (and often are in denial that their own efforts at configuration could have been the cause). Most fuck ups in arch are user created and/or easily rolled back.

Pulled my ALARM flashed pogoplug print server out this weekend, did a pacman -Syu and soft-bricked it. Reinstalled Arch on the SD Card and about 20m later was back up and running.

Arch may be temperamental, but it's easy to fix or reinstall. It's super light and great for quick deployment arm-based fuckery.

OP here, how else would you set it up? I've got 2 hard drives, I want some raid0 performance out of that.

If your setting up soft raid and crypto there's only 2 ways to do it. raid before crypto or crypto before raid.

the raid and then crypto thing worked well for grub, up until this kernel update fucked everything over.

I made serious mistakes with this setup, I just didn't fix them because it worked fine.

- Having multiple kernels on standby: i didn't do this, this is an excellent idea for next time
- /home/ on a separate drive/partition or something: also didn't do this. i would want /home/ on raid, for the performance, i also had dm-crypt setup on top of regular cryptsetup below it on /home/. Ya that sounds retarded but It always worked so why not, with AES acceleration it's free crypto might as well use it.
- Backups: I got complacent and didn't backup like I should have.

This wasn't straight up arch's fault. If I had a bitcoin wallet or something with $10k sitting on that drive obviously i wouldn't have just nuked it with Xubuntu. I'm sure it could have been repaired. The instability thing has thrown me off arch though. If I fuck up the system let me fuck up the system, simply updating with pacman shouldn't assfuck your system, but that's arch i guess.

the ideal vision of a setup is to have a base install that does nothing but serve vm's, where you actually do your shit in. That worked pretty well with arch, you install it right it's pretty thin. I dunno but regardless there shouldn't be problems with setting up raid+crypto. That has to be somewhat standard these days, especially in server environments where linux is almost always used. I don't know how I'd setup Xubuntu to do that, not through the default installer that's for sure. That's what I always liked about arch. Gentoo is the only clear choice I guess, if portage is more competent than pacman.

Why do people think Arch is the only distro that you can install without also installing a DE?

no one thinks that

Loads of people do.

ubuntu's docs are shit and debian is super out of date on their wiki. the best thing arch has going for it is their wiki is great.

gentoo also has a great wiki, but it's a jump to make. I've wondered hopefully portage is better than pacman, but you could be in a situation where updates roll out faster than you can compile them lol. firefox alone could take 6 hours.

No one thinks that.

It doesn't.
Outside of the core stuff lots of articles are filled with outdated and sometimes even plain wrong information.

show me one person that thinks that

You buy a new car. You take it out for a ride. A tree falls before you. You brake, but the car proceeds to hit the tree anyway.
You call the car company and talk to their engineers. One of them asks "Did this happen on a Friday evening, when it was raining?" You say "Yes, how do you know?"
The engineer replies. "Our brakes does not work on rainy Friday evenings. If you REALLY want to brake on a rainy Friday evening, you should also pull the lever under the dashboard that is normally used to open the hood. It is very clearly printed in our manual. Didn't you read it? Our car is not the problem. You are the problem."
You were enlightened. You came back home. You never took the car out on rainy Friday evenings. When somebody asks about the car, you say "Yeah, it is a great car. But you got to know how to use it".
You took great pride in knowing how to drive this car. When you hear that someone got killed while driving this car, you simply say "That car is ok. But you should really know how to drive it, sadly this guy didn't. He was the problem, the car ain't..."

Pretty much everyone using Arch thinks that.

yeah, u mad.

If you don't know the basics of backing up systems regularly, especially before an update, then you really don't deserve to post here.

I back up my systems. I'm happy if my backups turn out to be unnecessary. They're a last resort, not something I expect to rely on.
If Arch is broken I'm going to blame Arch, even if I can fix it.

How can you be so buttblasted about doing a simple 5-10minute task?

Why do you keep blaming a distro whose main philosophy is to not patch anything except in dire circumstances? They give you upstream, upstream is broken for you. It's nothing more than a shell.
I guess you can't see this because you're fucking incompetent and didn't have multiple kernels installed in the first place.

sage

Did you even try to boot into a minimal live USB to see if you can just reinstall grub and your kernel and see what's wrong?
Arch is shit, but it doesn't even sound like you fucking tried to fix it yourself.
Also "no boot" is not an error report. Did you get a "No bootable medium discovered", or a failure of GRUB to find a kernel, or the kernel started and failed to mount the filesystem, etc?
Jesus Nigger, if you thought Arch was a good idea to use, you should have had an idea how the system worked.

All your configs will still be there, you just have to get it booting again, stupid. Just switch to Ubuntu, though. It's shit and unstable, but it's generally less unstable than Arch.

Arch is shit, and an upgrade shouldn't break your boot, but it's stupid to bitch about putting a bleeding-edge rolling release distro on your computer when you don't actually know how to debug a boot failure. That's on you.

% lsblkNAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTsdb 8:16 0 111,8G 0 disk └─crypt-backup-a 253:9 0 111,8G 0 crypt └─vg--backup-backup 253:11 0 298G 0 lvm /backupsr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sdc 8:32 0 186,3G 0 disk └─crypt-backup-b 253:10 0 186,3G 0 crypt └─vg--backup-backup 253:11 0 298G 0 lvm /backupsda 8:0 0 1,8T 0 disk ├─sda2 8:2 0 1,5T 0 part │ └─root 253:1 0 1,5T 0 crypt │ ├─vg--sys-roothome 253:8 0 5G 0 lvm /root│ ├─vg--sys-var 253:6 0 20G 0 lvm /var│ ├─vg--sys-swap 253:4 0 17G 0 lvm [SWAP]│ ├─vg--sys-root 253:2 0 20G 0 lvm /│ ├─vg--sys-home 253:7 0 400G 0 lvm /home│ ├─vg--sys-VM 253:5 0 300G 0 lvm /VM│ └─vg--sys-opt 253:3 0 10G 0 lvm /opt├─sda3 8:3 0 362,5G 0 part │ └─vg--raw-usr 253:0 0 70G 0 lvm /usr└─sda1 8:1 0 512M 0 part /boot

I've been running on this setup for years with no issues. My backup filesystem is two encrypted disks raided together in LVM, and my main system is a crypted LVM PV.
Gentoo is only generally as susceptible to it as you are. Gentoo is very stable, and will generally not update to a kernel until it's determined to be very safe and stable. You can, of course, override it by selecting the testing packages, but it's assumed that you know what you're doing and won't fuck yourself through ignorance.

please elaborate

I have 16G of RAM, because I use this machine to run massive (for a desktop workstation) arrays of dozens of VMs for testing purposes as a developer. I always have my SWAP roughly the same size as or slightly larger than my RAM so I can reliably hibernate if I need to (though I never end up doing it, in practice).

wew lad

Are you mentally handicapped?

wew lad

Replace them with SSDs then. One big one for /home, a smaller one for every other partition.

Using RAID0 for data for any reason whatsoever is fundamentally pants-on-head retarded. You've been burned once by RAID0, and yet you STILL want to use it. There's no educating you.

No offense OP, but unless you like debugging or you're just using the PC for fiddling around, you shouldn't be using a bugprone distro that cares more about being on the newest shit than the stablest shit.

Didn't Arch have filemanagers with systemd dependencies?

Except for you.

You're a pretty smart guy.

sysad NGMI
go build SAP shit and wallow in pajeet companies using VS

Newb pls

Incompetence is a common user trait.

topkek n00b

You fell for the meme and paid for it. Now you know better.

Gentoo is a rolling release and is very stable if you don't have the testing keyword globally.

The only reason I'd want a rolling distro is for the most recent AMD mesa drivers. And since the Padoka PPA is a thing now...

User Arch Stable. Plus: GNU Freedom

hyperbola.info/

You ran Arch for years and you don't know how to fix a simple boot issue.

Who do you think you're lying to?

He's not lying. The majority of Arch users are the same people who watch Mr.Robot, thus a bunch of retarded wannabes

FUCK ARCH. im going to wipe and install ubuntu

Works On My Machine.™ I've had issues with Manjaro, but absolutely no problems with Arch, even with OpenRC which is unsupported. Is shitting on Arch just that much of a meme or am I a special kind of autist? I'm not even a Reifag.

Also, I think that's just a Firefox bug. I'm pretty sure it's happened to me on (((Windows))) and other Linux distros.

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
am on ubuntu now. audio works again. FUCK ARCH

I meant it stopped working if I play a lot of webms at once. They must have fixed the one you linked to. I don't have pissaudio installed and it's never happened to me. I have sound right now on Firefox 53.

kys and stay kys

I used Ubuntu Sever Edition before I even heard of Arch.

mozilla disabled the alsa backend with v52 and removed it completely from v54. so next update it is either pissaudio or noaudio. FUCK ARCH tbh

You do know that you can use pissaudio on arch, right? Not supporting alsa is sjwzilla's fault.

NO ARCH FUCKED UP MY FIREFOX INSTALL. I WAS JUST DOING pacman -Syu AND BAM! I HAD TO WIPE AND INSTALL UBUNTU. ARCH BROKE E V E R Y T H I N G !!!!!!!!
FUCK ARCH

dude what is so hard to understand about this situation?
i will greentext it for you again:

epic rusecruise bro xDD

dude i lost all my data just because the arch maintainers fucked up!

lol poorfags

why would i need to buy new hardware when the problem is with the software?

You're just pretending to be retarded, right?

maybe. but arch is _actually_ retarded.

It's time to step up to a proper distro, user. You've outgrown Arch. Now it's time to install CloverOS.

github.com/chiru-no/cloveros/releases/download/20170617/CloverOS-x86_64-20170617.iso

all me

Install a rolling distro that's not made by and for autistic ricers.

One that actually works, for people that use their PCs instead of installing i3-gaps with an anime wallpaper.

Suggestions: Void, Tumbleweed, and yes, Gentoo

polite sage

polite anti-sage

Void has got that cool hipster fresh vibe that all gnusers crave.

Its a good distro, from what I've seen of it, its trying to be a saner version of Arch.

Gentoo is not kosher anymore. It has a trans dev and we should hate it for it.
Get with the 8ch programming, son.

impossible. arch is the best, most sane distro

Arch is shit :D

A more serious response:
1. Arch is shit because it's not good at any particular task, not good as a server, not good at gayme, not good at security, not good at configuration, not good at debug, etc etc
2. No one notable uses it
3. 4chan's favorite
4. systemd
5. no live usb (bigger deal than you think)
6. less customization than Gentoo
7. poor productivity

nothing's wrong with Debian. it's the best general-purpose distro in existence.

kys OP